Ark: Aberration - Master Thread

Snapshot

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

exactly why bother buying it then?

Well I guess you don't have to if you don't want to.

But short of using admin commands to spawn everything, you wont get the map and the equipment you could spawn probably won't work correctly or be redundant on other arks. (IE using a pug or a glowstick on an already well lit ark or something.)

1 minute ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Here is the problem, half these servers will be abandoned in like 3months time. So does WC release more servers that will be abandoned and do another "Great migration fiasco" or suffer because no one can play. Not defending. 

Which is why Unofficials imho are so invaluable, the hosters that WANT to dedicate the time, energy and money will last and build a community, while those that don't, won't and fade into obscurity.

Just now, agentexeider said:

Which is why Unofficials imho are so invaluable, the hosters that WANT to dedicate the time, energy and money will last and build a community, while those that don't, won't and fade into obscurity.

A lot of people believe that they only want to play on official because that is how the devs intended it. No amount of saying a good host is better would get them to move.

In my opinion they should delay Aberration i wee bit, seems to me Scorched just came out. With Aberration on the way i feel i won't be able to fully immerse in Scorched, unless i'm putting in multitudes of hours each week, which isn't exactly considering school chews up most of my time. Meh, but this is just me complaining, i'm still exited to see what the ARK Devs have in store for us!

Just now, DanishE said:

In my opinion they should delay Aberration i wee bit, seems to me Scorched just came out. With Aberration on the way i feel i won't be able to fully immerse in Scorched, unless i'm putting in multitudes of hours each week, which isn't exactly considering school chews up most of my time. Meh, but this is just me complaining, i'm still exited to see what the ARK Devs have in store for us!

Think it has been a year since Scorched came out. Correct me if I am wrong

1 hour ago, Housatonic said:

Glowfrog. Must have!

^This

47 minutes ago, Snapshot said:

I gotta say I'm really excited for the "Rock Drake" the one that camouflages and flies and climbs like megalania. I can't wait!

^This

2 minutes ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

I agree they need more servers. 

^This

I think that's about it. I'm stoked for the DLC, but I also think they need to put energy into the server issue before the launch of it.

3 minutes ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

A lot of people believe that they only want to play on official because that is how the devs intended it. No amount of saying a good host is better would get them to move.

As someone who has migrated several times because of hosts going down or choosing to end their service. I can tell you that, when you find a good host, who is dedicated and willing to put in the time towards building the community and maintaining it, that means a heck of a lot more than who's doing the hosting. I'd rather have a private hoster who I know if I put in a support ticket, will answer it same day, then a official or even unofficial hosted by a large corporation like Nitrado, who may or may not even answer the ticket.

Sorry if I'm thinking about this in terms of professional hosting and not just Joe Schmo who's running a dedicated server of his spare computer for his buds. But the quality of the hoster's response and service means more to me than the WHERE and the WHO is hosting it.

2 minutes ago, DanishE said:

Scorched Earth came out exactly a year ago.  It will be out 13-14 months by the time Aberration comes out, if it comes out on time.

Just now, agentexeider said:

As someone who has migrated several times because of hosts going down or choosing to end their service. I can tell you that, when you find a good host, who is dedicated and willing to put in the time towards building the community and maintaining it, that means a heck of a lot more than who's doing the hosting. I'd rather have a private hoster who I know if I put in a support ticket, will answer it same day, then a official or even unofficial hosted by a large corporation like Nitrado, who may or may not even answer the ticket.

Sorry if I'm thinking about this in terms of professional hosting and not just Joe Schmo who's running a dedicated server of his spare computer for his buds. But the quality of the hoster's response and service means more to me than the WHERE and the WHO is hosting it.

Not disagreeing, just some people won't play unoffical. Just how it is. 

FYI 1 year ago exactly, scorched came out

2 minutes ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Think it has been a year since Scorched came out. Correct me if I am wrong

1 minute ago, Shoosty said:

Scorched Earth came out exactly a year ago.  It will be out 13-14 months by the time Aberration comes out, if it comes out on time.

Oh dang! Sorry, i'm more of a noob than i thought, thanks for filling me in ^_^

Modders can get all the new stuff from that map, make a mod, and put that in another map (Ragnarok, basically). You could buy dinos too, basically official PvP people are only gonna buy it if there's an OP dino that will be nerfed once they all get that dino.

Also, a forum mod said that this can happen, and you know that before buying the DLC.

1 minute ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Not disagreeing, just some people won't play unoffical. Just how it is. 

FYI 1 year ago exactly, scorched came out

granted, but at the end of the day, what's the difference between an official server and an unofficial server running vanilla settings and is public? no alot if anything. Maybe a faster response time with the latter

I mean I get that people don't want to play tweaked servers, IE who's settings have been changed from vanilla, usually to make things easier or modded servers, who actually have game changing, often breaking changes to the gameplay. I get that entirely. I'm just saying that part of what made the PC version of this game take off the way it did was unofficial servers. The idea that potentially everyone could have their own ark and run it as they see fit, it was truly empowering.

3 minutes ago, Megar said:

Modders can get all the new stuff from that map, make a mod, and put that in another map (Ragnarok, basically). You could buy dinos too, basically official PvP people are only gonna buy it if there's an OP dino that will be nerfed once they all get that dino.

Also, a forum mod said that this can happen, and you know that before buying the DLC.

heck it doesnt even really require a mod per se, using admin commands on a vanilla server you could spawn/summon/giveitem of anything you would want.

That being said though, the creatures/items are purposed based on the ark they are designed for and as such might be unusable or redundant based on what they can do.

8 minutes ago, agentexeider said:

heck it doesnt even really require a mod per se, using admin commands on a vanilla server you could spawn/summon/giveitem of anything you would want.

That being said though, the creatures/items are purposed based on the ark they are designed for and as such might be unusable or redundant based on what they can do.

I don't wanna to put flames into this, but what makes you think that they are going to do the same as they do to SE. (Give the content for free)

You should know that they were a little forced to do that because they were releasing a DLC to an Early Access game.

But now, they don't have to do that so I will not have a lot of hope in getting all the things for free.

I hope that you both have the last word on this and I wish that, but I really think that this time things are going to be different.

Regards.

14 minutes ago, agentexeider said:

Yeah, like SE stuff, totally useless on The Island. Wyverns, Whips, Preserving Salt, Elemental Rocks, etc

2 minutes ago, VIKAS said:

I don't wanna to put flames into this, but what makes you think that they are going to do the same as they do to SE. (Give the content for free)

You should know that they were a little forced to do that because they were releasing a DLC to an Early Access game.

But now, they don't have to do that so I will not have a lot of hope in getting all the things for free.

I hope that you both have the last word on this and I wish that, but I really think that this time things are going to be different.

Regards.

that's not why the asset files were available in the island maps. It has nothing to do with the fact that it was an early access game. The assets are required to be in both maps for inter-operability, to allow you to be able to transfer dinos and resources between maps, they have to be there.

part of the mechanic of establishing yourself on multiple arks is for the exact purpose of grabbing a resource on one ark and moving to another, grabbing dinos on one ark and moving them to another. Those files have to present in every ark file to allow inter-operability. otherwise, the community gets divided. Because let's say player A has Aberration while Player B does not, they are on a server in a tribe together, Player A has a dino from that ark on the island. For player B to physically be able to see that dino/creature, and likely to even connect to the server, that requires that the server have those files, and that the client's version match the servers, so as a result those files will be in your install whether you have the DLC or not.

Now through normal gameplay means, those assets would be unavailable to you, but using admin commands to physically grant the items or spawn the creatures. That's how you could get the items/creatures without having to actually own the map.

Archived