Sign in to follow this  
Miwfanfl

Xbox and PC Cross Play

Quetzal    93
13 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

No it is not born out of misunderstanding. I am very familiar with how the system works. The lack of solid information is the problem and the massive delay in the launch of this feature until AFTER the game full released when it was announced originally as a December 2016 feature. Next it is well within wildcards power to give out codes for a massive discount or even free game on the store. It is there game and they can offer these incentives as they see fit.. it would not hurt microsoft as these are not physical copies purchased on the store. That means the cd-keys/ codes given can be ones given without charge or for different rates by wildcard. You do understand how game keys are purchased and handled by retailers I would assume.

So Wildcard DOES have influence over whether EA purchasers on steam get a copy of the game for win10. 

Lastly there are differences in play anywhere games between the platforms.. most being merely graphics related, but there are differences there. There has to be in order for the game to run on nvidia cards for example. Now the networking and data storage is mostly the same as it needs to be for cross platform compatibility. Also something you don't mention is.. if for example I had already purchased a Xbox one version of the game and play anywhere is launched. My spouse decides she wants to play, but doesn't have a copy of the game.. with how play anywhere works.. she could play on the xbox one and me on the pc without ever needing another copy of the game.. and yet we could both play off the same single purchase simultaneously.

I also think it is funny wildcard has basically removed anything and everything to do with the original planned play anywhere launch. They have even removed the QA sessions from back then as well. So maybe you should take a little of that time you advised about to do your own research into the topic and find out just how much was promised and how much never came to fruition.  

If you were familiar with how the system works, you wouldn't be asking the questions. It's a Microsoft initiative, end of story. Wildcard giving out free keys as you suggest is not related to Play Anywhere - they are separate things entirely. Play Anywhere is currently scheduled for release mid-September - Wildcard have not removed anything and everything relating to it? Here's a recent post on this very site with a status update. There have also been mentions of it on Twitter from official employee accounts. Since that post, they've had PAX and there's currently a hurricane in Florida. The latest Xbox patch isn't even out yet, whereas the PS4 patch was out last Friday - Microsoft certification (if it's even there yet) adds to the delay. It's been delayed due to legal red tape with Xbox server rentals.

It's obvious there will be some differences in supporting PC hardware as the Xbox is a single machine. There are libraries for this purpose.

Also I'm not sure you can play on 2 systems at once, using the same account. You're meant to be able to move between Xbox and Win10 and your progress will transfer - signing into the same account on both platforms will likely invalidate one of the sessions, just as you can't be signed into two Xbox consoles. You could maybe do a Friends & Family game sharing thing on her Microsoft account, but I doubt you'll be able to sign in at the same time.

The suggestion Wildcard give out free keys though... come on, seriously! Should they give the same benefit to PS4 users too? Or should I just get all versions free/discounted because I've bought it on 1 platform? That isn't 'influence', it's just how to fail at business.

Deathwaits    15
16 hours ago, Quetzal said:

If you were familiar with how the system works, you wouldn't be asking the questions. It's a Microsoft initiative, end of story. Wildcard giving out free keys as you suggest is not related to Play Anywhere - they are separate things entirely. Play Anywhere is currently scheduled for release mid-September - Wildcard have not removed anything and everything relating to it? Here's a recent post on this very site with a status update. There have also been mentions of it on Twitter from official employee accounts. Since that post, they've had PAX and there's currently a hurricane in Florida. The latest Xbox patch isn't even out yet, whereas the PS4 patch was out last Friday - Microsoft certification (if it's even there yet) adds to the delay. It's been delayed due to legal red tape with Xbox server rentals.

I'm not saying they SHOULD be giving out free keys, I am saying if they wanted to they are well within their right to do so. Now lets look at the post you quote, do you see any of the old posts I mentioned in it? NO, that is merely an update and all history of their past plans on release are now gone from this site. The same goes to the twitter argument. I am not disputing they are now pushing for a mid September release. I am calling to attention that this was first planned for December 2016, at which point we could have purchased the windows 10 version at EA cost. So since people wanted a windows 10 version for cross play, were told it was going to be coming and then were not given the ability to purchase it before prices spiked... that is a fault with wildcard, not the consumer. The rest of this quoted segment is just bloat that has nothing to do with my complaint.

17 hours ago, Quetzal said:

It's obvious there will be some differences in supporting PC hardware as the Xbox is a single machine. There are libraries for this purpose.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. I am sure most people with any type of tech knowledge would understand this point and know it.

Also I'm not sure you can play on 2 systems at once, using the same account. You're meant to be able to move between Xbox and Win10 and your progress will transfer - signing into the same account on both platforms will likely invalidate one of the sessions, just as you can't be signed into two Xbox consoles. You could maybe do a Friends & Family game sharing thing on her Microsoft account, but I doubt you'll be able to sign in at the same time.

Do you even read my posts or do you just see what you want to see. I am not talking about playing the game on the same account.. I am talking about playing the game on both platforms simultaneously with only 1 copy of the game. Also you can do this on all current play anywhere titles. 

The suggestion Wildcard give out free keys though... come on, seriously! Should they give the same benefit to PS4 users too? Or should I just get all versions free/discounted because I've bought it on 1 platform? That isn't 'influence', it's just how to fail at business.

Once again you take my post out of context. I never said they SHOULD I said they COULD. Also Sony basically refuses to take part in cross-play for 99% of the games on that platform. Now for my main point which you continually fail to see.

I am not asking for a discount on ANOTHER platform. I currently own ARK on PC, so if there is a new PC version that I was unable to purchase in EA because of wildcard dropping the ball then I should at the very least be able to purchase it when it does launch for the original EA prices. So no I am not suggesting that I purchase the game on say PC and get a copy for all platforms. I am saying I should be able to get a discounted rate (over current retail) to get the new version on the game on the SAME platform as my original purpose.

You know there is another popular game that did this.. it is known as minecraft. It was developed on a Java API (compare this to a steam version), then when they wanted to introduce the better together initiative for cross play they made a new version for pc called the Windows 10 Minecraft. Now here is the kicker, Microsoft who is known for being greedy made the decision that if you purchase the game on a platform you should get all versions on that platform... so people who originally purchased the JAVA version also were given a free copy of the windows 10 version. THIS is how it should work for ark. I purchased the game for PC, I should be able to play all of the PC versions of the game. If I buy a game on steam for example that is available else where, I am still given a cd-key that will allow me to download and play that game outside of steam if I choose (unless it is a steam exclusive).

If you want to continue the back and forth then fine, but my concerns and opinions were not intended to you. They are here in the hopes that a wildcard representative will see them and do the right thing. At the end of the day I don't care what you think or don't think should happen as the decision has NOTHING to do with you.

TranqRex    207
30 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

I'm not saying they SHOULD be giving out free keys, I am saying if they wanted to they are well within their right to do so. Now lets look at the post you quote, do you see any of the old posts I mentioned in it? NO, that is merely an update and all history of their past plans on release are now gone from this site. The same goes to the twitter argument. I am not disputing they are now pushing for a mid September release. I am calling to attention that this was first planned for December 2016, at which point we could have purchased the windows 10 version at EA cost. So since people wanted a windows 10 version for cross play, were told it was going to be coming and then were not given the ability to purchase it before prices spiked... that is a fault with wildcard, not the consumer. The rest of this quoted segment is just bloat that has nothing to do with my complaint.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. I am sure most people with any type of tech knowledge would understand this point and know it.

Do you even read my posts or do you just see what you want to see. I am not talking about playing the game on the same account.. I am talking about playing the game on both platforms simultaneously with only 1 copy of the game. Also you can do this on all current play anywhere titles. 

Once again you take my post out of context. I never said they SHOULD I said they COULD. Also Sony basically refuses to take part in cross-play for 99% of the games on that platform. Now for my main point which you continually fail to see.

I am not asking for a discount on ANOTHER platform. I currently own ARK on PC, so if there is a new PC version that I was unable to purchase in EA because of wildcard dropping the ball then I should at the very least be able to purchase it when it does launch for the original EA prices. So no I am not suggesting that I purchase the game on say PC and get a copy for all platforms. I am saying I should be able to get a discounted rate (over current retail) to get the new version on the game on the SAME platform as my original purpose.

You know there is another popular game that did this.. it is known as minecraft. It was developed on a Java API (compare this to a steam version), then when they wanted to introduce the better together initiative for cross play they made a new version for pc called the Windows 10 Minecraft. Now here is the kicker, Microsoft who is known for being greedy made the decision that if you purchase the game on a platform you should get all versions on that platform... so people who originally purchased the JAVA version also were given a free copy of the windows 10 version. THIS is how it should work for ark. I purchased the game for PC, I should be able to play all of the PC versions of the game. If I buy a game on steam for example that is available else where, I am still given a cd-key that will allow me to download and play that game outside of steam if I choose (unless it is a steam exclusive).

If you want to continue the back and forth then fine, but my concerns and opinions were not intended to you. They are here in the hopes that a wildcard representative will see them and do the right thing. At the end of the day I don't care what you think or don't think should happen as the decision has NOTHING to do with you.

I'm not that guy, but it seems that despite both him (her?) and a moderator pointing out some basic facts to you, you're still failing. You're even citing examples (Minecraft) that poke holes in your ideas.

A question though on this bit "I am not talking about playing the game on the same account.. I am talking about playing the game on both platforms simultaneously with only 1 copy of the game. Also you can do this on all current play anywhere titles." -- is that not what the OP originally asked when they said:

18 hours ago, Quetzal said:

So to be clear, what you are talking about is ... playing the games at the same time, but offline? Because I'm not sure how you'd play the game (any game) simultaneously on Xbox and Windows. Can you expand? Sounds interesting if somehow possible (and isn't just the Game Sharing option).

• Thanks 1

Deathwaits    15
18 minutes ago, TranqRex said:

A question though on this bit "I am not talking about playing the game on the same account.. I am talking about playing the game on both platforms simultaneously with only 1 copy of the game. Also you can do this on all current play anywhere titles." -- is that not what the OP originally asked when they said:

I am pointing out that I was not talking about playing the game on both PC and Xbox on the same account (gametag) which is NOT possible and will sign you out of one of them.

19 minutes ago, TranqRex said:

So to be clear, what you are talking about is ... playing the games at the same time, but offline? Because I'm not sure how you'd play the game (any game) simultaneously on Xbox and Windows. Can you expand? Sounds interesting if somehow possible (and isn't just the Game Sharing option).

I am talking about playing the game ONLINE. With one copy of the game. I would be logged in to my PC with my Gamertag, My spouse could be logged in to the xbox on HER gamertag. We both could be online and playing on the same server simultaneously on seperate platforms on one copy of the game.

TranqRex    207
12 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

I am talking about playing the game ONLINE. With one copy of the game. I would be logged in to my PC with my Gamertag, My spouse could be logged in to the xbox on HER gamertag. We both could be online and playing on the same server simultaneously on seperate platforms on one copy of the game.

Right, so using the benefits of Xbox Gold and making use of Game Sharing then?

You can't just download the Play Anywhere game using the account purchased ARK, then log out and your partner could log in with her gamertag and play the game I assume? As her gamertag wouldn't be recognised as owning the game...?? It's an advantage, sure (I am paired up with a friend and we buy a game each now and then, and of course the other one gets it "free" too) - but yet again, it's a completely Microsoft-specific one.

TranqRex    207
14 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

No it is a feature of having a "Home" xbox. Any user on that xbox gets access to the game. 

OK, that's what I mean by Game Sharing although "sharing Gold benefits" is probably a more accurate description. It's exactly what I do with my friend in order to have access to the games he buys. I thought there was something else I was missing out on :P

Deathwaits    15
8 minutes ago, TranqRex said:

OK, that's what I mean by Game Sharing although "sharing Gold benefits" is probably a more accurate description. It's exactly what I do with my friend in order to have access to the games he buys. I thought there was something else I was missing out on :P

Well this is a little off topic, but what you are doing is actually against the ToS and EULA for Microsoft. The Sharing is suppose to only be used for your own family and guest to your house. Using it for any other purpose is a clear violation of the terms outlines by Microsoft.

I will state one last time, I don't mind having to purchase the windows 10 version (even though I think it is a bad decision on behalf of wildcard if this is the case), but I think it should be initially offered at EA pricing when it hits the store. By all rights this should have been out 10 months ago which was well within the EA pricing period. On top of that I am sure many people who never visit these forums held off on purchasing waiting for the windows 10 version and now they will be forced to pay 3x the original cost for it.