Alpha Tribes and why they will eventually kill ark pvp

KarinFuto

On 9/11/2017 at 5:04 AM, KarinFuto said:

The concept of alpha is not something I disagree with. What I do disagree with is how little you can do against it, especially if you are new.

If you want to kill a game, make their introduction to the game raptoring horrible. And that is what you are succeeding with.

From spawn camping to spamming foundations. And everything in between.

Is there not a compromise that can be done so that A: The concept of alpha stays relevant along with the politics and B: They cannot troll endlessly, bully players off the server with no effort.

It's just not possible to do anything when they are ahead of you by months in resources and levels. It's not a question of "being ninja" when they have a dragon or any other high level flyer, and can roam trough the map with impunity. It's anti-social to the extreme and very toxic.

It would not be a problem if this did not happen in all of the official servers. But it essentially does. Rarely will you ever find a official server that is not ruled by a toxic alpha tribe who murder new players by the hundreds. What if you introduced servers that were level capped? To give new players a chance to gather resources. They would still be in danger as there would be other players around. But it would not be this "Fly around and roast every player encountered" thing where you can roam around and kill everything in sight. Perhaps 25/40/75/100? If you are above the level cap you simply cannot join the server.

There is a reason that new players are telling you about it. And I highly doubt all of us are complaining because "LOL IT's PVP".

We get that it's pvp, but it's just not balanced at all. It's also highly toxic as you are killing the chance for new players to actually join in on the game and participate if all they are going to get is getting wiped by a level 150 dragon around between stone and wood.

Another thing I am thinking about is if there was a nerf on tribes who go past 10 members. For every additional member total damage, (be it firing the dragons fire at someone while in the saddle or shooting with a shotgun) is lowered by 1%. Starting at 2% and maxes out at 20%. This nerf only comes on when a member of said tribe attacks first. Not if they get attacked first. And only applies towards buildings and players. Not dinos (you deal full damage to dinos). Because the more members the tribe has, the more ridicilous the bullying/roasting around becomes. Your own dinos only get the nerf if you are riding them and attacking, and the nerf is on a 3 minute cooldown for dinos.

Regardless of if you think my solutions are crap or not. One thing is for certain, most new players will leave on day 1 once they get a taste of this toxic behavior, and seeing as you have Mixed/negative on the steam reviews, can you really afford to raptor up a new players experience over and over? (While asking for 60 euros. Are you insane?)

67% of all the reviews are positive. and it has 126 530 reviews. Before you go cheering for it being above 50% (We got the majority wohoo, so there's no problems.), 41 764 players do give the game a negative review.

That is quite alot of players that think the game is either poop or some other negative aspect, no doubt this alpha toxic behavior being one of them. That's quite alot of players that can spread mouth to mouth.

Overall, if this continues you are going to have a small subset of groups playing PVP (The alphas), with the majority of new players leaving, refunding perhaps or just playing PVE, missing out on a game feature. Because they cannot get in on it, since they will be wiped. Just something as simple as building your first home will get you wiped. Some alphas have dedicated squads to kill new players and wipe the beaches regularly. What a great introduction!

Granted this is a hard subject to approach, but it is something that must be dealt with. If you get no new players the game will simply stagnate and not grow. And  the players who are still there will have no challenge at all.

"Why you just not get in tribe and kill the alpha".

Yes, because 4 new players are surely going to take down that 10 man tribe and above with stones and sticks while they have dragons and gigas. It does not make a difference to them. And even if the New Tribe had the same amount of members, the alpha has most likely months of resources and stats/level above the new tribe. That is a huge advantage to have.

"Lol it's pvp deal with it".

Okay you deal then with the player base slowly shrinking until the game becomes irrelevant. You would have even less fun then because now you got NO ONE to play against or with.

"Just hide good".

All the maps have poop hiding spots for new players. Especially on The Island. Hiding in Ark is hard if not outright impossible for a new player.

Also because low spec on ark removes the grass/clutter pretty much completely leaving flat textures, crouching or laying down on the ground is pointless unless you are behind a object.

On a side note: Asking for 60 euro for a game that releases early access "DLC" and that has this kind of toxic gameplay ingame is a rather tasteless joke Wildcard. Lower the price of the game, Ark is not worth 60 euro while riding with these kind of problems (not even counting the rubberbanding and lag on the official servers).

What i think could be done is that they add some fresh servers and put like a 2 month transfer ban on them so that people can build up and defend and play the game normally yknow and then they can get into the big fight and i think that would be good for the playerbase and maybe even intice new players who left before to come back because now they'll have a chance to build up and play the game normally before all of the mega tribe wipes

thoughts?

• 2 months later...

I fought my way to become an Alpha leader in a server bullied by the chinese. I have built a strong tribe along the way and many alliances. Now the chinese beg me for mercy. It is possible. It just takes brains and people willing to work together instead of get over on each other. A concept the chinese are more aware of than most Americans.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:20 AM, Superdeath said:

I fought my way to become an Alpha leader in a server bullied by the chinese. I have built a strong tribe along the way and many alliances. Now the chinese beg me for mercy. It is possible. It just takes brains and people willing to work together instead of get over on each other. A concept the chinese are more aware of than most Americans.

Not so much brains as a group large enough and full of players that can afford to play enough hours to be considered an unpaid job with tons of overtime.

which means anybody with a life is unable to experience anything called pvp, because all you will do is PVE day after day from raids that set you back to square one.

Things are much much worse than anything said here. Many of these alpha tribes actually make alliances with each other to stay of each others servers. So basically every server gets a bully that nobody stands a chance at fighting back at.

Honestly, transfers should be banned, alliances should be banned, and tribes should have a max size of 3-4. This would limit their growth speed.

Leave alliances, and transfers to PVE only servers were it won't mean an alpha coming in to own the entire map with their wyverns.

Real pvp is when anybody has a fair chance to kill you.pvp is not raiding empty bases,killing sleeping players and killing tames.

We can't stop people from deciding that playing all day in a game is more important than anything else they could be doing in life. Just so they can gain that ridiculous advantage. But rules or limits could be implemented to give those with a life a fair shot at fighting back. A few ways i can think of making things fair would be.

1. ban transfers

2.limit tribes to 3-4 players.

3.install ORP on all servers, to a limited range of where the tribe leader logs off.(meaning any building spams outside of that range are open to being destroyed)

4.implementing the no build anywhere near caves or major resource areas.

3 hours ago, Nokim said:

1. ban transfers

2.limit tribes to 3-4 players.

3.install ORP on all servers, to a limited range of where the tribe leader logs off.(meaning any building spams outside of that range are open to being destroyed)

4.implementing the no build anywhere near caves or major resource areas.

1. PvP servers would literally be dead without transfers. 

2. People are just going to team anyways, and all you do is kill the enjoyment of groups.

3. ORP is a broken system for a variety of reasons

4. Random arbitrary rules that serve no purpose. 

The reality is that this is Ark. This game is not designed for groups of 3-4 players. Particularly not PvP wise. You are not supposed to have a life and play Ark at the same time (lul 14 day raises). The game you *want* is a game that is fundamentally different then how this game was designed and intended to be played. Your 3-4 man tribe is not supposed to have a "Fair chance of PvP" against a tribe of 40 people. You're supposed to take your 3-4 people, and find a group of 35 people, join them, THEN fight the 40 people.

• 3 months later...

I'm a solo player playing on officials. I have a job and kids and it's taken me a year of playing and I've become strong enough to compete (on some level) with alphas. I live out of a couple of 3x3 & 2x2 hidden bases (no turrets or defences) and some hidden vaults. Apart from my backup base (found by accident) I haven't been found in 7 months with multiple large tribes searching and a couple close calls. I managed to get an alpha tribe to build me a cryofridge and i've scavanged about 80 cryopods. I utilise abandonded bases and have even raised wyverns in them. I can raid my server with impunity and have earned the respect of larger tribes, to the point where they will cooperate with me. I do raid small and medium tribes around a wide zone surrounding my areas and wipe them completely to keep the server population low, this has helped with my survival, it's kind of toxic but I have to do this to survive. I collect high lvl bp's for trade. I've managed to sit in on some boss battles and even participated in some successfully. It has been hard and i've played smart and certainly been lucky but solo can be done. 

Archived