Ark: Aberration - Master Thread

Snapshot

29 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

...I have no idea what you're smoking but if you think Dragonpunk looked superior to Aberration it must be severely damaging your eyesight. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard any community member say since launch day.

If that's the most ridiculous thing you've heard a player say since launch then I don't recommend reading many threads. Some posts might make your brain melt. :D I think someone compared the end of customer support on the veteran servers to the holocaust.

I also think you may be smoking wrong if eye damage is a possibility.

Anyhoo, it certainly did look better. I've also been seeing a lot more demand for it than Aberration on Youtube and Twitter. I really dislike having to use Twitter but that's where the devs are.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, from a content standpoint they're killing it. They have plenty of content. I just need to be able to keep my fps in the 20's. Im not asking for much here. I can even accept the sub-HD resolution on console. Im surprised its even on consoles. I wish theyd take like 6 months and just spend all their time and effort on optimization of all aspects of this game. Every version, the network, the controls. 

We need quality now. You have content already. I don't want to get to a point where we have 3 main maps and 6 DLCs but the game still runs between 8-25 FPS with full freezes sporadically. I realize that the DLCs pay for the work done by the guys fixing bugs/optimizing.So do it if you must but use that money to get them more help. Get them some interns, buy them coffee, give them whatever they need. Their work should be priority. 

1 hour ago, Vrallox said:

If that's the most ridiculous thing you've heard a player say since launch then I don't recommend reading many threads. Some posts might make your brain melt. :D I think someone compared the end of customer support on the veteran servers to the holocaust.

I also think you may be smoking wrong if eye damage is a possibility.

Anyhoo, it certainly did look better. I've also been seeing a lot more demand for it than Aberration on Youtube and Twitter. I really dislike having to use Twitter but that's where the devs are.

Well if we go by "likes" which I'll admit is a bit silly, the reveal for Aberration has about three times the popularity of Dragonpunk. I mean, I'm not gonna crusade against it, but it's nothing more than a mediocre mod made by game industry wannabes. You can practically smell the desperation. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I'm kind of the same way. xD 

But I'm not going to pretend my skills are up to par either. Dragonpunk looks like a mishmash full of re-textures and 2002 quality baddies. Heck, the entire trailer was just them panning the camera around looking at things.

Aberration on the other hand looks extremely professional (because it is), adds enormous amounts of content and playability, dozens of new mechanics from the looks of it, and continues the story in a new and exciting way that nobody was expecting... Those are the marks of quality.

1 hour ago, jlogan2042 said:

Ok, from a content standpoint they're killing it. They have plenty of content. I just need to be able to keep my fps in the 20's. Im not asking for much here. I can even accept the sub-HD resolution on console. Im surprised its even on consoles. I wish theyd take like 6 months and just spend all their time and effort on optimization of all aspects of this game. Every version, the network, the controls. 

We need quality now. You have content already. I don't want to get to a point where we have 3 main maps and 6 DLCs but the game still runs between 8-25 FPS with full freezes sporadically. I realize that the DLCs pay for the work done by the guys fixing bugs/optimizing.So do it if you must but use that money to get them more help. Get them some interns, buy them coffee, give them whatever they need. Their work should be priority. 

This is on Xbox One?

38 minutes ago, jlogan2042 said:

Yes killing the game quantity over quality was never the way to go especially in games. i dont care for quantity when the quality is not even mediocre.

25 minutes ago, bobishs said:

Yes killing the game quantity over quality was never the way to go especially in games. i dont care for quantity when the quality is not even mediocre.

Technically it is very high quality and that is why people get poor performance.

The fact is they have done a lot of optimization, I mean a ton. What is holding this game back at this point is the hardware available to consumers, not poor design on the part of Wildcard. No one seems to see that. They still think that the issue is it being unoptimized and WC being lazy and indifferent. Once upon a time optimization was an issue. No more.

Evidence of this is readily available. XBOX One X for example can run the game at 60 FPS settings equivalent to PC High. God tier PCs run this game like greased lightning. 

Hardware is the problem now, and we live in an economic climate where the average gamer cannot afford God-tier hardware. Thus they take their frustrations out on the game creators. A fruitless endeavor if ever there was one.

1 hour ago, CyanicEmber said:

Well if we go by "likes" which I'll admit is a bit silly, the reveal for Aberration has about three times the popularity of Dragonpunk. I mean, I'm not gonna crusade against it, but it's nothing more than a mediocre mod made by game industry wannabes. You can practically smell the desperation. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I'm kind of the same way. xD 

I agree. Going by likes is silly. Fortunately I was going by the comments. You should try it instead of going by likes. On the Aberration page the comments are pretty much "Me like video," people talking about things other then the video, people complaining, people arguing, wisecracks, and some praise.

The Dragonpunk page was pretty much all praise. Lots of demand to have it put on consoles too.

1 hour ago, CyanicEmber said:

But I'm not going to pretend my skills are up to par either. Dragonpunk looks like a mishmash full of re-textures and 2002 quality baddies. Heck, the entire trailer was just them panning the camera around looking at things.

As opposed to walking around and looking at things? Lots of panning too. And gliding and panning! And as mentioned on the page for the mod they'll be upgrading the textures of the animals. Those were basically placeholders.

2 hours ago, CyanicEmber said:

Aberration on the other hand looks extremely professional (because it is), adds enormous amounts of content and playability, dozens of new mechanics from the looks of it, and continues the story in a new and exciting way that nobody was expecting... Those are the marks of quality.

I bet it didn't look as good long before it was this close to release. The other team has over a year to go on their project so it'd be quite silly to compare them in that regard.

The content being: wingsuits (gliding like with an archa but FASTER), ziplines (which became big a few years ago and then died out due to lack of interest), a chameleon that glides and attaches to walls and celings (so a megalania that cloaks and glides), rope ladders, hooks that let you climb things like a dropcat or megalania, a lightning gun (those things were fun in all those FPS games), big molerats that light up, and finally what appears to be a reskinned rex that can bury itself.

Oh yes, and the angler fish with legs.

So in other words, a lot of content that we already have but presented in a different way.

I'd say the ones working on Aberration are wannabes as well since Dragonpunk appears to me to be more professional. Lots of reused content and a number of reskins in Aberration.

I don't think we're going to find a middle ground here. Both videos can be taken apart pretty easily and we seem to have diametrically opposed opinions. Hows about we either say they both suck or they're both great just for fun?

2 hours ago, bobishs said:

watch for yourself.

OMG.. PS4 and XBOX1 versions look awful compared to PC :(

PC version used to look better than now though. After 'optimisations' they did last month or two they game looks worse (very noticeable with textures seen from the distance). I suppose it had to be done to improve performance, but I cannot say I see any improvement in performance.

Wildcards latest announcement of the new DLC aberration is baffling to say the least.  It just shows how completely mismanaged this company is.  I mean you just realesed and your current product is rediculously flawed still, the list of bugs and glitches is lengthy.  The new map ragnarock is basically unplayable everyone I have talked to ghosts constantly into the terrain getting stuck and making almost impossible to get anywhere.  There are currently only 30 servers even available to play, they take down almost 300 and give us 30 back.  Good luck even getting into one of these servers as the waits are hours long.  And now they announce a new DLC?!   Stuff like that just ticks a lot of us off, I mean a good announcement would have been we are rolling out new servers, or we are fixing the long list of crap that's wrong with the game but know it's new content, WHO CARES!  When you can barley play the content you currently have.  Hopefully wildcard gets their heads on straight soon or gets bought buy a company who can properly mange this game.   

Dlc is to make money for new servers,  do you think anyone actually brought the game on release?  Them hard copy cds are going to end up in the bargain bin everyone who plays already owned it, try find a new player on a new server lol even if some one did buy it new they would have refunded because they can't get on a server. This dlc is the actual release where Wildcard get paid.

Everyone needs them op dinos and raiding tools.

1 minute ago, SmokeyB said:

Dlc is to make money for new servers,  do you think anyone actually brought the game on release?  Them hard copy cds are going to end up in the bargain bin everyone who plays already owned it, try find a new player on a new server lol even if some one did buy it new they would have refunded because they can't get on a server. This dlc is the actual release where Wildcard get paid.

Everyone needs them op dinos and raiding tools.

Didnt they get tens of millions of dollars from early access purchases? You wouldnt say thats enough to fund them?

One point in the OP that I would like to expand on, if you have issues with ghosting into the terrain on the Ragnarok map please report them to the Ragnarok development team here:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/forum/20526-bug-reports/

They have their own dedicated section of the forums.  

It's very helpful to them if you can include a screenshot showing the area where you found the terrain flaw so that they can easily find it and speeds up the repair process considerably.

The one area that I personally found (where small creatures could find a way under the terrain) was fixed in their first pass after the map was released, but as the map is still being developed and expanded more issues of this type will likely occur and they would like to address them as quickly as possible.

On a personal note, I've been playing on Ragnarok since it was released, and that one flaw in the mesh was all that I have encountered in all my travels exploring it.  That being said, Ragnarok is a huge map with a vast amount of rugged terrain... so consider that to be anecdotal.  

5 hours ago, CyanicEmber said:

What is holding this game back at this point is the hardware available to consumers, not poor design on the part of Wildcard.

Exactly. What a lot of gamers don't realize, is that it is smarter to make their games future proof by having it designed for future hardware. The game doesn't run at 60fps on your mid-tier hardware? Good!

dont care wont buy. 

I mean i saw the trailer. Maybe its because am old but when i saw the trailer it made me remember of the 10 min sandstorm the generator that constantly take damage. Stuff that dont need to be in game but its there just so you are a little bit more annoy about the map. 

I would buy the AI DLC if a DeV wanna work on that he as my full support. 

On 9/1/2017 at 1:00 PM, Grandta said:

Two DLC's before the game even shipped. That time should've been used to fix the game.

Agreed. They took the time to build a DLC (SE) in EARLY ACCESS.... when they should've finished up their base game. The game's release hasn't been a full week and they are already pushing ANOTHER DLC.... is this why the original release date (Aug 7?) was pushed back? This is silly. I understand this is a business. However, we all are paying for a good/service that sold MILLIONS of copies and we have a TOTAL OF 11 PVE servers for PC.... not acceptable. I know they mentioned that they had issues with releasing servers. Seems to not be the case with console.... Idk... WC seems to always have excuses.... can't even put up a live stream on time... 45+ minutes late..

3 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

One point in the OP that I would like to expand on, if you have issues with ghosting into the terrain on the Ragnarok map please report them to the Ragnarok development team here:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/forum/20526-bug-reports/

They have their own dedicated section of the forums.  

It's very helpful to them if you can include a screenshot showing the area where you found the terrain flaw so that they can easily find it and speeds up the repair process considerably.

The one area that I personally found (where small creatures could find a way under the terrain) was fixed in their first pass after the map was released, but as the map is still being developed and expanded more issues of this type will likely occur and they would like to address them as quickly as possible.

On a personal note, I've been playing on Ragnarok since it was released, and that one flaw in the mesh was all that I have encountered in all my travels exploring it.  That being said, Ragnarok is a huge map with a vast amount of rugged terrain... so consider that to be anecdotal.  

They got a discord too. Best devs, they seem nice and respectful. 

1 hour ago, Carcajou said:

dont care wont buy. 

I mean i saw the trailer. Maybe its because am old but when i saw the trailer it made me remember of the 10 min sandstorm the generator that constantly take damage. Stuff that dont need to be in game but its there just so you are a little bit more annoy about the map. 

I would buy the AI DLC if a DeV wanna work on that he as my full support. 

In case of abberation I watched twitch stream with TheRightHand and he said abberation would have environmental hazzards, but you would be able to fight them, reduce or deny their effects.  They admitted SE hazzards are crappy, because you cannot do anything against them and you are forced to sit doing nothing. They want to avoid that in next dlc.

With the announcement I started to wonder how much new dlc affects the main game development. We still have a lot of half finished gameplay mechanics that must be improved and I have a feeling they will be neglected again, because mejority of man power would be moved to work on dlc.

Archived