Upload Cooldown

Zed38

1 hour ago, bigfishrob said:

this destroys cross server trading of expensive dinos. imagin trying to move 10 ings....previously you would whip it near an obi and server hop to a vault at home......what the hell would you do now....G G stand there on an obi or drop for 40 mins til the cd is over? Half brained excuse for a fix is what it is.

Basically ruins the deals that I had planned to do with people in the next week or so. For things that cost up to 5k ings. It would take them all day to load that stuff up to me just to get the animals that I'm trading. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

It's not a slap in the face if you're picking up their arms and swinging their hands at your head. You've complained that Ark makes bad business decisions, yet you're demanding they make a worse business decision so you can get what you want. No matter how you slice it, continuing to service legacy servers is a waste of valuable resources. It's a bummer that they said they would do it, and it's a bummer that they aren't going to do it...but in all aspects it's a bad decision for Wildcard to waste their time and resources on a lost cause. 

Boy, you are just looking for a fight, aren't you. Sorry, not going to bite. Slap in the face is a metaphor. Maybe google it? Might be a cultural thing that you are not aware of. In this case it does not involve an actual hand or an actual face.

Define "bad business decision," because I never used that term. It seems to me your definition includes any decision you don't agree with because of the reasons you made up... in this case waste of valuable resources. I am quite sure you do not have access to their balance sheet to know if it is financially wise. When they made the promises they made obviously they thought it was a good business decision.

To me making bad business decisions involves lying and broken promises coupled with bad communication. They made promises they did not have to make, then they broke those promises and did not give people enough time to adjust. Many of us changed the way we played based on the assumption that they would keep their word. We know better now, but back then we thought they were honest and cared about our input. It is the lies that have so many of us angry.

If my neighbor tells me he is going to cut the grass for me, but then at dusk on Sunday tells me he decided not to and I have to try to get it cut in the dark I would not be angry with my neighbor because I felt I was entitled to have him cut my grass, I would be angry with him because he broke his promise and made me change my plans when I could have just cut the grass Saturday morning.

I hope this helps you understand.

3 minutes ago, bigfishrob said:

just trolls man, trolls. gotta have something since they cant scream early access any more

Probably a kid with a lot of participation trophies. I think he means well, he just does not understand that everyone does not believe the things he does and does not try to look at things from a different perspective. Maybe when he has a little more life experience he will not be so combative with people who view the world differently that he does.

16 minutes ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

Probably a kid with a lot of participation trophies. I think he means well, he just does not understand that everyone does not believe the things he does and does not try to look at things from a different perspective. Maybe when he has a little more life experience he will not be so combative with people who view the world differently that he does.

The sad thing is, I'm not being combative at all...but to someone without a reasonable defense, everything feels like an offense.

4 minutes ago, waterKeeper said:

Can't you just bring your one item to them, instead of them bringing everything to you?

That takes forever... new character cannot even hold a full stack of metal so you could not even upload 10 ing into the ob doing it that way. Much easier to to have someone with a bunch of heavy materials come to you, download them all, but them in the tribute and then you take them out and put them in the ob. This will be a nightmare for trading. Already working on a way around it, but it is going to suck either way. Still, I think it is for the best.

8 hours ago, bkrafty said:

That was a good answer. Yes, I do not agree it was a coincidence that they cut support AND decided not to apply resource blocking to legacy. I don't attribute everything to malice, but I also do not ignore obvious connections. I certainly don't think they did it to piss me off, and if they did they failed as I have already found a great dedicated server. As far as the rest of your statement goes, you are reading into what I say way too much. I don't feel entitled to anything and I'll be fine. I simply would assume WC didn't "fix" (aka: wipe) resource blocked areas because it fits a plan to do away with legacy servers. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I investigate fraud for a living and draw conclusions based on evidence. That's all I'm doing here. Thank you for sharing your viewpoint. 

I appreciate you sharing yours with more clarity. I honestly believe there is plenty of middle ground between you and I on this topic. I'm an analyst by trade, so it's natural for me to look at things from a business standpoint. I'm not lockstep with the devs by any means. They've made a lot of mistakes, and situations like the one we're talking about now could have been entirely avoided had they put their foot down on issues from the get go.

They're rookie mistakes from, frankly, a rookie development team (this is their first big project as a company, it's not like things will be perfect overnight) and they're learning a lot the hard way...but they're learning. Considering what they've already proven themselves capable of, I will continue to support them. They have a really amazing concept and built one hell of a game despite the failures that may occur in these circumstances. They're becoming more experienced and less wishy-washy on their decisions, and when I look at all of this from a more distant scope, I have a lot of faith in the future of the game and the dev team...even if they've left a lot to be desired thus far with some of these hiccups in the development cycle. 

Just went to feed dino's on another server had to wait 3 min for a stack of meat to be able to transfer then wearing desert armour with nothing else not even a sword 28 min wait. Wildcard really know how to kill peoples enjoyment. They have rock's in their heads for brains if they think that's good for the game. How the in the hell are players going to trade and enjoy the game if they have to spend an hour sitting around for timers. that is a raptored up stupid mess

I'm assuming it won't be like that long. Most likely its like this due to the mass flooding of players on the servers that have been waiting to get on all day. They've obviously made some judgment errors during this whole thing, but I expected stuff like this upon immediate release. Just like servers crashing on release dates of major games like Call of Duty and others. 

3 minutes ago, Pappy said:

I'm assuming it won't be like that long. Most likely its like this due to the mass flooding of players on the servers that have been waiting to get on all day. They've obviously made some judgment errors during this whole thing, but I expected stuff like this upon immediate release. Just like servers crashing on release dates of major games like Call of Duty and others. 

Sorry mate but your way off there about the mass flooding on servers causing this they brought the timer's in to stop duping before launch so it was already in place, I am only transferring a very small amount in between legacy servers where there is no mass invasion of new players. However you are completely correct about there being some judgement errors.

52 minutes ago, crasht01 said:

Sorry mate but your way off there about the mass flooding on servers causing this they brought the timer's in to stop duping before launch so it was already in place, I am only transferring a very small amount in between legacy servers where there is no mass invasion of new players. However you are completely correct about there being some judgement errors.

Well you already stated why it was done, so you really think it's gonna change?

I'd argue in some ways it is good for the game... Limits duping, makes taking over entire servers harder for megas, and limits trading yes... Which will encourage more people to buy DLC. 

6 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

I'd argue in some ways it is good for the game... Limits duping, makes taking over entire servers harder for megas, and limits trading yes... Which will encourage more people to buy DLC. 

As I just pointed out in another thread. It actually was well thought out... Maybe an inconvenience for players, but good long term.

10 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

I am only trying to move small amounts of stuff on pve going from 1 server to feed my dino's to do the same on another just wearing armour not trying to import an army for pvp. mega tribes never needed duping to take over a server it just made it faster for them, slow or fast they still get the same result not that any of that really matters on pve anyway, we never had a problem with duping on pve where most of the trading is done. I do not think they will put it back the way it was  if they see that players are unhappy about the current system they might make some changes when they get sometime to think about the impact this current system is doing to the cross ark trade which they implemented and encourage. 

How is this good long term? When you now have to have a production line in every server because making stuff on one server and sending it to another is such a major inconvenience..... we're talking about almost an hour for each upload for stuff in your limited inventory. Why not increase your server saves so that we are not as inconvenienced if you're so worried about duping? make it a more reasonable 15 mins or less if u can't think of something better Wildcard  =.=. 

2 hours ago, TheLordTailfin said:

It might reduce duping but it makes cross ark relocation almost impossible or extremely tedious. Especially after you just shut down so many servers, how are people going to set up elsewhere with such long upload timers? Poorly thought out wildcard. 

It absolutely doesn't fix the duping exploits.

The cause for the duping is the savesystem of ark (full saves all x minutes instead of incremental saves when items are moved and so on...). As long as the savesystem is Fullsave, there won't be any fix. The ONE AND ONLY POSSIBILITY to fix it is to completely rewrite the save system to incremental. 

If a item gets removed out of a storage box for example, the server has to IMMEDIATELY remove this items out of the savefile. All other things won't fix the duping because there will always be a possibility to crash the servers...

35 minutes ago, crasht01 said:

I am only trying to move small amounts of stuff on pve going from 1 server to feed my dino's to do the same on another just wearing armour not trying to import an army for pvp. mega tribes never needed duping to take over a server it just made it faster for them, slow or fast they still get the same result not that any of that really matters on pve anyway, we never had a problem with duping on pve where most of the trading is done. I do not think they will put it back the way it was  if they see that players are unhappy about the current system they might make some changes when they get sometime to think about the impact this current system is doing to the cross ark trade which they implemented and encourage. 

Did you notice the trade section of the forums lately? I think they've reassessed their position on trading.

Also, the reason it makes it harder for megas isn't just duping... How long will it take to transfers all those tames & gear over??? The element of surprise is now gone. Pretty sure the change will stay for these reasons. Jen was already quoted as saying she thoroughly tested them and they're effective.

36 minutes ago, TheLordTailfin said:

How is this good long term? When you now have to have a production line in every server because making stuff on one server and sending it to another is such a major inconvenience..... we're talking about almost an hour for each upload for stuff in your limited inventory. Why not increase your server saves so that we are not as inconvenienced if you're so worried about duping? make it a more reasonable 15 mins or less if u can't think of something better Wildcard  =.=. 

Pretty sure I answered that already... It being inconvenient is the point... Now it's a pain in the arse for megas to go server hopping building Mass amounts of resources & taking them all over. ?

lol you got merged!

but yea, the upload timer is bad

spend whole x3 making adobe walls to buy a new wyvern (as i lost my 221 light wyvern because of the rollback, but that's for another thread. long story short: the rollback returned me and my wyvern back in the world scar, where i obviously logged in death, killed by poison wyv. to return later, looking where my wyv was (could be entire world scar for all i know) to get the death message that my 221 light was killed as i got "near")

happy as i was, making 1500 adobe walls to buy a new 220 wyv, they imput this timer and now my adobe walls are gathering dust in the storage. i can carry only 1 stack at a time (400 weight per stack) and have to wait 20 minutes per stack to upload

no way i'm gonna wait that long, 15 times 20 minutes??? 5 hours???? 

so yes, i feel "used" twice now

33 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Did you notice the trade section of the forums lately? I think they've reassessed their position on trading.

Also, the reason it makes it harder for megas isn't just duping... How long will it take to transfers all those tames & gear over??? The element of surprise is now gone. Pretty sure the change will stay for these reasons. Jen was already quoted as saying she thoroughly tested them and they're effective.

So what in the hell have mega tribes got to do with PVE and as for trading of course it's slowed down people can't get the poop they already owned moved let alone move something you wish to buy. If I cant move from one server to another in my armour I don't need some quote from Jen to tell me it's effective its pretty raptoring obvious this timer is destroying travel for the honest survivor's 

Archived