Is Solo PvP even possible?

Pappy

2 minutes ago, JAG219 said:

Very true, try to find low population servers. If possible...

Unfortunately there is none, except for maybe some SE servers.. I started on a Center server and made good progress. Managed to get to around lvl 35 in a 12 hour session. Solo that is ofc. That was Saturday, since then I havent been able to log on. So no use for me to even try anymore on that server. And not any other ones either since all is full.

WC is probably hoping to cash in on the new DLC and are ignoring the core game. I personally will not put another cent their way. Great idea, great concept, miserable handling.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ShinDude said:

Unfortunately there is none, except for maybe some SE servers.. I started on a Center server and made good progress. Managed to get to around lvl 35 in a 12 hour session. Solo that is ofc. That was Saturday, since then I havent been able to log on. So no use for me to even try anymore on that server. And not any other ones either since all is full.

WC is probably hoping to cash in on the new DLC and are ignoring the core game. I personally will not put another cent their way. Great idea, great concept, miserable handling.

Yeah the one I'm on is the island and it was the only one I can get into but the population seemed to drop so it's nice now. I still get stuck in joining session sometimes it there's a few ways around it I guess

8 hours ago, Fifakingz2580 said:

Hi mate.  Are you playing on PC or console? If PC then you could get 'Bush people' mod and practice with that...  Or come join my server if your on PC (if your interested I can give you details).

I'm on Xbox, but thank you. Thanks all for the tips. I'm ok with dying over and over, used to it from starting on SE lol, so I think I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work put ill try again once I have a little more experience.

A buddy of mine did the same thing for all his gaming. I wouldn't mind getting a gaming pc again. Had one a long time ago but nothing like the ones out now. Biggest thing is almost all the people I play with are strictly xbox so it makes sense to stay for now. Ill get one some time though. Been wanting to ever since I saw the mods on games like Skyrim and now Ark

• 2 weeks later...

It's a big no in my opinion. The only thing a solo player or small tribe can 100% count on in official pvp is that no matter how hidden you think you are, you will be found and wiped out before you ever build up enough to even remotely experience any success in the game. 

Especially as soon as you go for any decent size tames you will be found. I mean, if you wanna stay small and have a couple smaller tames and just mess around pvping, go for it. But don't ever expect to have anything more than a shack of a base with a few tames 

5 minutes ago, Assisted said:

It's a big no in my opinion. The only thing a solo player or small tribe can 100% count on in official pvp is that no matter how hidden you think you are, you will be found and wiped out before you ever build up enough to even remotely experience any success in the game. 

Especially as soon as you go for any decent size tames you will be found. I mean, if you wanna stay small and have a couple smaller tames and just mess around pvping, go for it. But don't ever expect to have anything more than a shack of a base with a few tames 

Tames arent required. Being solo is the best, no one raids double/triple walled 1x1s

• 10 months later...

You can't play this game solo and get far but youtube will tell you otherwise with there clearly set up bs and lies that doesn't work in any official format unless the server is dead in which case you won't really be playing pvp but more of a relaxed when I'm I going to die. This game hasn't been made for solo players, I wouldn't recommend it at all. Look above for optimism and sugar coated old man experience.

On 8/30/2017 at 12:17 AM, Pappy said:

Ok, so I'm new to,the game but have been really getting into it. I'm on a pve primitive server but with everything that was just released I plan on starting over on a new server. I play solo, which on PvE isn't an issue. I kinda want to try PvP and get the full experience, but I'm afraid as a solo casual player I would be wiped out constantly. Just wondering if anyone else has attempted this? From the looks of it, I need to either stick to PvE, or join a large tribe if I want to try PvP

I don't know why, but it won't let me reply on this thread anymore. Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm currently getting a little more practice in PvE, but plan on watching a few videos and starting a PvP character this weekend. Thanks again

Solo and even small PVP tribes aren’t about the thought of gaining a permanent hold, it’s about doing as much damage as possible and engaging in as much Combat gameplay as possible before you get discovered.  

You just can’t expect to survive without having somebody on permanently to guard your base, and even then, big tribes will just overwhelm you with numbers.

I don’t play ARK PvP anymore, but I do play RUST in small stints with a small group that includes my brother.  The key is to stay hidden as long as possible to avoid the inevitable offline raid the local Zergs will eventually hit you with.  We would gernerally pick a spot on the map that has a hostile environment like the tundra, make a hidden base in dense foliage or rocks and practice hit and run tactics on larger groups.  When you are in a harsh environment you have less chances of nakeds stumbling across your base since the environment kills them.

make peace with the fact that you will lose everything once you get found out, and never run in the direction of your base, if you get trailed to your base your run on the map is over.  Sacrificing equipment is better than sacrificing your entire base, run to some water and kill yourself.  Make a habit of using cheap low tek weapons too, so it’s not too much of a hit when you get killed.

The alternative to all of this is sucking up to a Zerg, in which case you basically become their slave and aren’t really solo anymore.

• 4 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, Pappy said:

Ok, so I'm new to,the game but have been really getting into it. I'm on a pve primitive server but with everything that was just released I plan on starting over on a new server. I play solo, which on PvE isn't an issue. I kinda want to try PvP and get the full experience, but I'm afraid as a solo casual player I would be wiped out constantly. Just wondering if anyone else has attempted this? From the looks of it, I need to either stick to PvE, or join a large tribe if I want to try PvP

I don't know why, but it won't let me reply on this thread anymore. Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm currently getting a little more practice in PvE, but plan on watching a few videos and starting a PvP character this weekend. Thanks again

My advice to someone that is new to PVP would be that even if you want to play solo I would instead recommend you join some kind of tribe. By joining an established tribe you will learn certain tricks and the best ways to do stuff that you won't find written in the manual.

Spend a few weeks in there, learn all the basics and then when you are ready to depart make your move. Wait till most of the players are asleep/offline then nick their best stuff and their best tames and then transfer it to another server. They'll be angry with you sure but since your on another server finding you will be difficult especially if you avoid talking in global and use a 123 steam name. 

From there on in you'll want to spread out your stuff in very small multiple bases. In terms of dinos only tame the most essential ones Anklo, Doed and a Therizino. You can also tame tank dinos like Stegos if you are going to raid well defended bases but avoid really big stuff like T-Rex, Brontos and so forth. They can't be easily hidden and will attract attention.

On 9/6/2017 at 6:07 PM, TuxedoSpartan said:

Solo PvP is the most exciting version of PvP in my opinion. You have build small, smart, and simple. Dying isn't a problem if you play smart. You have to raid smart. Search KISHKO on youtube. He is a pretty good solo PvP'er.

Yeah right! i up this topic (the most view ) like smalltribe this year, i hope WC, do a new type : Solo / No tribe.

• 2 months later...
Just now, Giganotossauro said:

Dont play pve to train,this is dogpoop.i play this game since the release on pc,i really appreciated,but since the start i never played pve,learned all i know on pvp.can be very hard,but with the time,you ll be someone that almost no one can stand against ?

With manas this dont happen,they are just OP

On 12/23/2018 at 6:56 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

My advice to someone that is new to PVP would be that even if you want to play solo I would instead recommend you join some kind of tribe. By joining an established tribe you will learn certain tricks and the best ways to do stuff that you won't find written in the manual.

Spend a few weeks in there, learn all the basics and then when you are ready to depart make your move. Wait till most of the players are asleep/offline then nick their best stuff and their best tames and then head to transfer it to another server. They'll be angry with you sure but since your on another server finding you will be difficult especially if you avoid talking in global and use a 123 steam name. 

From there on in you'll want to spread out your stuff in very small multiple bases. In terms of dinos only tame the most essential ones Anklo, Doed and a Therizino. You can also tame tank dinos like Stegos if you are going to raid well defended bases but avoid really big stuff like T-Rex, Brontos and so forth. They can't be easily hidden and will attract attention.

Dont do that,this is for bobs who cant take their own tame,and also its toxic.dont hear this ass hole,people like them just ruin our community ?

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:17 AM, Giganotossauro said:

Dont do that,this is for bobs who cant take their own tame,and also its toxic.dont hear this ass hole,people like them just ruin our community ?

"Toxic" lol. I'm surprised you didn't throw in griefer in there somewhere.

The strategy I outlined is a valid and logical strategy to take if you are an ambitious PVP player making their start in the world. If I am going to leave a tribe its normally because I've seen greener pasture elsewhere. If I have been in the tribe for a week or two then its perfectly fine to borrow some gear/tames, its not like you are robbing your friends these are a bunch of strangers you have just met.

11 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

The strategy I outlined is a valid and logical strategy to take if you are an ambitious PVP player making their start in the world. If I am going to leave a tribe its normally because I've seen greener pasture elsewhere. If I have been in the tribe for a week or two then its perfectly fine to borrow some gear/tames, its not like you are robbing your friends these are a bunch of strangers you have just met.

In pvp everything goes so I wont judge your tactics. In my time playing ark I've met a few players like you but eventually their resources run out, they get raided etc...and then they quit because they haven't grasped the basics of how to build up quickly and efficiently on their own. 

11 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Come on, dude. Every post you make has been met with criticism. If all of these people hate the way you do things, and you’re the only one who agrees with you..shouldn’t that be indicative of maybe, just maybe..YOU are the one in the wrong?

You can say it’s allowed all you want to, but the community has made it their own universal rule that people like you are bad news and should continuously be hunted..therefore making it the actual rule because devs are useless scum. Absolutely wiping everyone’s tames is just plain evil after spending 14 days raising it. What makes you even WORSE is that you just admitted to prefer offline wiping.

I’m perfectly content with knowing you’ll only have a 2x2 as your largest base. Hide in the dirt like all of the other slimy worms :) 

1 hour ago, Logan96 said:

In pvp everything goes so I wont judge your tactics. In my time playing ark I've met a few players like you but eventually their resources run out, they get raided etc...and then they quit because they haven't grasped the basics of how to build up quickly and efficiently on their own. 

Just dropping into to your guys conversation here but "haven't grasped the basics of building up quickly and efficiently.", I certainly have and makes no bit of difference, I've constantly tested builds offline, used cheats to fly around the map to find the best locations and by doing this I've realised how bad the map actually is and how much you're at a disadvantage as a solo player. 2 people as efficient as you will do double, that's just the way it is in any game but on top of that get extra shared exp, like why? The devs are idiots and incompetent. They have sold millions of copies at full price along with plenty of expansions and the game is no where near it's full potential and is just a cash grab, now they've moved onto Atlas which is practically Ark with pirates. There's so many glaring issues with the game and when people get pissed and write on a forum they are met with idiots who are like "just another trash post", yes, exactly, another trash post because that's what people relate with in this game.

Devs from other companies that I respect have recently said they love feedback, ANY feedback and they genuinely take the trash talk on board because they understand these people are the most passionate about the game and want change for the better and they want there game to be better and don't charge you full price plus however many expansion before the game is even acceptable to move forward.

It very much depends on how you want to play.  It certainly isn't for me because, as others have mostly covered, you're never going to be a player that's accomplished much.  You'll never be doing boss fights or getting great tames unless maybe you're able to steal a cryofridge and a pretty good amount of cryopods at some point and then pray that if one of your bases gets found and raided, it's not that one.  The only way you can ever hope for this to not be a ridiculous long shot is through alliances and I just would never want to depend that much on other tribes knowing that the only thing keeping me from losing everything is that they haven't decided they want me to.

I suppose you also could do solo PVP for a while and then eventually start playing in PVE or in a tribe if the whole "never accomplish a whole lot" aspect sounds unappealing to you, but at that point you're really gonna be wasting some time by doing solo PVP first.  Sure you can get a lot accomplished without that many hours if you grind hard but I don't know...  It's fun to just take it easy and just have a little fun and it's fun to grind hard towards goals and accomplish those goals, but I don't think it's very fun to just absolutely do 100% one or the other.  I know people with 4x my hours who haven't accomplished half of what I have and I also know that if had used my time more efficiently at times I could've accomplished just as much in probably half to 3/4 of my hours, but neither of those sound as fun to me as the way I've played.

If you want to be able to make a lot of actual progress, I wouldn't waste my time with the solo PVP stuff.  Putting that time in to getting somewhere solo PVE or in a PVP tribe will amount to a lot more fun in my opinion... But again, it all comes back to how you want to play.  I'd be curious to know if some of these people that say how much they love solo PVP ever have otherwise accomplished the things they acknowledge that you have to accept as likely out of reach, because I used to think of those things as something I don't care about getting done and can have fun without, but now that I've done them I can't imagine playing that way.

Archived