A beginner in need of help with "moving servers"...

Aldalasse

What I want:

A cluster of multiple ark maps (the Island, the Center, SE, Aberration...), running on my husband's computer. Two people, sitting next to each other on separate computers, should be able to play on these maps together. I want to be able to move my character, tames and items between these maps, but all the maps need not be "running" at the same time, as we are likely to play only on one or two maps per evening (it would actually be preferrable if time wasn't running ingame on a map when we aren't logged in there).

What I have:

The Island running on a private server on my husband's computer, both of us can play there. The Center running on a paid-for external server where we used to play with a couple of friends, who for now stopped playing Ark. These two maps are in no way connected for the moment. The ideal would be to move the Center game (with all the constructions and tames) from the external server to my husband's computer and connect it with our previous the Island game. We would, preferrably, continue using the characters we now have on the Center, but it would also be possible to start with entirely new characters or use the ones we have on the Island. If this works, we would later buy and add other maps to our little dinoverse

What I am:

Very unexperienced in computer lingo & working on stuff like this (see, I can't even name what it is that I'm trying to do here... which is the main reason why I would probably not even recognize another post explaining this, if there already is one around).

Question 1:

Is this possible?

IF YES, then:

Question 2:

How? I would really appreciate a detailled description!

Question 3:

How "safe" would moving between maps be? I've seen plenty of complaints about people losing everything when trying to move between servers, but I have no idea whether this only is  a problem of official servers.

Question 4:

Can the different maps have different settings (day length, taming multipliers, dino levels etc.)?

I'll be very grateful  for any helpful replies you can give me! Thank you for your time.

1. Yes

2. You will have to set your cluster folder to some sort of networked share drive. I read that people have setup drives to use FTP for clustering between separate server machines. Now whether or not your server host supports this is anyone's guess. I would put a ticket in and ask them.

Also, I found this on http://arkservermanager.freeforums.net/thread/2118/cross-ark-data-transfer
Symlinking servers on other locations around the world will work as well if you use dropbox or google drive and symlink the cluster folder to the dropbox/drive then on the other location create another symlink from dropbox/drive to the save location. remember all servers must have the same cluster id  

You can do it the old fashion way Read more along with a Extension that will help you w

ww.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Read more:  http://arkservermanager.freeforums.net/thread/2118/cross-ark-data-transfer#ixzz4t8v0jx4i

3. As long as the cluster directory is fine, it is relatively safe. One recommendation though, make sure both servers run the same mods. People using my cluster would occasionally get timeouts when moving from one to the other when they had to load a bunch of mods. This sometimes caused them to lose their character

2 minutes ago, LockeCPM4 said:

3. As long as the cluster directory is fine, it is relatively safe. One recommendation though, make sure both servers run the same mods. People using my cluster would occasionally get timeouts when moving from one to the other when they had to load a bunch of mods. This sometimes caused them to lose their character

A timeout should not result in character lose. The character should be stored in the cluster data if something goes wrong during transfer. Instead of creating a new character you click on download survivor. It should be there.

1 minute ago, Thorium said:

A timeout should not result in character lose. The character should be stored in the cluster data if something goes wrong during transfer. Instead of creating a new character you click on download survivor. It should be there.

While you are correct in this, it is not always the case. Sometimes the player could just log back in and they would have the option of downloading their character, and sometimes not. Regardless, once I made it so my servers ran the same mods, this quit happening.

And realistically, of the 15 times or so it did happen, maybe 3 or 4 of them caused character loss. So it wasn't huge, but definitely annoying.

• 1 month later...

Archived