ARK Community - stay real, lets get logical here

Anarki

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Love how the thread title says be logical, yet this thread is almost completely void of it. ?

That's the vocal ARK fan-base for you.  If I had a quid from over the past two years for every thread about ostensibly furious players threatening to quit, or complaining about delays in all caps...  Whilst the game is by no means infallible and WC has made some pretty hefty mistakes along the way, they're only human, and despite these mistakes and the controversies (SE, Flyer Nerf) they work tirelessly to appease an often unreasonable community.  I get people's annoyance with delays, I really do, but the snide comments on the devs' twitter pages, the angry threads about Wildcard being an awful company, and even the click-baity videos about ARK being dead, are seldom constructive and inexcusably thoughtless.  Just wish people would chill and realise, for the most part, they've got or will get what they've paid for.  Seriously, the amount of content is staggeringly wonderful compared to similarly priced games, and the advantage this game has over some other titles is that most of the additional content coming will be free!  There's a heart and soul to this game that resonates so obviously, not only through the game itself, but through the consistent interaction with community over the past two years.  Wildcard, for all its flaws, is full of actual people who want to create and perfect this game.  Real, living breathing people giving their souls to their magnum opus.  So it breaks my heart to see unconstructive and unabashedly rude criticism hurled at them as if they're nothing. I love this massive, endearingly messy and beautiful game, and I'm proud to be an utterly minuscule part of its story.  Peace out, fams, and think before you post x

2 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Love how the thread title says be logical, yet this thread is almost completely void of it. ?

It's even worse considering that most of the people regularly freaking out talk about how they have "completely lost faith" in Ark and Wildcard...yet continue to show up regurgitating the same rants over and over again.

"I'm done with this game developer! They're terrible and I'm not coming back to their stupid, horribly made game...except I'll be on their website every day complaining about all the new things that have changed because I'm still playing the game like a crack addict after 1,000+ hours. But the game sucks and isn't worth the money! Don't buy it!" 

30 minutes ago, StonefaceVimes said:

That's the vocal ARK fan-base for you.  If I had a quid from over the past two years for every thread about ostensibly furious players threatening to quit, or complaining about delays in all caps...  Whilst the game is by no means infallible and WC has made some pretty hefty mistakes along the way, they're only human, and despite these mistakes and the controversies (SE, Flyer Nerf) they work tirelessly to appease an often unreasonable community.  I get people's annoyance with delays, I really do, but the snide comments on the devs' twitter pages, the angry threads about Wildcard being an awful company, and even the click-baity videos about ARK being dead, are seldom constructive and inexcusably thoughtless.  Just wish people would chill and realise, for the most part, they've got or will get what they've paid for.  Seriously, the amount of content is staggeringly wonderful compared to similarly priced games, and the advantage this game has over some other titles is that most of the additional content coming will be free!  There's a heart and soul to this game that resonates so obviously, not only through the game itself, but through the consistent interaction with community over the past two years.  Wildcard, for all its flaws, is full of actual people who want to create and perfect this game.  Real, living breathing people giving their souls to their magnum opus.  So it breaks my heart to see unconstructive and unabashedly rude criticism hurled at them as if they're nothing. I love this massive, endearingly messy and beautiful game, and I'm proud to be an utterly minuscule part of its story.  Peace out, fams, and think before you post x

Yeah, I've got to agree. Twitter especially is the worst. I've called people out many times on there because of how they act.

The Devs have their flaws, and I'm no stranger to arguing with them in past. Thing is, I do it constructively, so they actually respond and listen to what I have to say. Shame others can't do the same.

They are human, and new to this, so some slack should be given. Even when someone has the right to be upset, that never excuses abusive behaviour.

They do care about this game and it's awesome or we all wouldn't be here. People should remember that.

2 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

It's even worse considering that most of the people regularly freaking out talk about how they have "completely lost faith" in Ark and Wildcard...yet continue to show up regurgitating the same rants over and over again.

"I'm done with this game developer! They're terrible and I'm not coming back to their stupid, horribly made game...except I'll be on their website every day complaining about all the new things that have changed because I'm still playing the game like a crack addict after 1,000+ hours. But the game sucks and isn't worth the money! Don't buy it!" 

LMFAO! Yup, couldn't describe them better.

9 hours ago, Bassplayer said:

This is what I have been waiting for the White Knights return. So you are saying that WC had zero idea how popular their game is even though they delayed the release more than once? This team didn't have ANY servers up at launch. Take a breath and relax? That's what we were told after every delay and now that the main point of this game(multiplayer) completely out the window that ship has sailed. What would it take for you to hold this company accountable for their multiple mistakes? I really would like to know because so far even though you can't play on day one now going on two you still defend them why?

Because patience is a virtue, and everyone needs grace. Even you. 

And like I teach my children, don't cry over spilled milk. We get upset over things that matter. Waiting an extra day or two or week is not a big deal at all. Period. 

So some choose to conduct themselves with grace and forgiveness and others grab their pitchforks and torches. I will be standing on the side that keeps things in perspective. 

53 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

i havent logged in since they announced the kill list.

never expected my pvp server to be on it we had 50% population at peak times and 25% 22+hours of the day.

im not confident they wont just wipe any efforts i put in anymore.. didnt all the old servers get rolled back a full 3 days just before launch?

what happened with the legacy servers that were connected to the new cluster(s) and people transfering old dinos and stuff to new architecture? did that get proven/refuted?

great game but absolutely zero faith in WC or what they say right now. 

32 minutes ago, LittleRedReaper said:

I think a lot of people, like myself, are just on edge about everything honestly. There are a lot of things that will be figured out in weeks to come, I am sure, but hey, they did hype the sh*t out of this release. So, we are hyped lol...

Totally. And with good reasons. Some people have lots to be upset about, but in my opinion we need to respond well. Same as with anything in life that's disappointing. 

And we can't be that surprised that there are hiccups and some challenges can we? 

1 hour ago, LittleRedReaper said:

I think a lot of people, like myself, are just on edge about everything honestly. There are a lot of things that will be figured out in weeks to come, I am sure, but hey, they did hype the sh*t out of this release. So, we are hyped lol...

There is only a one time fee for your milk not only did we pay for this game but a DLC before release and a lot of us also pay for a server that we can't even get to. Spilled milk?.....this is a company that has repeatedly missed ETAs in EA but that is forgivable but as soon as his game dropped yesterday this give them small team/EA stuff went out the window. Yesterday was the time to put up of shut up and since they definitely made their day one into a dumpster fire of a release all this negative feelings are justified and until the actually fix these MAJOR issues it should keep coming. 

13 minutes ago, Jtmorris said:

Totally. And with good reasons.

Some people have lots to be upset about

we can't be that surprised that there are hiccups and some challenges can we? 

of course we cant be upset about challenges and failures when things go wrong, this is the real world and poop happens.

the reason people are so dissatisfied is the "say one thing and do another" methodology WC uses:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what they said "every effort will be made to preserve servers with human activity and only 10% of servers overall need to be wiped"

what actually happend: even servers with good populations were canned and they got rid of nearly half the pc servers, you remember PC? the platform that bought the EA before all the effort was spent on making cut-down versions for the consoles? i actually feel sorry for people trying to play this on a console.. it runs like crap even on high end PCs, its easy to see how the current gen consoles were running out of ram and why the game had to be cut down so much with tribe limits, raft limits,server limits and now platform saddle limits in order to try and minimize the amount of stuff being drawn onscreen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what they said "legacy servers will recieve full support"

what they did: cancelled ALL customer support for legacy servers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what they said: "buy our EA product and try it now. you will own the game at launch and all the new features and systems we are developing"<-- (this is what EA means)

what they did: split their efforts into several streams with only a portion of the company's work during EA being added to the base game (the Center map and new dinos/items/etc) while other features like every SE exclusive item/engram etc and the entire new DLC which is going to be launched friday were created during EA yet will be locked behind a paywall.

thats correct, 2 entire expansions developed DURING THE EARLY ACCESS PERIOD will be locked behind a paywall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what they said "we fixed this bug that has been in the game right from the start and is breaking key basic mechanics"

what they did: nothing.

what they said" ok ok this time we REALLY fixed that bug that has been in the game right from the start and is breaking key basic mechanics"

what they did: nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anybody who has played for a while starts to notice a pattern and eventually people start losing faith.

why would you add a robotic helmet for sharks to your game when basic mechanics like mating 2 of your tame dinosaurs still doesnt work properly years later?

can i just end this on a positive note though, not too long before the ark community basically got cancelled there was a random update which introduced the option to "disable ally looking" on your tame dinosaurs. This corrected one of the single worst things about the ark experience which was having your tame dinos "look" at you when you went near them. it mightnt have seemed like a big deal but trying to move around your base with large dinosaurs pinning you to the ground/walls/other dinos and holding you there for a period of time was punishing in the extreme. i have focused on the some of the worst negatives and i know it seems small but IMO this change was easily one of the best quality of life changes anybody at Wildcard ever made.

find the person who realized what a problem this was/fixed the problem and send them out wildcard... we need to shower him/her with praise

11 hours ago, Irk said:

Alright, let's get "real and logical". I've defended WC, and I still stand by them. With that said, here's my opinion...

WC already had a soft release during the early access phase. They probably didn't expect the huge interest in their game so early on, and they were caught off guard which resulted in less servers than the player base demanded and capped servers for days/weeks. They eventually introduced more servers in order to meet demand. Again, this was just during the early access phase.

This is an official release, and they're as prepared as they were two-ish years ago during the early access release. WC expected an influx of players which is why they began killing off legacy servers in order to refresh them for the new players. Yet there aren't as many servers as the player base demands. They're either starting to pinch pennies when it comes to server costs, or learned nothing from their EA phase.

Being reactive during your early access phase is understandable; you're feeling out your player base, the interest your game is generating, and you're preparing for what the future holds. Being reactive during an official release? That's how you run players off of your game. That's how games die off. I was of the camp that anyone who purchased Ark for the first time yesterday would eventually be fine after a few hours of waiting. As it stands, if I didn't know any better and if I had purchased Ark for full price yesterday, I would be absolutely furious that the biggest attraction of their game isn't available to play and that I purchased a multiplayer game just to play its single player mode. How does that make any sense?

1. WC already knows the average amount of players they had prior to the games release.
  2. WC knows how many players pre-ordered their game.
  3. WC ultimately had a minimum number of total players that would be jumping on at launch.
  4. WC did the bare minimum while over-promising and under-delivering.

You're right that there will be more servers available eventually, but that's not what the concern is. For me, personally, it's unfortunate at how ill prepared WC is. They expected an influx of players, but did nothing to prepare for it. They expected their player base to grow more than it is, and again...did nothing to prepare for it. They knew exactly how many new players they were receiving, and how many old players they have. "Eventually" it'll get fixed, but that's not the problem.

Lets talk about this real quick. WC only has the players that they have right now, console players at least, because they are the only game of their kind available on console. If there were any other game like Ark available on console most people I believe would leave Ark in the dust. I say this because WC has proven time and time again that they do not care about their player base. Having an "official" release and still not being able to have enough servers to cover the people that have played since it came out to console is pathetic. I like many people probably on the forums here have played since its been released. How is our loyalty and love of the game rewarded? A release where we can't even get on the majority of servers. WC is almost like the developers of No Mans Sky, promise all these glorious things but can hardly deliver.

Starting to wonder if all the great minds at Hello Games quit and came over to Wildcard. It would certainly explain all the failure and the oblivious nature to what the fans what. The forums are on fire with paying customers who cant play the game and meanwhile, you got Stieglitz on twitter talking about a special surprise like a giddy little school girl. HOW does a company keep blatantly ignoring the issues? Also, we never did get to find out what the surprise was, lol another missed ETA by wildcard. GG wc, enjoy my money

16 minutes ago, Joanna said:

Logical??  Is it logical to desupport all legacy servers and then not release any new PC EU PVE The Centre servers?  I think not.

Well you may not think so, but I see why they're doing it. It actually is logical... Is it the smartest way of doing it, nope, but it aligns with their goals.

2 minutes ago, CaptainRS3 said:

Lets talk about this real quick. WC only has the players that they have right now, console players at least, because they are the only game of their kind available on console. If there were any other game like Ark available on console most people I believe would leave Ark in the dust. I say this because WC has proven time and time again that they do not care about their player base. Having an "official" release and still not being able to have enough servers to cover the people that have played since it came out to console is pathetic. I like many people probably on the forums here have played since its been released. How is our loyalty and love of the game rewarded? A release where we can't even get on the majority of servers. WC is almost like the developers of No Mans Sky, promise all these glorious things but can hardly deliver.

You know in a couple of weeks all this will be over and it'll be back to everyone complaining about whatever they're doing at that time right?

I'll tell you what is not logical, constantly wasting your energy complaining about things you can't change when the people that can change it won't.

Just now, HalfSlabBacon said:

Well you may not think so, but I see why they're doing it. It actually is logical... Is it the smartest way of doing it, nope, but it aligns with their goals.

You know in a couple of weeks all this will be over and it'll be back to everyone complaining about whatever they're doing at that time right?

I'll tell you what is not logical, constantly wasting your energy complaining about things you can't change when the people that can change it won't.

So their goal is to kill off EU PVE The Centre servers??  Not provide any supported servers for people to move to?

Just now, Joanna said:

So their goal is to kill off EU PVE The Centre servers??  Not provide any supported servers for people to move to?

Actually, their goal is to change the expense of the server load with the direction they're taking the game... The Center is old had, the volume is all Rag right now. That is, until the new dlc comes out, then it will be that. So where do you think they want to spend their server dollars???

It's just business.

Just now, HalfSlabBacon said:

Actually, their goal is to change the expense of the server load with the direction they're taking the game... The Center is old had, the volume is all Rag right now. That is, until the new dlc comes out, then it will be that. So where do you think they want to spend their server dollars???

It's just business.

This may be the case, but it would be nice to notified of these decisions so we can make informed choices about what game mode, map, etc we would like to commit to.  Leaving all the information floating in the air so rumour, frustration, etc develop helps no one.  Not even Wildcard.

1 minute ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

You say this but look at this in a general perspective. If WC would refund everyone the money they have spent on this game when they have asked for it then they would no longer have a studio capable of producing games/fixing this one. I have spent a total of $50 on Ark (Game Preview + Scorched Earth DLC). There are so many other games I could have purchased for $50 that have dev's that actually care about their player base and listen to them. Ark's Dev team basically spits on everything anyone wants fixed and says, "Haha here is some useless stuff we are adding to the game for you guys to forget about the huge bugs and mistakes we have made as a Dev team." You tell me how would you feel if you paid some $50 for a service where you expect their best effort and they put in maybe 25% effort - 30% effort at best?

2 minutes ago, Joanna said:

This may be the case, but it would be nice to notified of these decisions so we can make informed choices about what game mode, map, etc we would like to commit to.  Leaving all the information floating in the air so rumour, frustration, etc develop helps no one.  Not even Wildcard.

Would you share all your business decisions with all your customers if they acted like most do here? I personally don't share most of mine even with the ones I trust, it's none of their GD business, it's mine.

1 minute ago, CaptainRS3 said:

You say this but look at this in a general perspective. If WC would refund everyone the money they have spent on this game when they have asked for it then they would no longer have a studio capable of producing games/fixing this one. I have spent a total of $50 on Ark (Game Preview + Scorched Earth DLC). There are so many other games I could have purchased for $50 that have dev's that actually care about their player base and listen to them. Ark's Dev team basically spits on everything anyone wants fixed and says, "Haha here is some useless stuff we are adding to the game for you guys to forget about the huge bugs and mistakes we have made as a Dev team." You tell me how would you feel if you paid some $50 for a service where you expect their best effort and they put in maybe 25% effort - 30% effort at best?

LMFAO! Ahh dude, if I spend $50 on something and it turns out to be a bad decision, I learn from it and move on. It's not worth the effort doing anything more. You're talking about the price of a case of beer or a couple pizzas... Who cares?

Also, you clearly have no idea what effort they do put in, or what effort it takes to run a business like theirs. Perhaps you should consider that you may lack the information to make the judgments you are making. 

1 minute ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

LMFAO! Ahh dude, if I spend $50 on something and it turns out to be a bad decision, I learn from it and move on. It's not worth the effort doing anything more. You're talking about the price of a case of beer or a couple pizzas... Who cares?

Also, you clearly have no idea what effort they do put in, or what effort it takes to run a business like theirs. Perhaps you should consider that you may lack the information to make the judgments you are making. 

A case of beer and a few pizza's will at least leave me pleased. Ark on the other hand has not. What am I getting out of this right now is that all you can do is kiss up to WC thinking you'll get something out of it. You seem to be the type of person that would sit back and let people walk all over you. If I wanted false promises I would have gotten No Mans Sky when it first came out. Even then No Mans Sky has made more improvements to their game then WC ever has with Ark. WC leaves the bugs in the game while Hello Games made great strides to improve their game. They also did it with a very very toxic feedback. But what did they do? Oh yeah! They listened to their community and improved on their game so much that it is basically unrecognizable from the game that was originally released.

In short summary here is how this goes, WC only in it for the money while not giving two about fixing their game.

12 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

You know what, I'll take your advice. I'll grab some beers, order a pizza, and wait. Looks like I'll just play on an Island server for a bit until Rag has some open space.

Archived