ARK Community - stay real, lets get logical here

Anarki

OK, I have read the forums today and all I see are whining little kids. Seriously, have a think about it.

Yes, the game has gone 'live' but surely you had thought that there would be issues with the new servers. Its like Black Friday - where everyone at once is trying to get through shop doors to be the first ones to the 60" Flat screen TVs.

WC are a reactive company, they make changes, additions and announcements and then react to what we, the community say. Its how it is, and has been for 2 years - have none of you learnt?

There will be a mass of players and new players wanting to get on a new 'supported' server and get their 'prime' location. On PvP - those bases on prime locations can be taken from you by Alpha's at any time so don't worry too much about it today, just wait and be patient. You'll build your base later and more than likely lose it  anyway.

PvE - yes, there will be pillars bloody everywhere but people will leave the server if they dont like the other players and those locations will be available at some stage. Be patient.

Lets be more logical here, more servers will be made available once it is recognised how many active players there are looking for official servers. 

If people seriously expected 5000 new servers so you could all get a great pitch with no competition then you lacked any common sense. Just log in to your usual server, then try again every 30 mins or so. If you get lucky, get your pillars down quickly and then relax and play the game. 

For me, I wont spam myself to 50 within the first hrs play, Ill hopefully get on Ragnorok and hopefully have a little fun learning the lie of the land - jees, I may not even like the bloody map.

What I do know is that Ill be patient as I know there is a server out there with a decent set of people who I will enjoy playing with/against but Im not going to panic about it like a child with my first spot/zit.

Let WC get on with their jobs and wait it out... and remember, it's only a game - it's not real, or life or death.

Good luck all, lets hope for a truly fun experience with new servers, and possibly new players.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Anarki said:

OK, I have read the forums today and all I see are whining little kids. Seriously, have a think about it.

Yes, the game has gone 'live' but surely you had thought that there would be issues with the new servers. Its like Black Friday - where everyone at once is trying to get through shop doors to be the first ones to the 60" Flat screen TVs.

WC are a reactive company, they make changes, additions and announcements

KK, I stopped here, did you get paid for the message ?

19 minutes ago, Anarki said:

WC are a reactive company, they make changes, additions and announcements and then react to what we, the community say. Its how it is, and has been for 2 years - have none of you learnt?

There will be a mass of players and new players wanting to get on a new 'supported' server and get their 'prime' location. On PvP - those bases on prime locations can be taken from you by Alpha's at any time so don't worry too much about it today, just wait and be patient. You'll build your base later and more than likely lose it  anyway.

PvE - yes, there will be pillars bloody everywhere but people will leave the server if they dont like the other players and those locations will be available at some stage. Be patient.

Lets be more logical here, more servers will be made available once it is recognised how many active players there are looking for official servers. 

If people seriously expected 5000 new servers so you could all get a great pitch with no competition then you lacked any common sense. Just log in to your usual server, then try again every 30 mins or so. If you get lucky, get your pillars down quickly and then relax and play the game. 

For me, I wont spam myself to 50 within the first hrs play, Ill hopefully get on Ragnorok and hopefully have a little fun learning the lie of the land - jees, I may not even like the bloody map.

What I do know is that Ill be patient as I know there is a server out there with a decent set of people who I will enjoy playing with/against but Im not going to panic about it like a child with my first spot/zit.

Let WC get on with their jobs and wait it out... and remember, it's only a game - it's not real, or life or death.

Good luck all, lets hope for a truly fun experience with new servers, and possibly new players.

This is what I have been waiting for the White Knights return. So you are saying that WC had zero idea how popular their game is even though they delayed the release more than once? This team didn't have ANY servers up at launch. Take a breath and relax? That's what we were told after every delay and now that the main point of this game(multiplayer) completely out the window that ship has sailed. What would it take for you to hold this company accountable for their multiple mistakes? I really would like to know because so far even though you can't play on day one now going on two you still defend them why?

10 minutes ago, FraggleRock said:

Right. It's actually more entertaining to wait on the sidelines and take advantage when the opportunity presents itself. Too much to do in this game to get butt-hurt over small rudimentary issues. 

Small issue like no servers up at launch or now 24 hours later not being able to even bring up server list to find your rented servers that aren't up? Like those or am I missing something?

27 minutes ago, Anarki said:

For me, much of the dismay lies with just that - they continue to operate foolishly.  You'd think they would have learnt to think ahead in order to avoid problems by now.  Could have easily left many of the old "ghost" and low-pop servers alone, integrated them all, and not had any problems launching, for all the servers would be online - they were functioning perfectly before they brought them down.

if you truly think logically, you would see how this all could have and should have been avoided.  They're all big boys and girls, now, running a business, and should have by now the foresight to proceed in such a way as to prevent any troubles.  As owner of my own small business for the past ~six years, I cringe at the decisions they've been making recently.  Their saving graces are that they have for the most part a unique and interesting product to offer, semi-anonymity behind polite PR representatives, and a large enough pool of customers to be able to make terrible errors and retain some of them.  If I treated my clients like this, and arrived at every event wholly unprepared, I would currently be living in a homemade train of homeless wagons with my wife and child.  They'd be pretty sweet wagons, but that's beside the point.  But alas, for some, it is hard to see beyond only as far as eyes permit.

12 minutes ago, Bassplayer said:

Small issue like no servers up at launch or now 24 hours later not being able to even bring up server list to find your rented servers that aren't up? Like those or am I missing something?

Hmmm.. I am just now getting the download started so I am now aware of any server issue yet. I know there weren't any servers when I first logged in then up pops the update que. 

In my experience any problem I think I have, will be sorted out in good time. Frustrating for us in Ark because of the amount of risk involved. That's why we have friends in different time-zones though. 

its not even as if they haven't got the funds for it tbh

how many players did they say have purchased the game?

even if we take discounted offers, lets say £15 for base game and £15 for SE

£15 x 9mil declared player base...£135,000,000 or £1.35billion

DILO have they done with all that?! even taking into consideration advertising etc, there were no hard copies to produce

it would be very interesting in reviewing the companies balance sheets

1 minute ago, X111 said:

its not even as if they haven't got the funds for it tbh

how many players did they say have purchased the game?

even if we take discounted offers, lets say £15 for base game and £15 for SE

£15 x 9mil declared player base...£135,000,000 or £1.35billion

DILO have they done with all that?! even taking into consideration advertising etc, there were no hard copies to produce

i would be very interesting in reviewing the companies balance sheets

They got sued like a year ago and forced to pay 45M or something like that.

Alright, let's get "real and logical". I've defended WC, and I still stand by them. With that said, here's my opinion...

WC already had a soft release during the early access phase. They probably didn't expect the huge interest in their game so early on, and they were caught off guard which resulted in less servers than the player base demanded and capped servers for days/weeks. They eventually introduced more servers in order to meet demand. Again, this was just during the early access phase.

This is an official release, and they're as prepared as they were two-ish years ago during the early access release. WC expected an influx of players which is why they began killing off legacy servers in order to refresh them for the new players. Yet there aren't as many servers as the player base demands. They're either starting to pinch pennies when it comes to server costs, or learned nothing from their EA phase.

Being reactive during your early access phase is understandable; you're feeling out your player base, the interest your game is generating, and you're preparing for what the future holds. Being reactive during an official release? That's how you run players off of your game. That's how games die off. I was of the camp that anyone who purchased Ark for the first time yesterday would eventually be fine after a few hours of waiting. As it stands, if I didn't know any better and if I had purchased Ark for full price yesterday, I would be absolutely furious that the biggest attraction of their game isn't available to play and that I purchased a multiplayer game just to play its single player mode. How does that make any sense?

1. WC already knows the average amount of players they had prior to the games release.
  2. WC knows how many players pre-ordered their game.
  3. WC ultimately had a minimum number of total players that would be jumping on at launch.
  4. WC did the bare minimum while over-promising and under-delivering.

You're right that there will be more servers available eventually, but that's not what the concern is. For me, personally, it's unfortunate at how ill prepared WC is. They expected an influx of players, but did nothing to prepare for it. They expected their player base to grow more than it is, and again...did nothing to prepare for it. They knew exactly how many new players they were receiving, and how many old players they have. "Eventually" it'll get fixed, but that's not the problem.

Can't complain about all the servers being full, I play on PS4 which has had 0 servers for over 33 hours.  Logic says they F'd up.  But I do get that it is a game and am not going to waste my time being mad.  Anyone who has been playing this game through early access should have expected this. It is sad though that people are being told they basically have no right to expect good quality, or a working product, from items they purchased.  And that they are being unreasonable in wanting good customer service. 

You know whats so funny about this, the issue isn't being caused by the millions of new players jumping into the game for the first time no, its actually all the alpha tribes jumping into the new fresh servers wanting all those prime spots for themselves. By the time an actual new player gets into the game he/she will be faced with a world of pillars no trees no rocks no water supplies just miles of pillars and gated off beaches and no where to build. Lets be honest they may not be letting you bring your stuff or characters from Legacy but do you really think it will take an alpha tribe from start that long to own a new server. The game will be dead in a month.

3 hours ago, AngryGamer666 said:

You know whats so funny about this, the issue isn't being caused by the millions of new players jumping into the game for the first time no, its actually all the alpha tribes jumping into the new fresh servers wanting all those prime spots for themselves. By the time an actual new player gets into the game he/she will be faced with a world of pillars no trees no rocks no water supplies just miles of pillars and gated off beaches and no where to build. Lets be honest they may not be letting you bring your stuff or characters from Legacy but do you really think it will take an alpha tribe from start that long to own a new server. The game will be dead in a month.

Wise words.

Had the old servers been left alone and integrated with whatever new they added, alphas would not have any reason to 'release the hounds' in such a way.

It will take Uncle Ark some time to remove the large quantities of teeth from its behind.

Archived