Can some one from Wildcard please explain the "anti duping" system?

Shoosty

Just now, VIKAS said:

I was answering to Nick, but I have to say that I feel that I'm not able to add anything constructive to the post.

If you guys really know how to fix the problem in order to make it better for all of us. Please contact them.

Sorry for disturbing your post OP. 

We are discussing it on their own official forum. 

ps: just for sake of recording im just a software QA lead for 18 years by now... my job is to circumvent the things what the devs come up :) 
But in this case I just read these forums, as I wrote  above Im a happy unofficial player for serveral reasons, not having transfer raids and dupers is one of them :D

Just now, VIKAS said:

I was answering to Nick, but I have to say that I feel that I'm not able to add anything constructive to the post.

If you guys really know how to fix the problem in order to make it better for all of us. Please contact them.

Sorry did not mean to attack you. It just as i see it, WC has some good programmer that doesn't have basic experience in game programming specifically.

There are few buttons missing that would improve gameplay experience here and there. There are few methods to fight duping like don't give item right away, or upload it in packages with timeout of few min. Etc. There are tons of way to fix this all. Its just takes some creativity, not raw programming knowledge.

So lets see if I understand this!

• Anything which has been in my inventory for X minutes is eligible for upload. (X = 30?)
  • Opening and closing the obelisk's inventory adds X to the timer for all items in my inventory.
  • Transferring items into a container or dino, and back again, adds X to the timer.
  • I am being punished for something I didn't do.

Does that sound about right?

3 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

That just means that devs dont really understand the main nature/reason of dupes: delay between upload and world save. Too bad.

Although kinda expected outcome because most/all solutions to game problems were/are solved via scripts and artificial limits instead of proper feature rework.

I think they know,  just don't know how to completely stop it or this is actually a bandaid till they get the real solution (if possible) because of everything it might/ could entail.. as far as I know,  ark is a pretty big game with lots of moving parts,  there seems to be a big give and take with most of the systems while they've been optomizing and such so the clear cut solution might eff up another part of gameplay atm.. just my thoughts..

Just now, NickSmith76 said:

We are discussing it on their own official forum. 

ps: just for sake of recording im just a software QA lead for 18 years by now... my job is to circumvent the things what the devs come up :) 
But in this case I just read these forums, as I wrote  above Im a happy unofficial player for serveral reasons, not having transfer raids and dupers is one of them

I'm only a system administrator Nick.

I also play unofficials. I have had to close one of them because of the duping things.

So I really want them to make it impossible to dupe again. I love the game and want it to be a great game and sometimes it spins out of control

Thans for your patience with me seriously. Regards and good luck.

1 minute ago, ShadowAngel said:

Sorry did not mean to attack you. It just as i see it, WC has some good programmer that doesn't have basic experience in game programming specifically.

There are few buttons missing that would improve gameplay experience here and there. There are few methods to fight duping like don't give item right away, or upload it in packages with timeout of few min. Etc. There are tons of way to fix this all. Its just takes some creativity, not raw programming knowledge.

Im pretty sure it is not about the devs programming skills, but management decision - as 99% of the cases in the IT industry. Some bosses woke up in the jakuzzi after smoking weed all the night, saying to the devs: I need an anti duping solution in 2 days...  so the poor programmers did what they could. 

1 minute ago, VIKAS said:

I'm only a system administrator Nick.

I also play unofficials. I have had to close one of them because of the duping things.

So I really want them to make it impossible to dupe again. I love the game and want it to be a great game and sometimes it spins out of control

Thans for your patience with me seriously. Regards and good luck.

Can believe, but we made a proper discussion without throwing too much mud on each others face. Well done bro!

40 minutes ago, Shoosty said:

What an ignorant post.

Ignorant no, Ill worded, for sure.....

I was actually agreeing with you that the fact that the anti-duping system has become yet another "let's break things by trying to fix things...... "

And with regards to the rest of the post, I am soo sick of people piping up in these discussions trying to defend ark when they nothing about the whats and wheres... Since Ark release yet again there has been DDosing, Duping, Attacking under Mesh, ping problems so we all know Ark is broken.

I am a developer and have been professionally for 15 years so I do know what I am talking about and it is because of people hacking and duping that Ark has had to implement something (All be it broken...) so yes I stand by my #karma to any duper out there complaining that ark is broken! (Notice my "ANY" and not YOU)

Imagine that you trade an item in exchange for 20k ingots. S/he asks for structures not for ingots and you craft +530 ceilings. Weight for 200 ceilings is 800. Imagine that you have 500 weight stat on your character... Find out how many hours it will take to make the trade. A good math question for 8th graders... :(

We should keep this thread up until they solve this problem. This is a ... huge burden and waste of time for us.

5 hours ago, TranqRex said:

Haha, is this for real? You've got to stand there for x minutes (over 20 in OP's initial case) with the GUI open? Just ... stand there?! Leaving yourself open to attack from anything that wanders along or from fellow players?

5 hours ago, Goaty said:

No this isn't true. Any item that's been on you when the timer hits 0 it will be safe to transfer UNTILL you move it to a new inventory.

Also I'm sure that the timer is dependent on when the server last saved.

So the OP he probably put the walls back into the quetz and the timer hit 0 but it was refreshed because it wasn't in his inventory. 

I have tested it again and it seems to be working like you stated. reopening the inventory doesn't reset the timer.

Although I can clearly remember standing at a transmitter fully encumbered and having it reset on me (maybe i did something there that I can't recall or they changed it :P )

A few things to note about these timers.

• They do reduce peoples ability to dupe like they use to
  • They help stabilize server economies because it is more work to trade cross realm on the fly now.
  • Makes it harder to raid cross realm (which was becoming a big problem)

I mean don't get me wrong their are other ways to address the duping issue. I mean they could just have the server generate a unique ID for all items created, but this would put a lot more strain on the servers.. it would basically have the same effect as using a high dmg dino to gather on a 100x harvest server. That means only the highest performing servers would be able to take that extra load without crashing/lagging like crazy.

The technique I can guess was the biggest issue revolved around crashing the server... then way that certain things are handled led to duplicate items.. So the obvious fix for that method would to be to just resolve the crashes or code in fail-safes that disregard certain activities if performed in a certain time period.. or have better logging so that you can more easily track these people down and pass out a nice ban.

I honestly feel like they have more changes to fix duping issues going on behind the scenes and the change implemented was more of a bandaid for duping, but also addressed how cross realm transfers were being abused in unintended ways for raiding and resource trading. I think that while they want to encourage cross-realm play they also need to have each realm exist in as much of its own bubble as possible or risk killing the economy and making wiping a server too easy with very little recourse.

3 hours ago, VIKAS said:

Nothing to apologize for.  This is your forum as much as it is mine or any one else's, and you seem to be arguing in good faith.  Thank you for being respectful towards the other posters here and having a constructive intent to your posts.

3 hours ago, Memzer said:

So lets see if I understand this!

• Anything which has been in my inventory for X minutes is eligible for upload. (X = 30?)
  • Opening and closing the obelisk's inventory adds X to the timer for all items in my inventory.
  • Transferring items into a container or dino, and back again, adds X to the timer.
  • I am being punished for something I didn't do.

Does that sound about right?

Oh and don't split the item in half either. It will reset the timer lol 

I'm not sure how much time I've spent AFKing on ARK this week. I spent 4 hours today waiting for a Dire Bear to give birth, only to have the baby born underground. A few days ago I spent about 30 mins waiting for artifacts to spawn inside caves. Yesterday I spent a few hours waiting for a loot crate near my base to spawn so I could summon a boss. I must have spent around 40-60 mins waiting to upload to an obelisk this week. I've currently got 2 accounts logged in to ARK with my "T" key jammed down so I can feed 2 baby dinos.

If I didn't have a 2nd screen for forums and watching TV/movies I would definitely not enjoy ARK :P Atleast my excessive AFKing is making my Legacy server look a little more populated so hopefully it wont get shut down in the next wave.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:09 AM, TranqRex said:

Haha, is this for real? You've got to stand there for x minutes (over 20 in OP's initial case) with the GUI open? Just ... stand there?! Leaving yourself open to attack from anything that wanders along or from fellow players?

No, when you start the game their will be a timer going. When timer is out you can transfer your items to another server. But if you die then this timer will reset.

Archived