Swamp cave

Taconite

Just tried out the swamp cave yesterday and was surprised with how much more challenging it is now. Used to just be able to run it with a pair of frogs but now with arthupluera it seems we will need to get a bit crafty.

Yesterday i attempted to use 1 frog, 2 people, and 2 dire wolves. I was on the frog, the other person was on one of the dire wolves. We made it all the way to the end by killing everything off, then when we ran into an arthupluera the other guy jumped off the wolf and whistled attack on it. The main issue with this is that after we cleared each chamber, the wolves would be less than half health purely because of the arthupluera (down about 2500 health). We would then spend the next 5 minutes for feeding them back to life and then proceeding to the next chamber. The entire journey took well over an hour to clear everything. My question is are there better ways to deal with the arthupluera? How many metal arrows out of a primitive compound bow does it take to kill one at lvl 300 on average? Longneck?

My only other option is to just bring in more wolves. 4 max tame wolves mate boosted, 2 frogs for the riders, 2 spare sets of scuba/ghille for riders. Im hoping that the pack boost will help to make them take less damage. I have also considered heyenodons but with such low health in comparison i fear they will just simply die not to mention how trivial it looks like it is to tame a 150. 

So really the question is, with two people, what is the best way to clear it and get the drops/artifact? Wolves? Or weapons? Both? Which weapons are most effective on an arthupulera and how many shots on average to kill lvl 300 with chosen weapon (to plan for ammo and durability). Really want to start running this cave for drops/artifact/xp

I appreciate any advice, 

Thank you

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-5 wolves depending on their stats, 2 people works better, bring 3-4 sets of primitive gear per person with exception of the scuba tank. Also, bring Medical Brews to top off your health when the gear breaks to keep your health intact so the second arthupluera you didn't see does not finish you off when your second set of gear breaks 15 seconds after you replace it.

FYI - Medical brews will keep you alive if you need to run back to entry on foot.

Also, to get the Megalania to appear, after you clear all the areas of everything that is visible, go back through and eat a wild flower in each chamber, usually get 3-4 megalanias to appear out of thin air, for taming or harvesting for boss fight tributes.

9 minutes ago, Palenor said:

4-5 wolves depending on their stats, 2 people works better, bring 3-4 sets of primitive gear per person with exception of the scuba tank. Also, bring Medical Brews to top off your health when the gear breaks to keep your health intact so the second arthupluera you didn't see does not finish you off when your second set of gear breaks 15 seconds after you replace it.

FYI - Medical brews will keep you alive if you need to run back to entry on foot.

Also, to get the Megalania to appear, after you clear all the areas of everything that is visible, go back through and eat a wild flower in each chamber, usually get 3-4 megalanias to appear out of thin air, for taming or harvesting for boss fight tributes.

Why with the exception of the scuba tank? I though nothing was tamable in the swamp cave?

3 sets of scuba, 2 for spare + either a well bred baryonyx or carno is all you need.when the arthopleura is about to spit just stand ontop of its head with the carno/bary and it will most of the time not hit you. if you need a fert. egg just msg me :)

that cave is easy, but the drops lately( at least for me) have been 80% structure- or ammo-bps...can´t really say its worth running it for loot anymore.

4 hours ago, BrownieShytles said:

3 sets of scuba, 2 for spare + either a well bred baryonyx or carno is all you need.when the arthopleura is about to spit just stand ontop of its head with the carno/bary and it will most of the time not hit you. if you need a fert. egg just msg me :)

that cave is easy, but the drops lately( at least for me) have been 80% structure- or ammo-bps...can´t really say its worth running it for loot anymore.

I just got a masterctaft Daeodon saddle bp and journeyman Rex saddle bp. I'd say that is worth it, even if it did take forever (only had a frog and wolf so had to do lots of force feeding). I would be interested in a fert egg but I'm on Xbox on the new servers

5 hours ago, Williamskylord said:

I have a pack of bred high level Hyaenodons 6 is a 5+ pack bonus had no trouble with this cave after change.

This for the win! I take a 6 pack and set them to aggressive and follow behind. They heal themselves from eating.

1 hour ago, Taconite said:

It seems the bugs destroy just about everything. I'm pretty sure they were the sole contributor to my wolfs Health decrease. How do you deal with them without a frog? Also if I were to stand on the Barry when being attacked by arthupluera the maganuras would destroy me

Take a few Dimorphs and the Hyenas and you can solo it. The Dimorphs will wreck any bugs the Hyenas have an issue with. You can pretty much just walk behind them all watching the Carnage.

I just got a masterctaft Daeodon saddle bp and journeyman Rex saddle bp. I'd say that is worth it, even if it did take forever (only had a frog and wolf so had to do lots of force feeding). I would be interested in a fert egg but I'm on Xbox on the new servers

well maybe its just me beeing unlucky then^^ good luck for further runs, unfortunate i can´t trade with you, am on pc-legacy ^^

Hey man, I'm on Xbox too, if you're ever looking to play, my gt is Tuxedo Spartan

8 hours ago, Taconite said:

So really the question is, with two people, what is the best way to clear it and get the drops/artifact? Wolves? Or weapons? Both? Which weapons are most effective on an arthupulera and how many shots on average to kill lvl 300 with chosen weapon (to plan for ammo and durability). Really want to start running this cave for drops/artifact/xp

i get info for someone here. to breed megatherium .
(them can eat berries ) xD 

i breed 1 at entrance .. no one aggro it.. and have OP damage to insect.
can clear fisrt entrance under 1 minute,, but cant cross when at junction. 

when at center pillar/ junction = bring grapling hook. there have hole to climb(take artifact only)

if running cave
bring some saber+saddle , and frog for another side megatherium cant cross.

(i want breed other at another side cave, but that hard i think xD )

1 hour ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

This for the win! I take a 6 pack and set them to aggressive and follow behind. They heal themselves from eating.

Take a few Dimorphs and the Hyenas and you can solo it. The Dimorphs will wreck any bugs the Hyenas have an issue with. You can pretty much just walk behind them all watching the Carnage.

This basically. I've never taken Hyenas in there, I need to give that a try. 

For my swamp cave runs (and holy crap I've made a LOT of swamp cave runs...I'd build down there if I could) I usually take ~6-10 sets of primitive ghillie/scuba stuff, one frog full of grit and gristle, and 2-5 dimorphodons. The only weapon I take in there anymore is a good pair of compound bows with metal and flame arrows. If it's not overly populated you can do it on foot with good dimos and a lot of arrows...it's time consuming but super fun. 

As far as arthros go, keep them at a distance!!! I see folks talking about having to force-feed their tames, but your best bet is to clear an area and spyglass down the next area. If there's an Arthro in the next room, plug it with an arrow or a bullet. When everything starts coming at you, usually the Arthro gets stuck. Shoot it until it's dead, and then walk up to kill the rest. You can pretty much always get an Arthro stuck on something, and if it's a bit too close just play the line of sight game...duck around a corner when you hear it spit, and then you've got a few seconds of nonstop shooting. With a relatively decent compound bow and mediocre aim you can kill an arthro in 2-3 spit cycles from a distance. It takes a little longer this way, but you aren't swapping out gear nonstop and your mount isn't getting the crap beaten out of it from licking/biting the spikes.

I might have to try the Hyena thing tonight though. Sounds need

Grab a baryonyx, load them up with fish meat in the nearby river and bob's your uncle.  I've found getting right up in the arthro's face is the best way to avoid getting hit by its spit attack.  Kill them from range when you can though.  When attacking the dragonflys I've found looking to the side gives the best attack hit box.

12 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

This basically. I've never taken Hyenas in there, I need to give that a try. 

For my swamp cave runs (and holy crap I've made a LOT of swamp cave runs...I'd build down there if I could) I usually take ~6-10 sets of primitive ghillie/scuba stuff, one frog full of grit and gristle, and 2-5 dimorphodons. The only weapon I take in there anymore is a good pair of compound bows with metal and flame arrows. If it's not overly populated you can do it on foot with good dimos and a lot of arrows...it's time consuming but super fun. 

As far as arthros go, keep them at a distance!!! I see folks talking about having to force-feed their tames, but your best bet is to clear an area and spyglass down the next area. If there's an Arthro in the next room, plug it with an arrow or a bullet. When everything starts coming at you, usually the Arthro gets stuck. Shoot it until it's dead, and then walk up to kill the rest. You can pretty much always get an Arthro stuck on something, and if it's a bit too close just play the line of sight game...duck around a corner when you hear it spit, and then you've got a few seconds of nonstop shooting. With a relatively decent compound bow and mediocre aim you can kill an arthro in 2-3 spit cycles from a distance. It takes a little longer this way, but you aren't swapping out gear nonstop and your mount isn't getting the crap beaten out of it from licking/biting the spikes.

I might have to try the Hyena thing tonight though. Sounds need

Yeah, I really can't stress how OP the Hyenas are. No worrying about health cause they heal when they eat. If you breed a good pack, with the pack buff they shred through everything on aggressive before you even get close. It makes it laughably easy actually. They're totally my newest favorite. I'm gonna give the snow cave a run with them next.

7 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Yeah, I really can't stress how OP the Hyenas are. No worrying about health cause they heal when they eat. If you breed a good pack, with the pack buff they shred through everything on aggressive before you even get close. It makes it laughably easy actually. They're totally my newest favorite. I'm gonna give the snow cave a run with them next.

I'd bring some you don't care about losing...I feel like the Yetis will be a different beast entirely for the Hyenas to deal with. That knockback stuff might cause problems.

3 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

I'd bring some you don't care about losing...I feel like the Yetis will be a different beast entirely for the Hyenas to deal with. That knockback stuff might cause problems.

I bred 3 pairs, a perfect line of parents, and two teams of their offspring for battle. Also happen to have a cloning machine at my breeding base now. And you know I'm going in packing bred Dimorphs and some serious heat! ?

27 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

How did you go about getting your breeding stock? I've heard that getting 150's is a nightmare, something about not being able to tame the alpha of the pack. So does that mean that there has to be 2 150s in a pack? 

Based on the feedback that you all have given me above, I'm thinking of trying a bit of a combo, Hyenas, few dimorphs and either a barry or a frog (or both if i bring 2 people) 

Btw what quality are the meat packs you use on your hyenas? If good quality would you mind sharing where you found the bp? Found a master craft bp a while back out of a supply drop but then the 2 hour rollback kinda deleted that.

19 minutes ago, Taconite said:

How did you go about getting your breeding stock? I've heard that getting 150's is a nightmare, something about not being able to tame the alpha of the pack. So does that mean that there has to be 2 150s in a pack? 

Based on the feedback that you all have given me above, I'm thinking of trying a bit of a combo, Hyenas, few dimorphs and either a barry or a frog (or both if i bring 2 people) 

Btw what quality are the meat packs you use on your hyenas? If good quality would you mind sharing where you found the bp? Found a master craft bp a while back out of a supply drop but then the 2 hour rollback kinda deleted that.

It's actually pretty easy. I only tamed the Alphas. Just build a large taming pen with doorways as the sides all around (like 9x4). Grab the alpha and fly him back and drop him in. Then ghille suit and crouched, duck in and out petting him.

By separating the alpha from the rest of the pack you make them tameable... The petting is time consuming, but easy when in a large pen like I just described. I've even knocked then out in the wild, killed off the rest of the pack and built the pen around them when the occasion calls for it... Waiting for them to wake up however sucks, torpor drop is insanely slow.

Saddle quality doesn't really matter to be honest because they work as a pack and kills are very fast. A pack of 6 gets an insane pack buff and the one that takes the most damage usually heals immediately as they get the kill most of the time. Make sure your packs mate boosted as well, pet them all often for additional buff, and you'll be good to go.

2 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

It's actually pretty easy. I only tamed the Alphas. Just build a large taming pen with doorways as the sides all around (like 9x4). Grab the alpha and fly him back and drop him in. Then ghille suit and crouched, duck in and out petting him.

By separating the alpha from the rest of the pack you make them tameable... The petting is time consuming, but easy when in a large pen like I just described. I've even knocked then out in the wild, killed off the rest of the pack and built the pen around them when the occasion calls for it... Waiting for them to wake up however sucks, torpor drop is insanely slow.

Saddle quality doesn't really matter to be honest because they work as a pack and kills are very fast. A pack of 6 gets an insane pack buff and the one that takes the most damage usually heals immediately as they get the kill most of the time. Make sure your packs mate boosted as well, pet them all often for additional buff, and you'll be good to go.

I'm definitely going to have to get into breeding these things then. They seem super powerfull if they can essentially solo the swamp cave.

20 minutes ago, Taconite said:

I'm definitely going to have to get into breeding these things then. They seem super powerfull if they can essentially solo the swamp cave.

Mine don't even get close to being overwhelmed. It's like watching Navy Seals with a KOS order. Biggest problem I've had so far is the odd Aurthro getting a spit off. And honestly, that's because I'm following too close so I can watch the mayhem. Lol.

On 9/14/2017 at 12:46 AM, HalfSlabBacon said:

Mine don't even get close to being overwhelmed. It's like watching Navy Seals with a KOS order. Biggest problem I've had so far is the odd Aurthro getting a spit off. And honestly, that's because I'm following too close so I can watch the mayhem. Lol.

I spawned in 6 level 100's on solo and they shredded the cave, that's insane. They also shredded a lvl 50 alpha carno I spawned in and I'm pretty sure I have it set to official settings so yeah that's insane. Definately going to need to tame some of these on official

Archived