You Can Raise A Wyvern on Official Without Milk

DrSmithDVM

So, I've seen some posts about using a pig to heal babies. I've raised wyverns with milk before, as part of a tribe. I've wanted to try one solo without milk. So I'm on Official Legacy PVE, and I used the 2X maturation weekend to give it a go, and here's what happened:

Setup: 2 x ice wyvern eggs (25 and 175), Daeodon (480 weight full of cooked meat), 4 feeding troughs full of cooked meat (1800 meat each)

First Test - Level 25 egg

I used the hands-off approach for this one. After it hatched, I waited around for the first imprint. Of course it was milk, so I decided to turn the pig on and log off for the night. If it died, no big deal. If it lived, I'm a genius. An interesting thing I haven't noticed before: by the this time the food had dropped to zero, health was decreasing, AND torpor was actually increasing, but only by a smidgen, not enough to worry about, maybe like 40 points an hour.

I logged in the next morning, maybe 9 hours later, and it had died of course. Only one trough was empty, so it seemed like the pig tried to heal it, and according to the tribe log it lived maybe another 2 in-game days.

Second Test - Level 175 egg

I knew the second one would be worth a little more work. First two imprints were taking a walk, thank goodness. The food ran out in between the first and second imprint time. My strategy here was to stay in render range and see if the pig would heal it more often, and it was pretty often. It barely lost more than a few hundred health. This was obviously wasted food. So I turned off the pig and started to fill the troughs again and keep an eye on the health and torpor. Like before, torpor was negligible. It seemed to be losing about 1200 to 1600 health an hour (maybe server lag caused the difference?), so I would turn the pig on about every 90 minutes to heal it again. It would heal up all the way in just a minute or so. I eventually got tired and needed to at least take a nap. So after the fourth imprint (they were all taking a walk, which was really rare for me), I set an alarm for the next, turned on the pig, and took a nap. My hope was that since it had more health, maybe it would stay alive longer. Unfortunately, it also died, one in-game day before I got back in for the imprint. The last maturation percentage I saw was 30%.

Conclusions

Most important of all, I believe it is possible to raise a wyvern on official without milk. If used every 90 minutes, the daeodon will heal it enough to keep it alive and the torpor increase due to starving is minimal. The problem is the frequency at which it needs to be healed. The level 175 only took a few hours to die. It would be an Ironman-like effort to do solo for sure. There are also some other variables that need to be looked at further.

Observations

1. Getting milk is definitely a lot easier, even if you have to trade for it.

2. I didn't know torpor on dinos increased after food hit zero (obviously it does on players).

3. When using the staggered daeodon healing every 90 minutes or so, cooked meat is not as necessary. Raw meat should work just fine. Cooked meat gives you an extra 600 meat per trough with a longer spoil timer, but it's a lot more work, even with two industrial grills.

4. There were some weird things going on with the daeodon and its food levels. Sometimes it seemed like the food would drain completely, it would stop healing, and it wouldn't eat unless I left render distance and came back.

Questions

1. If I went AFK instead of completely logging off, would the pig heal more effectively?

2. Does the food level of the pig glitch out and that was why the wyverns died?

3. Would anyone actually do this on official rather than just using milk?

There's some ARK science for ya.

when you log out, offline raid protection (orp in short) enables

when orp enables all your dinos freeze and go in stasis

so while the wyvern was still raising up, the daeodon no longer healed that's why you have to stay online the full process if you use this method

just place a chair next to your aircos, so you can afk there (and keep your dinos out of stasis)

other than that you did allright by the looks

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, Mystalias said:

I wonder if the baby dragons would eat corpses if you brought them close enough and kept them on neutral? (First thing I thought of when I read that you were using a pig... I was thinking dead phiomias, not the daodon, heh)

No, baby won't aggro corpses.

4 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

No, baby won't aggro corpses.

Guess that leaves the mesopithecus as the only creature that will feed itself as a baby... This daodon method seems like it might work for a tribe with 24/7 coverage though... though that seems like an awful lot of meat farming... Though you could do this with multiple wyverns at a time to spread the heal effect around.

yeah as stated by raptor, orp freezes everything, plus you cannot stay on a chair anymore, because if you afk for an hour you get kicked off the server (thanks wc lol.), i personally wouldn't waste my efforts on it, 360 per hour is the average food drain, even on the first day it'd have more than enough time, and of course you don't hatch the egg just before you log off, plus the amount of effort going into making those cooked meat, a player could've already ko'd a female wyvern pretty easily, you only do the daeodon if you live on a map without milk such as island and center and want imprints on that character instead (plus rnglord needs to only give u walks and cuddles)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think I fed my 195 fire 4-5 times over the weekend x2 event a month or so ago.

milk on rag lasts longer than SE, milk on island lasts longer than Rag...I know right?

I would only ever suggest raising 4 wyverns at a time and try getting them roughly the same level as an egg. that's 4 milk per wyvern and 1 for imprinting. 200% xbow can be considered overkill by some but works a treat, just get your trap built (metal for an alpha) and the rest becomes too easy. the trick is getting the egg incubated down to within a bees dilo of hatching.

32 minutes ago, X111 said:

I think I fed my 195 fire 4-5 times over the weekend x2 event a month or so ago.

milk on rag lasts longer than SE, milk on island lasts longer than Rag...I know right?

I would only ever suggest raising 4 wyverns at a time and try getting them roughly the same level as an egg. that's 4 milk per wyvern and 1 for imprinting. 200% xbow can be considered overkill by some but works a treat, just get your trap built (metal for an alpha) and the rest becomes too easy. the trick is getting the egg incubated down to within a bees dilo of hatching.

Hahahahaha!!! Bees dilo!!!! 

Thank you!

Many people have tried this, and they all fail. 

on a private server with rates x5 or more. this is possible.. the first 60% of the maturing rate,  causes the torpor to raise much slower than last stretch.. 

I have seen people feeding the wyvrens stimmberries the just so they would wake up, to heal them.. and thats just people that already gave them milk earlier on. If you can only manage to get a few milk, get them later on..  but getting milk is rather easy.. even on a PvP map.. 

Back when I originally posted this, it seemed like every other day there was a new post asking if it was possible to raise a wyvern without milk. The goal with the title was to hopefully make it pop up in an average search and avoid seeing the same conversation repeated over and over again.

I think we all agree that getting milk is easier than trying to keep a wyvern alive without milk. I have yet to fully test the AFK method, but it's coming soon. If anyone has had success with the Daeodon method please feel free to share.

Archived