Hour of Official opening of new servers?

dfisher42

This is from Jen's, The Great Migration post on the home page.

Server-wide Blackout
Our Official Server Network will be taken down at 12:00AM ET on August 29th and will remain down for approximately 8 hours, with our official servers coming back online at 8am ET. During this time we will be going through the process of removing all servers outlined in this post and re-purposing them into a new cluster, completely separate from all Legacy servers. The Legacy servers and all the new servers will come back online after that time.

8am ET

7am CDT

6am MDT

5am PDT

4am AKDT

12am New Zealand Time

11pm / 23 SRET

10pm / 22 VLAT / Sydney

9pm / 21 Japanese Time Zone

8pm / 20 Chinese Time Zone

7pm / 19 Oceania

6pm / 18 Kazakhsthan

5pm / 17 Pakistan / Kazakhstan / Russia (YEKT)

4pm / 16 Georgia / Armenia

3pm / 15 Moscow / EEST

2pm / 14 CEST (Central European Time)

1pm / 13 BST (UK/ Portugal), WAT (Africa)

12pm GMT (Africa and Iceland)

10am Greenland

9am ADT (North America) and Most of South American East and South)

23 minutes ago, Stuartjjones said:

1200 GMT. UK is currently BST (British Summer Time) which is GMT+1. That’s why it shows 1pm for London.

... I thought that's what I said?

0800hrs ET should make it about 1300hrs, sorry for not putting in the GMT+1 but I just lifted the time stamp from the website, still gave the same time.

but of course this is subject to change if the execution doesn't face any delays in itself

https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=5,2878234&h=5&date=2017-8-29&sln=0-9

This is the estimated time of the maintenance, right? I got really confused as to what 12am is supposed to be, and googling that did not really help. So commonly, 12 am on 29th is 0000 on the 29th, military speak? Or in a (sane) 24 hour clock scheme? The start of the day, so should be done at arround 8 am on the 29th? All eastern daylight saving time?

Why can't they use a more international way to communicate times... this is so needlessly confusing.

4 minutes ago, dark7np said:

This is the estimated time of the maintenance, right? I got really confused as to what 12am is supposed to be, and googling that did not really help. So commonly, 12 am on 29th is 0000 on the 29th, military speak? Or in a (sane) 24 hour clock scheme? The start of the day, so should be done at arround 8 am on the 29th?

Why can't they use a more international way to communicate times... this is so needlessly confusing.

That’s right. 12am is 0000. So, servers should be up at 8am. (Or sometime next month, if Wildcards history is anything to go by).

• Volunteer Moderator
17 minutes ago, dark7np said:

This is the estimated time of the maintenance, right? I got really confused as to what 12am is supposed to be, and googling that did not really help. So commonly, 12 am on 29th is 0000 on the 29th, military speak? Or in a (sane) 24 hour clock scheme? The start of the day, so should be done at arround 8 am on the 29th? All eastern daylight saving time?

It is not at all confusing whatsoever.

Official servers shutdown at 12am ET on 29th. That's midnight, i.e. 00:00 right at the start of 29th, nothing confusing about that. You then work out how many hours ahead your timezone is and then count those hours.

I don't understand why so many people struggle to know what AM and PM is and work out the time difference.

I mean if you google "EST Time" right now you will see Google immediately says 07:26. If you want to find out what 00:00 is in your timezone then you look at your time right now and subtract 7 hours 26 mins. It's the easiest thing to calculate.

1 hour ago, GP said:

I don't understand why so many people struggle to know what AM and PM is and work out the time difference.

I mean if you google "EST Time" right now you will see Google immediately says 07:26. If you want to find out what 00:00 is in your timezone then you look at your time right now and subtract 7 hours 26 mins. It's the easiest thing to calculate.

The problem is that if I google "what does 12 am mean", I find posts which basically say "that is not really defined and should not be used". It also usually mentions that it "usually" means 00:00. But I do not like to "guess", and as a non-native to this am/pm system I am not familiar with the corner cases and "will be this or that, surely cause that's how it's done". In the same sense, explain to me why 12 pm is before 1 pm? I get the base system, everything but 12 am and 12 pm is pretty clear and easy to grasp. But why is 12 pm not midnight? As it is 12 hours after noon? So should it not be the same as 12 am? Just not the same date... maybe?

But - the question has been answered. This is just to explain why I felt that "12 am ET" may be perfectly clear for an american, but is far from a foolproof time declaration in an international sense. Heck, it does not even include daylight saving. I may live in a country which does not use "daylight saving" at all, so depending on where I look I may not even be aware that in this case "12 am ET" means "12 am EDT", and be off an hour... Or whater. Different countries can use different dates for daylight saving. Timezones is a complicated mess, you know?

16 minutes ago, dark7np said:

The problem is that if I google "what does 12 am mean", I find posts which basically say "that is not really defined and should not be used". It also usually mentions that it "usually" means 00:00. But I do not like to "guess", and as a non-native to this am/pm system I am not familiar with the corner cases and "will be this or that, surely cause that's how it's done". In the same sense, explain to me why 12 pm is before 1 pm? I get the base system, everything but 12 am and 12 pm is pretty clear and easy to grasp. But why is 12 pm not midnight? As it is 12 hours after noon? So should it not be the same as 12 am? Just not the same date... maybe?

But - the question has been answered. This is just to explain why I felt that "12 am ET" may be perfectly clear for an american, but is far from a foolproof time declaration in an international sense. Heck, it does not even include daylight saving. I may live in a country which does not use "daylight saving" at all, so depending on where I look I may not even be aware that in this case "12 am ET" means "12 am EDT", and be off an hour... Or whater. Different countries can use different dates for daylight saving. Timezones is a complicated mess, you know?

Because AM = debut of the new day.

12 AM being the first second, first minute, first hour of the new day.

PM being the 2nd half of the day.

That dumbs it down enough ?

You still don't get my point. You Americans simply got that memorized. Which is fine, once you know that. But the world does not end at the US border, and not every one on this world thinks this way. I could see the logic in 0 am be what you guys defined 12 am to be. Since everything from 1 am to 11 am is "after" the start of the day, it would be kinda logical to me (since you know, 12 is larger then 11), that 12 am is noon, same as 0 pm. And 12 pm would as far as that logic goes be midnight, same as 0 am of the next day...

While I now understand your way of naming time, it is not a system that I would call "consistently logical". Now deal with the fact that I think it is a crappy system and that I like my 24 hour system more. :P

• Volunteer Moderator
56 minutes ago, dark7np said:

You still don't get my point. You Americans simply got that memorized. Which is fine, once you know that. But the world does not end at the US border, and not every one on this world thinks this way. I could see the logic in 0 am be what you guys defined 12 am to be. Since everything from 1 am to 11 am is "after" the start of the day, it would be kinda logical to me (since you know, 12 is larger then 11), that 12 am is noon, same as 0 pm. And 12 pm would as far as that logic goes be midnight, same as 0 am of the next day...

While I now understand your way of naming time, it is not a system that I would call "consistently logical". Now deal with the fact that I think it is a crappy system and that I like my 24 hour system more. :P

I'm not American, i'm in the UK. I was taught how to tell time in school. I don't know about other countries, but most should know that AM is the first half of the day and PM is the second.

2 hours ago, dark7np said:

I never said it was logical. 

But, if its says 8 AM EST...

Two things : If you are anywhere else in the world...8 means 8 hours in the morning (or 8 hours after midnight) in the morning and 20 means 20 hours or night time in most parts of the world.

Then the 2nd thing...EST, Eastern Standard Time, there is only one such time zone in the world...period.

Archived