Chronicles Of A Mega Tribe

ForzaProiettile

This is an accurate account of 5 players from a small PVP tribe that packed their bags and headed to greener pastures or so we initially thought. For 2 months we got to know the inner workings of a large mega tribe, what made them tick and what also made them fail. We eventually left while we still had our sanity.

First a bit of a brief background to this. Before joining this tribe me and my buddies ran a small tight 5 man outfit. We were a raider tribe that lived well within its means. We had all the essential dinos just one of each farming variety, a meat gather (a Giga), a couple birds and a Quetz to assist all the others plus 1 bronto and a couple turtles for raiding. We were very successful raiders, did a lot damage to servers we hit with minimal resources expended and by the end we ended up having 30 vaults full of various bps, weapons, gunpowder and ammo all which as a 5 man team we simply couldn't use up fast enough.

Our main motivation for joining a mega tribe was largely for adventure. We had never been in a tribe larger then ourselves and since large tribes were becoming ever more common we figured we'd give it a shot ourselves. We were all very experienced PVP players and pretty much knew every trick and exploit in the book. So we figured we'd strike a deal with some larger tribe. We would assist them in PVP and raiding and they could have all the loot from the raids. We sent word out to a few of the really large tribes and one tribe after finding out that we were non other then a certain infamous raiding group agreed to let us join. Now from day 1 it was made plain and clear by us that we were not interesting in base building, farming for non raiding purposes, taming or breeding. We were just there to help them kill people, fight wars and help them defend their base if they got attacked. These were our only conditions of joining and this they agreed too.

Unfortunately in the first few weeks our agreement with them gradually ceased to exist. It quickly become clear that the tribe leadership saw us as just more slaves to tend to their fields. Not only were we treated as if we had just bought the game but the leader of the whole thing most likely had some kind of bi-polar disorder. He would wildly switch from one mood to the next and then back again in the space of a few minutes. I can remember one incident where our base on another server had been raided but there was still many turrets there filled with ammunition which we could have extracted. Upon querying him about this he told me in a fit of rage that all was lost on that server and that we were to just tear it all down and dump it as fast as we could. So me and my buddy are doing this then not more then 10 minutes had passed when suddenly he tells us out of the blue that one of the Quetz riders would be coming along to collect the turrets and ammo. We managed to salvage some of the loot bags before they expired but by then several thousand rounds of ammo had simply vanished.

Not only did we have a nut job for a leader but it was also impossible to share advice on any subject. Despite having played the game for over 3000 hours all on PVP servers and having raided nonstop since the day we bought the game back in 2015 in the few raids we did partake in we were always there as mere guests. Often we would be assigned to ride Brontos to tank turrets and other menial tasks while the same noob that had just lost one wyvern would go and grab another one and once again fly it into turrets. We had to sit and watch shacking our heads as they fumbled from one raid to the next.

There was no tact, strategy or diplomacy to be had with this tribe, it was just pure numbers and brute force.Thirty of us would join the server and instantly brag in chat about that we coming for them ruining any chance of surprise that might have otherwise been had. They would big talk ourselves up in chat about how good they were while they went around crushing little tribes often numbering less then 5 players with a couple turrets and small base.

When they finally came up against a tribe that was experienced in war their methods largely fell flat. On one particular raid that I can recall there was at least 30 of us fighting a smaller tribe of around 10 players in a small but well designed base situated on the coast. This group of 10 despite being outnumbered 3:1 and lacking many of the dinos we had kept us at bay for a good 10 hours. We managed to break through their outer perimeter and despite having 2 gigas left (2 out of the original 4 had died in the initial attempts to get in) and Brontos we never succeeded in going any further.

However time was on our side and as the hours went by into the early morning slowly this other tribe began to dwindle in numbers until there was just one player on. At 4am local time we went in at long last 13 players vs one. We finally breeched their turret wall and smashed into their main base area and with that our leader, who could never keep his big mouth shut began to brag in chat once again. The last laugh though would go to the enemy though for while we were busy bragging he had busied himself by dumping all the good BPs from the vaults that he could. After 10 hours and much expense we ended up hauling out 1500 turret bullets and a bunch of worthless BP's and not much else.  

The ironic thing though was that the rear of their base facing the water had actually a very limited amount of turrets. My buddy had managed to get into their rear area via swimming into their water pen and had noticed that the front had 5x the turrets on the land side then what was covering the back. We had suggested on several occasions during the battle that we should explore attacking the rear but with everyone constantly talking at once and our mighty leader dead set on going through the front our advice went unheeded. 

Following this debacle and other similar ones it became clear to us that the whole tribe despite being on a PVP server seemed to be nothing more then a large collection of inexperienced PVE players playing on PVP servers who had flocked together. After these costly adventures in the first few weeks the words PVP or raiding rarely if ever came up on Discord again and we soon learned why. Our tribe had since joined an alliance with several other mega tribes. The end result was that there was around 150 servers that we directly or indirectly controlled in which raiding or fighting was strictly not allowed as everyone was allies of an ally. Furthermore PVP against equal size tribes such as another mega tribe not in the alliance was definitely out of the equation since that would surely mean risk losing their hard earned work for blueprints and gear they already likely had in huge numbers.

So what this meant was there 5 dedicated PVP players stuck in a large tribe that really didn't want to do any kind of PVP at all. From there on in being in this mega tribe became nothing but a daily chore.

In this particular tribe they were hell bent on farming the end game bosses every day so they could add more expensive TEK stuff to their base. This meant everyone had to farm for hours on end for thousands of metal arrows which would be used shooting at the bosses. As a PVP player this didn't interest me in the slightest so I promptly would D/C my net after 5 minutes of pretend farming, swap steam accounts and go and raid with my buddies on another server with stuff we had farmed earlier and tucked away for ourselves.
To add to this every member in this tribe insisted on using ascendant quality items for everything while doing mundane tasks like farming. Everyone had an ascendant rifle, wore ascendant flak and carried ascendant whips and so forth that they would carry around on their body. If you lost something no problem you would just go to the vault and grab a new one like nothing had ever happened. The problem was players would randomly die to dinos and lose their stuff quite regularly and so these weapon and item vaults were constantly having to be restocked which meant more pointless farming. As a result we were always running low on stuff that we shouldn't have been because players were wasting so much resources on stupid things. Now coming from a small tribe where using anything more then journeyman was generally considered too expensive/too grindy to risk losing and where these expensive items were kept in a vault until they were needed it was quite frustrating to see this occurring.

Another issue with the same tribe was base building and upkeep. We had a huge base a massive complex so big that you had to run the game on ultra low even on a high spec machine just to try and mitigate the lag. As a result of this it was actually very unpleasant to be anywhere near that base let alone in it. We avoided it like the plague and ended up mostly using a little 4x4x4 metal base on the other side of the map that had everything we needed. Even though this base was server breaking big these guys insisted on continuing to make it larger - more buildings, more floors, more turrets, more crap we just didn't really need.

Then was the dinos stored there. Oh boy that was an experience and a half in food management. The tribe we were in loved to breed and not just one or two dinos they would breed like mad often 30 dinos or more at once. Once they were done breeding most of these dinos would be added to the "warehouse". This was a giant rectangular box easily 200 foundations long and 100 wide and 20 high. All it had inside was dinos and by that I mean a massive amount of dinos. If you went in there with name tags still showing your comp would come to a halt. There was at least 50 brontos, 10 gigas, 30-40 wyverns, 30+ Rexes, 30+ turtles, 10 Paracers and then you had all the other  dinos - therizinos, wolves, bears, scorpions,  beavers and so forth. 

The food upkeep was enormous and everyday at least 10 dinos of all kinds would randomly starve to death. The problem would not have been so bad if they actually used these dinos and battle attrition might have reduced their numbers but the reality was these dinos never ever left the base. The majority of them were quasi personally owned and you weren't allowed to ride them or someone would chuck a fit. Such dinos weren't even allowed to be used on raids, they were more like someone's highly valued stamp collection. What made me and my buddies who joined this tribe quite mad was that everyone was expected to partake in feeding this utterly pointless mass of dinos even though we never used any of themselves nor particularly cared if they starved or not. You would hop on a Giga go for a 10 minute meat run, returning with 300 full slots of meat and put it in the feeding troughs and it would almost instantly vanish.

After 2 months of this we decided enough was enough and one night we left taking with us our fair share of loot and returned to a simpler life. Sure we no longer had vaults full of unused ascendant BP's gathering dust or hundreds of dinos laying around but we felt much more content. We realised that we didn't need all the gizmos and fancy stuff to have fun in ARK. We were now much poorer but we liked it that way.

On reflection looking back I have come to the conclusion that this mega tribe that we had joined was an illusion of power - they did not really hold any power the dictations of their game did. Sure they had all the dinos and all the gear and items, their enormous base and their huge flock of players but they also had baggage. A lot of baggage. The more pointless buildings and bases they erected, the more turrets they needed, the more ammo they had to farm. The more dinos they breed the more troughs they needed and the more food they to produce.  The more they slaved away building their empire of their dreams the more their empire consumed them.

Perhaps it started with noble intentions a bunch of new players joining together to fight their oppressors but they soon became oppressed through their own making. With time and each day passing as their empire grew the more they become trapped. Slaves to a virtual reality feverishly toiling away for a cause and goal they could not hope to describe yet dared not give up.

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

On reflection looking back I have come to the conclusion that this mega tribe that we had joined was an illusion of power - they did not really hold any power the dictations of their game did. Sure they had all the dinos and all the gear and items, their enormous base and their huge flock of players but they also had baggage. A lot of baggage. The more pointless buildings and bases they erected, the more turrets they needed, the more ammo they had to farm. The more dinos they breed the more troughs they needed and the more food they to produce.  The more they slaved away building their empire of their dreams the more their empire consumed them.

Heh.  Sounds like a fairly accurate depiction of materialism in real life!

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:
they did not really hold any power the dictations of their game did. Sure they had all the dinos and all the gear and items, their enormous base and their huge flock of players but they also had baggage. A lot of baggage. The more pointless buildings and bases they erected, the more turrets they needed, the more ammo they had to farm. The more dinos they breed the more troughs they needed and the more food they to produce.  The more they slaved away building their empire of their dreams the more their empire consumed them.

This is why the guy that everybody calls a troll is actually having the most fun in this game.

It is also the reason why I've come to hate PvP in this game.

It's just a hive where everybody loses. It turns into work, game of thrones politics, and fun goes right the hell out the window.

I would only ever play with a few friends, no friends of friends either, but I don't think it's possible anymore.

18 minutes ago, waterKeeper said:

This is why the guy that everybody calls a troll is actually having the most fun in this game.

It is also the reason why I've come to hate PvP in this game.

It's just a hive where everybody loses. It turns into work, game of thrones politics, and fun goes right the hell out the window.

I would only ever play with a few friends, no friends of friends either, but I don't think it's possible anymore.

One important thing I have learned from playing over 3000 hours in ARK is that the more you put into this game, the more you stand to lose. I think this is why these mega tribes are and act the way they do. They are trapped in this vicious cycle. If they aren't online they risk another tribe coming along and wiping out all their stuff which they have spent many months or years making. So they must be online and making their base stronger and stronger but of course by doing this they are adding more logs to the fire. The more their tribe expands the more they feel a responsibility and an attachment to protect it. The game for many then becomes a full time job void of fun and enjoyment. Just another daily chore.

32 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

One important thing I have learned from playing over 3000 hours in ARK is that the more you put into this game, the more you stand to lose. I think this is why these mega tribes are and act the way they do. They are trapped in this vicious cycle. If they aren't online they risk another tribe coming along and wiping out all their stuff which they have spent many months or years making. So they must be online and making their base stronger and stronger but of course by doing this they are adding more logs to the fire. The more their tribe expands the more they feel a responsibility and an attachment to protect it. The game for many then becomes a full time job void of fun and enjoyment. Just another daily chore.

I am pure PVE and always play as a 1 man tribe on officials.  I really enjoy the game, and helping others learn the ins and out of the game.  I try to set a "helpful" example and try to encourage others to do the same, but at the same time don't pander to beggars and mooches.  Over time I have seen great communities grow in what were originally very toxic servers.  Unfortunately after I grow to a certain point it becomes work to keep your important stuff, not play.  That is when I merge into another good tribe and walk away, start a new toon on another server and start over from lvl 1 with nothing.  What I find interesting is that with 3000 hours played on 5 different PVE servers, all 5 of those servers survived to Legacy status.  Need to keep things interesting, and play to your own style, simple as that.

In my opinion Megatribes became a cancer in the game designed to push the idea initially of server wipes.  People began forming their own megatribes in response to the groups threatening server wipes as a result.  It has all been downhill since then as huge groups flood servers and lag ensues.  All the drama and politics has been a bit interesting I suppose, but I believe that players like you Kishko, EXFIBO, and others who are true pvp players are the cure.  

Pvp is a blast in this game on a smaller scale and with smart strategies (especially when you are a small group fighting greater numbers then yourselves), and so I hope that more players like you rise up on the PvP servers and fight back.  

9 hours ago, Chewytowel said:

In my opinion Megatribes became a cancer in the game designed to push the idea initially of server wipes.  People began forming their own megatribes in response to the groups threatening server wipes as a result.  It has all been downhill since then as huge groups flood servers and lag ensues.  All the drama and politics has been a bit interesting I suppose, but I believe that players like you Kishko, EXFIBO, and others who are true pvp players are the cure.  

Pvp is a blast in this game on a smaller scale and with smart strategies (especially when you are a small group fighting greater numbers then yourselves), and so I hope that more players like you rise up on the PvP servers and fight back.  

I agree with your point, but Kishko and those guys have a stupid play style. As Forza said, his small tribe had farming dinos and a base and stuff stored away, whereas Kishko's entire playing experience is summed up by "make a stone 1x1, tame a pteranodon, screw around and probably make someone mad without bothering to be discrete, get wiped". Obviously he enjoys the small scale PVP, but so much time is wasted rebuilding once or twice a week, when they could actually get established and be careful while raiding and they'd get to keep their progress. 

1 hour ago, Harrist14 said:

I agree with your point, but Kishko and those guys have a stupid play style. As Forza said, his small tribe had farming dinos and a base and stuff stored away, whereas Kishko's entire playing experience is summed up by "make a stone 1x1, tame a pteranodon, screw around and probably make someone mad without bothering to be discrete, get wiped". Obviously he enjoys the small scale PVP, but so much time is wasted rebuilding once or twice a week, when they could actually get established and be careful while raiding and they'd get to keep their progress. 

Yeah he attributed a lot of his losses with stream sniping in a post on reddit (perhaps true as I could imagine a lot of angry players watching and retaliating).  We did encourage him to build a base, which he did and it ended up getting raided anyway.  It had turrets and was growing plant turrets and in a pretty decent hidden location.  Think someone on a Thylacoleo tanked the turrets and then they moved in and finished the base off.  But yeah his methods are a give no f's approach to where they simply go raid a base for more things to raid with, and it ends up being a never ending cycle.  He also hated offline raiding and wanted the targets to be online which, unless using random alts, makes being discreet hard right?  Some of us wanted to help with the farming but he wouldn't have it, regardless though he at least liked pvp and saw the fun you can have with it on a smaller scale.

11 hours ago, Chewytowel said:

I agree this game was a lot more fun in late 2015 when large tribes were relatively rare. There was a lot more PVP on servers those days even really small tribes of just 2 or 3 players would have a crack at it. Now a days most servers are very passive which is rather boring.

Just now, ForzaProiettile said:

I agree this game was a lot more fun in late 2015 when large tribes were relatively rare. There was a lot more PVP on servers those days even really small tribes of just 2 or 3 players would have a crack at it. Now a days most servers are very passive which is rather boring.

Yeah the passiveness needs to change.  I believe conflict is what makes the game far more interesting for the long term.  The only issue is that even before mega tribes became a thing, and transfers opened up, would be a large tribe locking down a server and wiping out any potential threat posed to them.  But at least even then you could perhaps still have some interesting fights.  As the game continues to evolve players like you have to also evolve to the current changes with any new meta that will counter the current trend.  

You already have an idea of their weaknesses so your probably off to a good start.  If more players see people like you succeeding they may just drop the bigger tribes and join in, which could be a wonderful thing.  The only other problem is the under meshing, duping, and other lame stuff.

I can't really comment much on Kishko's playstyle since I haven't really seen many of his videos but it seems he adopted an approach somewhat similar to us but with some differences.

Like Kishko's our play style was to be extremely aggressive to anyone and anything. We gave no quarter and expected none. If the opportunity was right we would strike. We were often called "griefers and trolls" by the sheltered passive players in the larger tribes for merely doing PVP and killing their players and dinos and those of their allies. 
That said and this is where we differed we both took great advantage of politics and diplomacy to benefit us and we also had access to alt accounts. Basically our tribe was not one tribe but two, split down the middle into two entirely separated seemingly unconnected entities.

The first half of this duo was a nice passive PVE styled tribe with a friendly name that happened to play on a fairly low pop PVP server. We were pretty much acted like the carebears of the server, always very friendly to everyone and often giving away small trinkets and BPs we didn't need. The alpha tribe on this server was a large Chinese tribe mega tribe called CG who at first looked like they would wipe us out as we not Chinese. After we generously gave them many ascendant BPs which we had no intention of ever using (Ascendant Bronto Platform BPs costing 10,000 ingots and the like) they warmed to us and we formed a sort of odd bond. Over time we became their "foreign friends" as they called us.
CG's only rule for us was that we were not allowed to fight on that server as it was their farming and breeding server. They wanted us to server as lookouts, translate for them and in the event of an invasion help them fight it off. They never once asked where we got our loot from and we never told them. They were just happy with their constant supply of high end BP's and expensive toys. That server also became our farming server, we deliberately avoided doing anything to hurt anyone on there. Our base was a combat medium sized with enough room to keep all dinos safely locked away and plenty of vaults to store our loot.

As for the second half of our "tribe" it was basically an ultra aggressive raiding tribe. I won't go into too many details just yet since I will cover it in another massive post on tactics and the like but basically we all had a second steam account which we used to do PVP. This tribe and these accounts had no link back to our farmers thereby eliminating any kind of fall-back should things go wrong and evidently sometimes they would. As part of this separation we also did our best to refrain from using dinos for our raids. Most bases even with auto turrets we were able to penetrated through poor base design and the right character stats. We had a specific character with very high movement speed that would basically run and jump at the turrets until he was basically at the wall below them. Once he was safe he would blow in a wall and that would be that. Interior turrets were fairly uncommon and not particularly to deal with given the right blind spot.

The majority of  our raiding and PVP took place online as we enjoyed the thrill of it. We didn't necessarily raid for loot, more for just the sake of it. There was nothing quite as fun as seeing the whole server unite in global chat against you and form hunting parties to try and find you. It's a fantastic adrenalin rush. I can recall on one particular case an enemy Giga ran right past me as I lay prone in a bush then the rider hoped off began voice chatting with a few players from the tribe that we had just hit.

On another occasion  one of us got trapped on a cliff down the south on the Island with a Rex quickly closing in. Outnumbered with players from two tribes including a Rex and a Pteradon he vaulted off the cliff and into the water. The players on foot jumped in after him and in the confusion they managed to club each other out while he swam off. 
On another occasion we hit a base and that tribe began to sing in global chat that we there and that he needed help. The overly confident alpha tribe replied in chat along the lines of "we'll kill them for you" then raced over to help. As far as they knew it was just 3 guys on foot. Surely not match for a wyvern and a Rex. We patiently lurked in the nearby trees as the wyven made a few passes over the base to see if the coast was clear. He then landed and got off to talk with the other tribe. As he did this all three of us aimed at his head and on the count of 3 (We were all on Teamspeak) we fired killing him instantly. We then began to pike the wyvern to death. No sooner had it died then the rider on the Rex showed up and the wyvern rider returned with a Pteradon this time as well as two of his buddies ridding on a battle Quetz with miniguns. Realizing that the odds were now firmly against us we simply melted away but not before claiming one last scalp. The Pteradon rider fresh with rage from losing his dragon had managed to sight us in the trees and began barrel rolling us. Unfortunately for him one of our bolas connected which even I'll admit was a fluke shot and he promptly lost the bird and his gear.

So as can be seen with the right mindset and good coordination you can achieve even with few numbers and limited resources. The trick is playing your cards right and using diplomacy. PVP in this game is more then just slashing you also have to outsmart the enemy.

6 hours ago, Chewytowel said:

Yeah the passiveness needs to change.  I believe conflict is what makes the game far more interesting for the long term.  The only issue is that even before mega tribes became a thing, and transfers opened up, would be a large tribe locking down a server and wiping out any potential threat posed to them.  But at least even then you could perhaps still have some interesting fights.  As the game continues to evolve players like you have to also evolve to the current changes with any new meta that will counter the current trend.  

You already have an idea of their weaknesses so your probably off to a good start.  If more players see people like you succeeding they may just drop the bigger tribes and join in, which could be a wonderful thing.  The only other problem is the under meshing, duping, and other lame stuff.

Yep alpha before transfers were a major problem and it is true that many of the servers become entirely passive because they had an untouchable 20+ member alpha tribe controlling it. For this I think transfers are a good thing I just wish WC would actually play their own game and realise capping tribes at 70 members is in no way a viable solution. If you ask me the cap should be no more then 10 and no alliances.

4 hours ago, jaypak said:

A like the op, sounds a lot like me and a left 3 tribes because of the same stuff... the last tribe a left a took all there gear, thousands of rounds, turrets, dinos and went solo... lived solo with good gear for like 2 months with no issues and my base location is practically unfindable... good post bro

You also found life in a large tribe to be tedious, mundane and boring? I'm sure there is a lot of players currently in said tribes who must surely be bored out of their minds. I don't see the point in playing when a game becomes a full time job. There is no fun in that.

ide love to play pvp but its people like that that I wouldn't do it ,its a waste of time, I could spend a day farming take a brake and everything would be gone . as fun as raiding and the strategy behind raids on official pvp sounds ill be happy making a cease fire and having a tribe member plant c4 while I watch while look for the enemy on player dedis.

4 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

You also found life in a large tribe to be tedious, mundane and boring? I'm sure there is a lot of players currently in said tribes who must surely be bored out of their minds. I don't see the point in playing when a game becomes a full time job. There is no fun in that.

I am in a mega tribe and it is very boring. But sadly I always seem to come back to assist in bringing my tribe to glory.

On ‎6‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, Boubbin said:

Excellent post, this is what I imagined mega tribe to be..

Before I joined one I had the opposite view. I imagined we'd be raiding and doing constant PVP in big battles and the like but it turned out to be very different. It felt very safe being in this big tribe, almost like I was playing on some kind of PVE server but at the same time there was no fun or excitement. You just toiled away for stuff you didn't give a damn about.

Tbh this is how it is in ark, once you get metal base and u get all the times you needs, this is the view you get, chores farming endless cycles of consuming and being consumed.

this is why ark in the beginning is fun, until you realize all the chores needed please THE LAGG INSANE A HUGE base WITH dinos = 4 fps..why even bother.

dont like that you are a raider sins 2015.. wonder how many dreams you guys crushed. 

Archived