Game is 20x better on Unofficials, just fyi

Majix

2 hours ago, yzerman said:

Then if you want mods, look for servers that have a basic set of mods installed, such as S+, Automated Ark, Dino tracker, etc. I would suggest avoiding servers with mods that change the game like Extinction Core.

Good advice here.

Although I don't know if I agree with Automated Ark, I do think S+ is a recommend, and Dino Tracker is a nice touch. And yeah Extinction Core is too much of a change.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found these the only way to enjoy the game now being with boosted rates so that I don't have to mindlessly blow my time just for trolls and broken game coding to make my stay miserable. Still miss the old days where officials weren't "completely" cancer....only a little..or just the right amount... But now there's just too much sauce. They dumped it in there and the recipe is vomit-inducing.

Shame people have to pay even more to enjoy a game they've already paid for, along with their own internet subscription.

3 hours ago, Masurao said:

I've found these the only way to enjoy the game now being with boosted rates so that I don't have to mindlessly blow my time just for trolls and broken game coding to make my stay miserable. Still miss the old days where officials weren't "completely" cancer....only a little..or just the right amount... But now there's just too much sauce. They dumped it in there and the recipe is vomit-inducing.

Shame people have to pay even more to enjoy a game they've already paid for, along with their own internet subscription.

What do you think is a good balance of rates? Obviously there needs to be some level of grind, to make the idea of progress seem like there was a level of effort involved. Not only that, but a certain level of grind makes resources contain value.

I have been playing unofficial for a long time now. It was worth it in my case to jump from Official. I just can't dedicate the amount of time it requires on officials, nor do I want to as my family comes first.

For players that can't put 8-12 hours on weekends to grind Ark, or simply want to play with friends only, unofficial is a great option, indeed the wipes and clusters on official don't impact us. In my case specifically, I am enjoying Ark more than I did back on Official, but that is because I have time constrains that impede my progress, I simply accept my responsibilities as a father, husband and employee, as it should be in my case. As a bonus I get to enjoy Ark, and having unofficial as an option is beyond awesome.

Unofficial isn't for everyone though, and if you got 6-12 hours per day to game or have a large tribe (at least 10 man strong, better if a couple on different time zones), then by all means go official its really awesome at times.

Regardless if Official or Unofficial, both options have loads of players and will continue to have them. More options, more power to the players, a win for all.

7 hours ago, Sphere said:

What do you think is a good balance of rates? Obviously there needs to be some level of grind, to make the idea of progress seem like there was a level of effort involved. Not only that, but a certain level of grind makes resources contain value.

I run 1x XP, 2x harvest, 3x taming and 20x breedings with imprint interval of 0.08x

There is really no reason to increase XP. There are so many ways to get XP quickly, you can be level 70-80 on day 1 if you know what you are doing. And still if you are a noob level 30 on day one is easy. So i dont see the point in increasing it further to be level 100 at day 1.

Same goes for harvesting. Many servers balance the harvest multiplier around early game, which totally breaks harvesting in mid to late game. As soon as you start harvesting with dinos, like anky 2x is plenty. I feel 1x is good in late game, however i have 2x to reduce grind in early and mid game.

3x taming so you can tame anything in max 1h, using the proper food.

20x breeding with very low imprint interval of about 15-20 minutes. Takes out all the boredom from breeding. Makes dinos more expendable, so you whine less if you lose them to bugs or PvP and enables solo players and small tribes to do bosses and get tek without changing the bosses. 20x may seem extrem, but it's really the sweet spot for players that have a life outside the game and don't enjoy to get up at night to imprint. I really know what i am talking about here, because i played on many different breeding setting, including 1x.

2 hours ago, Thorium said:

I run 1x XP, 2x harvest, 3x taming and 20x breedings with imprint interval of 0.08x

There is really no reason to increase XP. There are so many ways to get XP quickly, you can be level 70-80 on day 1 if you know what you are doing. And still if you are a noob level 30 on day one is easy. So i dont see the point in increasing it further to be level 100 at day 1.

Same goes for harvesting. Many servers balance the harvest multiplier around early game, which totally breaks harvesting in mid to late game. As soon as you start harvesting with dinos, like anky 2x is plenty. I feel 1x is good in late game, however i have 2x to reduce grind in early and mid game.

3x taming so you can tame anything in max 1h, using the proper food.

20x breeding with very low imprint interval of about 15-20 minutes. Takes out all the boredom from breeding. Makes dinos more expendable, so you whine less if you lose them to bugs or PvP and enables solo players and small tribes to do bosses and get tek without changing the bosses. 20x may seem extrem, but it's really the sweet spot for players that have a life outside the game and don't enjoy to get up at night to imprint. I really know what i am talking about here, because i played on many different breeding setting, including 1x.

We run pretty much the same setup on our server.
We want to stick as close to the official servers as possible, but have it more tuned for smaller tribes and people playing just now and then, giving them a chance at the endgame as well. We don't run a single mod, and keep up with the game as it goes.

It makes breeding a lot more enjoyable and doable for someone who cannot spend so many hours a day or is playing solo.
Yet we are able to do the caves and bosses, and still have a challenge while doing so.

On 9/18/2017 at 5:57 PM, Sphere said:

For actual time investment in this game? I'd say 3-5x or so; this way it doesn't seem as though you have to devote your life essence into virtual things that can just disappear at the drop of a hat to random BS - be it player or otherwise(usually otherwise nowadays).  Make it enjoyable and competitive, but don't make me have to wear a diaper in front of my screen just to get anywhere. It's a game and a hobby, but a job it is not.

Even some featuring those insane rates mentioned above would be enjoyable for those of us who just can't stay glued to the screen 24/7 and just want to goof around. I've tried max everything on someone's server a few days ago, and it is 'hilarious' really - mostly for those who've already spent many an hour on the game and just want to jump in and have fun; we already know whats going on, so why not just cut to the chase? 

You literally miss out on so much of the game playing unofficial... But pvp and unofficial should not even be in the same sentence honestly. The politics and dynamics of the ark now with cross server transfers makes the game incredible now.

All of you unofficial players really are missing out, playing in your little safe worlds with admin protection. The game of ark is survival, and evidently unofficial players can only survive against AI.

16 minutes ago, TheBanditKing said:

You literally miss out on so much of the game playing unofficial... But pvp and unofficial should not even be in the same sentence honestly. The politics and dynamics of the ark now with cross server transfers makes the game incredible now.

All of you unofficial players really are missing out, playing in your little safe worlds with admin protection. The game of ark is survival, and evidently unofficial players can only survive against AI.

Little safe worlds with admin protection. So you're for anarchy? Hey Wildcard Studios, this guy likes to play on servers that have no customer support and anything goes. People were complaining about how mega tribes were duping gigas and raiding bases. Hmm

3 hours ago, Sphere said:

What do you think about the idea of the 2 pvp servers that are clustered with the 6 other pve servers, the pvp servers have increased breed rates above the other pve servers? As well as the concept of having pvp and pve clustered together, what do you think? Offline raid protection enabled maybe?

This is a terrible idea.

If you cluster PvP and PvE servers together, there is no good PvP happening anymore. People will store all there valuables on the PvE servers, making it pointless for legit players to raid on PvP servers because there is nothing to gain from a raid. At best you will have some trolls killing on sight.

Do either all PvP or all PvE not both together in one cluster. You would need to put down so many rules, which are hard to enforce, it makes no sense.

If you go for offline protection i highly recommend using ORP2 mod instead of the official offline protection. When my cluster first started we used the offical offline protection but within a week we removed it because it caused a lot of problems. Either go ORP2 or no offline protection.

59 minutes ago, Thorium said:

This is a terrible idea.

If you cluster PvP and PvE servers together, there is no good PvP happening anymore. People will store all there valuables on the PvE servers, making it pointless for legit players to raid on PvP servers because there is nothing to gain from a raid. At best you will have some trolls killing on sight.

Do either all PvP or all PvE not both together in one cluster. You would need to put down so many rules, which are hard to enforce, it makes no sense.

If you go for offline protection i highly recommend using ORP2 mod instead of the official offline protection. When my cluster first started we used the offical offline protection but within a week we removed it because it caused a lot of problems. Either go ORP2 or no offline protection.

What about one way transfers from PVP -> PVE?

1 hour ago, skuIlman said:

What about one way transfers from PVP -> PVE?

Then people do all their farming, taming and breeding on PvE and only tranfer over to PvP if they want to do "war" for fun.

No one would build on the PvP server, so no actual raids are happening. The PvP server would be a spot for appointed battles, with nothing to gain for any of the parties, except for fun. If you are into that you could do it. But it's a very different experience to actual PvP servers in which you need to protect and defend your bases and find weaknesses in enemy bases.

Edit: I misread. I read one way PvE to PvP.

You mean more harvesting on PvP to encourage to actualy build mining bases on PvP and bring the materials over to your save haven in PvE?

I guess possible. The only problem is see with this is that either you stay low on the PvP server, don't do any breeding, just tame a anky and transfer materials you harvest to PvE. Or you go full in and breed anyks and stuff on PvP but for this people the PvE servers are pretty much uninteressting then.

9 hours ago, TheBanditKing said:

...I feel like you missed the part where a lot of us were tired of the monopolization of servers due to the rampant onset of duping and items disappearing randomly from those who didn't dupe, completely losing a lot more than said dupers due to rollbacks brought about by the aforementioned dupers? I mean...if that's your idea of a decent sociopolitical dynamic then have at it.

9 hours ago, TheBanditKing said:

Both have their positives and their negatives. To suggest that a player from one or the other is better at PvP is simply inaccurate. In my experience, players who have spent time on both are the most well-rounded and skilled players. Personally, I refuse to tribe with folks who have only played on one or the other because they're lacking out on a significant amount of experience. There are things you learn on official that you can't learn on unofficial. The same stands true when you flip it around. 

This is a concept that is not easy to comprehend until you've put a few hundred hours into both. If you're into PvP and have Alpha tribe experience on only one side of the table, switch sides for a bit and you'll learn a lot.

After reading and talking to a few players that are still clinging to the old legacy server I played on, I'm glad I moved to unofficials. 

We have a group of 10 to 15 of us in different time zones so there is always something going on.

I thought I would miss the cross ARK trading but the thought of actually have a pure breeding line of our own tamed and then raised dinos is quite exciting.

We have 2x everything apart from taming that's 4x and it seems a good balance to me 

Archived