Dark and Light style modifications and maps?

dbgenerations

Ok so im sure alot of you have heard of Dark and Light and know that it uses alot of Ark's assets, gameplay is also very similar, but uses a medieval fantasy theme.. So the idea, since Dark and Light uses actuak Ark assets, that means there is a plausible way to use Dark and Light assets in Ark, Dark and Light it horribly optimized, like minimum Gtx960 optimized. The idea is to either rip the map straight out of Dark and Light, or make a new similar map, create mods for magic and fantasy item and weapons crafting, etc the idea to give us Ark set in a medieval fantasy setting, instead of "tribes" could be "banners" more of a Game of Thrones style gameplay and world. So whats everyones thoughts? And is anyone interested in being a part of this process? If so i plan on starting it this week, i already have Dark and Light so datamining the assets wont be an issue

Posted from my [device_name] using http://ARK: Survival Evolved Community App

• Volunteer Moderator

Pretty sure Snail won't allows such mod. You should contact them and ask for permission with digital signature from them before spending time in such a project because they might just take it down if unauthorized. In any case, I doubt they will allow this. They want ARK's fans to buy DNL and a mod bringing its map, magic, etc. into ARK would just ruin their sales.

Pretty sure Snail won't allows such mod. You should contact them and ask for permission with digital signature from them before spending time in such a project because they might just take it down if unauthorized. In any case, I doubt they will allow this. They want ARK's fans to buy DNL and a mod bringing its map, magic, etc. into ARK would just ruin their sales.
Thats why i mentioned a similar map using either ark assets, or new assets that are created by myself and other people, ALOT of the assets in Dark and Light are actual Ark assets, and alot like Installation 01 you can legally make something look and behave like something from another game as long as you use your original textures and models. To me there is no sense in people who have Ark paying for another game that is not optimized at all that uses literally the same engine and almost all the same assets. Dark and Light is pretty much an Ark Mod already

Posted from my [device_name] using http://ARK: Survival Evolved Community App

• 2 weeks later...

I get your point, but my thought is, even if Snail steals Wildcard's stuff (and I don't even know if they do, I haven't looked that deep into it. I just won't support Snail for creating a legit but worse copy of the game.) we as Ark's player base kind of represent the game, and shouldn't lower ourselves to their level. If you're gonna "copy", at least copy with dignity and do it better. Don't just copy, but rewrite, and innovate. Copycats will never do as well as the original. Bring your own twist into the game. Simply use the original as inspiration for your own work.

Like all those Minecraft copies out there. None of them made a name for themselves that reaches even nearly as high as the original itself. Then you have Terraria which at some point was even clearly admitted to be inspired by Minecraft (don't quote me on that tho...). Or Starbound, which was inspired by Terraria. So the keyword is not copy, but inspiration.

Archived