Tacking The Island's Caves

Jkyle37

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Nah, just telling people who say :"Bring in wolf/saber/frog/Baryonx and you will be fine" this is no longer the case

Yep, my friends did the lava cave and after taking out our first wave of bats, we were like, "this is easy!" Then we all died...

promptly looked up the best way to farm leach blood lol

I don't know if you've tried the snow cave yet but I always had trouble with it on the Island (solo player), so I ended up breeding my Thylacoleo's so I could take the baby in the cave to raise. I tell you I was really nervous about flying the pregnant female on the back of my Quetzal since he's a lot slower now lol. Luckily enough I finally did make it without her popping the baby out before I got there. I tell you what, the Thyla works amazing in that cave (climbing, jumping, and wrecking everything) and I have no problems at all now. 

8 minutes ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Don't know that one. Was it before leeches? That is when I first bought the game

Yeah, you used to be able to take flyers in caves. They don't fit in all of them. Back in the day you could barrel roll the Petro through the walls to get them in though. 

At one point the bats used to glitch through the mesh and end up on the surface chasing you. I tamed my first bats that way. Lol.

2 minutes ago, Jkyle37 said:

Yep, my friends did the lava cave and after taking out our first wave of bats, we were like, "this is easy!" Then we all died...

promptly looked up the best way to farm leach blood lol

Horns work too FYI 

Just now, HalfSlabBacon said:

Yeah, you used to be able to take flyers in caves. They don't fit in all of them. Back in the day you could barrel roll the Petro their the walls to get them in though. 

At one point the bats used to glitch through the mesh and end up on the surface chasing you. I tamed my first bats that way. Lol.

Lol

2 minutes ago, phantomman01 said:

I don't know if you've tried the snow cave yet but I always had trouble with it on the Island (solo player), so I ended up breeding my Thylacoleo's so I could take the baby in the cave to raise. I tell you I was really nervous about flying the pregnant female on the back of my Quetzal since he's a lot slower now lol. Luckily enough I finally did make it without her popping the baby out before I got there. I tell you what, the Thyla works amazing in that cave (climbing, jumping, and wrecking everything) and I have no problems at all now. 

I've looked into the thyla, how does their damage compare to the saber? 

• Volunteer Moderator
14 minutes ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Roughly 10% chance to get it

i'd swear we got it from every bat that bit us last night, died twice...was a complete fail (forgot about antidote/health potions/flame arrows, etc  lmao) other than getting 2 clever artifacts. we went in for megalania toxin and not a lizard to be found. didnt lose either saber tho. so ya, if in a group and someone gets rabies, dont get close to them lmao--doesnt work out well.

9 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

i'd swear we got it from every bat that bit us last night, died twice...was a complete fail (forgot about antidote/health potions/flame arrows, etc  lmao) other than getting 2 clever artifacts. we went in for megalania toxin and not a lizard to be found. didnt lose either saber tho. so ya, if in a group and someone gets rabies, dont get close to them lmao--doesnt work out well.

Lower South has a better chance with megalania and no bats. Yes, I feel like 10% is too low myself, but that is what the wiki says

4 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

saber has 29 base damage, thyla has 40

thyla is too big to fit in alot of caves, saber isnt

both have saddles

thyla climbs like a beast

Exactly. The Thyla absolutely wrecks everything in there plus with a higher health pool and saddle I don't have to worry about it that much. 

I use a raptor or wolf for the artifact of the massive as well as grappling hooks. Sticking to a certain path only requires you to walk your dino on a zigzag path. Then you use hooks to get to the artifact....use wolves in the central cave. As far as the lower south cave use a thyla due to the meglo that spawn there...they will shred a wolf during the night. And I've heard carnos are best for swamp cave atm.

15 minutes ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

I use a raptor or wolf for the artifact of the massive as well as grappling hooks. Sticking to a certain path only requires you to walk your dino on a zigzag path. Then you use hooks to get to the artifact....use wolves in the central cave. As far as the lower south cave use a thyla due to the meglo that spawn there...they will shred a wolf during the night. And I've heard carnos are best for swamp cave atm.

Carno doesn't fit in the swamp cave, you'd have to breed and take the baby in. If you're going to go to that trouble, the Megatherium is the obvious choice.

Archived