Question for Otter owners?

Oldskool

Ok, so after taming a 145 and using them. Level your melee, as is already mentioned. Mine tamed with 2400 oxygen, so if you are like me and have 370 oxygen, you can use a lazarus chowder and expect the otter to probably have the same time underwater that you do.

I haven't done much with trying to use them to harvest pearls, honestly I just go do a riverbed run and grab them by the gross ton, I should try it if they gather a significant number.

Insulation is the big bonus. If I wear my otter and primitive fur armor, I have over 900 insulation. I can go into the coldest parts of the map and not even get the snowflake. On top of that, I still have about 40 hyperthermal insulation. I now feel comfortable wearing my asc ghillie hat and the rest as riot or flak gear, and never being worried about temps unless I'm on Murder peak, in which case I just throw on my chestpiece.

Seriously, if you never use them for anything else, the insulation is ridiculously op. Just be sure not to die and lose the poor little thing, I notice that Sammie has pretty low HP. I put an mastercraft flak helmet on him, keep him safe!

My tribemate got a 145 female, and they have a little otter girl, so we are going to have a full tribe of people who dgaf about weather.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:38 AM, Godsknite said:

Ok, so after taming a 145 and using them. Level your melee, as is already mentioned. Mine tamed with 2400 oxygen, so if you are like me and have 370 oxygen, you can use a lazarus chowder and expect the otter to probably have the same time underwater that you do.

I haven't done much with trying to use them to harvest pearls, honestly I just go do a riverbed run and grab them by the gross ton, I should try it if they gather a significant number.

Insulation is the big bonus. If I wear my otter and primitive fur armor, I have over 900 insulation. I can go into the coldest parts of the map and not even get the snowflake. On top of that, I still have about 40 hyperthermal insulation. I now feel comfortable wearing my asc ghillie hat and the rest as riot or flak gear, and never being worried about temps unless I'm on Murder peak, in which case I just throw on my chestpiece.

Seriously, if you never use them for anything else, the insulation is ridiculously op. Just be sure not to die and lose the poor little thing, I notice that Sammie has pretty low HP. I put an mastercraft flak helmet on him, keep him safe!

My tribemate got a 145 female, and they have a little otter girl, so we are going to have a full tribe of people who dgaf about weather.

Yah they're amazing for letting you wear real armor in the ice caves. I didn't know they could wear flak helmets, but I do know they can wear mining helmets. Not sure if the light goes straight ahead or if you have to turn to use it, but hey free light.

Some otters are bugged. Upload it in a beacon then download it back. Works most of the time. 

Otter Pearl gathering is not worth it, angler fish is much more efficient. You throw one with a fish basket in the fertile lake, 10 min later you have over 2000 pearls. As for black Pearl, go to the elemental pool and get about 80% of your Drake's weight in black Pearl then go back to base. There are so many of them. 

However they are just amazing as insulators. My otters gives me almost 500 cold insulation and over 300 heat insulation once leveled a bit in melee. I only lvl them in melee. 

• 4 months later...

yea honestly otters suck. cute as hell, love the animations; but other than that they're literally worthless. hand grabbing pearls is 100x better and with a mod called berry sickle it's 100x better than that. i've done all sorts of tests from taming 1-10, lvling up different stat combos and so on; the insulation is it's best feature and like the jerboa, a very nice second inven space. all in all i honestly think it's just a cute pet to have run around inside your building but nothing more. 

2 hours ago, darkfang1989 said:

yea honestly otters suck. cute as hell, love the animations; but other than that they're literally worthless. hand grabbing pearls is 100x better and with a mod called berry sickle it's 100x better than that. i've done all sorts of tests from taming 1-10, lvling up different stat combos and so on; the insulation is it's best feature and like the jerboa, a very nice second inven space. all in all i honestly think it's just a cute pet to have run around inside your building but nothing more. 

With high enough melee, you can be in flak armor in metal house on Scorched Earth map during a scorched earth and be just fine if you change the gain per level of tamed dinos.

For all the people confused about how to make them get pearls, ignore the old posts about putting them on aggressive, wander etc.

Have them on your shoulder, and go to a pool with fish (preferably not too many piranha and salmon tho mine has never died from such).

Simply look at the fish in first person, and double tap F to throw your otter at them into the water.    That'll trigger him to circle and attack the fish.    Sometimes it takes a while if the fish is near the shore and the otter can't circle with a good angle, but it'll work eventually.    Not sure if it's the high melee, but I'd say 1 in every 4 throws gets a black pearl, 2 of the other 4 get regular pearls.    When they kill the fish they'll either show a pearl by doing a backstroke with the pearl on their stomach, or coming up to land and holding it up.    They should always come back to you, so just keep throwing.

Note: Always wear the flak helm.    Armor, and your otter will look like a Dovakin...

40 minutes ago, Migol said:

For all the people confused about how to make them get pearls, ignore the old posts about putting them on aggressive, wander etc.

Have them on your shoulder, and go to a pool with fish (preferably not too many piranha and salmon tho mine has never died from such).

Simply look at the fish in first person, and double tap F to throw your otter at them into the water.    That'll trigger him to circle and attack the fish.    Sometimes it takes a while if the fish is near the shore and the otter can't circle with a good angle, but it'll work eventually.    Not sure if it's the high melee, but I'd say 1 in every 4 throws gets a black pearl, 2 of the other 4 get regular pearls.    When they kill the fish they'll either show a pearl by doing a backstroke with the pearl on their stomach, or coming up to land and holding it up.    They should always come back to you, so just keep throwing.

Note: Always wear the flak helm.    Armor, and your otter will look like a Dovakin...

The thing is they often bug and are sometimes latched to another tribe member (even if this tribe member is offline) and when you throw them, they hunt normally, however, instead of coming to shore to show the pearl they run to your tribemate (that is very far away)...

best thing i know for otters and i dont know if this is a bug or not so please dont be mad if it is are they can hold several of the same artifacts. i take it when i go caving and put several in there on one run and it used to be  they can only hold 5 but after the weight fix they did on them (artifacts weigh 5 lbs) they can now hold as many as there weight allows so i have on i specificly leveled in weight only just for going in caves

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 7:54 AM, Paroxyde said:

With high enough melee, you can be in flak armor in metal house on Scorched Earth map during a scorched earth and be just fine if you change the gain per level of tamed dinos.

did that on rag for the colder areas. but it's not the higher temp people were wanting about it, it was the pearl collection which is literal crap. they dont do it automatically at all. you have to manually tell them to attack each and every fish in the area to get said pearls which means dending on amount of fish in the area you could spend an hour or more just floating there in the water goin "attack this, attack that." it "works," yea. but like i said by hand is 100x better and if you know the places where black pearls spawn even that's 100x better than using an otter. 

11 hours ago, darkfang1989 said:

did that on rag for the colder areas. but it's not the higher temp people were wanting about it, it was the pearl collection which is literal crap. they dont do it automatically at all. you have to manually tell them to attack each and every fish in the area to get said pearls which means dending on amount of fish in the area you could spend an hour or more just floating there in the water goin "attack this, attack that." it "works," yea. but like i said by hand is 100x better and if you know the places where black pearls spawn even that's 100x better than using an otter. 

Tame an angler fish for pearl, not an otter. It's like taming achatinas for polymer... 

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have found the fastest way to get pearls with otters is to keep them on your shoulder set to attack my target and swim around punching fish. they'll finish the fish off and harvest it as long as you stay in reach plus this way they get the added protection of as much armor as you can wear. make sure the otter is the one to get the kill, as they only seem to harvest pearls when they kill a target you either whistle attack on or attack yourself.

Archived