Danouk

Ok now this is ridiculous

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Danouk said:

Ok I know they might be busy but this is ridiculous.  We are September 12th and they finally updated this web site saying the 269 update is September 8. Really Wildcard. Why don't you just close this websites? You are always behind to keep this site up to date and now the update is behind the update. Just close this site you are not coming here anyway you like to tweet instead. You guys are awful but I have better words to discribe you but trying very hard to keep this civil.

Oh yes duping is now occurring on the new official servers and dupers are not punish for doing it either. 

Are you surprised ? (It's the only thing I can think of). 

8 hours ago, Racidon said:

to be fair I see the devs reply to direct tags, which is much more than other devs can say about themselves. I won't defend half their choices. But I will when it comes to delayed updates. It seems to me that they are actually excited about the work they do and thus want to tell as many people as soon as possible about it. This results in the delays. They could just do what myself and my group did when we ran an online game, that is keep making updates and roll them out weeks after they had been vetted so that it looked like they were steady on time updates. We would also hold out on some updates until player count dwindle to re-kindle interest... So just remember it could be worse...

We've had two years to get used of to WC never respecting the ETAs they give. That's fine, really it is.

But what stings is when you see them post daily on Twitter and Reddit about HOW UBER COOL their newest DLC is going to be, and it feels like they are 24/7 on it (and again, it's fine, they are promoting their business) but it stings because something that can be fixed in like 30 seconds (update a forum post) is being ignored for more than a week. 

And if you ask them, they will tell you ''Part of our team has been hit by hurricane Irma in Florida''. 

Yeah right, but if you ask me...Team hit by hurricane Irma > Promoting Aberration

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If duping is becoming an issue again this is just more of a reason for people to start migrating to unofficial servers and support them. Come to my cluster and try to dupe and see what happens... I can guarantee you won't be on my servers for long.

Also want to point out that at least not duping takes much more time.. so you get less reward for doing it, but as long as the current method of... (doing certain things with obelisks) and have a bug you can exploit that crashes the server works... people will continue to do it.

One solution for this(which timers could help eliminate abuse of) is to make it so every time and item is uploaded to the obelisk a world save is performed on the server the player is currently on.. this would completely kill off the current dupe methods as it renders it 100% useless. Now the abuse I mentioned would be people doing this over and over in an attempt to lag the server with constant saves, but with the current timer system this makes that pretty hard to do unless you have a massive amount of people trying to do it all at once.

They could also do this in a reverse fashion.. Currently the reason people can dupe is because the server than holds the uploaded items/characters/dinos is independent of the actual server you are on. When you upload something it happens in real time and is immediately available. I will not go into detail of how this allows for item duping, but another solution would be to change the current system so that the items ONLY update on the remote servers when a server save happens... the downside to this is that it would take 15-30 minutes before this data is available on another ark, but would reduce the need for the timer too. So how it would work would be the following... you upload dino 1, the server saves this information locally, when a save is performed this data is synced up with the uploaded item/character/dino database.

Edited by Deathwaits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

One solution for this(which timers could help eliminate abuse of) is to make it so every time and item is uploaded to the obelisk a world save is performed on the server the player is currently on.. this would completely kill off the current dupe methods as it renders it 100% useless. Now the abuse I mentioned would be people doing this over and over in an attempt to lag the server with constant saves, but with the current timer system this makes that pretty hard to do unless you have a massive amount of people trying to do it all at once.

As long as they make it a server option that I can turn off.  On my private server we use uploading quite often and I really don't want the server rubber banding like crazy from the saves anytime multiple items are uploaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BeardO said:

As long as they make it a server option that I can turn off.  On my private server we use uploading quite often and I really don't want the server rubber banding like crazy from the saves anytime multiple items are uploaded.

I just edited my post with another option.. it would be a little more time consuming for them to code in, but I think it would be a better option.

It takes the upload timer from the front end and adds it to the back in. So you don't have an actual upload timer, but you are waiting for the server to save and sync the data with the remote storage servers... so you still have a delay before the items are accessible remotely, but this should fix the duping issue as it currently functions. The only big downside would be the need to reupload your stuff if the server crashes before the next save is performed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

I just edited my post with another option.. it would be a little more time consuming for them to code in, but I think it would be a better option.

It takes the upload timer from the front end and adds it to the back in. So you don't have an actual upload timer, but you are waiting for the server to save and sync the data with the remote storage servers... so you still have a delay before the items are accessible remotely, but this should fix the duping issue as it currently functions. The only big downside would be the need to reupload your stuff if the server crashes before the next save is performed.

What I don't understand is why they don't wait until a player actually crosses the servers to "transfer" the items.  When you upload, those things get moved to the cluster folder.  IF they just waited until you actually transferred  your character to transfer the items it would avoid the issue all together.  It's not like a tribe member can sit on one server and down load stuff you upload...or can they?  Pretty sure only the person that uploads can download and if that's the case then just keep the information on that server until you actually transfer your character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lewiatan said:

I learnt from SusanCS' post on reddit (she is a wife of Jeremy Stieglitz, the boss of WC),where she asked what new servers we need, that Jeremy often tells Jen and Jat to do other things than communication with playerbase. SusanCS in general agreed the new community manager whose only responsibility is communication ought to be hired. However, SusanCS is not working at Wildcard. So in theory WC can ignore her suggestions. The fact we got any new servers recnetly is only thanks to her.

If this is true, then it's pretty sad. If the boss of the company holds back community managers to manage the community, I lose faith in him and how he rules the company. Seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lewiatan said:

I learnt from SusanCS' post on reddit (she is a wife of Jeremy Stieglitz, the boss of WC),where she asked what new servers we need, that Jeremy often tells Jen and Jat to do other things than communication with playerbase. SusanCS in general agreed the new community manager whose only responsibility is communication ought to be hired. However, SusanCS is not working at Wildcard. So in theory WC can ignore her suggestions. The fact we got any new servers recnetly is only thanks to her.

That is very blinding... I can barely see it.. Just to let you know for next time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds like this dudes wife has more clue whats going on in his game than he does...

 

i have all the respect for them enduring a huge storm but they are slack as dilo at updating community unless its something they want to promote, they should update all media within a set time frame with patch notes/updates new info etc or if they dont have the man power to do this, stop using so many media outlets and make a post on them all stating which ever one they can update will be the main one,  its all just slack and has been since day 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I/ this is this topic that is ridiculous

II/ GP armor is right the patch note mentioning the next update for the 8th of september is here since the 4 !! 

III/ can anybody show some tolerance and patience here,  you guys are sitting nicely waiting for an update that does not bring that much, while others are recovering of a damn raptoring hurrican

IV/ for your information : some twitter to give you perspective :

 

 

  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a big storm, they lost power... Sucks. Don't they have other offices? don't they have these files in 'the cloud'? So in a case where they lose these files they can still push out updates on time with the date they've set? Okay, a day, two.. whatever understandable I suppose. It's at the end of the 5th day they're behind schedule. It sucks, they lost power, people lost their lives in the storm and I, personally, am not trying to be insensitive.. But they have a company, they have paying customers. We report bugs for them to, hopefully, fix in a timely manner to make the game better, not only for the current players but hopefully to draw in more players because the more players playing Ark... the larger population playing and coming to your unofficial cluster, or your official server, the more fun it will be (Longest run-on sentence NA). We payed, we play, we report, you ignore... Duping still exists, and I realize there's only so much you can do... but communication would be nice. Believe it or not, 99% of your community can read. Talk to us more often, about relevant topics regarding your game! we payed for your game, I payed for your game, and DLC in EA. I want to support devs that have brilliant idea, this game is a brilliant concept.. Here's a scenario, You do everything you've done up to this point BUT!!! you were way more involved with your community, with updates on how things are going and maybe you hired a couple more ppl to reduce the load... The community in turn would treat you with much more respect, WHY?? well because we are (for the most part) reasonable human-being. You treat me with respect, we'll treat you with respect. Someone's cheating on my server and I send you proof, and one of yall pop on the server to investigate yourself... and you deal with it accordingly.. DO YOU UNDERSTAND how good that looks for you? If someone is duping their asses off on the server, and you pop on because I show you the contents of one of their vaults I blew into and you WIPE THEM! or BAN them! I will make a post within the hour saying nothing but good stuff about how helpful and attentive you were to the players who legit play your game. ITS HUGE!!! IFFFFF you read this (I don't believe you will). Think about it, truly... TRULY... think about it.

 

Edit: (Official Servers/All servers.. lets be real) You have helped members of your community. I'd say a random ratio of 1/100 reports actually get fully resolved within a timely manner. I remember watching an obnoxious streamer and noticed they had vaults and vaults of tek structures, transmitters, force fields, with less than 500 dinos under their name. Do you truly believe that is legit? Stacks and stacks of those little cube chamber things, 150 slots of that sh**? A bunch of duplicate bps? it's in your face! they streamed it! and these people are still playing. I'm just sayin.. More attention to the dupers, glitchers, cheaters, H3LL.. your community please. If you payed more attention you'd see nothing but good things. 

Edited by Monics
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Danouk said:

I do not appreciate you trying to make me look like an idiot. 

You don't need his help, you're accomplishing it all on your own. Attacking a moderator isn't helping your cause either. Did you see how much more mature his response was to your attack then yours was to his completely valid post?

Seriously, stop complaining on every thread you post on about them not using the forums the way you think they should. It's not your company, they don't work for you.

2 hours ago, CouguarGenie74 said:

you guys are sitting nicely waiting for an update that does not bring that much, while others are recovering of a damn raptoring hurrican

Here's another one of the reasons you don't need his help. FYI - it also makes you look like a self centered, insensitive jerk.

Sorry for being so blunt about it, but I feel you need to hear what others are saying... A frigging hurricane just threatened the lives of some of these people and you're worried about a patch notes update for a frigging video game! Seriously, DILO????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jat said:

 I don't disagree with anyone in this thread about our communication, it definitely needs some work. It's something we're aware of internally and have spoken about a fair bit, and whilst we're working on it, it isn't a quick fix. We have a very large and ambitious project, but our infrastructure and team-size aren't quite up to scratch yet, we have to pick and choose areas we need to prioritise. Multiple people at the studio, typically have multiple roles and carry out multiple tasks, so we end up falling short in some aspects, to grow in others. Overtime, this will improve as we'll be able to onboard more folks to work with Wildcard.

The problem here is Jat nothing in this matter has been improved for 2 years. Really nothing. I'm willing to say it become worse to the point that Jeremy's wife decided to ask what new server we still need on her own and she is not even Wildcard's employee (I do appreciate her effort tho). That's the red light for your company. People are frustrated, because we keep telling you there is large issue in your communication, but no one in Wildcard does something about it. With your statement I highly doubt  something would be improved, because we did have such explanation before. It's even more irrittating when Jessy says WC talks with community regurarly on twitch streams and that's not entirely true.  If WC employees have so many other responsiblities then for your own and company's reputation sake talk to boss and suggest hirring a new community manager whose only responsiblity is communicating with playerbase.   Please, start using your own forum. It doesn't look good to look for information from twitter...

 

All in all I understand you need to prioritise your man power and resources, but good public relations and communicating with playerbase regurarly do miracles.

 

Edited by Lewiatan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

The problem here is Jat nothing in this matter has been improved for 2 years. Really nothing. I'm willing to say it become worse to the point that Jeremy's wife decided to ask what new server we still need on her own and she is not even Wildcard's employee (I do appreciate her effort tho). That's the red light for your company. People are frustrated, because we keep telling you there is large issue in your communication, but no one in Wildcard does something about it. With your statement I highly doubt  something would be improved, because we did have such explanation before. It's even more irrittating when Jessy says WC talks with community regurarly on twitch streams and that's not entirely true.  If WC employees have so many other responsiblities then for your own and company's reputation sake talk to boss and suggest hirring a new community manager whose only responsiblity is communicating with playerbase. 

You quoted it...but did you read it?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

I did read it. I'd more than happy when they improved/fixed communication finally.

I get that...but Jat literally just said he agrees that communication is bad and that they need more people. He literally just said they're working on it. You quoted it and told him to do what he just said they were doing. Their communication has been pretty bad throughout. Everyone, including the developers, agree that communication needs to improve...I don't think anyone disagrees with your position.

If you don't believe it's going to happen that's up to you, but in that case I have to wonder why you're still bothering to stick around. For me, hearing a company state outright that their communication has left a lot to be desired of and that they are working to improve it is a pretty solid example of a company working to improve their communication. Listening a company say that and then immediately telling them they need to do what they just said they were doing...well, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me...but then again, that's just me.

 

Edited by LouSpowells
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

I get that...but Jat literally just said he agrees that communication is bad and that they need more people. He literally just said they're working on it. You quoted it and told him to do what he just said they were doing. Their communication has been pretty bad throughout. Everyone, including the developers, agree that communication needs to improve...I don't think anyone disagrees with your position.

If you don't believe it's going to happen that's up to you, but in that case I have to wonder why you're still bothering to stick around. For me, hearing a company state outright that their communication has left a lot to be desired of and that they are working to improve it is a pretty solid example of a company working to improve their communication. Listening a company say that and then immediately telling them they need to do what they just said they were doing...well, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me...but then again, that's just me.

 

People have been saying it for 2 years though which is why I think there is so much heartburn and why "we are working on it" doesn't go very far anymore. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BeardO said:

People have been saying it for 2 years though which is why I think there is so much heartburn and why "we are working on it" doesn't go very far anymore. 

Eh, I'd say more like a year or a little more. Wildcard only got terrible at communication right around ARK's peak. They were fairly good at it back when Nubsly was around and Digests and whatnot were practically weekly. Then, I guess, the playerbase doubled when consoles came into the picture and WC learned what it's like to try and run with an arm full of eggs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OnePotatoChip said:

Eh, I'd say more like a year or a little more. Wildcard only got terrible at communication right around ARK's peak. They were fairly good at it back when Nubsly was around and Digests and whatnot were practically weekly. Then, I guess, the playerbase doubled when consoles came into the picture and WC learned what it's like to try and run with an arm full of eggs. 

Yeah, in the beginning before Xbox came into the picture, WC was pretty good with communicating and posting updates nearly on time. They still did that sausage move of pulling content from the patch notes at the last second, especially the poop you got super hyped about for weeks, but I digress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Argon said:

Yeah, in the beginning before Xbox came into the picture, WC was pretty good with communicating and posting updates nearly on time. They still did that sausage move of pulling content from the patch notes at the last second, especially the poop you got super hyped about for weeks, but I digress.

It's funny how visible it was. Like, you'd see the Digest Questions thread get so backed up that there was no hope of them combing the whole thing. SotF became less and less acknowledged and problems started becoming resolved slower and slower. I'm guessing it was easier back when they just wanted this cool little dinosaur game that'd fill in the hole left by The Stomping Lands. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OnePotatoChip said:

It's funny how visible it was. Like, you'd see the Digest Questions thread get so backed up that there was no hope of them combing the whole thing. SotF became less and less acknowledged and problems started becoming resolved slower and slower. I'm guessing it was easier back when they just wanted this cool little dinosaur game that'd fill in the hole left by The Stomping Lands. 

That sounds very similar to how Notch described feeling when Minecaft became a phenomenon... We all want big success, but living with it is another thing entirely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now