Question regarding spawn of strong dinosaur at the beginning of the game

Walayimuna

Hello, I am considerably frustrated because of some behavior in the game, and I wanted to know if this is intentional.

I am constantly loosing several hours of work in the game because of stronger and stronger dinosaurs spawning on my base, in two days it already happened 5 times.

The last time I thought 'Ok, finally, I managed to tame a Carnotaurus and I'm finishing this Diplodocus, now I'll be able to harvest berries and hide just a little faster' and the a T-Rex attacks my base

I built my baset exactly where I started, at the beach 3 spawn point on Ragnarok map.

Is this intentional? It kept happening again and again on the first map I played, at the center map, but that server had a lot of screwed up settings, like all dinos at the starting area where on average level 120+

Now this server is a vanilla server, every setting is as the game default is, but this thing of loosing hours of work in minutes continues to happen again and again, and is really, really frustrating.

Thank you

Wally

This is just something that will happen in the game. Your best option is to find another place to make your base. You're always going to have some level of threat to deal with when it comes to carnivores, but some places are more suited for safety than others. The beach isn't typically a safe place because there are plenty of creatures that could stroll by, especially if you leave your dinos outside. 

Yes, this is intended. Ragnarok is designed only to be available to experienced players (ascended beta level), Center for gamma ascension iirc.

In general: if a dino is threatening something you care about (other than yourself), lead it away; drop all your stuff and run away from your base and get it to follow you (lobbing a few stones may get its attention). It may kill you but you will respawn at base and the dino will be gone, trying to kill a rex as beginning player without good dinos is foolhardy.

You will die a lot in this game until you have some quite powerful dinos and even then you will die occasionally due to silly mistakes. Once you reach that point the game because a bit less entertaining imho; the major-butt-puckering-early-game-time is the best... in hindsight.

This is intentional. Ark is extraordinarily difficult when you start. New player tips:

#1 Spawns are not always safe. Look for a spot that has some natural defense, utilize cliffs or rivers.

#2 Tall walls are best defense. Focus on learning better tiers of structures, wood or even better stone. The faster you have some 4 high stone walls forming a full perimeter the better. This will help with protecting your tames. Use closed dino gates for perimeter walls, they are 4 tall and 2 wide for only the gateway and gate and are stronger than regular walls.

#4 After you build a perimeter, build a separate taming pen. Lure Dino's into it and enclose it with a dino gate. Once trapped then shoot tranqs through windows (or from a tall platform) to knock out. This ensures your tame will not escape and protect it while it is taming. Also the best way to tame dangerous Dinos like rexes safely (use stone).

#4 Tribe up (if multiplayer). The more reliable people in your tribe the faster you will expand and level up (shared XP and divided work load).

#5 Don't take unnecessary risks until you know what you are up against. It's better to find a safe spot and build your base stronger and gain more tames close by before venturing out. When exploring only use a tame that can quickly escape or is not a huge loss if it dies (ptera or frog).

Also use https://ark.gamepedia.com to look up information and download the Dododex app for taming calculators and other very useful tools.

Lastly, just keep at it! As you increase your defenses, level up and gain gameplay experience the game gets easier and much more rewarding. Eventually you will find yourself strutting around the map with little to no fear, other than the most devastating Ark encounter..... Lost connection to host while flying over the swamp!!!

Good luck and happy surviving! :)

Ragnarok is pretty tough, especially early on. Dinos tend to be higher lvls and everything wants to kill you. The starting areas (like viking bay) have a lot of more difficult areas around them, and the stronger dinos tend wander to starting areas

Funny story about the "starting" areas, my wife and i have been on our private rag server several weeks now. Saturday my brother joins us, and starts in viking bay. He builds a small thatch base on the beach, close to the mudslide. On his 1st night, we decide to give him a scare, (we are on coms with him) so we both jump on allos and whistle a couple to follow. Its was pitch black and foggy, and he is hiding in his base. We start killing things outside his base, making the pack roar, and causing all kinds of noise. Then stop in front of his base and just keep roaring. He's scared to move, let alone come out lol. Finally the sun comes up and I knock on his door. He ignores it, so I knock again and ask if he was going to let me in. Boy was he relieved to find it was me. So I invite him to my alliance, and no sooner did i do that and a lvl 150 rex appears and the only thing between it and his base was my allos. So we kill it and he forgave me for scaring him, lol

Sounds normal, but something that can be avoided by choosing a better base location.
Ragnarok is harder but there are a lot of safe places.

I've attached an image here that has a location that we found super safe.
Its on the beach but its on top of a small hill that is open only on one side which is easy to block. You are safe here form rexes and even from the alphas. There is no argentavis there. The place actually has multiple hills that are flat on top which makes it easy to build. Its easy to connect the hills to each other with pillar bridges if you need more space.

After when you get stronger this place is maybe a little bit too far "from the action" so you might want to relocate later, which we did.

ragnarok_vikingbay_safe_spawn.png

Archived