If you could choose one dino to start

carsonmatthies

1 minute ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

PVP I want off the ground ASAP so I can scout good hiding spots.

If I'm playing with other people, yeah...get me off the ground ASAP. Rolling solo though, I'm usually hiding at 75/43, 80/55, or 73/85 and my head won't pop above the treeline until I have at least a metal 3x3x3 with a couple turrets inside. Those places in the trees are usually avoided by bigger tribes because there's no room to build and there aren't any dinos or resources worth building near.

To be clear though, I use this strat for Island and Center...for Rag an Argie is a necessity early on.

Land creature: paracer, faster than bronto and more than large enough to not be bothered by troll creatures. Not too shabby at gathering berries either. I'd also say frog because i really hate making cement paste in the mortar&pestal.

Air: Pelagornis, for some reason I'm drawn too these little weak but majestic things lol. It's nice to have a flyer that can rest on water, and for me a high level 140 to 150 one is a pretty rare find so that's usually fun. I've seen more wild Ovis in my game than maxed Pelas. They are pretty quick too. itchyornis is a nice first pick too to turn dodos or parasaurs into prime meat. Lastly tapejara because who doesn't love all that manueverability.

Sea: i really don't go in the water much at all so the only water creatures I care about are dunkleostus and Basilosaur. Amphibians like the frog or spino suit my aquatic needs.

I'm partial to the bear as a first mount to be honest. Good carrying ability, decent speed once you get to full sprint, and can handle a lot of things on it's own. And you can wield weapons while riding it, so it's fairly good as a meat shield while you're taming something aggressive. (Like raptors or sabertooths or even argents, until they start to run away... but good positioning can help with that)

Argents or wyverns are great as well. Usually I end up with a couple argents with different purposes. (Cargo/Combat/Long distance travel)

Usually my early game is getting a stone house and yard set up first by hand (good for leveling) and then dodo/pteras. After that, it's whatever is useful for the area I'm in. I do have a fondness for spinos though...

Archived