Echoing what others have said... this game requires a situational awareness and the skill to control your local environment by that awareness. Being skilled at strafe, targeting, and button mashing is not that helpful to the early survivor. Being aware of your surroundings and the mobs in it, and constantly updating that awareness, will keep you alive.

When I first joined ARK, death was so frequent and frustrating... then I learned to go with the flow... respawn around and use that time to scout...gathering while running around to level. You will find a safe starting area and then get your foothold, likely with a few levels to actually got moving.

Now, I have very little fear starting out. I expect a couple of early deaths as part of the scouting process... then I am locked in and will likely not die for some time... as least not until I have a respawn bed... and even then, because I am pushing the threshold now that I know I can respawn.

4 minutes ago, GP said:

Anyone that laughs at someone that dies to a Dilo because they haven't figured out to make a spear and jump to the side to avoid it's spit clearly hasn't been a recent new survivor that spawns when there are 3 or 4 dilos in a pack, which I see very often. Try stabbing 4 dilos with a spear and jumping side to side from 4 lots of spit without being hit, it's not easy particularly if you don't have the experience of the game.

Also just running from them is valid too :D. When I first started playing Ark it took me forever to figure out that I didnt have to stand my ground and fight them. Dilos are pretty slow. A pack of raptors though is a different story. lol

7 minutes ago, GP said:

There are no "easy" spawn areas anymore. The beaches used to be considered easy spawn areas, but since the addition of certain creatures such as Troodon, Pegomastax and Ichthyornis it's no longer an easy spawn area. Of course it is still "easier" than other areas, but it's not considered "easy" like it was a couple of years ago.

Anyone that laughs at someone that dies to a Dilo because they haven't figured out to make a spear and jump to the side to avoid it's spit clearly hasn't been a recent new survivor that spawns when there are 3 or 4 dilos in a pack, which I see very often. Try stabbing 4 dilos with a spear and jumping side to side from 4 lots of spit without being hit, it's not easy particularly if you don't have the experience of the game.

Having said that it's still doable in many ways. A lot of people that a new to the game get frustrated because they constantly get killed trying to make clothes or a little thatch hut. But what you should be doing first is just levelling up a bit. Yes you will die lots but you will still be gaining the XP while you do it. So instead of trying to set up a thatch hut just go round farming and stuff to get the levels up a bit. Then when you are levelled up a bit more in HP and stuff look to start building that hut.

It IS easy though.. What I do is just go in circles and hit them with a spear. Even if they are in packs.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, EternalUniverse said:

It IS easy though.. What I do is just go in circles and hit them with a spear. Even if they are in packs.

But you are talking from experience. To a new player it is not "easy" because they don't have that experience.

This is why we are here giving him good advice and people telling him it is easy doesn't help.

5 minutes ago, Dustrider said:

Also just running from them is valid too :D. When I first started playing Ark it took me forever to figure out that I didnt have to stand my ground and fight them. Dilos are pretty slow. A pack of raptors though is a different story. lol

Raptors have progressively got more deadly with increasing server performance. Now they can hit you pretty accurately. Scary as heck! 

In all fairness there is a learning curve even to what you suggest. Thats not something that most people would innately know. Plus spears are heavy and break often. Hard to carry enough for defence and not over encumber yourself with them when you are lvl 1-5. I will admit that I probably died a few times to Dilos when I first started. But with experience came knowledge and now dying to a Dilo would never happen were I to start over.

2 minutes ago, GP said:

But you are talking from experience. To a new player it is not "easy" because they don't have that experience.

This is why we are here giving him good advice and people telling him it is easy doesn't help.

The hardest thing to avoid and kill are dodo's, they are the true masters of Ark though. No one can escape them, you are killed before you can even look into their eyes. But yeah.. Atleast the OP has some new information to use on how to kill these dilo's easily. :)

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Phichikapparho said:

It's easy with a level head and practice. It's not easy when you're brand new and screaming at your television(or computer) and mashing buttons at random.

Yup very true, plus the fact that a brand new survivor running around in circles from a pack of Dilos is likely to become very dehydrated and hungry very quickly and unlikely to have food or water on them, then they'd passout without even being hit by the DIlos spit!

To OP: It is rather hard to start off. I have 2kish hours and I still get killed when I spawn in. Unfortunate, but it still happens. Here is what easy areas mean: Less "big" predators such as Allos, Rexes, Spinos etc. These can still spawn, but they have a less chance to do so. 

You can always run from a dilo. Or you can beat the poop out of it with your fists and make it your friend. It works somehow

• Volunteer Moderator

The hardest thing to avoid and kill are dodo's, they are the true masters of Ark though. No one can escape them, you are killed before you can even look into their eyes. But yeah.. Atleast the OP has some new information to use on how to kill these dilo's easily. :)

Reminds me of when I first played ARK and Dodos used to fight back! That was the day! :D

Just now, GP said:

Yup very true, plus the fact that a brand new survivor running around in circles from a pack of Dilos is likely to become very dehydrated and hungry very quickly and unlikely to have food or water on them, then they'd passout without even being hit by the DIlos spit!

By "running" I mean like.. just walking in circles :) so no passing out..

They do see all...and inform their Dodorex overlord. Also good on you for taking criticism and not lashing out, a rare thing to see on the internet these days. So here take a fake internet point.

2 minutes ago, Dustrider said:

They do see all...and inform their Dodorex overlord. Also good on you for taking criticism and not lashing out, a rare thing to see on the internet these days. So here take a fake internet point.

I do have my moments though, but I am just a human being. I'm not perfect ;) 

Bolas are your friend, especially when that random raptor runs up on you out of no where.

When I first started this game I was constantly dying and couldnt figure out how to pick up a stone. I rage quit lol. I tried again the next day and have been hooked since. I constantly start fresh on this game, i like having multiple characters across the cluster and I enjoy the early game the most honestly.

I remember when it used to take me hours of dying just to get a bed down, and now I can do that and be around level 30 in the first 30 minutes, all without dying. I always go straight for a line of explorer notes, theres 3 really easy ones to get on stonehendge. That usually has me in my teens within seconds of spawning, giving me the ability to skip the spear and go straight for the bola and bow n arrow. 

Kill a dodo

get hide

make bola

kill a parasaur

make many bolas

kill all those pesky raptors, dilos, pegos, ichthy birds.

Profit

The troodon is the real og (original griefer) of the bunch though, if you hear their screech, best run and dont look back. One of them kept me knocked out for 20 mins once before killing me.

Archived