Is Solo PvP even possible?

Pappy

Ok, so I'm new to,the game but have been really getting into it. I'm on a pve primitive server but with everything that was just released I plan on starting over on a new server. I play solo, which on PvE isn't an issue. I kinda want to try PvP and get the full experience, but I'm afraid as a solo casual player I would be wiped out constantly. Just wondering if anyone else has attempted this? From the looks of it, I need to either stick to PvE, or join a large tribe if I want to try PvP

I don't know why, but it won't let me reply on this thread anymore. Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm currently getting a little more practice in PvE, but plan on watching a few videos and starting a PvP character this weekend. Thanks again

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Pappy said:

Ok, so I'm new to,the game but have been really getting into it. I'm on a pve primitive server but with everything that was just released I plan on starting over on a new server. I play solo, which on PvE isn't an issue. I kinda want to try PvP and get the full experience, but I'm afraid as a solo casual player I would be wiped out constantly. Just wondering if anyone else has attempted this? From the looks of it, I need to either stick to PvE, or join a large tribe if I want to try PvP

As long as you're ok with failing often until you learn your way, absolutely. This is a hard game, even for small Tribes. Solo can be done, but the learning curve for a newer player is hardcore.

It's worth it though, this game is amazing.

Best advice I can give is use single player to learn the map and the game before investing too much time on official... Remember, many of us have over 2 years experience on you. ?

Play on Ragnarok or The Center. The Island has less places for bases for a solo player imo. 
Build small, and hidden. Nothing you build should be able to be seen from the air, and most degrees of view. 
Don't build by heavy traffic areas, like beaver dams. 
Does a spot look really, really cool? Don't build there. Cool views attract people. 
Don't harvest within a short radius of your base, players may notice missing resources in an otherwise unremarkable place. Especially trees. 
Build multiple small bases, scattered about. Look up compact base designs on youtube. 
Build "Decoy Bases".
Keep your resource Dinos hidden near less used resource nodes. 
Pteranodon's are life. Tame several, keep one at each base. 
Build LOTS of beds, in many locations. Maybe some sleeping bags tucked away in bushes. 
You'll never have a Giga, don't expect to. 
Hide stuff in chests in the water, or well hidden: backup gear kits, rockets, good blueprints, rockets. 
The Alpha tribe will probably be tyrannical, make friends with smaller tribes/solo players.
Stock up on explosives for when poop pops off against the Alpha, your allies will see your value. 
Give gifts to other small/med tribes, soloers. You'd be surprised how much goodwill a few stacks of cementing paste, or a hand with a tricky tame will buy you. 
Don't burn fires or use torches in your base at night if at all possible, the glow shows through walls and can give you away. I farm nearby resources at night like Stone/Wood/Narco Berries, do my bulk crafting, etc. .  at night. 
Make your character model as small as you can, and dark skinned, it will make your harder to see and your hitbox smaller. 
Dye your armor for camouflage, and your base, usually black is best. 
If flying, don't head straight to your important bases, land in some nearby trees, etc. . . and skim the ground back. 

TLDR: Stay hidden, moderate your expectations, think like a Guerrilla fighter. 

Well since you played on primitive I would suggest P+ if you dont mind some bugs and to learn a thing or two. I had 2k h on P+ server that has been wiped. Playing solo in my experience is not that hard in low population server and P+ is that kind of server. Now, what the others said about playing hidden and not showing yourself is true in most cases, but my approach is to rush to get yourself a base that has decent defence and then help others, form alliances. This works only when there are no asshat alpha tribe, though.

Everything @detroitdregs said and accept the fact you won't ever be able to have a dino garage, collect a lot of tames, especially the bigger ones. It will play more like no-tame plus any smallish tames you can successfully hide. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

A network of 2x1 stone bases can get you surprisingly far tho. But trial and error, what looks hidden to you might be obvious to a veteran.

I'm mostly a solo player. I benefited hugely because of my persistent stubborn grind I do to maintain my pathetic bases and defenses - as a result I made friends with a guy - the nicest guy in the world which also makes him the most lethal pvper in the game. Big tribes look for grinders and farmers. 

However you will faaail miserably - have fun doing that and learn from it. 

I learned most from a very good greifer that owned a server using only a metal pike. Being as stubborn as I am I got salty with him, and he wiped my base over and over and over again. I learned a lot from that until the end........hard to defend against a lvl 300 fire wyvern......

4 minutes ago, waterKeeper said:

A network of 2x1 stone bases can get you surprisingly far tho. But trial and error, what looks hidden to you might be obvious to a veteran.

^^This

I had a 2x1 on a SE server that never got hit. The other bases I built on the server were hit relentlessly because they were too big. I already knew it was a server for 1 tribe only but it was interesting to see how long I could last solo. 

If you want to survive on a PVP server, this is all fine advice.

If you want to PVP on a PVP server, take all of the above advice and combine it with a careful study of Kishko or his friends.  They have youtube channels, and they are very good at small scale asymmetric warfare.  They also have to change servers a lot, and store most of their possessions in beacons or purlovias, due to the salt they generate among the alphas they harass.  Something to bear in mind.

But a solo run on a PVP server, especially if it turns out well, is very rewarding.  Some of the best fun I've ever had on ark was living as a homeless degenerate clubbing people for loot.

Good luck!

I think I have THE best spot - 2x6 2 high with underground 2x2 spot - completely hidden in rock. Have fab  /- 3 vaults -  /2 chem bench  / smithy  / 8 ref forges / gen / 2 turrets / petra's and frog.

Ive raided a bunch and have been untouched or unseen by anyone - running out of room to store loot - 

So good!!!

On 8/29/2017 at 11:17 PM, Pappy said:

Going solo on pvp is very possible if you know what you're doing. I usually help out one man tribes because anyone who can build up solo would be an asset to my tribe. 

@detroitdregs offered great advice as many of the others did as well. Build small, hidden and  learn the secrets to staying hidden. Youtube is the greatest learning tool there is. Study xOnewingx on youtube. He is a master at raft and building construction as well as numerous other tricks. Kviden is the master of jamming everything into a 2 by two base and his videos areincrediable. I had a base in the open on a PVP Island server and was "visited" nightly and they only found what i left them to find. Its tough restarting on the new servers as the logistics of leveling and building from scratch is tedious and time consuming and at lower levels, or even mid levels when a nights work can be destroyed by a guy sneaking up on you with a club butits a part of the game and if you take each experience as a learning experience, you will love the xperience. As stated before, Pteras are fast flyers and easy tames with bola's and a club for getting yourself off the ground. You dont need a level 150 trike for berry picking early. Get a low level one for a quick, early tame. I personally push to raft level and get myself off the beaches that way. But rafts are easy to find and easy to get into so I use mine for resource collection in the early statges so i have a safe refuge if trouble shows. Xonewingx also has various raft designs for a single player such as my personal favorite, the Argie raft,  to single player tame Argies in safety from other dinos.  Argies require larger pens to keep them safe so will be harder to hide buttheier weight carry and fighting ability make up for it if you are careful

I will add one last thing that was kind of touched on. Your actions against other players and thier tames will go a long way in how you are treated in reverse. You chose to attack someone  dont expect there to be no retailation. Respect other players tames. I know not everyone feels the same buti live by this rule. If you kill othe peoples tames, even in the course of raiding, your tames will never be safe. You are going to find players that group dino killing and raiding together and thats thier perogative. Alpha tribes vary as much as players and if you cant live under thier rule, move servers, you are never going to be able to compete against large tribes especially in a confrontation relationship. Make friends and alliances, even if you want to remain a solo player. Help people out when you can if its in your nature, you will be surprised how often that is returned. 

On 30.08.2017 at 5:17 AM, Pappy said:

I have been soloing ever since i started playing ark and i love it, i learned from a lot of mistakes, ive lost everything a lot of consecutive days in a row which made me stronger.

Make your main base with your smithys and whatnot but don't keep all your important stuff in there, i usually have water caches stashed all over the map, so far they have never been raided, try to stay friendly to the friendly players, always be ready for something bad to happen, that minimizes the chances. 

Dont walk on the "beaten tracks" and place beds all over the map for easy fast travelling to your stashes and what not (Theres a way you can lower stone foundations and then place a bed on it and another foundation on top, it will look like a regular random foundation which players will leave alone but it will be your spawn location which is totally hidden)

If you are hunting for a player don't run at him straight away, do some guerrilla warfare, strike at the right time and bounce, Your first step should be making a hidden base and taming a female dodo so it lays eggs, that way you can make Dodo kibble and tame a high level Pteranadon which is crucial for a solo player, from there you can find your main base location.

Just work of "Natural instinct" as if you were really there and every move depended on your life.

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, Pappy said:

I don't know why, but it won't let me reply on this thread anymore. Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm currently getting a little more practice in PvE, but plan on watching a few videos and starting a PvP character this weekend. Thanks again

PVP solo is not for the faint hearted. I haven't tried solo PVP but I did two a Duo for about 2 months just me another guy. The thing is we both by that time had around 2000 hours under our belt and knew what we were doing. Being a solo player and an inexperienced one at that you will have a rather rough time. My advice would to join an already existing tribe and learn the ropes. There is a lot of tricks to this game that can't be found on Wikipedia on a in manual. 

Then once you've learned the basics and some more you can try going solo. My advice would be to buy the game again and do a farm/raid setup. Where one player in one tribe is for farming and you raid with the other character with no obvious link between them. If you play it right and engage in some good diplomacy/politics with the other tribes on the server its possible you could get really friendly with them to a point where they won't attack you out of feeling sorry you being a solo player and you might even be allowed to join some alliance.

As for base design, keep it small and hidden and only have the minimal dinos - anklo, doed, meat gather, beaver so on. A quetz is handy also they can be useful even if its just one player operating it and the anklo. Raiding wise with the changes to turrets its a lot harder for smaller raiding tribes now since turtles can't really be used like they were before. If you want to raid well design/defended bases you'll need at least 1 Bronto or Paracer to tank the turrets.

Pretty much what everyone has been saying. You're not going to be able to build large until you have decent relationships with some people on the server. When you join a server, just ask in chat how the server is. Judge how the other people talk to you and by what others are saying in chat to determine what people to watch out for. Just keep it simple until you feel comfortable in your server. 

Stay hidden, gather what you need, have a few tames. 

Ive been solo my entire time. PvP is tough until you learn the ropes and make friends. I also dabbled in pvp primitve and was never raided so that might be a good stepping stone. But I like the challenge of regular pvp which you will need patience and experience for.

good luck and just try and be friendly and don't take dying or getting raided too seriously... it's going to happen

good luck

Archived