what did we get

Manix

ok a new story ...with the ideea that i might get banned.what is the point for old ppl to even keep on playing this game considering the fact that old servers will get shut down and how will u guys avoid bad publicity with the stunt u pulled killing some of the legacy servers and like years of hard work from ppl ...all so you would raise up the price of a game that is not even finished fully u patch and patch bugs ...and what about ppl that actualy helped u get the buggs and glitches u missed (btw some are still there:aka terrain stuck glitches and gettin killed) what is the point ...I mean you guys know that many ppl will actualy do a bad publicity like old streamers that actualy said this is a game that devs simply kill servers and do whatever they dream about a day before the next day 

I logged into my old server after a long break from ark. All I saw everywhere were Tek gates in ridiculous amounts as far as the eye could see. The server was a wasteland of duped items. Right or wrong WC had to make a decision about the long term viability of these compromised servers. While not all will be happy with the decision they made, I think things would have been far worse if they had launched the game with these servers being the first thing new players would see. 

I actually kind of enjoy building back up. With the knowledge from before I can cut right to the chase and know what we need to progress to our final end game. I will miss my old server when it's time is up but I am still playing over there doing boss fights while getting a strong foothold on the new server's. 

The duped item's had to go. It's not an ideal solution but being able to actually play the game as opposed to 5 straight hours of 255 ping and rollbacks is nice for now. Lets hope it sticks around. 

I love starting fresh. For me that's some of the most exciting gameplay. After a major base is setup and huge Dinos are acquired, it's just grinding out materials after that. (updated boss fights and tells tier have helped a bit) so end game has typically been a bit stale. 

On our server with Ragnarock we are doing no fliers and starting fresh - exploring the massive map on the backs of horses to start (our first tame thanks to some wild rockcarrot!). Beautiful and fun. 

My point is, although some are vocal because they don't like it, there are MANY who really enjoy it. 

Honestly, more people play on unofficial servers currently than they do on officials. So those players go unaffected and have probably run into issues of losing their work several times in the pursuit of a good server.

Second, The game finally launched officially. So in order to play with new players and get the full benefit of it, it is best to play on the new servers anyways. I'm not sure about you, but the game was getting stale and the legacy servers are full of duped items and limited build locations. The new servers help fix the duping issues while also giving everyone a clean slate to build on. 

Third, it is not hard to level or build back up. It takes time, but the journey is what makes it fun. With all the new people starting on these servers you can quickly make some new friends and form a tribe and build up together. This is an opportunity to meet more people and increase the fun you have in the game.

Lastly, you gained the rewards from all of that stuff you previously built. Losing the servers doesn't make that time wasted. You learned how to play better, you picked up new tricks and strategies, and lastly you had a good way to spend your time that was fun. So not you didn't just throw away that time.. you benefited every step of the way or else you wouldn't still be playing the game.

The only thing I think WC should have done was just announce they were going to be wiping all of the legacy servers. Then everyone could have started fresh and been on the same page. As it stands they have basically divided the community in to two groups. Those that want to have fully supported servers and those who are two stubborn to leave their old servers. Then again when most people play on unofficial servers these days... all of this is rather less important as a whole. The only real argument is for the people playing on consoles who are presently much more limited in the options they have when it comes to unofficial servers. 

I was initially stoked when my legacy survived but it wasnt until I decided to try get a foothold on a new server just incase my legady wad rolled that I realised the new official was much MUCH nicer to play on. Staeting out is fun and like someone said above, with my game knowledge its much easyier 3rd or 4th time around. I logged back to legacy to feed my 2 bases and it was horrible. Lag, crash, rubberband, high ping hell. Cant beleive I put up with that for so long. I know the new servers may do that too one day but for now im living........surviving the dream

1 hour ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

There's wild vegetables now? Man, I need to get out and about more. Been taming low levels with berries and meats waiting for the gardens to grow, if there is wild veggies I'll be getting a 150 ptera tonight. 

There's wild rockcarrots and savorroots on the Ragnarok map. Center and Island map don't have that sadly.

Everyone else so far in this thread said it clearly. The new servers seem to be much much better and the Legacy servers are the byproduct of what the cheaters did and those who were pressured enough to feel they had to cheat as well to stay in the game. Little did they know that it would be these actions that led to their servers becoming terrible in the long run.

2 hours ago, Manix said:

starting from 0 is like really really annoying and u guys really have to think about that if u really want ppl to play this game and keep goying and u guys making money else bad publicity will follow u all over and noone will buy this game and all ur work will be gone 

I for one am loving the new start. I was tired of tek behe spams and massive giga wars. I miss the days where my journey riot gear would keep me alive though an entire raid and I would laugh at the club scrubs trying to club me out.

It was literally 285, max armor and max level giga fights 247 mixed with tek behe spam.

Gone were the days of an apprentice fab sniper reking house lol

2 hours ago, Manix said:

ok a new story ...with the ideea that i might get banned.what is the point for old ppl to even keep on playing this game considering the fact that old servers will get shut down and how will u guys avoid bad publicity with the stunt u pulled killing some of the legacy servers and like years of hard work from ppl ...all so you would raise up the price of a game that is not even finished fully u patch and patch bugs ...and what about ppl that actualy helped u get the buggs and glitches u missed (btw some are still there:aka terrain stuck glitches and gettin killed) what is the point ...I mean you guys know that many ppl will actualy do a bad publicity like old streamers that actualy said this is a game that devs simply kill servers and do whatever they dream about a day before the next day 

Not going to defend WC's approach.

However, there's nothing else out like Ark, nor even close if you're throwing out games still in EA (imho). As much as I love Ark, I'd love it even more if there were a better option but there isn't. So with no other options Ark is the best we got. It's either start over here or start over in a totally different game and to me Ark is still the best bet.

"years of hard work..." Oh you mean like the years of hard work WildCard put into building this game just so a bunch of spoiled, entitled, selfish, unappreciative little brats can come on a forum and $#!% all over it? THOSE years of hard work. For the love of #$&% what the hell is with gamers today? I hope to the gods that those 'old people' don't keep playing this game. As for all of that bad publicity, knock yourself out. The only reason people notice the negative press is because a) gamers LOVE to be armchair designers and complain and every friggin thing and  b) because it sells magazines and gets hits on web review sites and forum threads.

I have been in and around the game industry for over two decades and have worked with people from Blizzard to Riot and I can tell you 10+ years ago all of the bugs and issues and whatever BS people are complaining about right now happened in ALL of the major AAA studios. The only difference back then was there were no kickstarters to give know it all gamers access to the content before it was much more ready for release., Beta back then was a privilege. Now it is just something you buy. And I hate to continue to break it to people but what you bought was BETA ACCESS.

For being a fledgling company this was a really solid product and while others outside the company may not understand or like some of the changes or decisions they make jeebus stop stomping around the forums like someone just burned down your house. Next time you go to the movies and spend $50 on tickets and treats for 90 minutes of entertainment compare that to those hundreds of hours of fun you had playing this game and consider any amount they ask at this point a good deal. If people can't do that I hope they eventually do get so fed up with how they have been lied to and taken advantage of and show me on the doll where the mean developer touched you and just LEAVE! Those of us that are enjoying the hell out of the game, bumps and restarts and all are not going to miss them... ever.

3 hours ago, Dustrider said:

I logged into my old server after a long break from ark. All I saw everywhere were Tek gates in ridiculous amounts as far as the eye could see. The server was a wasteland of duped items. Right or wrong WC had to make a decision about the long term viability of these compromised servers. While not all will be happy with the decision they made, I think things would have been far worse if they had launched the game with these servers being the first thing new players would see. 

I agree...with the general idea. 

We legacy old players know what's going to happen to us.

The thing is...there is QUITE A LOT of players seeing those TEK infested servers...why...because neither them nor us can get onto new servers due to the lack of said servers. 

1 hour ago, Shadex said:

"years of hard work..." Oh you mean like the years of hard work WildCard put into building this game just so a bunch of spoiled, entitled, selfish, unappreciative little brats can come on a forum and $#!% all over it? THOSE years of hard work. For the love of #$&% what the hell is with gamers today? I hope to the gods that those 'old people' don't keep playing this game. As for all of that bad publicity, knock yourself out. The only reason people notice the negative press is because a) gamers LOVE to be armchair designers and complain and every friggin thing and  b) because it sells magazines and gets hits on web review sites and forum threads.

I have been in and around the game industry for over two decades and have worked with people from Blizzard to Riot and I can tell you 10+ years ago all of the bugs and issues and whatever BS people are complaining about right now happened in ALL of the major AAA studios. The only difference back then was there were no kickstarters to give know it all gamers access to the content before it was much more ready for release., Beta back then was a privilege. Now it is just something you buy. And I hate to continue to break it to people but what you bought was BETA ACCESS.

For being a fledgling company this was a really solid product and while others outside the company may not understand or like some of the changes or decisions they make jeebus stop stomping around the forums like someone just burned down your house. Next time you go to the movies and spend $50 on tickets and treats for 90 minutes of entertainment compare that to those hundreds of hours of fun you had playing this game and consider any amount they ask at this point a good deal. If people can't do that I hope they eventually do get so fed up with how they have been lied to and taken advantage of and show me on the doll where the mean developer touched you and just LEAVE! Those of us that are enjoying the hell out of the game, bumps and restarts and all are not going to miss them... ever.

Yes! And although this is a bit off topic, if WC had just released Ark as it is today, and no one knew it any different, (and of course all the servers were new servers), people would not notice the remaining bugs as much and would be looking forward to updates (bug fixes and content). Watching this EA unfold has been really interesting. On one hand it's soured a bunch of the community, and on the other, it's a lot of what it is because of the community feedback and input. 

you legacy alpha's sure like to complain about the servers... yet you look and all servers are half empty... Waste of space. It was a beta get over it and go to the new officials. Your lucky ark left those empty ghost town around.. they should have wiped all servers just like every other game does on release, but because all the complaints from  the legacy dupers... they were forced to leave servers or get bombed with negative reviews.

What did we get? I don't know about everyone else, but I got to play a game that wasn't released yet for 2+ years for $20, and ultimately saved $40 because I didn't have to buy the game new for $60 when it released. That alone is more than I was told to expect when I first purchased the game. Pair that with ~3500 hours of entertainment, and I feel like I got a good deal. Like I said though, I don't know about what everyone else got...but from what I've read here recently I'd say a lot of folks feel like they got a wedgie.

I personally started playing unofficial when we tossed everything on 500, and I couldn't get into an official rag server. The problem of not enough servers seems to have been resolved on PS4; but I genuinely like the unofficial. We have an awesome admin and a pretty decent player base for unofficial, so I'm genuinely happy here and will continue to enjoy the game for the foreseeable future.  Definitely got my money's worth, and more!

8 minutes ago, Manix said:

are u actualy looking at the new servers couple servers 70 70 and then 10/70 as it was in beta 

Eh, I don't know. On Xbox, all the Rag servers are 70/70 constantly. The Center servers average pretty high too. I haven't checked the Island servers.

Seems like they're pretty healthy server numbers to me.

Archived