Tacking The Island's Caves

Jkyle37

So I love the caves in the ark. But so far, I've only successfully tackled the lower south cave (hunter artifact)

I have been using 2 direwolves, but the next cave I'm attempting is a lava cave on the south east. I'm worried that my second wolf might fall and die, so I'd like to breed up a Dino i can take/ride in solo.

I'd also like to future-proof my selection. What mounts does everyone use in caves, and what caves have very unique encounters that call for a unique mount? The wiki is very lacking in this department.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't take rideable Dino's into the lava cave, they'll die. For that cave you want a large pack of dimorphs, and be armed to the teeth with rockets, shotgun shells, and rifle ammo. Also, soups and grapple hooks are a must have.

All the other caves except snow, I've been using my Hyenas lately. Breed a good pack and they're pretty OP.

That lava cave can be pretty dangerous.  Many times it is the lag that you experience inside that will do you in.  You can use a good wolf in there to take out most of the bats, spiders, scorpions, and dilos.  Another good mount for in there is the baryonyx.  I also like to take in a vulture with me.  They can be real lifesavers if you have a good one and can take out threats that are hard to hit or if you are off the mount and happen to get knocked out.  The problem is there are a couple of jumps that can be problematic on the mounts.  So I think it's best to pull what you can and kill it and draw any other mobs in your path to kill them too and then dismount and use grappling hooks to traverse the gaps were the artifact is located grab it and grappling hook back.

I've died more times from lag in there than from the mobs when I've been on a mount.  But even if you do happen to fall in the lava just have your grappling hook out when you make jumps because if you do fall you can just grapple out of there.

3 minutes ago, Samammo said:

In my opinion, a sabertooth is better than a wolf. Sabers have saddles which greatly reduce damage, which wolves don't have.

I am looking at breeding the kitty's, but the straight DPS of an imprinted alpha wolf vastly outdoes the saber. That method, however i have found really works best when you have 2+ players to ride the wolfs, as the AI is unreliable.

Just now, Jkyle37 said:

I actually just found and tamed a 120 hyena last night! Was considering that one as well

Oh dude I totally recommend it! I'm several generations in to breeding now and I can't believe the bonuses they get. It's insane!

My best pack one shots like everything!

I bring them in the caves, set them aggressive and follow. Lol.

3 minutes ago, Jkyle37 said:

I am looking at breeding the kitty's, but the straight DPS of an imprinted alpha wolf vastly outdoes the saber. That method, however i have found really works best when you have 2+ players to ride the wolfs, as the AI is unreliable.

The saber is still the better mount for caves. They fit through many spots the dire wolf doesn't. Plus that saddle.

7 minutes ago, Samammo said:

In my opinion, a sabertooth is better than a wolf. Sabers have saddles which greatly reduce damage, which wolves don't have.

From my experience the smaller cleave of the Sabertooth makes it a lot harder to kill bats, which are even more of an issue now that they give rabies. Wolves kill them so much easier, you can even kill bats behind you.

4 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Oh dude I totally recommend it! I'm several generations in to breeding now and I can't believe the bonuses they get. It's insane!

My best pack one shots like everything!

I bring them in the caves, set them aggressive and follow. Lol.

Heck yah. I'm guessing that the lava cave is a unique encounter, and the fear of your pets falling to their death is less present in the other dungeons.

1 minute ago, Aldor said:

From my experience the smaller cleave of the Sabertooth makes it a lot harder to kill bats, which are even more of an issue now that they give rabies. Wolves kill them so much easier, you can even kill bats behind you.

Yes, the one time i was able to team up with the wolves, we just blasted through anything that tried to fight us. We did die several times to rabies, which did slow down the expedition lol

Just now, electricblooz said:

I got about halfway through the lava cave on a very high level frog, but I don't think I 'd recommend it.  Frog's work well for the scorps and spiders, but you can only fight the bats in certain areas.  

That cave is bat crazy, it's all about the dimorphs in there. A good dimorph pack shreds bats.

2 minutes ago, electricblooz said:

I got about halfway through the lava cave on a very high level frog, but I don't think I 'd recommend it.  Frog's work well for the scorps and spiders, but you can only fight the bats in certain areas.  

I'm very sad that frogs are not breedable. I'd gladly make them my mount of choice if i could get that imprinting bonus.

Do you want to kill stuff or just get the artifact and some loot crates? I have small two foundation outposts outside of each cave and I just warp over and do the caves naked. I can get the artifacts from all the caves except the Swamp Cave. Granted I haven't actually bothered with the Swamp Cave. A tribemate and I went in a while ago and brought out a few dozen artifacts. Not worth it at the moment.

1 minute ago, Jkyle37 said:

Heck yah. I'm guessing that the lava cave is a unique encounter, and the fear of your pets falling to their death is less present in the other dungeons.

Yes, the one time i was able to team up with the wolves, we just blasted through anything that tried to fight us. We did die several times to rabies, which did slow down the expedition lol

Put it this way. A little over 2 years ago, the lava cave was my first Ark cave. It didn't go well, but it's still my favorite cave to date. Guns, grapple & Dimorphs for the win every time!

2 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

Do you want to kill stuff or just get the artifact and some loot crates? I have small two foundation outposts outside of each cave and I just warp over and do the caves naked. I can get the artifacts from all the caves except the Swamp Cave. Granted I haven't actually bothered with the Swamp Cave. A tribemate and I went in a while ago and brought out a few dozen artifacts. Not worth it at the moment.

Mostly just to run around killing stuff and grabbing loot. If i can get to the point i can full clear a cave, then i can grab the artifact anytime i feel the need.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Jkyle37 said:

For real?? They added it? That's great I missed that patch then.

had a really nice froggy too and...well...long story but it didnt get killed in a cave:)

if you are gonna breed them make like a 3x3 with railings for walls and do not put a ramp anywhere near the pen. the frog will find a way to ramp outta the water while you are walking it and instantly die lol

1 minute ago, Jkyle37 said:

The more i read, and more people i talk to, the more i realize I really need to start breeding like 10 kinds of dinos =P

Yup, breeding is where it's at! And yes frogs are breedable, and very OP a few generations in. Take them in the swamp cave when you've bred a good pair and you've got cementing paste for days!

1 minute ago, ThzNutz said:

had a really nice froggy too and...well...long story but it didnt get killed in a cave

if you are gonna breed them make like a 3x3 will rails for walls and do not put a ramp anywhere near the pen. the frog will find a way to ramp outta the water while you are walking it and instantly die lol

They have to be in the water to breed?

Archived