Need more servers?

SusanCS

What types, platforms, and regions still need more servers? Answer here or on twitter if you like.

https://twitter.com/SusanCStieglitz/status/906254910378958848

Edit: You can also let me know on these sites too if you prefer...

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/6yzc8h/need_more_servers/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/1473096694442547910/

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I correct in that in order for them to make new servers, they must either:

1. Purchase new equipment 

2. Repurpose old (legacy) servers 

Is that right? 

So they also said that they cannot keep purchasing new servers (I didn't understand why). 

So doesn't that mean that more legacy servers need to go? 

1 hour ago, Jtmorris said:

Am I correct in that in order for them to make new servers, they must either:

1. Purchase new equipment 

2. Repurpose old (legacy) servers 

Is that right? 

So they also said that they cannot keep purchasing new servers (I didn't understand why). 

So doesn't that mean that more legacy servers need to go? 

I'm mostly looking to collect info on what kind of servers players truly need, so I can make some suggestions on what is needed. As to how WC gets to those servers or decides to allocate resources... that's up to them. I just want to make sure Jer's fully aware of server needs, and I suspect he was not.

4 minutes ago, incinderberries said:

YES. I still can't get into any. They're always over 70/70 ALL THE TIME. I got lucky ONCE. ONCE since they've been brought online. I'm even beginning to open up to joining an EU server if there's space in it, even though I'm in the US.

There isn't space on EU either we only have a handful of servers: 6 island and 1 each for rag and centre.

2 minutes ago, Hemplethwaite said:

There isn't space on EU either we only have a handful of servers: 6 island and 1 each for rag and centre.

Yeah, I know. But if they add more and I can get into an EU instead of NA, I'm seriously considering it. I see spots open on PvP servers, but PvP isn't my thing.

Just gonna paste what I wrote on steam here for any additional considerations:

Susan,

According to statistics and metrics by 3rd party venues that monitor Ark official servers, Before the 29th of August, there were in the range of about 960 official servers(legacy now as they're known as).

As it seems now, there are roughly 663 active official servers (steam player considerations wise). This seems to include both the "new officials" and the old legacy servers as well.

If accurate, thats a net loss of around 200 servers.

With both the official launch, the displacements and exodus encouraged by the no support rule on legacy for people to move to the new servers, and as well the announcement of the new dlc continuing to influence sales, this has conspired to create this situaiton.

Jer made statements(wont bother to wholly cite at the moment), that led others to believe that post the 29th, we would have an overall net -gain- of servers over the 900 mark. This assumption that was easily able to be led by Jer's stating more servers because of wanting to maintain legacies and the new ones and making statements of how it would double costs(ie double costs would seem to indicate double the servers yes?).

At any rate, WC internal statistics on demands should've been the better guiding force(that is if Jer was tracking this which I hope he was) prior to in a proactive manner for determining server considerations and not reactive.

So with all that said, obviously there seems to be a desire to not 1:1 ratio previous legacy numbers/types with current new servers(and seems too reduction in overall server numbers is to keep your costs the same as pre 29th as close as possible despite what Jer said otherwise. As well there seems to also be a banking for servers from that 200 to be implemented into the abberration dlc server considerations.

In order to better then have people answer opinions and suggestions concerning where or how then new servers should be added, it may very strongly be influenced by Abberration DLC servers and or the DLC past that? Ie if there is to be cluster consderations or not etc.

Then there is another elephant in the room: Wildcard's take on the role of unofficial servers in conjunction with the mods. Clearly whether intentional(and this isnt a bad thing in my opinion) or not, there seems to be compelling evidence that there is a preference and more importantly a need for Wildcard for players to play modded content and unofficial servers(mods, costs of hardware and support deferred, etc).

So here are my suggestions:

1. WC should use internal metrics to better determine demand and more proactively instead of reactively and budgeting costs accordingly.

2. With or outside of that, a replacement of as many of the 200 servers lost in their roles in the new server scheme should be considered and across the regions of demand. Polling on the forums when there is an understanding that 1. many do not read the forums. 2 Many are not native speakers of English in SA EU OC areas that they have no adequate advocacy either is important to factor.

3. Be more clear as to(and market thus in a positive way) Wildcard's encouragement to play unofficial servers and better facilitating such(there's a thread where someone was wanting those options for personal compter rigs made even more user friendly than they even are now for example) and better support QoL for single player too.(Many features just do not translate well from servers to SG and its frequently given a lower priority to implement... as more progresses with the game that will continue to potentially lag farther behind too).

I think as Im implying that Jer et al prefer to keep official servers to a minimum as its a big cost consumption. Im saying with 26000+ unofficial servers to the current less than 700 official servers for the PC players, its perhaps time to more aptly market the game's mod centric and thus unofficial server focus and facilitate that more easily for the playerbase.

There are many positives to easing in better into that marketing consideration more transparently, in my opinion at this point versus the way its been groomed for the last 2+ years.

50 minutes ago, CatInFire said:

Need lot more EU PVE PC servers. 

For each kind of map/Dlc

This is true! It's annoying and frustrating that I can't play my favourite game. I'm a father of two and the only time I can play is after they've gone to sleep. I have told all my friends about this game and now they're angry at me because they can't play on an official server with a decent ping. This is very disappointing. I've been with you since day 1 . Early accessing it , with bugs and all, waiting for this moment. Launch day! :D

But no, server is full..server is full... 

Hope to see more pve eu servers soon. I really do love this game, but I just can't recommend it to people if they can't play it like it was intended.

Norway says Hi :)

24 minutes ago, Skuf ★ said:

We need a lot more EU PVP PC servers. Specially Ragnarok, everyone is flocking to those atm.

Just first want to say I'm not wanting to invalidate what you're saying. However, it sparked something as well that I wish to comment on: Need vs Want vs Practical Reality.

WC for all intents and purposes is trying to walk a fine line between the wants of players the needs due to wait times, and the cost effectiveness on servers that in 1 month may become virtual ghost towns due to the roll out and subsequent additions of Aberration servers for a small, finite, set of the Ark player base. 

While I do agree and stated in my long post that intentions for new servers need to, for example try to get the ratio of new servers to increase more close to what the previous pre 29th legacy server numbers were like(they had over 950+/- then but under 1k for PC as an example), its almost 200 less than that now and with them also being divided between legacy and new(so you could say that perhaps in the case of "new" servers, its a quarter of that the pre 29th official servers were(I don't know specifically but when we're at less than 700 on pc and that's dividing between the old and new, its certainly markedly less servers overall for those desiring official servers.).

But as you cite, more are flocking to ragnarok currently: the new shiny of the maps.  Same thing happened with Center when it came out officially.

Once aberration comes out, same will happen there.  this has real cost issues that they have to weigh between the need and the want.   There's not necessarily a good answer that is going to satisfy everyone: just a few theatrical stop-gap measures and continuing to encourage people to join the majority of players on unofficial servers where applicable.  To most, those measures are just going to feel like a Band-Aid on a brain tumor though(like the afk-kick which people were teaching others how to circumvent within minutes of implementation btw).

Either Jer will have to make good on statements he made prior to 29th's launch for having much more servers overall (from the 900+ mind you) and it being a true 100k+ additional cost like he stated, or they will have to kite the issue with a few smaller increases in staggered official server releases(groomed by the way because they stopped support of the legacy servers giving no incentives for people to feel to play them anymore really) until Aberration in October(betting November or later on Paddy would be wise :P) and the see how game population redistributes itself.  Otherwise they'll need to rethink strategies to more openly encourage and facilitate people to play and use unofficial servers.

54 minutes ago, Novarae said:

Im saying with 26000+ unofficial servers to the current less than 700 official servers for the PC players, its perhaps time to more aptly market the game's mod centric and thus unofficial server focus and facilitate that more easily for the playerbase.

There are many positives to easing in better into that marketing consideration more transparently, in my opinion at this point versus the way its been groomed for the last 2+ years.

There is a significant proportion of players who have no interest in playing on unofficial severs. There are lots of reasons behind this, not least the lack of support for anything but the new cluster of official servers.  Non-official servers at their best  may prove great, especially for larger tribes in PVE, but at their worst they are prone to become private fiefdoms for their admins who always have max level everything or disappear without warning,  a risk many players especially solo players prefer not to take.

If Wildcard's marketing strategy is to sell an MMORPG but not provide servers for it's customers then perhaps it's time for them to shut the doors on their operation 

We do need EU PVP Ragnarok for PC...

The launch for EU was slow, most servers appeared after NA and Asia servers were already up. People had tough time getting started, a few larger tribes easily capped the player count on each released server, leaving moderate/small tribes and individual players waiting, and these people are still waiting to get established properly.

Time matters in PVP, especially for large to medium large tribes. For 2-3 tribes with 70 players each, if one got far ahead of others only because they were able to login 1 minute earlier into the only few available servers at launch and capped the survivor limit to restrict others from joining, then is not fair game for the ones who didn't manage to get in at the right time. Sadly, this is what it became at launch. We need new servers ASAP or a handful of the tribes will be overpowered and it will be same as legacy servers once again, only that this time it won't be unfair play or cheating/duping, it will be an improper release responsible for this. PVP must be about better gameplay, better team chemistry and higher team efficiency, not about who logged into a server 1 minute early.

Archived