Skip thatch and wood!

REGaming

For all the people who are starting pvp! DONT BUILD IN THATCH IN WOOD!

The reason is all you need is a stone pick axe/axe to brake through the thatch and a good amount of early game mounts can break wood. With that being said you are a target for low level player who need a boost from the start. 

So build with stone and work up to metal!

for a pvp player on official structures, i have found the ideal method for starting a base.

1. form a 2x2x2 wooden box (or stone if you can afford it)

2. craft the necessary tools to adequately harvest metal and other resources for metal structures

3. place your metal structures in a hidden storage box somewhere outside of your base, in a location that you believe it would be unlikely for another player to immediately locate

4. continue crafting metal structures until you have the desired amount to make your base

5. build 6 large crop plots, find plant x, make fertilizer. this will give you base defense against any low level griefers with grenades on a ptera.

5. immediately replace all wooden/stone structures with metal.

6. grind until the day you die for turrets and then grind some more. the more turrets you have, the better. (if you already have engrams unlocked for turrets then that should be one of the first steps you do...unlike most materials, turrets can be picked up and moved around. only do this if you are not afraid of drawing attention to yourself, because the red glow of the turret beam will give griefers and higher level tribes the assumption that you have good resources to steal.)

7. live happily knowing that the alpha hasn't grown tired of you yet.

if you are extremely dedicated to stashing (placing materials in hidden chests until later), then i would even go as far as waiting until i had plant x seeds and crop plots and bullets and turrets already crafted before i make my metal base. 

but under NO circumstances should you keep any valuables in your base (ingots, cementing paste, fabricated structures, bullets, spark powder, gun powder). place your most important materials in hidden chests. if you are making materials solely for making others (crafting sparkpowder to make gunpowder, gunpowder for bullets), only store them until you are able to craft the items you want. will save you plenty of item space. 

following this, you are essentially giving yourself raid protection. that way, if someone decides to blow up your front door, they will have nothing to steal and will ultimately be at a loss for being out more resources than they were able to take from you. you may need to replace a fabricator or a smithy or a mortar and pestle, but i would much rather remake these than have to re-craft 600 spark powder or 400 bullets.

tip: DO NOT BUILD DIRECTLY NEXT TO IMPORTANT RESOURCE SPAWNS (metal mountains, supply drops, obsidian nodes, ponds). you will be a very easy target for anyone who wants an excuse to wipe you.

this only applies to official PVP, not PVE or player dedicated servers. those are often times more relaxed and the sense of urgency is not as prominent. but for official PVP building, this is the procedure i would reccommend until you are established.

14 minutes ago, Demigod said:

for a pvp player on official structures, i have found the ideal method for starting a base.

1. form a 2x2x2 wooden box (or stone if you can afford it)

2. craft the necessary tools to adequately harvest metal and other resources for metal structures

3. place your metal structures in a hidden storage box somewhere outside of your base, in a location that you believe it would be unlikely for another player to immediately locate

4. continue crafting metal structures until you have the desired amount to make your base

5. build 6 large crop plots, find plant x, make fertilizer. this will give you base defense against any low level griefers with grenades on a ptera.

5. immediately replace all wooden/stone structures with metal.

6. grind until the day you die for turrets and then grind some more. the more turrets you have, the better. (if you already have engrams unlocked for turrets then that should be one of the first steps you do...unlike most materials, turrets can be picked up and moved around. only do this if you are not afraid of drawing attention to yourself, because the red glow of the turret beam will give griefers and higher level tribes the assumption that you have good resources to steal.)

7. live happily knowing that the alpha hasn't grown tired of you yet.

if you are extremely dedicated to stashing (placing materials in hidden chests until later), then i would even go as far as waiting until i had plant x seeds and crop plots and bullets and turrets already crafted before i make my metal base. 

but under NO circumstances should you keep any valuables in your base (ingots, cementing paste, fabricated structures, bullets, spark powder, gun powder). place your most important materials in hidden chests. if you are making materials solely for making others (crafting sparkpowder to make gunpowder, gunpowder for bullets), only store them until you are able to craft the items you want. will save you plenty of item space. 

following this, you are essentially giving yourself raid protection. that way, if someone decides to blow up your front door, they will have nothing to steal and will ultimately be at a loss for being out more resources than they were able to take from you. you may need to replace a fabricator or a smithy or a mortar and pestle, but i would much rather remake these than have to re-craft 600 spark powder or 400 bullets.

tip: DO NOT BUILD DIRECTLY NEXT TO IMPORTANT RESOURCE SPAWNS (metal mountains, supply drops, obsidian nodes, ponds). you will be a very easy target for anyone who wants an excuse to wipe you.

this only applies to official PVP, not PVE or player dedicated servers. those are often times more relaxed and the sense of urgency is not as prominent. but for official PVP building, this is the procedure i would reccommend until you are established.

Not the only way of doing it, but EXCELLENT advice for solo and smaller tribes.

Archived