Question for Otter owners?

Oldskool

I recently found my loyal Otter companion on official after a long time hunting around. 

I have figured out that levelling melee stat increases the insulation effect which is cool.

And i have also managed to harvest fish an got some pearls. I just wanted to ask if anyone has seen them come out of the water and hold up thw pearl like they did in the trailer or was this just a show thing.

Also has anyone managed to get any blacl pearls. If any fellow Otter trainers could shed some light I would be grateful.

They do indeed do the animations, but not 100% of the time, I've found, especially if they're tangling with multiple Sabertooth Salmon. The Black Pearl collection rate isn't amazing but if you can find a pool of Coel and leave your dude on wander/aggressive and following a stationary tame, it''ll definitely help you out later in the game just from stockpiling pearls for so long. Long-term investment on that front

Yes, they come out of the water and show you a pearl when they complete fetching the pearl after you make them 'attack my target'

This is a very small control test group which shouldn't be used as any actual data percentage, but out of 10 commanded fish kills it retrieved 9 normal pearls and 1 black pearl for me. 

10 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

They do indeed do the animations, but not 100% of the time, I've found, especially if they're tangling with multiple Sabertooth Salmon. The Black Pearl collection rate isn't amazing but if you can find a pool of Coel and leave your dude on wander/aggressive and following a stationary tame, it''ll definitely help you out later in the game just from stockpiling pearls for so long. Long-term investment on that front

Are you sure of that? I've been trying to put my Otter on aggressive one day, without it following me of course it was not gathering any pearls. So I tried with your trick, made it follow my tuso but it still hasn't gathered any (only meat). Moreover, if the tame you make it follow stays underwater, isn't the Otter going to die from suffocating at some point? If you make the Otter follow a land tame, it's not going to dive to kill fish. At least that is what I noticed with mine, maybe mine is broken :P
What did I do wrong?

I think my otter is slightly broke. Maybe smashed to many pearls together an hurt its head. 

I set it to follow an attack target. Target a fish it swims up kills it then stops following an just spins around in a circle. I have to whistle follow again then it comes to the beach no animation but it has 1 pearl in its inventory.

His name is Sir Otterman an he is deffo not doing his job right

9 hours ago, Norlinri said:

At least that is what I noticed with mine, maybe mine is broken :P
What did I do wrong?

No idea O.o I do get pearls, though I've actually had mine in with some Sabertooth Salmon (not long term), I simply suggested Coel because they don't wreck his furry little bottom. Maybe Coel don't give pearls very much?

11 hours ago, rawsh said:

unfortunately besides being hella cute the otter has not much going for it,  the fishing feature is cute but they wont replace any existing techniques, and the insulation is not really noticeable imho, earlygame tame before you can tame a proper shoulderanimal like a highlv monkey or dimo, 

The insulation goes up as you level melee stat. My lv 125 otter gives me as much hyperthermal as a full set of desert gear and as much hyppthermal as a fur chest an legs. Quite a nice bonus for a shoulder mount

9 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

No idea O.o I do get pearls, though I've actually had mine in with some Sabertooth Salmon (not long term), I simply suggested Coel because they don't wreck his furry little bottom. Maybe Coel don't give pearls very much?

I usually collect pearls when I have it on "Attack this target" on Coel :P Oh well it's fine, I just hoped there would be a way for the Otter to passively collect some pearls, and with this rate I think this wouldn't even have been OP :) Thanks for your help!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Thinking about getting one of these lil jerks on aberration. Would you owners say the rate at which they collect pearls is worth the tame?

It’s okay but you will eventually need something more but they are so cute I still only use them,the insulation they give also helps tremendously

On 9/6/2017 at 11:31 AM, Gunzor said:

My level 55 lasted 5 mins .. 140 Salmon killed it, be careful with  setting him on aggressive is my advice. They don't have much HP. Rip Otto McOtterface

here's the little furry fish

Lol, that video showcases all the crap that i've complained about on the forums about that particular taming method for Hesperornis/Otters. I absolutely despise that taming method due to the wildly gyrating fish blocking your feeding, and if you accidentally drop it the fish begins to float up into the air, as if it was ascending to fish heaven.

Been wanting to tame some high level Otters on my Ragnarok server so i can hopefully get a high Melee Damage one to breed, but i've been having a hell of a time finding Otters, and the taming method pisses me off consistently.

They only gather a small amount of pearls, not really their strong point. They are much better for added insulation an heat protection when on your neck. When it comes to aberration tho the new shoulder pets are easily better for being useful. Best way to get pearls is checking the pools around the starting area outside the portal/mushroom forest. Also trillobites give you a fair bit of pearls. Hope this helps!

Hello,

Since I think the Otter is the best creature in ARK because of all the uses and good looks. I must point out some of its weaknesses and how to avoid the hurdles.

Only tame over level 100 to avoid starvation and baby starvation. Use Ichthyornis (bird) to hunt fish for the taming process. Also tame a Spinosaur in the same waters as the Otter to hunt fish later on.

I level speed only as this makes them survive the wild.

Breeding is essential to further increase all stats and color combinations.

Follow this link to find spawn locations and further information: https://ark.gamepedia.com/Creatures

Wish all a great continuous 2018

Regards,

Ariana

Archived