what do you think is the hardest to solo tame and why?

kyten44

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I was using console commands to spawn in some cannons, but the Titanosaurus was probably the hardest for me. It took quite a while and plenty of cannon shots from my Quetz. Rock Elementals were similar, but they didn't move around as much, you could get one stuck and shoot it with a cannon on the back of a Paracer. Initially, the Quetz was extremely difficult, but I finally found a strategy on the wiki that worked for me. It involves parachuting off of a flyer, shooting the Quetz w/ a tranq dart, and getting back on your flyer to chase it. Optimally, your first solo Quetz should be a low level, because it's so much easier to tame another one.

On 8/27/2017 at 4:24 PM, Rintrahhh said:

I would have to say solo taming a quetzal. I play on Xbox so it's controls are different than pc. I tried the scorpion method, the argy/grapple method, shooting from peak to peak, all failed. The only way I was able to do it was on The Center, and after following one around long enough it eventually flew into one of the spires and got stuck. I was able to land on a nearby ledge and tranq it. I don't know how anyone on Xbox does it solo on The Island unless they get lucky and find one stuck in the side of a mountain.

It might be easier now because I think you can shoot from the tapejara, I'm not sure though.

God I did the scorpion method back in the day, but I believe it doesn't work anymore. I chased a quetz around for what felt like an hour with my argie carrying a scorpion. When I finally knocked the quetz out that muthasucka landed in Spino River...

All land dinos have been pretty easy ( this is after learning the game proper ) .. flyers also .. so with the water dinos.. But .. as many has pointed out .. the one that I have had the most issues with is by far the Quetzal!

All land dinos can easily be trapped in a cage and then tamed... Argent too .. Ptera is easily bola'ed ... but Quetz ... phew .. that takes a toll on me lol

10 minutes ago, DeZiLL313 said:

God I did the scorpion method back in the day, but I believe it doesn't work anymore. I chased a quetz around for what felt like an hour with my argie carrying a scorpion. When I finally knocked the quetz out that muthasucka landed in Spino River...

I tried it like 3 times and it always killed the quetzal. I would rather that happen than to actually knock it out and it fall in a river though lol

3 minutes ago, Rintrahhh said:

I tried it like 3 times and it always killed the quetzal. I would rather that happen than to actually knock it out and it fall in a river though lol

I think it has to be a low lvl Quetz. High lvl ones have too much torpor and not enough health. The two that I knocked out with this method were both under lvl 50. Don't remember the exact lvl since this was at the end of 2015 beginning of 2016 when I did this.

I knocked out level 10 like that .. Killed a few until I figured out how to do it .. with the wait between the hits from the scorp and such ... I always manage to kill higher level ones .. so I would go for a low low one, and then build that one up, and trap the high level ones ...

I don't think this works anymore though ..

On 28.8.2017 at 0:24 AM, Orion said:

You don't need a tribemate.

What you can do if you use a Tapejara is hold Y to board the front Passanger seat, use the LB+D-Pad Down to whistle command it around, which enables you to shoot the Quetzal with ease. 

For me this is much more difficult then the grappling technic. Mostly because most of the shots you do will not count as hits, because they get blocked by the tapejaras head. The hitbox is much bigger then the flat head suggests.

• 10 months later...

I have seen this question a few times and I always wonder why nobody mentions the Reaper King. It’s hands down, undoubtedly..the most difficult tame in ark. I absolutely could not imagine getting one on official standards! I got one on a boosted server.. haha.. epic fails! Didn’t actually get it until the 3rd pregnancy. Accidentally killed it to radiation the first time.. didn’t know that was a thing.. lol.. learn something new everyday I guess.. the second time.. I fought my way out of the radiation zone on my drake without getting my suit damaged, got all the way up top, and outside my base to watch the thing burst out of my chest! .. hahaha and run away! Once again learned something new! 3rd time after accidentally killing 2 queens while trying to keep the health below 2k and eating the pheromones waiting on them to mate with me............. yeah.. well 3rd times a charm right? I got impregnated by a low level one but was still excited.. crawled my way out of the radiation zone with some nameless venom for imprinting.. and crawled into the Fort Knox like establishment I had built to birth the thing at.. N wow.. felt so good when I finally got one.. I accidentally left it in ark data like a month later.. hahaha.. haven’t been up to doing it all again.. took me 2 days to succeed and when it was over I felt like the only survivor at the end of a terrible/unforgettable horror movie.. One of those ones where the little college girl is dragging her self to safety through the mud.. with missing fingers and broken bones.. me going back in there is like Sigourney Weaver going back and saving Newt.. except the king is my Newt. It’s going to happen.. I’ll Get another eventually.. but no time soon... I strongly suggest that everyone gives it a try at least once though.. and screw watching videos on it.. just got do it.. it’s a very interesting experience.. to say the least....

Quetzal imo. The only way to efficiently tame one is by using a griffin or a another quetzal with a trap. You can use tapejara method by sitting on passenger and whistling to attack, or the argie method by grappling on it and whistling to attack as well. However, they are not as efficient as you will have to continuously whistle attack/passive mode + shoot the quetzal. Also the quetzal can get immediately attacked when it gets the ground.

5 hours ago, DcSanny said:

I have seen this question a few times and I always wonder why nobody mentions the Reaper King. It’s hands down, undoubtedly..the most difficult tame in ark. I absolutely could not imagine getting one on official standards! I got one on a boosted server.. haha.. epic fails! Didn’t actually get it until the 3rd pregnancy. Accidentally killed it to radiation the first time.. didn’t know that was a thing.. lol.. learn something new everyday I guess.. the second time.. I fought my way out of the radiation zone on my drake without getting my suit damaged, got all the way up top, and outside my base to watch the thing burst out of my chest! .. hahaha and run away! Once again learned something new! 3rd time after accidentally killing 2 queens while trying to keep the health below 2k and eating the pheromones waiting on them to mate with me............. yeah.. well 3rd times a charm right? I got impregnated by a low level one but was still excited.. crawled my way out of the radiation zone with some nameless venom for imprinting.. and crawled into the Fort Knox like establishment I had built to birth the thing at.. N wow.. felt so good when I finally got one.. I accidentally left it in ark data like a month later.. hahaha.. haven’t been up to doing it all again.. took me 2 days to succeed and when it was over I felt like the only survivor at the end of a terrible/unforgettable horror movie.. One of those ones where the little college girl is dragging her self to safety through the mud.. with missing fingers and broken bones.. me going back in there is like Sigourney Weaver going back and saving Newt.. except the king is my Newt. It’s going to happen.. I’ll Get another eventually.. but no time soon... I strongly suggest that everyone gives it a try at least once though.. and screw watching videos on it.. just got do it.. it’s a very interesting experience.. to say the least....

I have never gotten preggo by one, but I have heard by multiple people who have been. They tell me it is actually easy for them to do it. 

On 7/26/2018 at 7:18 PM, DcSanny said:

I have seen this question a few times and I always wonder why nobody mentions the Reaper King. It’s hands down, undoubtedly..the most difficult tame in ark.

Lol, you necro'd a thread from before the reaper was introduced and wonder why nobody mentioned it. And technically you raise one not tame one.

Mossosaurus are effectively untameable at high levels solo without a godlike crossbow because you can't fire tranq rifles underwater. Otters solo are pretty aweful unless you have an icthy or kibble because they move so much and are hard to find when you come back with a fish. Quetzal is an obvious choice if it's your first one, but once you have one or a friend with one, they're easy as pie. Basilisks are pretty impossible too solo

4 hours ago, ConeyAW said:

Mossosaurus are effectively untameable at high levels solo without a godlike crossbow because you can't fire tranq rifles underwater. Otters solo are pretty aweful unless you have an icthy or kibble because they move so much and are hard to find when you come back with a fish. Quetzal is an obvious choice if it's your first one, but once you have one or a friend with one, they're easy as pie. Basilisks are pretty impossible too solo

You could use Tranq spear bolts, they are much more effective. Also my choice is the Rock Golem. They are just like the Titanosuars, but they are harder to find because they look like rocks, and they are in the desert, where the only other thing more prevalent than cactiare, well, rocks. Sure, you can trap them and then shoot cannon balls at them from a paracer, but then you have to tame one, make metal gates and whatnot. I mean, at least the Titanosuar is easy to spot! There’s my choice.

Honorable mentions: Titanosuar, Quetzal, Giga, and Griffin.

Lots of people in here saying quetz.

Tame a low level quetz using a griffin or a wyvern, put the wyvern on follow with max follow distance and dismount midair and shoot from its back. After you get a level 20-50 you can put a 3 wall trap on it and let a quetz fly straight into it for a really easy tame. Bring a few stacks of stimberries and raw meat to keep up the stam and food so you can keep the lowby quetz hovering while the high level one tames.

Quetzal is honestly a very easy tame to do solo, plenty of ideas have been suggested here to do it. Here are my two personnal favorites if you don't have a quetzal already or griffin/wyvern.

Argentavis method:
- Go near a queztal with your agentavis.
- Unmount mid-air and grapple to your argentavis.
- Whistle "Attack This Target" using the "." shortcut.
- Shoot a dart/tranq arrow.
- Whistle your argent passive when it's about to attack the quetz . T -> Emote Wheel -> Passive
- Repeat until quetzal is down.

Tapejara method:
- Find and land on a high ground point near a queztal.
- Unmount and board a passenger seat. (Can always do it mid-air if you know wth you're doing)
- Use a combination of Whistle "Attack This Target" using the "." shortcut and/or "Go There" with the "," shortcut.
- Shoot a dart/tranq arrow.
- Whistle your tapejara passive when it's about to attack the quetz . T -> Emote Wheel -> Passive
- Repeat until quetzal is down.

Tapejara is also a stupidly easy tame to get solo. Simply suit up in a full ghilie and you can literraly walk up 6 feet from it. If you can't bola anything at that distance, you need to work on your bola skills ASAP.

Honestly, in 4k+ hours on official PvP servers, I managed to tame everything solo but a single dino, the titanosaur. I believe there are ways to do them solo, but I haven't found it yet. ?

Regards.

Archived