Sign in to follow this  
Miwfanfl

Xbox and PC Cross Play

Just now, Miwfanfl said:

I am new to the Ark world I recently got Ark on steam thinking that I was able to play with my friend who has Ark on Xbox one. Him and I are unfortunately not smart enough to figure it out so i was wondering if it is possible for me to be able to play with him? Otherwise I will just get a refund for it.

Short answer is no!

Longer answer is if you get the windows10 version of ark that doesn't yet exist but possibly may do maybe????

1 hour ago, Miwfanfl said:

So does that mean I have to get it from the xbox store?

The Win 10 Cross Play version is suppose to be available when the Personal Xbox Servers go online later this month, when it is released if you own the Xbox version you will be able to play on a Win 10 PC with your friends on the Xbox, or you can purchase it from the Windows/Xbox store.

With that said, there has been no update since the game released last week indicating the status of the Win 10 release. I would recommend holding out until they make the official announcement.

That is the summary of the link that Hughes posted earlier.

1 hour ago, Hughes said:

Nope.

Would love some info on it myself but there's been nothing since @Jen posted the UWP update here:

It says 'mid-September' which is of course 3 days time (if we want to take it literally!), but there's been nothing about it and nobody responds to questions about it, so presumably that means it's not coming just yet. @Jat tweeted some responses here but as I said, they're fairly generic/non-commital:

All we can do is hope, I guess :(

Edit: another tweet I forgot to add here:

https://twitter.com/thelilpanda/status/907415022409863168/

Edited by TranqRex

When I bought my second copy of the game it was advertised as cross play... when I called Microsoft because I could not download it to my Windows 10 PC they told me it was incorrectly listed and cross play was not currently available, but it should be soon... within a day the wording was removed from the website and I should check back daily to see when it was available. That was over a year ago. I ended up buying another xbox so I could play with my son.

The way cross play works is you can access the xbox servers from your xbox account on your Windows 10 PC. Steam uses different servers and I very seriously doubt steam will ever have access to xbox servers or that xbox will ever have access to steam servers. Play anywhere basically uses your PC as an xbox.

4 minutes ago, l3ully said:

IF it is out mid September which is only days away, why cant we preorder it on windows 10 ? and will servers be available to rent at the same time ?

You can't pre-order it because it will be the xbox version of the game. It is not a separate copy. If you have it purchased on xbox you will be able to download it to your xbox app on your windows 10 PC for free. Much the same way if you have a second xbox you can download a second copy of any game purchased online for free on the second xbox.

12 hours ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

You can't pre-order it because it will be the xbox version of the game. It is not a separate copy. If you have it purchased on xbox you will be able to download it to your xbox app on your windows 10 PC for free. Much the same way if you have a second xbox you can download a second copy of any game purchased online for free on the second xbox.

Actually you can abuse the xbox shared game feature a lot more than twice 🖒

The part that pisses me off is I had no desire to play it on my xbox one, but I did want to play on my pc with my friends on Xbox... now that release has hit and the games price has skyrocketed.. I am hoping the offer something for steam players to get a windows 10 copy for a decent price... paying full price for a game I have been support for close to 2 years will piss me off.

4 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

The part that pisses me off is I had no desire to play it on my xbox one, but I did want to play on my pc with my friends on Xbox... now that release has hit and the games price has skyrocketed.. I am hoping the offer something for steam players to get a windows 10 copy for a decent price... paying full price for a game I have been support for close to 2 years will piss me off.

You will have to wait for a sale or something. No reason for Microsoft to offer you any kind of incentive its there store. Steam is a seperate vendor as well. They always stated alpha price would be increased on or near release as well. 

They also never said if they would extend a copy to people with steam version of the game... they basically had the stance of wait and see. 

On top of that.

Steam - 1 version of game

Xbox 1 - 2 versions of the game

So why should someone with the xbox version get such an advantage? On top of that this game was originally released on pc.. there was no xbox version yet... crossplay was always talked about and planned before there was even an xbox version... so people purchased the steam version still believing cross play would be supported for them

Edited by Deathwaits

6 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

They also never said if they would extend a copy to people with steam version of the game... they basically had the stance of wait and see. 

On top of that.

So why should someone with the xbox version get such an advantage? On top of that this game was originally released on pc.. there was no xbox version yet... crossplay was always talked about and planned before there was even an xbox version... so people purchased the steam version still believing cross play would be supported for them

What are you talking about. How is it a advantage. Microsoft is allowing its xbox players to play with its players in its store. This is a microsoft decision that wc has decided do this.

Buy another copy on sale or at full price if you want to play with xbox people it makes no difference to me. 

1 hour ago, Deathwaits said:

On top of that.

Play Anywhere is a Microsoft scheme, it's an advantage to people who have an Xbox console . They don't need to take advantage of the Windows 10 Store version, but they can if they have a suitable Windows 10 computer.

This was clearly stated on the Microsoft store... you could have just bought the Xbox version when it was in EA as the Windows version wasn't (and still isn't, unfotunately!!) out.

2 minutes ago, Quetzal said:

Play Anywhere is a Microsoft scheme, it's an advantage to people who have an Xbox console . They don't need to take advantage of the Windows 10 Store version, but they can if they have a suitable Windows 10 computer.

This was clearly stated on the Microsoft store... you could have just bought the Xbox version when it was in EA as the Windows version wasn't (and still isn't, unfotunately!!) out.

My point is this game was announced to support Microsoft Play anywhere before it even HIT xbox.. so if you see that announcement and only have the option to buy it on steam... this would lead you to believe that if you purchased it on steam you would have access to this feature when it did come to fruition.

I mean fine I have to drop another $60 bucks for the game (oh well), the point is I disagree with that needing to be an option. If it was actually explained in detail that you needed to purchase the XBOX ONE version of the game to have this ability that is one thing, but it was never slated as such... on top of that they even announced a special windows 10 version of the game coming, but then you have the following issue... On November 8th of 2016.. they announced it was coming in DECEMBER. Well it never happened... the windows 10 version never was put on the store and the special server software for hosting xbox servers on pc never happend... now it is 9/13/17 and we still do not have it... and in that time the price of the game has gone up 300%+. Also it would seem they have completely pulled that forum post about it, but luckily you can still find it on the web via google.

So again if they had made it CLEAR that you needed to purchase the xbox version in advance then that would be one thing, but the last update we got on it was that it would be a new windows 10 version we could purchase on the windows store... and they also said that they might be giving discounts to steam purchasers on one of their QA's. So why should the consumers have to pay an inflated price for something because of the unclear and false information that was constantly provided around the whole play anywhere feature? Ill be blunt, they SHOULDN'T.

1 hour ago, Captnmorgan said:

What are you talking about. How is it a advantage. Microsoft is allowing its xbox players to play with its players in its store. This is a microsoft decision that wc has decided do this.

Buy another copy on sale or at full price if you want to play with xbox people it makes no difference to me. 

Not sure why it would make a "difference" to you. I wasn't asking for your opinion or permission.

Also getting 2 copies of the game for the price of one IS an advantage.

On top of that this was announced to be released of December of 2016. They made lots of statements about getting a windows 10 version on the store, and servers for pc that xbox players could play on. Then they went 100% silent. They did have a QA where they claimed that steam users MIGHT be offered a discount or incentive to get the windows 10 version. On top of that a lot of people do not even have an xbox one, but still would want to play with the xbox players via the windows 10 version. The bottom line is now anyone wanting to take advantage of this on windows 10 will need to pay 300% more for the game than they would have in December if it was released when it was slated to be.

Also this has very little to do with Microsoft allowing anything. They have long since been trying to push the play anywhere option and are more than happy to allow people into that program. It was a choice WILDCARD made.. which consists of changing some code to take advantage of the new cross play system. Also while the game is on the windows store it doesn't mean Microsoft gets all that money. Actually it is very similar to how steam handles these sales.. or even a big box store. They pay a fixed amount or even a reduce fixed amount (bulk) and then have the MSRP markup on the items. This is pretty much consistent across all the retail sellers of this item.

1 hour ago, Deathwaits said:

My point is this game was announced to support Microsoft Play anywhere before it even HIT xbox.. so if you see that announcement and only have the option to buy it on steam... this would lead you to believe that if you purchased it on steam you would have access to this feature when it did come to fruition.

I disagree entirely. Microsoft has nothing to do with Steam and vice versa, why would anyone think that Microsoft Play Anywhere offered that feature? A minute of Googling would have provided the answer and a little bit longer spent understanding Play Anywhere (including the provision for the situation where a game isn't yet out on the WIn10/PC) would have provided all the information one needs.

Wildcard has no influence over whether someone buying the game on Steam would get a Win10 copy (or even a discount). As I and others have said, Play Anywhere is entirely a Microsoft initiative (in much the same way Sony do some Vita/PS3&4 Cross Buy games). Why would Microsoft give away a free game to people who've paid the money to a different platform? The only reason Xbox gamers get a Win10 copy (and vice versa) is because they are the same game. The Xbox just runs Windows so the build is more or less the same thing that runs on the desktop.

I can understand your frustration, but it's born out of misunderstanding I'm afraid...

2 minutes ago, Quetzal said:

I disagree entirely. Microsoft has nothing to do with Steam and vice versa, why would anyone think that Microsoft Play Anywhere offered that feature? A minute of Googling would have provided the answer and a little bit longer spent understanding Play Anywhere (including the provision for the situation where a game isn't yet out on the WIn10/PC) would have provided all the information one needs.

Wildcard has no influence over whether someone buying the game on Steam would get a Win10 copy (or even a discount). As I and others have said, Play Anywhere is entirely a Microsoft initiative (in much the same way Sony do some Vita/PS3&4 Cross Buy games). Why would Microsoft give away a free game to people who've paid the money to a different platform? The only reason Xbox gamers get a Win10 copy (and vice versa) is because they are the same game. The Xbox just runs Windows so the build is more or less the same thing that runs on the desktop.

I can understand your frustration, but it's born out of misunderstanding I'm afraid...

No it is not born out of misunderstanding. I am very familiar with how the system works. The lack of solid information is the problem and the massive delay in the launch of this feature until AFTER the game full released when it was announced originally as a December 2016 feature. Next it is well within wildcards power to give out codes for a massive discount or even free game on the store. It is there game and they can offer these incentives as they see fit.. it would not hurt microsoft as these are not physical copies purchased on the store. That means the cd-keys/ codes given can be ones given without charge or for different rates by wildcard. You do understand how game keys are purchased and handled by retailers I would assume.

So Wildcard DOES have influence over whether EA purchasers on steam get a copy of the game for win10. 

Lastly there are differences in play anywhere games between the platforms.. most being merely graphics related, but there are differences there. There has to be in order for the game to run on nvidia cards for example. Now the networking and data storage is mostly the same as it needs to be for cross platform compatibility. Also something you don't mention is.. if for example I had already purchased a Xbox one version of the game and play anywhere is launched. My spouse decides she wants to play, but doesn't have a copy of the game.. with how play anywhere works.. she could play on the xbox one and me on the pc without ever needing another copy of the game.. and yet we could both play off the same single purchase simultaneously.

I also think it is funny wildcard has basically removed anything and everything to do with the original planned play anywhere launch. They have even removed the QA sessions from back then as well. So maybe you should take a little of that time you advised about to do your own research into the topic and find out just how much was promised and how much never came to fruition.