why can you level up a pterodactyl oxygen but they can't go underwater

Lyssabear

11 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

They actually can if you put them on follow and dive down. Not sure if it's a glitch, but they sure can drown

Yet they seem not to consume Oxygen unless they changed anything.

I remember a friend losing a Ptera and some days later I found it sitting at the bottom of the ocean while diving for Pearls.

And why can you even level them? An oversight by WC.

I don't know why either...shouldn't even be a stat for them if they can't go underwater. Only time Oxygen is 'relevant' is if you accidentally knock it out and it falls into the water, and that's only a taming caution, not a utility anything for them after taming.

So much oversight...eck. Even I am starting to think that the polish is still gonna take like another year or two...

6 minutes ago, GP said:

There are no Pterodactyl's in the game, it's Pteranodon. I still find it funny how so many people fail to call it by it's name. So many still call it Pteradon too.

I guess its people not knowing the difference and/or them corrupting the name over time. My bug bear is people calling the Ichthyosaurus a dolphin and more recently the Leedsichtys a whale...

3 hours ago, Jay89 said:

Maybe just maybe its because they are?...... Just a guess though

Ichthy is a air breathing reptile and the Leeds is a big massive fish. Neither being close to being a cetacean (whales, dolphin and porpoise) :D

31 minutes ago, GeneralTalon said:

To be fair the spawn command for the Ichthy is dolphin so . . .

*Checks wiki* So it is lol God dammit WildCard hahahaha

54 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Ichthy is a air breathing reptile and the Leeds is a big massive fish. Neither being close to being a cetacean (whales, dolphin and porpoise) :D

If something looks like a dolphin sounds like a dolphin and acts like a dolphin to me its a dolphin same with a whale

21 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

If something looks like a dolphin sounds like a dolphin and acts like a dolphin to me its a dolphin same with a whale

Which makes you and pretty much everyone else who plays this game haha. Is much easier to say dolphin or whale instead of ichtyosaurus or Leedsichtys, doesnt mean its right just sticks much easier. In this case especially the ichy is what we call convergent evolution,  animals evolving similiar traits to combat certain aspects of living eg wings in birds and bats. The dolphin has evolved similiar features to the ichy because its the 'best' design for living in water.

6 hours ago, ChunkyMonkey said:

because you cant level speed so the points have to go somewhere, end of!

now close this discussion

Getting back to OPs topic, maybe its secretly the flyers version of the speed stat after the flyer nerf just like pumping the oxygen stat on a land dino made it swim faster back in the day, but instead increases the flying speed. Just noone thought to dump all the points on the oxygen on a flyer :D

3 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

I always call the leeds a massive ass shark thing and the Basilosaurus a whale (which it is)

I tested a long time ago with two different pteras on a private server and the one with higher oxygen could sprint farther before having to rest, as well as do another barrel roll before being exhausted. (The stamina was the same on both of them, they were both bred with 100% imprint, just one got the higher oxygen from the mom, she had 700 something and the dad was 515 I think.) So I think the oxygen effects their stamina usage. It's probably very minor effect though, so unless you want to experiment with a pure oxy flier and figure out the difference, I probably wouldn't bother. 

(That said, I usually drop a point or two into it if it's under 600 nowadays, that seemed to be the sweet spot)

11 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

I guess its people not knowing the difference and/or them corrupting the name over time. My bug bear is people calling the Ichthyosaurus a dolphin and more recently the Leedsichtys a whale...

Okay alpha leed being albino and sinking mad piles of boats is defiantly a tribute to Mobi D!ck. So why you are irritated is confusing. The Ichthyosaurus looks allot like a dolphin and I'm fairly certain the dolphin is a descendant of the ichthyosaurs so again not sure why your irritated by it. You should stop giving a flying F##k about being borderline grammar Nazi because, at the end of the day it will just make your blood pressure sky high over nonsense. I know the Quetzalcoatl isn't pronounced kwa et Z all but instead is Ket Z all  but, almost no one pronounces it properly. A big argument one is Chitin and whether it is pronounced Chi tin or kai tin. That one is a endless pit because both are correct with Chi tin being the American English vernacular of pronouncing the word and with Kai tin being the European English vernacular making both correct. At the end of the day you will find every one is out of F##ks to give. So at this point I don't even bother and I would advise you to do the same as this quest is hopeless.

1 hour ago, PrimalBroom744 said:

Okay alpha leed being albino and sinking mad piles of boats is defiantly a tribute to Mobi D!ck. So why you are irritated is confusing. The Ichthyosaurus looks allot like a dolphin and I'm fairly certain the dolphin is a descendant of the ichthyosaurs so again not sure why your irritated by it. You should stop giving a flying F##k about being borderline grammar Nazi because, at the end of the day it will just make your blood pressure sky high over nonsense. I know the Quetzalcoatl isn't pronounced kwa et Z all but instead is Ket Z all  but, almost no one pronounces it properly. A big argument one is Chitin and whether it is pronounced Chi tin or kai tin. That one is a endless pit because both are correct with Chi tin being the American English vernacular of pronouncing the word and with Kai tin being the European English vernacular making both correct. At the end of the day you will find every one is out of F##ks to give. So at this point I don't even bother and I would advise you to do the same as this quest is hopeless.

Uuuummmm ok. Actually I am an ecologist and not a grammar Nazi...... My gripe isnt over grammer or pronunciation because I have no clue and certainly no chance in hell in even pronouncing leedsichtys ( I can barely spell it lol). My gripe is over the taxonomy of it but I wouldnt say my blood boiled over it far from it. It just interests me because its my thing. That white whale thing is deffinatly a nod to Moby D1ck but thats as close as it gets considering leeds is a fish and moby a whale.  Also the dolphin is certainly not a descendant of the ichy.

Archived