Can you use oblisk to transfer dino across same map/server?

marcpullen

Oh perfect. I spotted the unicorn on my private server, but it's literally on the opposite corner of the map from where my base is (started a fresh island map from scratch), was hoping I could do this to avoid all the dangers in and around the redwoods. :) I should be able to "hoof" it to a newby drop or ob, and zip back on foot in gillie closer to home and pick it up there.

Thanks for confirming!

Yes and its the same with resources.  We transfer a LOT of raw metal from Blue Obelisk to Red Obelisk regularly.  

Just try not to overload it and remove it quick as you can rather than leaving it to build up.  A friend added 180 stacks of raw metal over a couple days and although it showed 180 stacks in the stat section he couldn't see them or do anything with them at either obelisk or add anything further. We had to wipe his profile data from the server and create a new character before re-applying his tribe and xp.

Fyi, you are not restricted to obelisks and can do this with any air drops to upload/download any tames or resources you might have gotten in a hostile area that you want to get home safely.  Pop it into the nearest air supply drop and download it at home when you get an airdrop to spawn nearby.  I believe the only restrictions to this are caves since people were putting gigas and rexes into dungeons that were meant for foot traffic only.  

You can also do this with air drops underwater to transport ocean dinos.  Just be careful not to claim them too close to the surface or risk insta-killing your tame.

I'm glad I found this topic - this 'feature' was unknown to me.

I admin a private server and will begin some research, but can anyone tell me where the configuration option can be checked/changed, ie: game.ini, gameusersettings.ini or within the command line manager?

Also, re: air supply drops - you mean the color beacons that come down out of the sky with random loot? For instance I have a colored drop that comes down right by one of my bases - I can put items or somehow tames in this and then pick them up at any other random supply drop? How do you get a tame into a supply drop? I'm not familiar with using the obelisks for this purpose either...

34 minutes ago, teamravegreen said:

I admin a private server and will begin some research, but can anyone tell me where the configuration option can be checked/changed, ie: game.ini, gameusersettings.ini or within the command line manager?

Also, re: air supply drops - you mean the color beacons that come down out of the sky with random loot? For instance I have a colored drop that comes down right by one of my bases - I can put items or somehow tames in this and then pick them up at any other random supply drop? How do you get a tame into a supply drop? I'm not familiar with using the obelisks for this purpose either...

Drops function like oby's; So yes, you can put materials and upload dinos into the supply drops that come from the air just like you can from an Oby.

1 hour ago, teamravegreen said:

Yes, all air drops act like the obelisks.  You have the time limit of an air drop so you will have to move within the allotted timeframe of the supply drop if nobody loots it.  The same tabs will appear in the menu of the air drop on the right side of the menu for boss summon, item upload, dino data.  

You would have to navigate to the corresponding tab you want (ie dino and select the dino's name you wish to upload and the button to upload dino data should be selectable) Keep in mind this will cause any items in the dino's inventory to drop to the floor/including equipped saddle and be lootable by anyone nearby.  

Dinos with platformsaddles that have structures will have structures despawned without getting resources back from normal demolishing of said structures.  

Breeding timer on dino starts a cooldown process even if you are only transferring within the same server, so make sure you breed first if you are looking to get gestation or fertilized egg timer started before you upload a dino.

I also noticed when transferring dinos between the island to scorched earth, to upload, you have to be not-mounted, and not on your shoulder. They have to be on the ground, and in a close radius of the oblisk/drop you are using.

Also remove all items and saddles before uploading - those items will be lost if you leave them on. You can upload the items/saddles to the oblisk on the middle tab and pick it up on the other side.

Good stuff @SadPanda thanks!

I can't picture the menu for upload/download/transfer as I've never done it, but at least I know what to look for.

Luckily for this sever it is just me and a few close family/friends, so I don't have to worry about other people stealing stuff. We just started to build a new base near Blue Obelisk (currently live near Green) and I was trying to figure out how to move everything. This sounds like it might be the way to go.

1 minute ago, powerstuck said:

Just know that you will still have the timer before the items are ready to be uploaded. Last night I was transfering some metal thru this way at the items all start with a 38 minutes upload delay (meaning you put it in the obelisk and need to wait there 38 minutes before you can hit transfer). 

Is this just official or does the timer exist even on unofficial and same server, obelisk-to-obelisk? Thanks!

36 minutes ago, teamravegreen said:

Is this just official or does the timer exist even on unofficial and same server, obelisk-to-obelisk? Thanks!

I have not tested this on private servers since this was implemented long after I hosted one.  It exists on obelisks and air drops alike to "prevent" duping.

v266.0
- Implemented initial upload timer for dupe prevention

If you are on 266 on your server then it may be there by default, if you're not at that revision then you are probably not affected by it yet.  

I haven't seen any notes eluding to it being in the settings file to modify the timer on private servers in any subsequent patch notes yet but that's not to say it isn't there, I just haven't looked.

36 minutes ago, BigDally said:

I think the timer is on by default on servers, as on my unofficial I noticed a count down timer when I uploaded some "data" items into a beacon.  However, on single player I do not see any upload timers on by default.

Ya, the timer is NOT necessary for singleplayer...who you gonna dupe ? Yourself ? :P

2 minutes ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

They have cheat codes for that. lol.

Also be aware of the cool down timer on dinos. Once you pull them out you cannot put them back in for 12 hours.

If you are running your own private server, I believe you can override it with command line startup param, per the wiki:

?MinimumDinoReuploadInterval=xxxx Number of seconds cooldown between allowed Dino re-uploads (defaults to 0, set to 43200 on Official Servers which is 12 hours).

I do this all the time. It's really handy just to upload the new tame at the nearest drop or obelisk then grab it back from one close to my base. I've lost tames before trying to get them home so this is my go to now (I don't have a quetz). 

Of course there's always the risk of losing it during upload.... 

1 minute ago, ChickPea81 said:

I do this all the time. It's really handy just to upload the new tame at the nearest drop or obelisk then grab it back from one close to my base. I've lost tames before trying to get them home so this is my go to now (I don't have a quetz). 

Of course there's always the risk of losing it during upload.... 

Yeah one of the reasons I miss being able to upload/download from beacons on singleplayer, as more times than not I am not near an obelisk lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Not realising our server was setup for cross transfer we had somebody join yesterday with a 1400+ level horse and a Wyvern when our max wild is 120.  Levelled the playing field I have now disabled dino/item cross transfers in GameUserSettings.ini and used commands to remove said over-powered dinos.  So we now allow a full levelled player to join/leave but no dinos/items that could be overpowered from Single Player or other Unofficials.

under [ServerSettings]

PreventDownloadSurvivors=false
PreventDownloadItems=true
PreventDownloadDinos=true
PreventUploadSurvivors=false
PreventUploadItems=true
PreventUploadDinos=true

* Tested these settings, unfortunately it also affects same server transfers so I turned item transfer back on. I can do without transferring dinos, I have quetz for that but metal in the amounts we harvest would take ages on the quetz.

• 7 months later...

Question about this topic.  I started a unofficial server for my family.  I was moving some dinos from across the map.  I heard that I could use the supply drops to upload and then download them in a different area of the map.  I uploaded some dinos.  I then went to download them the next day and saw them on the list.  I click on the dino and the click on the download.  The name disappears from the list but no dino appears.  What am I doing wrong?  Any ideas?

Archived