ARK Digest Q&A: Aberration Questions!

Jatheish

Question 1. What will be the largest dinosaur from the other maps you can find on Aberration?

Question 2. Will there be a creature with variants, like how the Wyverns are? Or are theLantern Pugs creatures going to have variants, you guys metioned something at Pax West on a twitch livestream?

Question 3. Will any Aberration content spawn on other maps, like how scorched earth content is on Ragnarok?

Question 4. Is the hive creature in the devkit for Aberration or Scorched Earth? Or is ita scrapped idea?

Question 5. I believe you guys (and girls don't worry Jen I haven't forgotten you.) are planning on adding 12 creatures to this map, will there be any more?

Question 6. Will the nameless themselves be tameable, or only the queen? Will it kinda be like how the whole bee taming works, so tame the queen and any minions she spawns are yours?

Question 7. Is there a creature or tool that specializes in killing or warding off the nameless? I am aware the light gun scares off nameless or is super effective against them, but is there anything else?

Question 8. Will any aquatic creatures be on this map?

Question 9. Will there be a new building type, kinda like how adobe was added? Or are the rock platforms all, alongside a few other cool buildings?

Question 10. Can you tell everyone a really cool thing about Aberration that hasn't been revealed yet?

I know that all of you can't answer these questions, as you gotta leave some hype. But please answer one at least.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 3 very distinct questions, touching on 3 very different fields.

Regarding difficulty/balance:
1) Will the creatures of Aberration be more balanced across the board, rather than have an "overpowered" creature be the go to for land/air/sea? This was the major issue for me with the other maps, and was never really balanced out, so my poor Direwolfs to this day feel useless other than looking at and the cute level up animation / howls.

-Currently, Rex is the only real choice for boss arena's, Wyverns are the elite flyer, and Tuso's are the kings of the sea-
Aside from obvious benefits such as an animal producing light, or generating a resource, can we expect to be able to choose our favorite creatures, rather than feel forced to pick the most Overpowered in terms of efficiency? 

Logical Thought Process:
2) What has persuaded you guys to go the sci-fi approach? You could have picked many different routes, but what was the logical thought for this choice, and the incorporation of radiation, and other such things that are "space-themed" ( I 100% agree with this and think from a market positioning approach, it separates you from 90% of the competition)

You could have picked any world you can imagine really.

Expectations:
3) How many new Creatures can we expect in Aberration?

Lore questions!!! 

The Aberration description mentions: "The intense radiation of Aberration has led to incredible genetic mutations, resulting in new creatures with amazing abilities! "  Are these creatures that we are familiar with, that have mutated into something new? And will the Dossiers touch on this somewhat? 

It's also mentioned: "You’ll uncover the ultimate secrets of the ARKs"  Does this mean new explorer notes unique to Abberation? 

Finally, I was wondering if you were planning on implementing something to translate explorer notes to make the lore more immersive. I was thinking that crafting something like a Rosetta stone kind of item/structure would be a cool way of going about doing this. 

Thanks!!! 

1. Unlike Scorched Earth, where we saw a whole lot of creatures from the Island, can we expect only to see new creatures on Aberration?
While Scorched Earth was a great new experience it was kind of ruined by a lot familiarity showing up constantly through older creatures(they did fit, so I don't blame you for adding them).

2. The first Mysterious Mysteries reveal showed a creature traveling on a zipline. Does this mean more intelligent/advanced AI coming with Aberration? The Island and Scorched Earth AI seem to only have a couple of reactions to you. Passive, neutral, aggressive. There's a whole lot more to it than that but when the only form of aggression is a straight line charge towards you anything PvE related becomes a trivial challenge as anything can be kited(if you're fast enough). 

Will there be any new ammo types for this?

Like how with scorched earth we got flame arrows, I think it'd be cool to combine megalania toxin and arrows for a rabiesarrow but for all I know megalania isn't going to be a spawn in the DLC, so I don't know, a flash bang related ammo for something? Maybe something new for the rocket launcher or some weapon that only has one ammo, thanks for reading!

2 hours ago, HighFlyer15 said:

1. Unlike Scorched Earth, where we saw a whole lot of creatures from the Island, can we expect only to see new creatures on Aberration?
While Scorched Earth was a great new experience it was kind of ruined by a lot familiarity showing up constantly through older creatures(they did fit, so I don't blame you for adding them).

2. The first Mysterious Mysteries reveal showed a creature traveling on a zipline. Does this mean more intelligent/advanced AI coming with Aberration? The Island and Scorched Earth AI seem to only have a couple of reactions to you. Passive, neutral, aggressive. There's a whole lot more to it than that but when the only form of aggression is a straight line charge towards you anything PvE related becomes a trivial challenge as anything can be kited(if you're fast enough). 

Let's not forget about how morellatops are neutral when in groups but not when alone

Q1: In a stream they said you could place charge lights down as turret type things, will we be able the put them on saddles for a little extra protection 

Q2: Will we get any advanced saddles? One thing I've been waiting for is a second saddle option for a creature that isn't platform or tek, like head-mounted spears for ramming into stuff, seems like it would fit all the new stuff in abberation

Q3: Will the fear evolved event have some time on aberration? I mean, there will probably be skins and stuff for the other maps like a bone Griffin or something, but it'd be nice to have fear evolved on there to add in some new aberration skins and maybe a new dodo-thing 

Q4: Could we get an oil gun or some new way to put down oil? My friend and I were talking about how oil and flame arrows might be good for getting rid of the nameless little goblin things or at least buy you some time, but my friend shot me down and said it would take to long to put down all the oil, think that could be an idea?

Sorry I asked so many questions, this my first digest!

It is pretty clear that sone of the creatures on the abberation ark are severely mutated by the surface radiation. Does this mean we can expect improvements to the mutation system currently ingame? (like where dinos can get color mutations on color regions they don't even have or mutations to speed that does not affect them)? 

Will the cliff platforms be like the tree platforms in the way that they can only be placed in specific spots or will you be able to place them anywhere? 

Will you be able to snap things on cliff platforms? 

11 hours ago, WeebTrash said:

I heard that because of how Aberration's map is designed, gamma won't work on it to make it lighter, is this true? If so, is there gonna be a server option for unofficials to enable gamma working on that map?

i wanted to voice my support for WeebTrash's  concerns.

This is also an issue for those of us with vision problems  and for operatiing systems where other graphic issues have not been corrected yet (Linux & Mac) where we need to adjust the gamma to play. 

Can we make this  an option for singleplayer as well?

Archived