Is Solo PvP even possible?

Pappy

49 minutes ago, Mikessnow said:

Just dropping into to your guys conversation here but "haven't grasped the basics of building up quickly and efficiently.", I certainly have and makes no bit of difference, I've constantly tested builds offline, used cheats to fly around the map to find the best locations and by doing this I've realised how bad the map actually is and how much you're at a disadvantage as a solo player. 2 people as efficient as you will do double, that's just the way it is in any game but on top of that get extra shared exp, like why? The devs are idiots and incompetent. They have sold millions of copies at full price along with plenty of expansions and the game is no where near it's full potential and is just a cash grab, now they've moved onto Atlas which is practically Ark with pirates. There's so many glaring issues with the game and when people get pissed and write on a forum they are met with idiots who are like "just another trash post", yes, exactly, another trash post because that's what people relate with in this game.

Devs from other companies that I respect have recently said they love feedback, ANY feedback and they genuinely take the trash talk on board because they understand these people are the most passionate about the game and want change for the better and they want there game to be better and don't charge you full price plus however many expansion before the game is even acceptable to move forward.

Full heartedly agree with you here. I was approaching as a solo player for the topic but you're correct. Solo is and always will be at a disadvantage. To be clear i'm absolutely fine with that. I try to go easy on the devs, but as time passes Im slowly losing more faith. Some of their changes have really made me question if they understand the current meta in their game.

I think that's just it though. They approach their game from the mindset that we are playing with a group of friends and forget that in our world its a brutal kill or be killed struggle. They add content in their game based off of what's fun, but not what is practical. They have no idea what it takes to survive in an official server like we do. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, iHartOvi8 said:

It very much depends on how you want to play.  It certainly isn't for me because, as others have mostly covered, you're never going to be a player that's accomplished much.  You'll never be doing boss fights or getting great tames unless maybe you're able to steal a cryofridge and a pretty good amount of cryopods at some point and then pray that if one of your bases gets found and raided, it's not that one.  The only way you can ever hope for this to not be a ridiculous long shot is through alliances and I just would never want to depend that much on other tribes knowing that the only thing keeping me from losing everything is that they haven't decided they want me to.

I suppose you also could do solo PVP for a while and then eventually start playing in PVE or in a tribe if the whole "never accomplish a whole lot" aspect sounds unappealing to you, but at that point you're really gonna be wasting some time by doing solo PVP first.  Sure you can get a lot accomplished without that many hours if you grind hard but I don't know...  It's fun to just take it easy and just have a little fun and it's fun to grind hard towards goals and accomplish those goals, but I don't think it's very fun to just absolutely do 100% one or the other.  I know people with 4x my hours who haven't accomplished half of what I have and I also know that if had used my time more efficiently at times I could've accomplished just as much in probably half to 3/4 of my hours, but neither of those sound as fun to me as the way I've played.

If you want to be able to make a lot of actual progress, I wouldn't waste my time with the solo PVP stuff.  Putting that time in to getting somewhere solo PVE or in a PVP tribe will amount to a lot more fun in my opinion... But again, it all comes back to how you want to play.  I'd be curious to know if some of these people that say how much they love solo PVP ever have otherwise accomplished the things they acknowledge that you have to accept as likely out of reach, because I used to think of those things as something I don't care about getting done and can have fun without, but now that I've done them I can't imagine playing that way.

I get what you mean, I joined a tribe once in pvp apocalypse and beat the se boss, not done any other bosses without cheating but it honestly doesn't interest me. The fight was fun but all I really wanted was to get tek and that wasn't going to happen. The caves and artifacts for one and the tasks you have to do to get to that stage is boring. The se caves were ok but some of the loot was bugged and you cant access it.

I'd prefer good, balanced PvP, no massive tribes, 5 man at most, improved maps, remove giga and tek dinos along with some other ridiculous things. I'd still play solo because the more I've played with other people the more I realise I just want to do my own thing and be immersed in what I'm doing.

3 minutes ago, Mikessnow said:

I get what you mean, I joined a tribe once in pvp apocalypse and beat the se boss, not done any other bosses without cheating but it honestly doesn't interest me. The caves and artifacts for one and the tasks you have to do to get to that stage is boring. I'd prefer good, balanced PvP, no massive tribes, 5 man at most, improved maps, remove giga and tek dinos along with some other ridiculous things. I'd still play solo because the more I've played with other people the more I realise I want to do my own thing and be immersed in what I'm doing.

I agree on the part as far as playing solo.  I like things a certain way in my base, I like doing what I want and not having to make sure I'm pulling my weight without pulling too much weight and letting tribemates be lazy, I like knowing that if I lose something valuable because of a stupid mistake it'll be my own stupid mistake and not something I couldn't prevent and that's gonna get me pissed off at a tribemate/friend.

The boss fights part I would've agreed a while back, but then my old server got a great network of public teleporters set up and that was the big thing that made me want to get to that point instead of being satisfied with just having fun building, taming, and buying things.  Now, a ton of boss fights later, I can't imagine going back to playing that way for hundreds of hours... But I know people who have played that way for thousands.

PvE will only teach you so much, sure you will learn game basics and stuff about items crafting etc. but nothing will prepare you for other players in PvP better than jumping right in and letting yourself fail. It is the only way to learn how to deal with it. When I first got Ark I started on official pvp without knowing a dam thing about the game. I forced myself to stick it out no matter how many times I got raided rekt and set back to the  starting line. In time I learnt and also found many players who ended up teaching me a lot about the game. Not everyone in PvP is an aggressive terror ready to take advantage of you at any moment, but it helps assuming that everyone is like that until they prove otherwise to you. So my advice is jump right in and swim around, let yourself fail, try new things, ask others in game for advice, and most importantly dont get attached. The biggest mistakes players make is not seeing their stuff as temporary. They get so upset when someone raids them and it just makes them want to quite. 

Getting raided is pretty much inevitable and it happens to everyone, learn to accept this and embrace it. Learn to enjoy the early startup phase as you will be getting blown back there a lot. If you manage to see each set back as a learning experience and each failure as a step closer towards being an experienced player then you will be untouchable, your skin will harden your mind will sharpen and your game sense will be on point. It takes some time and it takes some persistence but if you stick it out you will thank me. It's all about mindset :)

1 hour ago, HoboNation said:

PvE will only teach you so much, sure you will learn game basics and stuff about items crafting etc. but nothing will prepare you for other players in PvP better than jumping right in and letting yourself fail. It is the only way to learn how to deal with it. When I first got Ark I started on official pvp without knowing a dam thing about the game. I forced myself to stick it out no matter how many times I got raided rekt and set back to the  starting line. In time I learnt and also found many players who ended up teaching me a lot about the game. Not everyone in PvP is an aggressive terror ready to take advantage of you at any moment, but it helps assuming that everyone is like that until they prove otherwise to you. So my advice is jump right in and swim around, let yourself fail, try new things, ask others in game for advice, and most importantly dont get attached. The biggest mistakes players make is not seeing their stuff as temporary. They get so upset when someone raids them and it just makes them want to quite. 

Getting raided is pretty much inevitable and it happens to everyone, learn to accept this and embrace it. Learn to enjoy the early startup phase as you will be getting blown back there a lot. If you manage to see each set back as a learning experience and each failure as a step closer towards being an experienced player then you will be untouchable, your skin will harden your mind will sharpen and your game sense will be on point. It takes some time and it takes some persistence but if you stick it out you will thank me. It's all about mindset :)

One of the finest posts I have read on the forum with regards to this subject. Well done.

You make a very good point there about attachment. I see it all too often among newer/Cross over PVE players they'll spend weeks building a big luxurious base full of dinos even though there is only a handful of them in that tribe. Then you raid them and slaughter all their tames its all over they all cry and bitch in global about "toxic/griefer" players then quit. I've seen this happen so many times and personally I think it comes down to several factors. The first is attachment and not building within your means. What I mean by that is if you are just 2 players in your tribe there is no point trying to build some giant base. No matter how thick you make the walls you still ain't going to stop a large tribe when they hit you. You would be far better off in this situation building a bunch of smaller reasonably hidden bases around the map to spread out your wealth and minimize any losses from raiding.

The other factor is mentality. A lot of players go onto ARK Official Servers and have either played PVE or come from other games or private servers with "rules" and seem to have this expectation that players will play a certain way and that there is some kind of invisible set of rules. How many times have you seen someone type in chat "Why did you raid me for? I didn't do anything". Plenty I am sure.

A lot of newer players seem to think other players will be mostly friendly or neutral towards them if they are likewise. That kind of PVE mentality is completely false for PVP. In PVP you must learn to trust no one, neither your neighbour or your allies. Either one could turn on you at a moments notice or when it is most opportune. I have done it many times. I've backstabbed my allies, I've chosen to not help them when they were fighting a much stronger tribe, I've made pacts with the enemy of our alliance, I've lured my allies into a war while not getting my own tribe involved and then profiting while the others wiped each other out. This is a very dynamic game and there a lot of ways to play it.

The last factor I would say is social engineering/diplomacy. A lot of players seem to fail to realise that even on a PVP server you can do pretty well for yourself just by manipulating other players to your will often without actually needing to fight them. This can be to secure alliances for instance I've aggressively raided with an alt several tribes that at first weren't keen on an alliance. After the raids they were so weak and looking for protection they didn't refuse. In another case I was caged by a big French tribe on a server I was raiding. I made out to them that I was part of a larger mega tribe (having the same tribe name helped a lot :) ). As a result they let me walk and even gave me back all my gear. Very generous.

Finally you can even defuse situations with a bit of quick thinking. On one particular server my base came under attack from the big Chinese mega tribe that lived on it. Bloody Marie/CG they were called. They had it completely surrounded and you'd open the door and get shot at. There was only 2 of us online at the time so there was no way we were going to win the fight. Our options were to dump everything and then try and make it costly to them a sort of scorched earth policy or try and do a deal. I chose diplomacy.

I opened google translate in the steam browser and began to chat to them in Chinese. They stated in more or less broken English that that they were here to wipe us, we'd grown too big they said. OK I replied but why not let us live and we will help guard the server. We can even give you some blueprints. After about another 10 minutes of back and forth talking I slowly pacified them and eventually worked out an alliance where we couldn't have more then 50 turrets on our base. That alliance lasted for about 3 months before we decided to merge completely with them.

12 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I've backstabbed my allies, I've chosen to not help them when they were fighting a much stronger tribe, I've made pacts with the enemy of our alliance, I've lured my allies into a war while not getting my own tribe involved and then profiting while the others wiped each other out. This is a very dynamic game and there a lot of ways to play it.

You are a true piece of degenerate filth. Yes, I am insulting you and i don’t care. Even if the mods remove this comment, i bet they agree with me 100%. This world needs to be cleansed of people like you.

This isn’t a video game situation either, there are real people behind these screens and your actions in game are indicative of something seriously wrong with your mental health. You aren’t some prepubescent squeaker but an actual adult and this worries me. 

In a real life survival scenario i would take immense pleasure in hunting your kind down. Because i’m certain you’re an evil sociopath who would take advantage of everything, as shown by your admittance to enjoy manipulating people. The classic trait of sociopathy. I mean, seriously? What the hell kind of person enjoys that?

I bet you’re an administrator in a major city police department, fits right in ;) 

Archived