Why did sotf die?

Arkonautalus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is probably subjective but I loved sotf and I love the No Tame servers (playing a year now) but for some reason both don't attract the population like tame servers do.  So it may be subjective, but I think the players who play Ark have different interests than the players who always play say, CoD, CS, and PUBG, SOTF, and by extension, the current No Tame servers, so I can see why most people would either just like to do the building/breeding/taming aspect of Ark or just go play PUBG. 

There are other reasons, such as SOTF not being released when Ark was fully polished (I remember a lot of people really liked it but their computers could not handle it), server lag, competition, no console release, etc....but I feel the core base of Ark may prefer less PvP and more PvE.  

• 3 weeks later...

I cant stand to really play ark anymore except on my personal server with my girlfriend and that's only cause she enjoys the dinos and stuff, but if sotf would come to console, like ive been praying it would for well over a year, I would hands down play the raptoring crap outta it and it would easily be my favorite game, as long as they didn't screw it up, but I absolutely loved watching all the survivor league tournys and all the youtubers that played, but its all died out with no support for this game. it was around before pubg or the other BR games had traction and had a much more skill based play than them as they are based on luck of the loot where SOTF is based on how fast can you get what you need together to win, whether that be the tame horde, the guns, the cheeky saber and longneck. what im tryna say is that im baffled at how this thing didn't take off, how did wildcard not notice what this could become with a lil extra help, I understand that maybe your then-current team couldn't do both, but I know they had plenty of ppl that offered to help with the development of this specific game mode, why did they not take it?? just dumb, and the fact they didn't take this obvious opportunity to be ahead of the BR genre curve, respect lost. smh 

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion SOTF was just released too soon, owing to the fact the main game, ARK, was still in deep alpha. Instead of using money from EA to finish ARK, they wasted it on side project that didn't not improve the main game at all and tournaments. It was quite unwise considering the limited staff they had at that time (and it's still like that). Plus:

• Terrible optimisation, therefore very few people could enjoy it with reasonable framerate.
  • If you didn't want to have bad time, you were forced to lower graphical settings as low as possible.
  • Unstable servers, rubberbending.
  • Matches were too long.
  • In order to win the match you had to know quite a lot about the game compering to PUBG for example.
  • Lack of content.
  • After playing PUBG I can list another disadvantage, the final zone was constant thus fights at the end were really boring once remaining teams were on the platform.
  • Lack of developer support and that was the final nail in the coffin for SOTF.

• 4 weeks later...

they should have done procedural generated maps, a circle that keeps closing rather than stopping and quicker game pace. Plus all the other server issues of poor optimization/rubber banding but other than that it was fun. 

Plus they need a tutorial version for first timers and also a ranking system as SoTF requires a lot of  prior ark knowledge to pick up rather something like pubg. 

Archived