I hope the devs realise how...

KimoBitz

I got a GTX1080TI too (+ryzen 7 3,75ghz & 32 gigs of ram) and i got FPS drops to 0 too i noticed those drops in SP and on Official, they are everywhere. FPS completely depends on where you are playing.

In Sigleplayer i have no problem to get 30-60 fps with epic settings on 1080p sometimes even 100 fps or more but when i switch to our old official (now legacy server) i can barely get 30 fps in our base :| even when i turn down the settings to a mix of mostly medium and some high i drop to 25 fps at some points.

So yeah i think it still needs some better optimization :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are asking for optimizations that, at least for consoles, cannot happen. You are asking for your meager consoles to perform way better than they can handle...you are trying to compare a game like ARK, to games like Horizon...WHICH HAS ZERO ONLINE PLAY.

You are also trying to compare Wildcard to companies like Sony...Wildcard has (last I checked), about 25 members to it. Sony and these other AAA titles have probably several hundreds.

For what Ark accomplished in a span of 2 year development, I'm actually quick shocked to how well it does. On PC anyway.

6 hours ago, KimoBitz said:

The game came out for consoles and people bought it, we have every right to complain. If the devs knew from the beginning that ps4 and xbox one couldn't run the game properly, why port it to consoles then...

Last I checked, WC wanted anyone to be able to play ARK, no matter which method of platform. In my opinion though, yeah, trying to put Ark on console was a move I wish they never did. Oh well. We're here now and frankly Ark has a large following on all platforms, so in WC's eyes, it wasn't a bad move. The playercount is what matters to them. As long as people still play it, then it must still be 'playable', even if it looks uglier on the less powerful consoles.

You either get an 'ugly' Ark, or none at all. But really people who drop a game because it looks gross, even though the game itself apparently was fun enough for them to play it for several thousands of hours, really need to get their priorities straight. Soemtimes you just CAN'T have both.

8 hours ago, bobishs said:

Doesnt matter, if they would have Optimized it proper it would run on the consoles at least with 900p at 30 Fps.

Doesn't matter eh? Okay then...do us all a solid. Go ahead and optimize Ark yourself. You sure seem like you know everything there is to know about optimizations and console hardware and their limitations. I'm sure Wildcard would looove to have such a knowledgeable optimizer like yourself on their team. Cause heaven knows they need it, right?

I'll await your breakthrough in console-optimizing practices. Bring proof while your at it too. We all would love to know how to make a game as heavy and complex in content and coding as Ark run smoother than it is now on hardware with limitations (at least till the next generation releases. Dat Xbox 1 X is supposably gonna be close to PC specs).

I'll just be playing ARK while I wait, on my not-even high-end PC, enjoying some beautiful scenery and fun gameplay and gasp...60 fps! Not that 60 fps was the make or break deal for me. Frankly 40fps is still good enough for my low standards. I'm not one of those butthurt folks who are so spoiled that they lose their mind when something isn't perfect.

Edit: Also as the person before me kindly stated...Ark's singleplayer runs extremely well. The online play is where it tanks...and guess what? My rented server I can get good performance. Officials? It's crap. WC should stop hosting their officials on Nitrado is one of the key factors in getting Ark to run better...their servers suck as you can see. For all you know, if officials were on better servers (as my unofficial is currently on), THEN maybe you'd see the performance others are getting? But you console players can't...yet. Just a thought.

Can I just make a small request to the OP? Please don't write click-bait subject lines on your posts.

The forums are about supposed to be about efficient communication. Let people choose if they want to read your topic or not. Don't force them to click on and read a post that they care nothing about. We all have different areas of interest.

A few words like "Visual Differences Between Game Platforms" would have been a good example of how to communicate your subject effectively.

Much appreciated.

@Shbear It is sad to see that you seem not to get what the point of people you insult as "fanboys" or "whiteknights" is. It is sad to see that you support people who complain about something they do not know anything about and back it up with stupid unrelated arguments often only using half of the truth because it favors them.

Money isn't an excuse. It's an argument when someone claims that WC has to deliver something as a AAA-title for the split of ressources.

And it is sad that you use Snail as an argument of WCs quality. Even if Snail bought the rights on distributing ARK in China or something else, it doesn't mean that Snail will pump millions of Dollars into WC instantly so they can get hundreds of programmers to make thei game better overnight.

And sorry, but you have to be a fool if you claim that "We spoiled WC with constant GJs". You are new here. You did not see how much criticism WC got over the time when they did things people disliked. Even I, a person you insult of being a fanboy and whiteknight, without knowing what I wrote over the year I'm here, criticised WC in their decisions in the past.

But rational people do it constructive, back it up with facts and don't just rant or say "uhm guise, it's 2016+1, geym looks poo, bad devs" like the 2 you seem to support.

And I feel you won't get this in the slightest, because I'm only a little fanboy who whiteknights himself into WC.

Also, you said it very well @Ulta

8 hours ago, bobishs said:

I have seen what a Ps4 can pull of watch Horizon it looks ten times better then Ark and it never drops below 30 fps....this is just 1 example. Dont defend poor Dev capabilities.

You do realise that the witcher, gta, horizon any other games out there aside from ark for consoles cannot be compared right?

all those games look amazing yes, but that's because One - they're made by companies with AAA titles already under their belt and scores upon scores of devs with multiple games to their name and Two - all those games are set in a static world already loaded with no changes made other than players moving around. 

Wildcard are a relatively smallish indie team, and this is their first big foray into the game market as a company, for that with the game theyve produced id say is a bloody good achievement, even with its flaws. Optimisation as you think wouldn't be possible as the game, server side and client has to constantly update every single goddamn thing on the map! Each dinosaurs movements, each resource spawn or destroyed, every single building asset (which on its own is more work for the computers than any other game out there) so the likelihood is a drop in graphics to help with the strain. 

So please, do tell us how this magical "fix everything optimisation" will make it so much better? 

@Ulta you actually said it better lol, I just didn't get that far down before throwing my say in xD

9 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Optimizing a game like that is very hard and not like some people assume it. "Just optimize it and it will run at max FPS".

I play PC and console and I'm constantly blown away by ignorant statements like this.

8 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

I'm gonna play a port from PC of a modern day survival game on an old tablet processor with a mid range graphics card that's 5 years old and complain that it runs like poop. 

Thanks for the laugh boys!

Pretty much.

16 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Wildcard are a relatively smallish indie team, and this is their first big foray into the game market as a company, for that with the game theyve produced id say is a bloody good achievement, even with its flaws. Optimisation as you think wouldn't be possible as the game, server side and client has to constantly update every single goddamn thing on the map! Each dinosaurs movements, each resource spawn or destroyed, every single building asset (which on its own is more work for the computers than any other game out there) so the likelihood is a drop in graphics to help with the strain. 

So please, do tell us how this magical "fix everything optimisation" will make it so much better? 

Shhhhh.... reason and logic has no place here. :Jerbmad:

2 hours ago, Ulta said:

You are asking for optimizations that, at least for consoles, cannot happen. You are asking for your meager consoles to perform way better than they can handle...you are trying to compare a game like ARK, to games like Horizon...WHICH HAS ZERO ONLINE PLAY.

You are also trying to compare Wildcard to companies like Sony...Wildcard has (last I checked), about 25 members to it. Sony and these other AAA titles have probably several hundreds.

For what Ark accomplished in a span of 2 year development, I'm actually quick shocked to how well it does. On PC anyway.

Last I checked, WC wanted anyone to be able to play ARK, no matter which method of platform. In my opinion though, yeah, trying to put Ark on console was a move I wish they never did. Oh well. We're here now and frankly Ark has a large following on all platforms, so in WC's eyes, it wasn't a bad move. The playercount is what matters to them. As long as people still play it, then it must still be 'playable', even if it looks uglier on the less powerful consoles.

You either get an 'ugly' Ark, or none at all. But really people who drop a game because it looks gross, even though the game itself apparently was fun enough for them to play it for several thousands of hours, really need to get their priorities straight. Soemtimes you just CAN'T have both.

Doesn't matter eh? Okay then...do us all a solid. Go ahead and optimize Ark yourself. You sure seem like you know everything there is to know about optimizations and console hardware and their limitations. I'm sure Wildcard would looove to have such a knowledgeable optimizer like yourself on their team. Cause heaven knows they need it, right?

I'll await your breakthrough in console-optimizing practices. Bring proof while your at it too. We all would love to know how to make a game as heavy and complex in content and coding as Ark run smoother than it is now on hardware with limitations (at least till the next generation releases. Dat Xbox 1 X is supposably gonna be close to PC specs).

I'll just be playing ARK while I wait, on my not-even high-end PC, enjoying some beautiful scenery and fun gameplay and gasp...60 fps! Not that 60 fps was the make or break deal for me. Frankly 40fps is still good enough for my low standards. I'm not one of those butthurt folks who are so spoiled that they lose their mind when something isn't perfect.

Edit: Also as the person before me kindly stated...Ark's singleplayer runs extremely well. The online play is where it tanks...and guess what? My rented server I can get good performance. Officials? It's crap. WC should stop hosting their officials on Nitrado is one of the key factors in getting Ark to run better...their servers suck as you can see. For all you know, if officials were on better servers (as my unofficial is currently on), THEN maybe you'd see the performance others are getting? But you console players can't...yet. Just a thought.

Well said!

Just so you know..  in the hundreds for Dev team in AAA is actually quite an understatement.

Big titles like Assassin's Creed for example usually have 10-20 studios working on them for about 2 years. The total staff count is usually in the 10s of thousands.

And still they release broken games that need day 1 patches. ?

@Jostabeere

Ahh, well :)

the first part was someone arguing then BAM something happened and tune changed :P 

FYI, I joined these forums almost a year ago, I was more of a reader rather than posting, so yeah, I only increased my post counts lately to get access to the trading forums.

but yeah, wasn't directing the post to you personally, but it seems you took at as a PM, sorry it got you that way.

For snail part, who supported WC in their case a year ago? when money needed, they are there, they acquired the WC as a whole, not in china, but as a whole in 2015.

and I am trying my best to be constructive toward WC, not the people here because everyone have the right to write here and i'm not a moderator to be accountable for other's words (yes, some people go extreme insult mode, but i didn't). 0 insults were written in my reply toward WC (even fanboy is not actually an insult, it's to describe someone fighting off others from the loved object/product out of overprotection)you may took it as an insult, but that's not my intention for using it. I'm arguing the ideas, not the people. 

The optimization i was arguing your point that it's doable for other studios because they have the money, so i was pointing they do have access to the money if it's the issue (if snail refuses or anything, still not a valid point for me as a client to be told "we can't give you more because of internal issues").

Let us be honest, they had the time. no major (graphic wise) changes done in the few months ago, they even started, but a bit late. so to me, their real issue is not money, rather than a time/priority management. how did I conclude that? well, the ready DLC coming in a month or 2. that should've been delayed a bit, since no one knew about it, so no demands will be going. 

p.s. I did not mention you as a fanboy, after re-reading your posts and mine, it might suggest that by using the "WC has no money" but in honesty, i was referring to many users using this for anything wrong happens regardless of the situation. 

1 minute ago, Shbear said:

@Jostabeere

Ahh, well :)

the first part was someone arguing then BAM something happened and tune changed :P 

FYI, I joined these forums almost a year ago, I was more of a reader rather than posting, so yeah, I only increased my post counts lately to get access to the trading forums.

but yeah, wasn't directing the post to you personally, but it seems you took at as a PM, sorry it got you that way.

For snail part, who supported WC in their case a year ago? when money needed, they are there, they acquired the WC as a whole, not in china, but as a whole in 2015.

and I am trying my best to be constructive toward WC, not the people here because everyone have the right to write here and i'm not a moderator to be accountable for other's words (yes, some people go extreme insult mode, but i didn't). 0 insults were written in my reply toward WC (even fanboy is not actually an insult, it's to describe someone fighting off others from the loved object/product out of overprotection)you may took it as an insult, but that's not my intention for using it. I'm arguing the ideas, not the people. 

The optimization i was arguing your point that it's doable for other studios because they have the money, so i was pointing they do have access to the money if it's the issue (if snail refuses or anything, still not a valid point for me as a client to be told "we can't give you more because of internal issues").

Let us be honest, they had the time. no major (graphic wise) changes done in the few months ago, they even started, but a bit late. so to me, their real issue is not money, rather than a time/priority management. how did I conclude that? well, the ready DLC coming in a month or 2. that should've been delayed a bit, since no one knew about it, so no demands will be going. 

p.s. I did not mention you as a fanboy, after re-reading your posts and mine, it might suggest that by using the "WC has no money" but in honesty, i was referring to many users using this for anything wrong happens regardless of the situation. 

Just so you know, Snail makes crappy mobile and browser games... They are known for poor optimization & support. They wouldn't know where to start.

They didn't know where to start with Dark & Light, which is why they bought WC. It's basically a reskinned version of Ark... Even uses allot of the same meshes.

In the big picture, Snail is just a tiny hack gaming company.

On 9/1/2017 at 10:57 AM, Rickyh24 said:

They shouldn't even be bothering with these custom arks then. 

Problem is, no one enjoys TheIsland anymore. The map is flat, boring and in all honesty, when I go back there for trade, it's the most depressing map there is. I honestly don't see how people continue to play it.

9 minutes ago, Darkintellect said:

Problem is, no one enjoys TheIsland anymore. The map is flat, boring and in all honesty, when I go back there for trade, it's the most depressing map there is. I honestly don't see how people continue to play it.

Actually, the Island is still my main map and favorite... Although when Rag's done it likely will be.

The Island has by far the most to do and the best balance as far as resource distribution goes, explorer notes etc.

Scorched and The Center both got old really quick.

The Island has everything and kept evolving all through EA. Plus you kinda have to keep it around for Acension & Tek. 

I will say Rag far beats The Island for building locations, beauty, and cave size/coolness. However it's not finished enough to be a main yet.

Resources distribution is far too OP. There's enough of everything in the starter zone to go full Tek immediately if you already have the engrams... Easy mode! Spawns aren't balanced at all. The caves are way too easy as a result.  The Water too. But a year from now, oh baby!

Now I just can't wait to see Aberration... Figure that will become my obsession for a couple months at least! 

Not a game developer but I am software Dveloper. I can Imagine that the game is not comparable to horizon and any other game. 
but I get the problem here I also feel that the game is not getting most of the CPU and GPU of PC or consoles. It surely could make more of it . also I would expect that on the release the game developers would tend to issues with the ui even when inside menu server search. or on the console it is impossible to enter the join server page if You dont scroll down one menu item and go back up to join server . this creates the lack of final touch thought in the gamers . and from my point of view when I see a developer not tending to such little yet big things in the UI i can expect also that the Optimizations and other areas of the game could be better written ( and optimized ).
I dont know behind the scenes but I get where the optimizations subject comes from. and I dont blame these ppl I also get similar feeling. 
I still love the game . I just hope it will be adressed at some point in further development. 

1 hour ago, Szychan said:

Not a game developer but I am software Dveloper. I can Imagine that the game is not comparable to horizon and any other game. 
but I get the problem here I also feel that the game is not getting most of the CPU and GPU of PC or consoles. It surely could make more of it . also I would expect that on the release the game developers would tend to issues with the ui even when inside menu server search. or on the console it is impossible to enter the join server page if You dont scroll down one menu item and go back up to join server . this creates the lack of final touch thought in the gamers . and from my point of view when I see a developer not tending to such little yet big things in the UI i can expect also that the Optimizations and other areas of the game could be better written ( and optimized ).
I dont know behind the scenes but I get where the optimizations subject comes from. and I dont blame these ppl I also get similar feeling. 
I still love the game . I just hope it will be adressed at some point in further development. 

True

10 hours ago, SFM said:

On PS4 Pro it looks a lot better and sharp.

Stop right there, criminal scum!

You polish a turd and it's still a turd. All the PS4 Pro does is make the ugly graphics sticks out more.

Unfortunately the consoles just do not have the power to do mods or better graphics. Maybe with optimization they can make mods a thing, but unless they make some huge change to ARK I doubt console will get any meaningful FPS boosts or mods.

I have a PS4 pro an xbox one and a PC. The pro has pretty good graphics on certain games (Dying Light, Grand Theft Auto V, Fallout 4, etc.) but ARK is not one of them.

ARK on PC:

95F23F60BFEEFB2950FD2E5B3CA2E44EAC218AA2 ARK on PS4 Pro:

18492650_1933226700036363_2113113706_n.thumb.jpg.8f7c37c04858ede40fb506ebc853adf3.jpg18492704_1933229450036088_1685937762_n.thumb.jpg.9a767e0c893a0cb1705e4e8bb15b1d1e.jpg

I'm sure that Wildcard noticed the huge difference in graphics fidelity before they released the console ports. It's hard not to.

On 1.9.2017 at 4:55 PM, Titan696 said:

because they are, rather than sacrifice shadow quality or bloom it puts the textures down to minimum, I have 2 TV's with xbox's playing side by side and the graphics never look the same on either. I turn shadows down on my pc and it helps it run so much better, the only thing rag is missing is the ground clutter and i don't miss that at all.

using ground clutter at 0 gives 10-20 fps monkaS

12 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Actually, the Island is still my main map and favorite... Although when Rag's done it likely will be.

The Island has by far the most to do and the best balance as far as resource distribution goes, explorer notes etc.

Scorched and The Center both got old really quick.

The Island has everything and kept evolving all through EA. Plus you kinda have to keep it around for Acension & Tek. 

I will say Rag far beats The Island for building locations, beauty, and cave size/coolness. However it's not finished enough to be a main yet.

Resources distribution is far too OP. There's enough of everything in the starter zone to go full Tek immediately if you already have the engrams... Easy mode! Spawns aren't balanced at all. The caves are way too easy as a result.  The Water too. But a year from now, oh baby!

Now I just can't wait to see Aberration... Figure that will become my obsession for a couple months at least! 

i can see what you mean but, reg still larger easier too get caught and find.

the island is straight up boring after u discover it atleast in EA LUL

23 minutes ago, Chronosphere said:

i can see what you mean but, reg still larger easier too get caught and find.

the island is straight up boring after u discover it atleast in EA LUL

I'm practically a day one player, started playing in October 2015 and like I said The Island is still my favorite map.

16 minutes ago, RedSoul132 said:

I play on my xbox one and myself, repeat myself, do not see a huge diffrence in graphics between consoles and pc. Bring Ark to consoles was a great move to. Once again before someone chews my ass out about pcmasterrace one thing. I dont give a poop.

There's no reason anyone should chew you out. You are a perfect example of why a market for consoles still exists and why Sony and Microsoft still make them.

Glad you enjoy the game, that's really all that matters!

21 hours ago, Ulta said:

Last I checked, WC wanted anyone to be able to play ARK, no matter which method of platform.

Or they wanted as much cash as possible without being responsible for false promises. 

Not a single video selling the game has footage from xBox/PS4. It's all from PC, on private server where both machines are 20000$ a piece.

I take back my earlier post. I play on a laptop used for gaming, yeah it isnt the best but I can play a game like the Isle on medium settings no problem and maybe high if I push it. I have yet to try Ark but it will probably be just like my xbox and  this is a laptop. So yeah. The thing is the console is nice because it is fun to just chill on your couch and pay ark. Could it look better yes. But consoles are not there for some god forsaken reason. So yes I was wrong and PC are better than consoles even the lower end one like my laptop.

ps: If any one knows how to check my laptops limits like graphics and all that that would be great. 

3 hours ago, powerstuck said:

Or they wanted as much cash as possible without being responsible for false promises. 

Not a single video selling the game has footage from xBox/PS4. It's all from PC, on private server where both machines are 20000$ a piece.

Umm..  so WC Are bad guys for doing what all game companies do????? Halo, Assassin's Creed, GTA, COD... All guilty of high end PC trailers marketed to console.

2 hours ago, KimoBitz said:

Exactly

Exactly the normal practice.

If you guys want to take up false advertising, I'd suggest you grow a pair and stop picking on the little guy who's forced to follow suit. Go after the big guys who set the standard...  That would be EA, Ubisoft, Activision and Microsoft if you didn't know.

Archived