There must be something wrong with the game. Why is there hundreds of lvl 145, lvl 200 dinos all over the "easy" areas? one game session i died during the loading screen and when spawned i was dead. I have reached lvl 6 and can build a hut, clothes, spears, fire, etc etc. But i never get the chance to because i die all the time. I'm no hard core games, but i don't suck either. At least in the beginning the game is WAYYYYY to hard. when i have the hide and fibers enough to build something interesting i loose it because all the sudden a lvl 145 Dilophosaur kills me in the "newbie" area. what the ¤%&@ is the point?? It's just isn't fun.

Edit: I'm for some reason unable to answer posts on this forum now. I don't know why. Seems like everything is against me. I literally can not post more, just edit already posted posts. This is ridiculous.

It isn't stated anywhere that easy areas contain low-level dinos. It's a general rule of thumb that big predators won't spawn as often as in hard areas. Besides that, easy areas are because because the hardest thing you encounter is a Carno.

Also if you die on a Dilo, no matter its level if you have spears, the issue is at your end.

P.S. You can climb on rocks.

1 minute ago, Jostabeere said:

Also if you die on a Dilo, no matter its level if you have spears, the issue is at your end.

Agree, make 4-6 spears (breakage) and no dilo can touch you since spears knock them back.  When they flare to spit just strafe and you won't get hit.  ez hide and meat right there.

Just now, Expensivebaton said:

There must be something wrong with the game. Why is there hundreds of lvl 145, lvl 200 dinos all over the "easy" areas? one game session i died during the loading screen and when spawned i was dead. I have reached lvl 6 and can build a hut, clothes, spears, fire, etc etc. But i never get the chance to because i die all the time. I'm no hard core games, but i don't suck either. At least in the beginning the game is WAYYYYY to hard. when i have the hide and fibers enough to build something interesting i loose it because all the sudden a lvl 145 Dilophosaur kills me in the "newbie" area. what the ¤%&@ is the point?? It's just isn't fun.

Once you work out the Dino AI (which is dumb and stupid) you'll find the game easier too handle! 

Tips I can offer you is.. 

1 always have plenty of spears 

2 never take on a Dino from the front they have stupid hit boxes use this too your advantage.

3 if farming take stock of the area ie are there predators around are there any ledges or cliff sides a Dino could fall from.

And 4 speed!! Dino can't eat what it can't catch 

?live long and prosper

I started a SP game recently whilst waiting for the new server, I started on the island on an easy section of beach. Literally got to lvl 3 and a 145 Rex walked on by and proceeded to eat me. 

You learn just to keep on trying and levelling up - once you hit lvl 10 (which doesnt take long) you will have enough HP to survive in that area. You will die a few times but persevere.

Get a hut up behind some rocks, dont venture too far, make spears, picks and axes and just lvl up. It becomes easier ;)

You're going to die. And then you are going to die again. And then you are going to die again. And then eventually you're going to figure it out to the point that you're not dying to the little stuff anymore. You're going to get all geared up and get some really nice stuff from drops and and what not.

and then from out of nowhere you're going to be killed by a Rex or something in the area you've never been to before that's really hard to get back to and very far away for your base and you're going to lose all that nice stuff that you just got.

This. Is. Ark.

Best to prepare for the worst in every single case. Just when you think you have good enough gear, weapons to do enough damage your going to go into a cave thinking you're all that and a bag of chips.... then a Megalosaurus is going to 3 chomp your face off.

but it really is a seriously fun game.

1 hour ago, Jostabeere said:

The thing is. you stand still gathering and in no time before you even react a lvl 150 Dilo kills you with one bite. I have easily died about 50 times in less than two hours. 10 out of those being eaten while the game is loading me to a new spawn. It's just.. sigh... hard.

7 minutes ago, Expensivebaton said:

The thing is. you stand still gathering and in no time before you even react a lvl 150 Dilo kills you with one bite. I have easily died about 50 times in less than two hours. 10 out of those being eaten while the game is loading me to a new spawn. It's just.. sigh... hard.

It's not hard, you are just new.  When I first started, I died dozens of times before lvl 5 to dino's because I didn't know what I was doing.  After learning the game, I could start now at lvl 1 in a hard area and would not die (if I am being careful, which I don't do because that is no fun).

Learning when to fight and when to run, keeping your head on a swivel and always know the threats in the area, and understanding the AI of each dino are things you need to learn.  This will substantially increase your ability to survive.

21 minutes ago, Expensivebaton said:

Well, then get better at paying attention to your surrounding area in a survival game.

We all started and learned it the hard way. And there are many more things you will see as that. Your first Alpha, Rex, Mosa and so on.

3 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

Well, then get better at paying attention to your surrounding area in a survival game.

We all started and learned it the hard way. And there are many more things you will see as that. Your first Alpha, Rex, Mosa and so on.

I'm telling you. There must be something wrong with the game if 10 out of 50 deaths is spawn deaths. how can i defend myself when the game is loading?

3 minutes ago, Expensivebaton said:

I'm telling you. There must be something wrong with the game if 10 out of 50 deaths is spawn deaths. how can i defend myself when the game is loading?

Sleeping bags. Nuff said.

It's simply bad luck if there's a Dilo everytime you spawn in a set spawnpoint.

But they should definitely get rid of the stupid animation.

2 hours ago, Expensivebaton said:

If you die from a dilo..Than this game is nothing for you. Like.. LOL...a dilo...

52 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

But they should definitely get rid of the stupid animation.

^ This!

I understand that they were trying to make it look like you are waking up, confused and in wonder. But when something is gnawing your leg off as soon as you spawn and you cant move to fight it, it gets very annoying.

To the OP: 

Not sure there is much else to say that hasnt already been said by others but I would add that while you are low level and still getting over Arks learning curve you shouldnt be too attached to your stuff. If you die and all you had was stone tools and cloth armor, dont bother going back for it. You can craft new stuff in a matter of a few minutes. If your thatch 2x2 gets wrecked by a carno, just build a new one somewhere safer. While you are a newb just consider all of your stuff disposable. Take losses as a learning experience and you will get better and better. Just keep leveling up and unlocking new engrams and eventually you will have the experience and the tools to overcome most challenges.

48 minutes ago, EternalUniverse said:

If you die from a dilo..Than this game is nothing for you. Like.. LOL...a dilo...

Really? the ones running around killing people with like one bite? because. I sure as hell can't kill a lvl 150.  with spares. I mean... i suspect i have chosen the wrong map or something. There is no way it should be hundreds and hundreds of raptors and dilos and whatever above lvl 150 running around just eating you wherever you spawn. I know it's a survivor game. But come'on!

2 hours ago, CTMalum said:

By constantly adding new dinos with ridiculous abilities and upping the levels of dinosaurs due to everyone in the game becoming super high leveled, they've killed the scaling of the game.

This is why I play on a modded server where the dino cap is 450, but the player level is vanilla. Still survivable but, stuff can kill you quick.

Edit -oh wait, you were saying it's too hard not too easy right? My bad.

2 minutes ago, SatanicPopeye said:

This is why I play on a modded server where the dino cap is 450, but the player level is vanilla. Still survivable but, stuff can kill you quick.

Edit -oh wait, you were saying it's too hard not too easy right? My bad.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.  They've scaled the game to try to make it a challenge for players who are super far along, but they've done that so much that they've made the struggle for fresh spawns even more real.

Really though, it's hard at first. I thought ark sucked when I got it, a dying simulator. It was only when I came back to it a couple weeks later and saw what you can do with the building did I get hooked.

Now after 2k+ hours I can safely say it's the very real danger(that admittedly scales down as your infrastructure scales up) and the games ability to make me jump that keep me around.

I swear I've had more than a few kapro/thyla/purlovia related heart attacks.

1 minute ago, CTMalum said:

Yes, that's what I'm saying.  They've scaled the game to try to make it a challenge for players who are super far along, but they've done that so much that they've made the struggle for fresh spawns even more real.

I partially agree with you. Alpha dinos shouldnt be allowed to wander onto newb beaches and I think Trooadons are very OP for starting areas. Dilos and raptors Im ok with, I got killed many times by them when I first started, but once you figure out there AI patterns they arent much of a threat. Also I would add that as soon as you get a trike you can use its knock-back to make short work of most easy area dinos.

• Volunteer Moderator

There are no "easy" spawn areas anymore. The beaches used to be considered easy spawn areas, but since the addition of certain creatures such as Troodon, Pegomastax and Ichthyornis it's no longer an easy spawn area. Of course it is still "easier" than other areas, but it's not considered "easy" like it was a couple of years ago.

Anyone that laughs at someone that dies to a Dilo because they haven't figured out to make a spear and jump to the side to avoid it's spit clearly hasn't been a recent new survivor that spawns when there are 3 or 4 dilos in a pack, which I see very often. Try stabbing 4 dilos with a spear and jumping side to side from 4 lots of spit without being hit, it's not easy particularly if you don't have the experience of the game.

Having said that it's still doable in many ways. A lot of people that a new to the game get frustrated because they constantly get killed trying to make clothes or a little thatch hut. But what you should be doing first is just levelling up a bit. Yes you will die lots but you will still be gaining the XP while you do it. So instead of trying to set up a thatch hut just go round farming and stuff to get the levels up a bit. Then when you are levelled up a bit more in HP and stuff look to start building that hut.

7 minutes ago, CTMalum said:

Ya, I can see your point from a new players perspective. Me, I've been through the early game more than a few times and thus enjoy the extra challenge. It's very possible to get set up without dying much or at all, you just need to be very cautious and always aware.

1 hour ago, Expensivebaton said:

Wanna see what hard really is? Start out fresh on a Scorched Earth server, give that 30 minutes to an hour, then head back to the Island. You will think things are much better than you do now.

Sorry we cant be of more help. I get it, it's frustrating when you cant seem to do anything. Just focus on gathering what you can and craft what you can until you get higher level where you can be making better stuff. 

Dont worry, if you keep at it, when you die and lose everything you had on you, it doesnt take that long to gear back up.  especially if you make two of everything and put one of those in a box or something you can grab immediately after dying. 

Edit. Autocorrect was having fun at my expense.

Archived