Phoenix Troubles

Helam

Spent all day systematically combing the map (scorched earth) with 2 people. Updated to server version where they are 3x more common (3 x 0 == 0) and combed the entire map again. The whole time we were in heat waves started via admin command. No phoenixes to be found. 

Finally overcame our strong desire to find one semi-naturally and used admin commands to spawn a couple. Get them tamed. Find out they can burn through their entire food stat in about 1-1.5 full flame dashes (holding space bar) or just a few minutes sprinting around. You need sulfur to feed them but you're stuck on this tiny 1 mph bird that cant move because its food is gone and it dies shortly after of starvation.

So basically:

1. Impossible to find.

2. If found, very difficult to tame in the amount of time you have.

3. If tamed (and if you can manage to mount the non-landing thing), and if it can carry your weight, then you can ride it for a couple minutes before it dies of starvation.

One of the ones we tamed died of starvation, we rushed the other to an obelisk and uploaded it hoping for some kind of massive rework of the messy things in the future.

Even trying to kill something on it is difficult. Aiming the fireball is inconsistent and maneuvering to actually land a hit (something that is difficult enough on other fliers) is impossible because of how slow they. You'd think slow moving would be easy to maneuver but it drifts in the direction you move so you cant even do slow controlled movements.

Maybe they can only be found in natural heat waves not started by admin command? But we did test ending and starting the heat waves with the spawned ones and they disappeared and reappeared (The ashes went invisible when the heat wave was gone..? What is that about?). So the spawned ones were affected by the admin command heat waves.

Is there some kind of difference in food consumption between admin spawned creatures and regular wild creatures?

Something, or many somethings, are very wrong with the phoenix at the moment.

They're not that hard to find from what I've noticed (my tribe and I have found and tamed 5 so far.) The time frame isn't an issue because if you fail to tame it after it's been found the first time then it'll spawn back in at the same spot and then you have the entire heat wave to tame it. We tamed it with wyverns every time, it's efficient and works well.

I don't have any trouble with food consumption now that it's been more balanced but I'm also not forcing it to speed fly all the time either. If you're having that much trouble keep a few rows of sulfur in your inventory for when you tame it. Practice patience, if making it fast fly keeps killing it then maybe try to not fast fly? Lol

I don't mind the hovering feature. You're not required to land and it recovers stanema in the air, I hate being on the ground and vulnerable so this is great imo. You can also get them into nifty positions in your base, I currently have one dead center in my colloseum designed aviary. It makes for a really good center piece with its intense natural lighting xD;; After you tame so many what else do you do with them but place them around and always have cooked meat on them for convenience lol!

I am having the same experience, couldn't find one naturally during regular heat waves, so I started manually kicking off heat waves and flew up to the top of the sky looking for one - nothing for days.

I ended up cheat tame/spawning one last night just to see how it worked, and found it to also be very weak. And I spawned a very high level one too.

I'm currently using it inside my base as a non-moving grill and gas maker. Not enough weight to hold any significant amount of metal for smelting. It's a great grill though, worth using for lower creatures to speed up cooking stuff on the run, I like that feature. But what a sad use for a majestic, magical creature. I like how it can regain stam while flying still, but it's hard to re-mount at times (like wyvern and gryphin on follow, they won't get close enough to get back on).

I didn't have issues with food running dry from the spacebar/burn run, but I didn't push it that hard. Overall it seems weak for everything, even with the +200% bumps they gave it.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree the Phoenix needs some reworking, because at the moment all I am doing is sitting on a scorched server all day waiting for a heatwave. I have had days when I went 13 hours without a single heatwave, which should not be a thing.

This causes the player to sit around and twirl their thumbs until that lucky 5 minute window. I never see any phoenixes during the heatwave because everyone I ask gives me mixed messages. Some people say look in the dunes and others say look in the middle of the map.

The Phoenix itself is completely terrible for Pvp. It might have its niches but in the end it will be shot out of the sky in seconds, and its damage is not good enough to take on anything significant.

A few solutions would be to make the wild phoenixes render at longer distances, similar to the titanosaur. Also have the damage scale up a little bit based on melee. 

Would love to breed them as well, but they should make it very difficult, even though I don't think they will be op to any degree...

There is an invisible bug going around with the phoenix , experienced it 1st hand . 

The same bug is making it very hard to look for them , the entire server was looking for it but nothing found . 

Please make the phoenix have same rendering range as the Titan or at least have 3 of them during a heatwave , taming the phoenix is the longest taming process ....

• 2 weeks later...

For food, Sulfur gives 100 food, and can stack up to 100, weighs 5. Its carry weight is only a bit better then Ptera's. Make sure you have some Sulfur before hand to put on the tamed Pheonix, and you probably will want to carry at a couple stacks on the Pheonix constantly (10k food with a full stack, and it goes pretty fast

They really aren't a traveling mount though until you get a high lvl one. If you are playing on a private server, I would strongly suggest modifying the various Food Dino stats. It's not fun to deal with starvation. I would up Tamed Dino Food gain per lvl and Tamed Dino Food affinty on tame to 99.9 (max possible), it then removes Dino food as a game mechanic more or less. Don't modify wild dino food stats though - Passive tames only eat the second time when their food has dropped 10% i believe, so if you have it set high, it will take a LONG time to feed the passive tame the second time.

As for the spawn rate of the pheonix itself, idk. Its possible that they broke its spawnrate with one of the latest updates.

• 2 weeks later...

My tribemate and I have been hunting phoenixes a lot, and I think they spawn similar to how DWs do.

When we hunt for DWs we usually walk over their spawn points, and most of the time there's none. On the way back they are all in their usual spot.

We found at least 3 phoenixes when we flew over an area for the second time.

One time I flew straight out into the desert, and back the exact same way into a phoenix. The other two times my tribemate crossed the path I was taking before and found one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

By luck we recently tamed one during the Christmas event - Xbox official se pve. I found one at night when there was not a heatwave. It was on the sand at the beginning of the scar, blue obo side. My tribe mates flew over and could not see it but I could, very strange. Once I flew out of rendering range and back towards it, it was gone. Luckily I marked the location with a pillar and built a 4x5x5tall pillar trap. We waited for a heatwave and tamed it using 20 oils, lit by flame thrower and 4 fire wyverns under 2 mins. Since then we have been looking for another but have not seen one, Ive asked numerous people on the server and they haven't either. Hope they do some changes to make this dino more than a base trophy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived