Are you Satisfied with the Official Game?

RxBilly

10/10 I am pleased with launch, the game, and its development. This is coming from someone with 6000 hours and counting, on official servers (of which, mine are likely next on the wipe list). I've been through the bugs, crashes, lost dinos and gear because of these things, and I still have the same passion for Ark as I did in my first week playing it.

A few things I want to point out:

- Wildcard is a small tightly knit team trying to make a hugely ambitious game that has not been tried in the past.

- If they had a fully fleshed out CS team working 24/7, you could expect a huge price increase, a monthly fee for official servers, or the company go bankrupt VERY fast.

- Most early access game developers would not DARE to have official servers before launch, yet players whine about lack of CS on servers that they are not charging you to play on....

- Many games that have official servers do not even legally allow their game to be played on player hosted servers (think about WoW and the Nostralius server). The concept of unofficial servers is still a very new thing in the gaming industry.

- Wildcard is not a company that has been around for ages of the gaming industry to have the experience that a company like Blizzard does. Wildcard is pushing themselves past their limit, and if nobody ever tried to do that, we would not have the technological advances we have in todays world.

I find it very disheartening how gamers these days get SO upset over some technical issues in a video game. If you had issues with a car, food, or safety equipment, you would have every right to be concerned or upset.... but this is a VIDEO GAME. Let that sink in a little bit...

I come home from work and play Ark until I can't stay awake any longer. I have no kids or girlfriend/wife, and most of my friends have moved out of state or dropped off the radar. Basically, Ark is my life once I get home. You would think that I would be one of those who bash the devs for every little thing they do wrong, but I am not. So in that regard, I find it absolutely mind blowing how people can have such a crisis about any of it. The self-entitled attitude of gamers these days makes me want to gouge my eyes out when I read it.

I also want to point out that big companies (not just in the gaming industry, take Wal-Mart for example) have raised the bar for customer service SO high, that it trickles down onto smaller companies who simply cannot meet those standards, standards that are placed upon them by the same self-entitled customers who just expect far too much out of a company. 

Anyway, I still rate the game 10/10. I will buy every DLC they make. I will not wait for sales, I want to support the company and see Ark live a long (and well deserved) lifespan. I am 30 years young, and it is not often that a game takes a hold of me and immerses me so deeply like Ark has.

Keep up the great work Wildcard, and remember, the hateful voices always speak the loudest, while those who are deeply in love with it, are quietly enjoying everything you have done for us :)

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Joanna said:

And now we are getting pointless annoucements like this

instead of getting information on what is happening with servers such as a complete lack of official PC EU PVE Servers.

To be honest i kinda liked this "behind the scenes". At least we all know at the very least someone did their job right and loved to do it!

The music is incredibly good. To bad that is overshadowed by the rest, that completely overwhelms it.

They should do the "behind the scenes" of the development teams departments... I am willing to bet the "Story" will be incredibly different... 

1 hour ago, Sh4rk said:

The self-entitled attitude of gamers these days makes me want to gouge my eyes out when I read it.

I also want to point out that big companies (not just in the gaming industry, take Wal-Mart for example) have raised the bar for customer service SO high, that it trickles down onto smaller companies who simply cannot meet those standards, standards that are placed upon them by the same self-entitled customers who just expect far too much out of a company. 

I especially love it when somebody attempts to use the term "self entitled" and fails in an epic proportion.

Ok, here's an example that I honestly hope people can understand.... you go to the store and buy groceries. everything is going good, you go through the register and pay for your things only to have the owner of the store hand you one small bag and then tells you to stop back next week and you can have another bag. naturally your first response would be that you just paid for all of those bags but the customer behind you says stop being self entitled, take what they give you and be happy about it. see nobody is asking for anything special, we just want to be able to play the game that we paid for and that every players recieve the same service. that's not self entitlement that's equality.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, Dark2084 said:

Yes we could continue to file bug reports but why exactly?

To improve your gaming experience moving forward. Bugs can and often affect everyone and reporting them (specially callstacks in the case of crashes) helps give a clearer picture on how something breaks and how to stop it. For example, if there were to be some bug that makes your dino explode from having it eat meat while going up an elevator, the loss of customer support on legacy would mean that you won't be compensated for your dino loss, but moving forward if and when that sort of bug gets patched then you will no longer have to worry about your dinos exploding when you use an elevator.

1 hour ago, Voidstar said:

I expected a bad launch, but this is even worse...

I ll just stick to single player because...do I need to even explain ?!

Not criticizing the launch, since this is the first time i have seen... something this messy...

Though i understand you, ever since i bought Ark i have been playing singleplayer. It is insanely unbalanced, full of bugs and well... "other related issues".
It is "somehow stable", at least now i don't have many issues with it like before, though it would be better if i had a server.

Single player puts the computer under to much pressure and stress. 

I have 2400+ hours in game where 95% were dedicated to single player mode 5% to multiplayer, in these 5%: 2% were in a PVP (Lol Unofficial server) with an awesome tribe and 3% in a PVE server.

10 minutes ago, Dark2084 said:

I especially love it when somebody attempts to use the term "self entitled" and fails in an epic proportion.

Ok, here's an example that I honestly hope people can understand.... you go to the store and buy groceries. everything is going good, you go through the register and pay for your things only to have the owner of the store hand you one small bag and then tells you to stop back next week and you can have another bag. naturally your first response would be that you just paid for all of those bags but the customer behind you says stop being self entitled, take what they give you and be happy about it. see nobody is asking for anything special, we just want to be able to play the game that we paid for and that every players recieve the same service. that's not self entitlement that's equality.

Bags are complimentary, there is no law that says stores HAVE to give you a bag for your stuff. Also, bags dont require a paycheck to do what they do. Not a fair comparison.

And you are getting the game you paid for, it just didn't turn out to be quite what you expected. That is why EA games clearly state that anything amd everything is subject to change. Similar to No Mans Sky, the players hyped it up SO much and as a result, were let down. (Yes I know it launched without promised features, but they are adding them in and didn't run away with the money like they legally could have)

Its like asking for an iPhone for your birthday, being told you will get one, and being upset that it wasn't the latest version.

14 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

To improve your gaming experience moving forward. Bugs can and often affect everyone and reporting them (specially callstacks in the case of crashes) helps give a clearer picture on how something breaks and how to stop it. For example, if there were to be some bug that makes your dino explode from having it eat meat while going up an elevator, the loss of customer support on legacy would mean that you won't be compensated for your dino loss, but moving forward if and when that sort of bug gets patched then you will no longer have to worry about your dinos exploding when you use an elevator.

Let me play the angel's advocate, Wilcard has said: "We don't want to help you anymore because we just don't want to." Hence they stopped providing customer support to a good number of their official servers. Now the excuse they gave is that they just didn't want to spend the time to help their players out.

After spending so much time with problems similar to exploding dinos, I lost a number to things falling through the map, vanishing for no reason, starving with food in their inventories, I am perfectly fine with playing with those bugs and it seems others are too since those are things customer support apparently was supposed to help with. So why shouldn't our response be the same as theirs? That we have better things to spend our time on.

Again, I was just playing angel's advocate. As I mentioned I stopped with the reports a while ago because they apparently went straight into the trash. So I have no horse in this race.

I've read through all the trash on this post, researched every link, and have my own opinions; but I think it's safe to say that there are waaaay to many whiners in here AND waaaay to many fanbois. Here are my thoughts. I know you don't care about them, but I read your poop now you have to read mine. :D:D

1. I lost everything I spent so long on in my official PVP server - so did my whole alliance. All the behemoth tech gates, all the wyverns, all the 305 gigas... EVERYTHING. It sucks so bad that there were people on the voicechat audibly crying at their hard work being destroyed. 

2. I don't blame the developers of ARK for this. The greed of the duping players is what brought this on us, and I'd gladly give it all up again if it means that on the new servers someone can't just dup an army of gigas and enough c4 to wipe the server because they're bored. 

3. This doesn't mean the devs are blameless. If they had been arsed to, they could have corrected the issue. It's all about the bottom line though and the fact that people were exploiting the game wasn't losing them any money. 

4. This release was trash. Pure and simple. If I had just went to gamestop and picked this game up only to get it home and not be able to play it I would be blasting this space with hatemail.

The fact is though, despite all of its shortcomings this is the best game I've ever played and I will support it. 

21 minutes ago, KrakenOverlord said:

I've read through all the trash on this post, researched every link, and have my own opinions; but I think it's safe to say that there are waaaay to many whiners in here AND waaaay to many fanbois. Here are my thoughts. I know you don't care about them, but I read your poop now you have to read mine. :D:D

1. I lost everything I spent so long on in my official PVP server - so did my whole alliance. All the behemoth tech gates, all the wyverns, all the 305 gigas... EVERYTHING. It sucks so bad that there were people on the voicechat audibly crying at their hard work being destroyed. 

2. I don't blame the developers of ARK for this. The greed of the duping players is what brought this on us, and I'd gladly give it all up again if it means that on the new servers someone can't just dup an army of gigas and enough c4 to wipe the server because they're bored. 

3. This doesn't mean the devs are blameless. If they had been arsed to, they could have corrected the issue. It's all about the bottom line though and the fact that people were exploiting the game wasn't losing them any money. 

4. This release was trash. Pure and simple. If I had just went to gamestop and picked this game up only to get it home and not be able to play it I would be blasting this space with hatemail.

The fact is though, despite all of its shortcomings this is the best game I've ever played and I will support it. 

People have a hard time grasping that this is a game where everything can just go *Poof*. This game has caused to feel some real gut wrenching almost tearing moment for me as well but, In all honesty this is a game of emotions and politics. At the end of the day I can still say I have some awesome memories fighting like all hell with my tribe members and it being the best time I have ever had playing a game hands down. This game isn't one where you boast about the crazy junk you piled up in a vault and the 100000000 generation rex you have but, the awesome memories and funny stories you get just chilling with your friends and honesty when your with a tribe for months and months these people become your family. With the good times/ Bad times, love, tears, pratical jokes, and drama all included :Jerblove: Offical PVP is the only way to play this in my book because you will never experience another game like it. for better or worse your going to have some stories to tell when you play this game.

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

Yes that would be very helpful but if I'm not going to be recieving anymore help then what is my incentive to help the devs work the bugs out of their game?

1 hour ago, Sh4rk said:

Bags are complimentary, there is no law that says stores HAVE to give you a bag for your stuff. Also, bags dont require a paycheck to do what they do. Not a fair comparison.

And you are getting the game you paid for, it just didn't turn out to be quite what you expected. That is why EA games clearly state that anything amd everything is subject to change. Similar to No Mans Sky, the players hyped it up SO much and as a result, were let down. (Yes I know it launched without promised features, but they are adding them in and didn't run away with the money like they legally could have)

Its like asking for an iPhone for your birthday, being told you will get one, and being upset that it wasn't the latest version.

you missed the point... the owner doesn't give you everything you paid for... instead he tells you to come back in a week to get a few more of the items you just paid for... but as you missed the obvious I suppose it's pointless to try and show you the light.

1 minute ago, Dark2084 said:

you missed the point... the owner doesn't give you everything you paid for... instead he tells you to come back in a week to get a few more of the items you just paid for... but as you missed the obvious I suppose it's pointless to try and show you the light.

You know that claiming that others are refusing to see "the light" won't get anyone to believe you, right? It'll just make you look arrogant.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Dark2084 said:

You paid for the game, which you received. For better or worse the customer support that comes with it is a complementary, not compulsary, function. By this I mean that you can't exactly submit a support ticket to Wildcard to assist in matters of a private server, even though by your logic you paid Wildcard to be able to play on them too.

1 minute ago, ciabattaroll said:

You paid for the game, which you received. For better or worse the customer support that comes with it is a complementary, not compulsary, function. By this I mean that you can't exactly submit a support ticket to Wildcard to assist in matters of a private server, even though by your logic you paid Wildcard to be able to play on them too.

apologies, my response to you never posted so I had to edit.

3 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

I play on official(legacy now), I see private/unofficial servers as something not covered under the warranty. I'm just asking for the same thing that every other player on an official server gets, nothing more and nothing less.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Dark2084 said:

Yes that would be very helpful but if I'm not going to be recieving anymore help then what is my incentive to help the devs work the bugs out of their game?

The incentive is in you not screwing yourself over when you come across something you could have helped prevent.

Picture this, you're a super science whiz that as fate would have it, got bitten by a radioactive spider which gave you super powers. You take your abilities and show them off at a wrestling match, hoping to gain money and fame, but unfortunately the manager stiffs you on the prize money for it. On your way out you find that the manager got robbed and the robber is running past you, but you think to your self "what's my incentive" so you let the thief run free. You then come home to find out from your kindly aunt that your uncle was murdered. In a fit of rage you track down your uncles killer only to find that the killer and the thief you let run free are one and the same.

See how "what's in it for me" can come and bite you in the butt?

Spoiler

tl;dr, you can be spider-man if you choose to.

2 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Creating a private server is a game functionality which WC promotes and sells. Yes? And you think that it is logical to assume that if there is some problem with server code WE CANNOT open a ticket to WC? Seriously? 

5 hours ago, Sh4rk said:

10/10 I am pleased with launch, the game, and its development. This is coming from someone with 6000 hours and counting, on official servers (of which, mine are likely next on the wipe list). I've been through the bugs, crashes, lost dinos and gear because of these things, and I still have the same passion for Ark as I did in my first week playing it.

A few things I want to point out:

- Wildcard is a small tightly knit team trying to make a hugely ambitious game that has not been tried in the past.

- If they had a fully fleshed out CS team working 24/7, you could expect a huge price increase, a monthly fee for official servers, or the company go bankrupt VERY fast.

- Most early access game developers would not DARE to have official servers before launch, yet players whine about lack of CS on servers that they are not charging you to play on....

- Many games that have official servers do not even legally allow their game to be played on player hosted servers (think about WoW and the Nostralius server). The concept of unofficial servers is still a very new thing in the gaming industry.

- Wildcard is not a company that has been around for ages of the gaming industry to have the experience that a company like Blizzard does. Wildcard is pushing themselves past their limit, and if nobody ever tried to do that, we would not have the technological advances we have in todays world.

I find it very disheartening how gamers these days get SO upset over some technical issues in a video game. If you had issues with a car, food, or safety equipment, you would have every right to be concerned or upset.... but this is a VIDEO GAME. Let that sink in a little bit...

I come home from work and play Ark until I can't stay awake any longer. I have no kids or girlfriend/wife, and most of my friends have moved out of state or dropped off the radar. Basically, Ark is my life once I get home. You would think that I would be one of those who bash the devs for every little thing they do wrong, but I am not. So in that regard, I find it absolutely mind blowing how people can have such a crisis about any of it. The self-entitled attitude of gamers these days makes me want to gouge my eyes out when I read it.

Anyway, I still rate the game 10/10. I will buy every DLC they make. I will not wait for sales, I want to support the company and see Ark live a long (and well deserved) lifespan. I am 30 years young, and it is not often that a game takes a hold of me and immerses me so deeply like Ark has.

Keep up the great work Wildcard, and remember, the hateful voices always speak the loudest, while those who are deeply in love with it, are quietly enjoying everything you have done for us :)

You are please with the launch? Are we playing the same game?

Archived