Drop etiquette on PVE servers

HoMeRj613

for PVE, i think the standard rule is the first person to the drop has dibs. if it is something they don't need they may leave it, so you can wait around to see, but they will probably assume you are waiting around to try to steal their drop, so you may say you're just waiting to see if they need it or not.

of course, even when people usually agree the first person should get the drop, people change their view when it is a holiday event, like Santa dropping gifts...then the way people want to approach it varies...some people will claim they called the first gift, even if they aren't the first person there (then they will go try to steal another gift from someone else).

best policy should be the first person there gets the drop.

Well, what goes around comes back around...and karma is a bitch. 

You can either be nice and let the 1st player check it first. Who know's maybe they don't want it and in the end you will still get it.

Or, you may steal it and find out it contains items you have zero use for (medium crop BP joke). But when karma goes it may happen that you get stolen items if front of your eyes...items you would kill to get your hands on. 

As for santa gifts. My PVE server plays by two rules. 

Rule 1 : If you live around dead island or green obelisk, and the santa is a red obelisk, you should not call the 1st/2nd/3rd what ever gift if you cant be on location before it hits ground. 

Rule 2 : When santa spawns and gets called out where he is, people call 1st/2nd/3rd and so on. And if everyone plays by the rules everyone gets loot. I've even see trades happen minutes after drops because 1st gift contained something someone else wanted and vice versa. 

And for players that do not play by the rules...well its hard playing on a server where everyone hates your ass.

this is all going to depend on the server.  I disagree on it being a pve or pvp thing.   I have played pvp servers with better manners than most pve.  ( because rude players get wiped for little stuff on pvp )  Typically its first come first serve even on the high lvl drops.  You can usually tell if you have a good player base on the server,  based on this and the amount of help people are willing to give new players.

16 hours ago, HoMeRj613 said:

Just want community feedback on what is proper etiquette if you get to a drop that is coming down and somebody is already there waiting, should it be fastest to open the drop and take the stuff  or at that point the drop should be conceded to the first person that arrived.

Meh, drops are usually useless so i play the good card and let first person at the drop get it.

This is a very good question and recently I found myself in an awkward position where the section around the drop hadnt rendered correctly so I landed in the dark aware of those nasty Troodons, and grabbed the loot just as I landed. Literally milliseconds later a player had rendered waiting to open to loot crate. I apologised profusely and offered them the bp I had got (cant remember what it was now).

What I generally do is this (when I'm not the first there):

1. Fly away to show I have no intention of taking the drop

2. Keep a distance so if they get attacked I can help out - this happened once on a Red drop, where a Troodon knocked a guy out running back to his Tap. I came in, killed the Troodon and protected him until he woke back up. I could have waited for the troodon to kill him, kill it and take the loot - but that isnt me.

3. I sometimes ask if the bp is a duplicate, would they mind letting me know what it is - in case I'd like to trade.

My point is... if you are there first, its that persons loot - that's my opinion anyway.

On 9/6/2017 at 3:54 PM, HoMeRj613 said:

Just want community feedback on what is proper etiquette if you get to a drop that is coming down and somebody is already there waiting, should it be fastest to open the drop and take the stuff  or at that point the drop should be conceded to the first person that arrived.

Typically whoever is there first gets it, at least on PvE servers.  If you want to try and snatch it from someone who was there before you, nothing is stopping you.  You'll get a bad reputation very quickly doing that, and the meager drop rewards don't come close to the rewards that typically come from having a goid reputation.

Archived