New Pteranadon Behavior?

Weaseldog

17 minutes ago, Weaseldog said:

I've noticed lately that Pterandons have a habit of just flying away; for no obvious reason.

I'll land my ptera. go off, then Ptera will just lift off and fly away at high speed.

What is the thinking behind this behavior? How can I mitigate it?

If you're new to the game then probably this:

It sounds like it's set to follow another one of your tames. If you whistled follow while riding another tame, it will follow the tame, not you.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Weaseldog said:

i found the culprit. I mapped the '-' key to all follow. When I log back in, it's remapped to all aggressive. Ark seems to prefer that mapping and doesn't like my preference.

Every big patch they reset your keybinds. I personally always reset my J (all follow) to nothing...

having 300 pteras in my breeding pen all up and swarm me is awkward and takes like 3hpurs+ to fix lol

41 minutes ago, Drinkinthepink said:

Every big patch they reset your keybinds. I personally always reset my J (all follow) to nothing...

having 300 pteras in my breeding pen all up and swarm me is awkward and takes like 3hpurs+ to fix lol

I have mine set to the - on the num pad because usually if I am in an emergency I don't have time to stare at the animal before taking off xD (I don't leave mine on passive)

2 hours ago, Drinkinthepink said:

Having made the "J" mistake on multiple occasions, these days all our breeders and egg farm ("organised" animals that we've bothered to lay out in a particular way) are all set to ignore group whistles. Took ages to do, but has saved us a few hours re-organising everything a few times now.

Still have a few animals strategically placed around the base on neutral with all settings default just incase anything gets in and have had a couple of minor instances with spinos, carnos etc suddenly charging towards me when I pressed J by mistake, usually followed by me shouting lots of swear words and mashing the U button xD

3 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

My argy does this too. I dont think its a screw up on our ends with any follow or behavior settings, I think its just another bug in the game, shocker I know.

Had this happen to me last night with my argy.  Landed and got off and it instantly shot forward about 40 feet and landed again.  Wasn't set to follow, was on passive and there was nothing there attacking it.  Just decided I smelled and wanted to get away I guess.

Wow, so much confusion.

If it fly away like you say. Follow is then enabled. Even if it does not say so in the green text.

Before ride use behavior and choose "Enable following".   In the past we had to do it twice for it to work but not now I hope. Meaning: Enable then Disable and Enable again.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Ariana

21 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Wow, so much confusion.

If it fly away like you say. Follow is then enabled. Even if it does not say so in the green text.

Before ride use behavior and choose "Enable following".   In the past we had to do it twice for it to work but not now I hope. Meaning: Enable then Disable and Enable again.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Ariana

I assure you it wasn't.  I had just transferred to the island map from rag, the bird had not been used for a few days and it wasn't even my bird, it belonged to a tribe mate who was still on rag.  So if it was on follow, it would have been following him and as I said he wasn't even on the map.  There was no text on the bird other than the name before and after I got on it to move it.

Either way, it's a bug.

I have experienced this with several new tames and posted a report in the bugs section. When you take them off follow about 1 in 5 in my experience will take off in a random direction if they are left on neutral. They have gone to places we have not even been to on the map yet. I have just made a habit of having a bird on follow if I have it on neutral since they can easily leave you stranded it they decide you stink too much. ;) 

A bug can be repeated. So recreate it and take screen shots then report it to:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScHdhW5AishZ3o9qUXSJD15CJgzCvBqpN32p77B5VGhAeFQ1A/viewform

Otherwise us Enable Following and then use Disable Following. In the case you do not want it to follow that is.

Regards,

Ariana

4 hours ago, jaypak said:

It's been there for a while now... flee mechanic... if anything attacks you then your bird (argy, pt, whatever) will fly straight up or about 100 meters away in the direction opposite you 

It's crap, a would expect your tame to try pick up up and fly u away of help u but it just flees

This is exactly what happened to me 3 times in the last week with my Argies. Except all three times I was in the water, and so my Argy flew off and disappeared. Luckily I was able to find them days later while scouting for them.

I am now in the process of creating and installing tracking nodes for all of my flyers.

Archived