Does the wind turbine work in the island ?

KimoBitz

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a wind turbine on The Island on the SE herbivore island last night, and it seems to only work during daylight hours (verified by fiddling with cheat settimeofday 04:00 and also at 12:00). Might as well be remade as solar panels. :)

But on the island at least, you can cut your gas use in half if you combine a generator with auto-on enabled with turbines, and then manually turn off your generator when the turbine comes on in the morning (annoying to do, I just went with generators).

2 minutes ago, marcpullen said:

I tried a wind turbine on The Island on the SE herbivore island last night, and it seems to only work during daylight hours (verified by fiddling with cheat settimeofday 04:00 and also at 12:00). Might as well be remade as solar panels. :)

But on the island at least, you can cut your gas use in half if you combine a generator with auto-on enabled with turbines, and then manually turn off your generator when the turbine comes on in the morning (annoying to do, I just went with generators).

Last time I checked it did not have an auto off function, so you may have to turn off the gen during the day if you want to cut gas usage. They do work on the island, but unfortunately you cannot check your wind percentage so there is no way of knowing where the best place to build with a turbine is. I am sure someone has figured it out, but I am too lazy to look. ;)

4 minutes ago, marcpullen said:

Hmmm, I thought when "auto on" was enabled your generator cut off automatically when the windmill started supplying power again.  Perhaps I was mistaken, I don't normally use them.

Just now, NathanAndDaddy said:

Last time I checked it did not have an auto off function, so you may have to turn off the gen during the day if you want to cut gas usage. They do work on the island, but unfortunately you cannot check your wind percentage so there is no way of knowing where the best place to build with a turbine is. I am sure someone has figured it out, but I am too lazy to look. ;)

I read somewhere that the island was technically 100% everywhere, but only during in-game daylight hours. It's def not in the wiki for the island.

Just now, ranger1presents said:

Hmmm, I thought when "auto on" was enabled your generator cut off automatically when the windmill started supplying power again.  Perhaps I was mistaken, I don't normally use them.

I've seen many complaints that it only does auto-on, does not shut off when the turbine kicks back in, but I haven't fully tested that. On SE I also build in a crappy non-windy spot, so they never kicked on for me. And sadly I build 6 of the things.

6 minutes ago, marcpullen said:

I've seen many complaints that it only does auto-on, does not shut off when the turbine kicks back in, but I haven't fully tested that. On SE I also build in a crappy non-windy spot, so they never kicked on for me. And sadly I build 6 of the things.

Yes generators can only be set to "auto-on" when the turbine power shuts off, they will not automatically shut off when turbine power resumes.  Also, reportedly The Island behaves like a 100% wind zone, however my turbine on my Island base (Hidden Lake) shuts off quite often (generator kicks in to keep power up).  Annoying af.  I also notice that in desert 100% wind areas that the turbines shut off for no reason (no Lightning Storm) and are unreliable to say the least.  I have had to resort to putting generators on my 100% wind turbine bases which is also annoying because of generator noise, generators needing repair, and (as mentioned) generators not shutting back off once the turbine gets over its tantrum.

14 minutes ago, marcpullen said:

I read somewhere that the island was technically 100% everywhere, but only during in-game daylight hours. It's def not in the wiki for the island.

This may be the case... I have a turbine on a tree platform in the redwoods and it only seems to work during the day.

Archived