How to kill bosses on singleplayer?

TheSnives

I've played ark for about 700 hours, and 99.99% of that time I've played singleplayer. And for the entire time I've only attempted a cave once or twice and have never even touched the bosses. Farming for hours in order to get an army of rexes just to lose them all to a boss has just never appealed to me. However, I've been very bored with the game lately and have wanted to give bosses a try. So, as a noob to bosses, i want to know some tips on preparing for, and fighting bosses, especially as a solo player. 

1. Would an army of rexes be enough to kill an alpha boss. Also, would the rexes have to be bred and have high quality saddles or can one or both of those be ignored (In other words: what's a General, reliable way to take down bosses)?

2. How hard is it to even be able to attempt a boss fight. How difficult will it be to get the requirements in order to summon the boss?

3. What are some tips for a solo player in a boss fight?

4. How painful are bossfights? Will they give me crippling anxiety as I watch my rexes get killed one by one?

5. Should I even use rexes? I've heard that megatheriums are good against the broodmother since its a spider, so I wonder if there are better alternatives for rexes.

6. Does ragnarok allow you to fight the bosses one at a time or do you have to fight multiple bosses in the same arena at the same time?

7. Do your dinos teleport back with you after you defeat the boss? Or do all your tames, no matter What, vanish after the fight?

8. What is the general process for breeding super rexes (or any dino for that matter). And should you breed the babies with their parents or should you only breed the parents? Tell me if I'm right: you find and perfect tame 2 lvl 150 rexes. Then I assume you breed them non-stop and only keep the ones with the better of the two stats.

Ok so I'll try to cover all of this but i am coming from an official view point. 

I'll start with saying I believe the boss difficulty is decreased in single player. Ragnarok to the best of my knowledge only has the dragon and manticore boss available and they are a duo battle. The island has the three bosses needed for the tek cave, Spider, Monkey, and Dragon. 

1) An army of Rex's is the preferred method for most people on boss fights though people have had success with other dino's. Theri's are used pretty often against the Dragon, I have heard of great success with wolves vs the monkey, and as you mentioned people have used Megatherium's with good success against the Spider. Most people use Rex's because of great base stats in HP and Melee. A good Yuty should also be utilized as the extra advantage you get from the buff helps immensely. As a single player you are going to want to control the Yuty and whistle command your Rex's. On officials when we faced the Alpha Brood we brought in 18 Rex's, 1, Yuty, and 1 Daedon. Normally we use Daedon's between fights but felt having that added boost was needed and it was. We had 4 rider's but the 1st guy got stuck (a tag along we gave Yuty power too) on the Rex's on spawn in and the Yuty died followed by him shortly after. We came in with Rex's statted between 30-40k hp, 690-800 percent melee and 86+ armor saddles. Our Daedon had 70k food, 6k HP, and wore a 79 armor saddle and we had a rider with a full inventory of cooked meat. Losing the Yuty buff was evident but we defeated her. The Rex I was on which was 91% imprinted to me was down to 2k HP from 36k HP and was wearing a 109 armor saddle. again she is not as difficult on single player but she packs quite the punch. 

2) The hardest part of the requirements are the cave runs but being prepared is key again. Scout the caves and know that long necks, simple shotguns, pikes, simple pistols, health brews, appropriate mounts and armor, grappling hooks, food and water are your best friends as well as taking your time and sleeping bags/spawn points right outside to go back in in case you die and retrieve your stuff/mounts. Check ark wiki for supply and method recommendations. The dino trophies themselves aren't that difficult as while you are leveling your rex's you will just naturally accrue them. 

3) Tips. Practice whistle commands. Stuff your dino's with food before the fight. use a spyglass to target in on the boss. be patient and let the boss get to the right position before engaging and use the max that you can. Don't go in short. You can take 20 dino's take 20 dino's. 

4) They very well could give you anxiety as you watch all your hard work evaporate before your eyes. Once your in be relentless and just know it could all vanish. to me the reward of victory is worth it though. 

5) Again Rex's are preferred method for ease of raising with best base stats of any of the animal's that you can use but do some research with ark wiki, these forums, and youtube video's to find the method that works best for you. 

6) Answered in response 1.

7) Any dino's that survived will teleport back with you up until the tek cave boss. As a matter of fact I'd recommend leaving the element you acquire in one of the dino's because you crashing and losing everything is more likely than the dino's disappearing into the cloud. 

8) I drop any dino over level 100 and check their stats. The ideal stat is 25 percent of their points in a particular stat. I think 20% is pretty good too and so called "unicorn" stats are 30 percent or above pre-tamed. While this doesn't guarantee you anything as the taming stat roll seems to be random it does seem to favor the highest wild stats. using ark smart breeder is apparently an easy method to tarck your dino's their stats, and give you recommendations of which dino to breed with which. Also name your dino's with their best stats. For example; "Currently I am breeding M 15k 537 with F Yellow 143 437" which means I am breeding my male that hatched with 15.1k HP and 537 melee with a Yellow mutated female that hatched with 14.3k and 437 melee. since the HP is close enough I am looking for that 537 melee. If I get it I'll keep the Rex if not I'll harvest it for prime meat and keep on hatching and breeding. I am still trying to learn more about the mutation quotient which a lot of my Rex's currently are infested with color mutations (great when my focus is trading less so now that my focus is boss fights) which could hamper my stat mutations. This is again something that much research must be done on, notes taken to maximize your efforts/efficiency. 

to some this is going to seem like a lot of work and it will take away from the enjoyment of the game. I am a fantasy football nerd so this kind of thinking is right up my alley and I actually enjoy it and of course victory is the sweetest feeling. Some other's in this forum (particularly PC user's who have had the game longer) will be able to give you even better advice but hopefully this gets you started in the right direction. 

Oh and while I didn't really cover it I'll mention it now. Saddles are a great help in boss fights so hit those deep sea and cave drops to get the best BP that you can. 

good luck and have fun. 

1 hour ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Oh and while I didn't really cover it I'll mention it now. Saddles are a great help in boss fights so hit those deep sea and cave drops to get the best BP that you can. 

good luck and have fun. 

Thanks for such a detailed response. It seems like it will take just as much work as I thought but, like I said, I'm running out of things to do in the game. I know you should do all the alpha bosses to unlock all the engrams but I might just do a gamma fight or two just to get the hang of it (I find in ark, having done something before makes things incredibly easier the second time you do them).

16 minutes ago, TheSnives said:

Thanks for such a detailed response. It seems like it will take just as much work as I thought but, like I said, I'm running out of things to do in the game. I know you should do all the alpha bosses to unlock all the engrams but I might just do a gamma fight or two just to get the hang of it (I find in ark, having done something before makes things incredibly easier the second time you do them).

Great idea actually and my approach exactly. I am currently gearing up for the Monkey and Dragon and will do both on Gamma before Alpha the only exception will be the tek cave. Since I am losing all tames either way may as well go for gold right off the bat. 

Hello, I just like to add a few simple things in single player. You can use commands to try the boss system out.

Use GFI command for the different tributes. https://ark.gamepedia.com/GFI_Codes

Use gmsummon "dino name" level number. Example gmsummon "rex_character_bp_c" 120. Tame that 120 rex or use command, dotame, after that.

Use gfi rexsaddle 1 0 0 and use this to get the same rex saddle for all rexes. Just so you learn what you will need to do a boss fight. You might only need 100 rexes who knows.

Command for leveling the rex is addexperience 10000 0 1 used while riding the rex. Or take your rex tame to alfa carnos avoid alfa raptors since they are much harder (gets under the rex).

Once in the arena type leavemealone before you do anything. If you do not want to die. If you do not want to loose more rexes use command, kill, while looking at the boss.

After some tries you can do it the right way described by yekrucifixion187.

I am not sure if they changed single player difficulty to be the same as on official new network servers. But on official servers it is a time constraint different for each boss and alfa beta gamma bosses. I think that they now have each boss on the same level on each fight. So each boss fight should be the same more or less. To be honest so much changes to the system has been made the last weeks before ARK survival evolved launch that the only way to be sure is to do these test.

Once you done the boss fight once, your character will forever have done it. So use a newly created character / player just to try these things out. Because once you done it the right way/hardway. you want to use your ordinary player character.

It is a moment in ark you will never forget.

13 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Once you done the boss fight once, your character will forever have done it. So use a newly created character / player just to try these things out. Because once you done it the right way/hardway. you want to use your ordinary player character.

It is a moment in ark you will never forget.

Yeah I may or may not do that. Ive recently started on ragnarok so these bossfights will be a little in the future. However what might end up happening is I try the gamma boss, miserably fail, and then try cheats to see how hard it'll be legit.

Good, I like that you do it step by step. However please start with the Island boss on easy to learn. Before you go against two bosses on Ragnarok. In the arena stay far away from the fighting rexes and the boss, you can ride a yutyrannus a bit away solo player if you want. In the future I am sure you can transfer your Ragnarok rexes to the Island in single player. I could not now, when testing it. Online this is a large part of the gameplay. The first time for me was a failure, lost everything. That was on the Island easy boss.

Edit: I probably did my test badly transfering a dino and character from Ragnarok to the Island in single player.

I have not tested it but with enabled character and dino transfers and the game starts in "host non dedicated server" option you should be able to transfer your dinos from Ragnarok to the Island.

On 16/09/2017 at 11:03 PM, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Depends on the boss. I have heard Gamma Brood can be done with tamed and leveled rexes

Good to know....just seems my leveled rexes have pretty good stats. Around 70k health and 2k melee..so what I've been reading that should be more than enough. Just can't see me getting into breeding if I don't absolutely have to.

If I have 19 rexes at 70k and 2k melee that "should" be more than enough to take out gamma brood right?? Maybe even gamma monkey? 

My worst fear is taking these rexes I've had since practically the beginning and losing them..stressfull stuff taking on the bosses by yourself..i have the single player settings unchecked to so I'm not sure if I get any buffs or not..im still a few rexes away but I'll post my results. 

On 9/17/2017 at 10:16 PM, Mrstcrook69 said:

Good to know....just seems my leveled rexes have pretty good stats. Around 70k health and 2k melee..so what I've been reading that should be more than enough. Just can't see me getting into breeding if I don't absolutely have to.

If I have 19 rexes at 70k and 2k melee that "should" be more than enough to take out gamma brood right?? Maybe even gamma monkey? 

My worst fear is taking these rexes I've had since practically the beginning and losing them..stressfull stuff taking on the bosses by yourself..i have the single player settings unchecked to so I'm not sure if I get any buffs or not..im still a few rexes away but I'll post my results. 

I'm not going to say that you are completely safe. Fact is, the game could glitch. So if you are really worried about your rexes, breed babies with their stats and take those in instead.

• 3 months later...
On 9/16/2017 at 7:38 AM, TheSnives said:

to get the hang of how a boss fight works i use the same method when running caves that I have not done before or I've gotten rusty at.

I usually will go in naked. Taking no gear with me, and just running the course of a cave to get a feel of it, what to expect inside and understand the layout and spawn points.

WIth boss fights, doing gamma is a safe bet to get to know these fights. As it takes the least amount of requirements to start (just artifacts). I would also bring in trash dinos you don't plan on keeping and don't mind if they die. just to get a feel of damage output on dinos. Not everyone's preferred method as you still have to bring those dinos to the platform to do the fight and tame. 

I remember awhile back a friend of mine kept suggesting to not use saddles on dinos as all bosses ignore armor when doing damage. I still am not convinced he was right. I figure it was a matter of what attack is used that ignores armor.

One new method players are using is Stegosaurus on BroodMother. i have not tried it, but I know the defensive boost and mechanic of the fight and the way stegos work that it sounds like a viable option.

I remember someone trying a short dino like an ankylo. Most of Broodmothers more devastating attacks will miss.

Yek has covered it prett well.

Id suggest you star on gamma and work your way up, on ragnarok you will want Rexs and a yut. Kill the dragon first.

If you have good Rex stats monkey becomes quick and simple, as long as your careful with your positioning (Rex's that fall off the bridge will die).

Ive done gamma brood with 18 140+ tamed megas a yut and Daedon with no losses, and could probably have done beta with the same crew.

Dragon for me is the one that gets the heart racing, sometimes it's easy, sometimes Rex's die, stay away from the lava and keep that piggy healing. Recently I have had more success with theros but that meant starting a new breed line.

As for breeding stats/mutations. In the simplest way I can explain it (there are some good vids on YouTube going into a lot of depth)

1. Breed your top male and females until you get a male and female with the best, identical stats possible. These are M0 and F0.

2. Breed M0 and F0 until you get a mutation in health or melee. 

3. If a female has the mutation breed with M0 until you get the mutated stat on a male.

4. Breed the male with F0 until you achieve another mutation and carried over the previous mutation.

5. If female breed with previous generations male until both mutations carry over.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you have a beast.

What's interesting, and maybe its my single player settings, but after putting in a few levels, which come extremely quick (i know player exp is increased on my a slight bit, but not sure if my dinos got the same boost) I have a ravager with over 600 melee and 6K health. Normally you couldn't get that much in those stats on an official server. The increase per point used is a lot lower. So is this a single player setup?

Given that putting a few levels into things I have dinos with stats that would normally take months of breeding to get in official.    If I tamed 140-150 rexes and leveled them and then bred them in single player, I wouldn't need any mutations, I could kill the bosses with the ones I bred easily. Now I always thought the reason for higher stat increase per point was because you simply can't log out of the game and the game would progress without you like how a normal server works.

Archived