I take Issue with the price of the Season Pass

TheMetalMan

I bought Scorched Earth just a few weeks ago and since the announcement of the Season Pass, I feel a bit cheated.

I purchased the DLC in good faith that I'd give Wildcard additional funds just before the launch.

To better explain how I feel, I've assembled a metaphor:

Imagine you purchase a book, it's an ok book, you enjoy it, then you find out they'll be more books in the series. Better yet there's a subscription for the full series to mailed right to your doorstep. So you ask the nice salesman, "Since I already own the first book, if I pay for the subscription, will I get a second version of the book to say, give to a friend?" and so the salesman says: "No, all you who bought the first book, shall go and F*** themselves, you pay the full price but you don't get another version of the book. Because screw you!"

It feels incredibly dirty and underhanded. Not to mention the fact that there's a DLC for a game still in Beta, but to release a season pass after that doesn't account for people already owning the first DLC, it just plain money-grabbing.

I recall when Klei, makers of Don't Starve was Launching their multiplayer game; Don't Starve Together. They offered a bundle to buy two versions of both games, and the price was reduced if you already owned the game.

I don't know, It feel like the community deserves some sort of reward for bug-testing and buying the game before launch. And this is the thanks they get? Feel very ungrateful.

What do you guys think? Is the Devs being ungrateful and Cheap? Or what?

What I think myself on this is the expansion which is called season pass is not really more expensive then any other expansion of other games. Why does it feel that way it's because the game just officially release and there is already an expansion one month away. Usually there is at least 6 months or even a year before the expansion comes out. So being so close together I think that is why it feels expensive.

You bought SE a few weeks ago? They announced a while ago that there was going to be a season pass. That should have raised flags to not purchase any DLC. There are always the options to purchase separate components to DLC passes as some people are selective. In this example pretend you are not interested in Aberration and the 2018 expansion. You then just saved yourself money by buying what you wanted.

It is not a "dirty" move on their part, given that SE is a year old.

2 minutes ago, Danouk said:

What I think myself on this is the expansion which is called season pass is not really more expensive then any other expansion of other games. Why does it feel that way it's because the game just officially release and there is already an expansion one month away. Usually there is at least 6 months or even a year before the expansion comes out. So being so close together I think that is why it feels expensive.

Season passes always come out before the actual DLC's, for a game in Beta, it's understandable the season pass appear on the game's release, however if you can buy a DLC before you can buy the season pass, you need to take that into account when you release the season pass. Because when people buy the game now, they can decide between buying DLC or Season Pass, while the loyal fans, who bought the DLC while still in Beta, did not have that option, if you've spent money on the DLC, you have no choice but to spend the same money as a new buyer if you want a season pass.

My main issue with this is the lack of compensation for giving a beta game a chance.

4 minutes ago, PaleoJoe said:

You bought SE a few weeks ago? They announced a while ago that there was going to be a season pass. That should have raised flags to not purchase any DLC. There are always the options to purchase separate components to DLC passes as some people are selective. In this example pretend you are not interested in Aberration and the 2018 expansion. You then just saved yourself money by buying what you wanted.

It is not a "dirty" move on their part, given that SE is a year old.

My point still stands for people that bought the DLC upon release.

Just now, TheMetalMan said:

My point still stands for people that bought the DLC upon release.

New players you mean? When they go and purchase the game, either through the online store or a physical copy, they can see that there is a season pass (on the game page or the option to buy the explorer's edition). This is where my post comes in: do you want everything for a larger price, or select what you want for a total of a few bucks more?

BTW, the only bonus for doing the expansion pass is for some exclusive skins. You can spawn them in on non-official servers, so the only purpose to buying it is to save a few bucks and show off a skin you will never use on official servers.

If you take the price you paid for the EA and add it to the price of the season pass it comes up about the same price as the base game for the new players but them they need to dish out another 45 if they want the season pass. That makes 111 for them and about 68 for us. So in a way we did get this season pass for free if you it that way. 

• Volunteer Moderator
32 minutes ago, TheMetalMan said:

I bought Scorched Earth just a few weeks ago and since the announcement of the Season Pass, I feel a bit cheated.

I purchased the DLC in good faith that I'd give Wildcard additional funds just before the launch.

To better explain how I feel, I've assembled a metaphor:

Imagine you purchase a book, it's an ok book, you enjoy it, then you find out they'll be more books in the series. Better yet there's a subscription for the full series to mailed right to your doorstep. So you ask the nice salesman, "Since I already own the first book, if I pay for the subscription, will I get a second version of the book to say, give to a friend?" and so the salesman says: "No, all you who bought the first book, shall go and F*** themselves, you pay the full price but you don't get another version of the book. Because screw you!"

It feels incredibly dirty and underhanded. Not to mention the fact that there's a DLC for a game still in Beta, but to release a season pass after that doesn't account for people already owning the first DLC, it just plain money-grabbing.

I recall when Klei, makers of Don't Starve was Launching their multiplayer game; Don't Starve Together. They offered a bundle to buy two versions of both games, and the price was reduced if you already owned the game.

I don't know, It feel like the community deserves some sort of reward for bug-testing and buying the game before launch. And this is the thanks they get? Feel very ungrateful.

What do you guys think? Is the Devs being ungrateful and Cheap? Or what?

You don't "get a second version of the book to give to a friend" because your book has already been discounted from the subscription. That is why if you go to the steam page you will see that the season pass has 33% docked off of it (scorched earth is 1/3 of the planned DLC that the season pass covers).

Just now, ciabattaroll said:

You don't "get a second version of the book to give to a friend" because your book has already been discounted from the subscription. That is why if you go to the steam page you will see that the season pass has 33% docked off of it (scorched earth is 1/3 of the planned DLC that the season pass covers).

You know I am starting to think you're right, I assumed the price reduction was for everyone.

But I've checked with a few friends and it appears the price DOES in fact Differ from person to person.

This is the last time I listen to that click-bait channel ThickFreedom.

Sorry for wasting your time.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, TheMetalMan said:

You know I am starting to think you're right, I assumed the price reduction was for everyone.

But I've checked with a few friends and it appears the price DOES in fact Differ from person to person.

This is the last time I listen to that click-bait channel ThickFreedom.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Well, he's not wholly wrong. Steam had some issues, most likely with purchase identification, and for a while listed the season pass as 33% off for everyone regardless of whether or not they owned scorched earth. Now I say listed because I do not know if anyone that did not own scorched earth did manage to buy the pass at the reduced price. Either way, it has since been corrected to only apply to owners of scorched earth.

2 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Well, he's not wholly wrong. Steam had some issues, most likely with purchase identification, and for a while listed the season pass as 33% off for everyone regardless of whether or not they owned scorched earth. Now I say listed because I do not know if anyone that did not own scorched earth did manage to buy the pass at the reduced price. Either way, it has since been corrected to only apply to owners of scorched earth.

To be fair they're still a click-bait channel

Archived