what do you think is the hardest to solo tame and why?

kyten44

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Jamagh said:

You have to get a quetzal to build a trap to catch one. Gettign the first one... other than buying one with ingots or whatever is easy. Taming one alone is a pain.

Right, you build a cage on a quetzes back then just fly it over the quetzal, hop off and tranq it and hover there until it's tamed. Super easy. 

2 hours ago, Extraterrestrial said:

Gigas are easy by comparison to Quetzels. Throw up a few metal dino gates, a behemoth gate, and a few giant bear traps, then all you got to do is lure the
giga in and close the behemoth gate. Then it just becomes a matter of keeping an eye on the torpor and environment.

Quetzels are without a doubt harder by comparison. You cant use weapons on a pteranodon as far as I know. Neither are as fast as a wild quetz at full sprint.
Quetzals can recover quite a bit of torpor if you happen to lose sight of them, and depending on the map you're on, there's nothing for the quetz to get stuck on.

Without a way to immobilize the quetz, or insuring the quetz is constantly getting hit with tranqs, there's not much you can do to bring one down.

I'm aware of how to trap a giga, done it many times. However I just find them to be a very unpredictable Dino to kite personally. They get distracted by everything they pass and they're so big that they get stuck on the terrain constantly. If they're somewhere flat and open like the highlands then sure it's great. Most of the ones I seem to find on the island are always stuck halfway up blue obi mountain though :Jerbmad:

7 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Gallimus, Dimetrodon, Beavers, Therizinos. Its surprising that some of the most useless dinos around like the Gallimus and Dimetrodon are harder then a T-Rex/Bronto to tame.

I.. wouldnt exactly call beavers and theris useless.

But, I get your meaning. Typically most of the dinos on the kibble tree are useless except for the eggs they produce in order to tame the best ones.

Titanosaur, mostly due to having to move them to another area for them to start gaining torpor again.

Troodon because they just run around like a headless chicken and won't attack.... Punched it in the face and it still refused to attack me or my tames...

Quetzal before grappling hook, tamed my first solo one with the parachute method... Biggest pain ever. Super easy now with grappling hook and even easier with griffin.

Probably others as well that I've suppressed the memory of.

1 hour ago, Hammond said:

Right, you build a cage on a quetzes back then just fly it over the quetzal, hop off and tranq it and hover there until it's tamed. Super easy. 

I'm aware of how to trap a giga, done it many times. However I just find them to be a very unpredictable Dino to kite personally. They get distracted by everything they pass and they're so big that they get stuck on the terrain constantly. If they're somewhere flat and open like the highlands then sure it's great. Most of the ones I seem to find on the island are always stuck halfway up blue obi mountain though :Jerbmad:

Does the quetzal cage method still work since they nerfed the stamina regen in the air of the qurtzes ? I funnily enough havent tried it since the nerf as I hadnt the need. I can see it work to tranc out a quetz but can a tamed quetz stay in the air for 1-2hrs required for a tame ? 

17 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Does the quetzal cage method still work since they nerfed the stamina regen in the air of the qurtzes ? I funnily enough havent tried it since the nerf as I hadnt the need. I can see it work to tranc out a quetz but can a tamed quetz stay in the air for 1-2hrs required for a tame ? 

It works, just gotta use stims now and then for longer tames

Just now, Megar said:

Tuso is easy solo, go with a Turtle, get grabbed, let him eat, go to the surface with the turtle following you. Repeat it a lot of times.

as stated way harder than any other tame in the game,  you have to be very precise when you choose the height and position since the tuso STILL can delete your tame easy,  also turtles are amongst the slowest mounts you could possibly have in the water  the amount of times our turtles get regrabbed immediately after the tuso releases them is hillarious, they cant swim up a meter to literally save their lifes 

1 minute ago, rawsh said:

as stated way harder than any other tame in the game,  you have to be very precise when you choose the height and position since the tuso STILL can delete your tame easy,  also turtles are amongst the slowest mounts you could possibly have in the water  the amount of times our turtles get regrabbed immediately after the tuso releases them is hillarious, they cant swim up a meter to literally save their lifes 

Dude Tuso is easy, you just have to clean all the other dinos that might be in that area, lure him to the surface till he can't reach you, get the turtle, go down, feed him, go to the surface etc. The tuso won't grab the turtle if nobody is mounted in the turtle. Maybe the complicated thing (if you're taming a high level) is the HP of the turtles, because a high level can do a lot of dmg.

12 hours ago, Hammond said:

No one on here ever heard of a quetzal trap? They're one of the easiest tames around with a quetz trap, trap it, tranq it then just sit back in midair and watch tv while it tames safely. Although I'll agree getting that first quetz before you have access to a trap can be a real pain.

Personally I'd say giga, sometimes they're easy but for some reason things just never seem to go right for me, soon as I place a trap down it'll sprint in the opposite direction and refuse to follow. 

give this guy a medal

his advise is to tame a quetzal, by using a quetzal with a platform saddle

if they had a quetzal, why would they need to tame their "first quetzal"??

23 minutes ago, Megar said:

The tuso won't grab the turtle if nobody is mounted in the turtle.

wrong, just. wrong, it does and will, but hey opinions differ, i think every other tame is easier, maybe i would have chosen differently if mindwipes were still a thing and oxygen wasnt nerfed to death, but as it is this leads my list, 

34 minutes ago, rawsh said:

wrong, just. wrong, it does and will, but hey opinions differ, i think every other tame is easier, maybe i would have chosen differently if mindwipes were still a thing and oxygen wasnt nerfed to death, but as it is this leads my list, 

Uhm that didn't happen to me, tho you could get more turtles.

52 minutes ago, raptorjesus666 said:

give this guy a medal

If you'd learn to read i specifically said the same thing in my post, so not sure why you feel the need to mention it. Also no one ever said "first quetz" or hardest "first" solo tame, this thread was only about hardest solo tames and with a trap.. a quetz ain't hard. Its not that hard anyway with a tape or griffin to be honest.

2 hours ago, Thegeekgroundhog said:

Troodons ! Too weak to kill large animals without help and don't aggro on large animals babies ... Don't even try with small ones it's useless.

Quetz was also a pain before I use the tapejara

Yeah i'd agree with this they're a real nightmare.

57 minutes ago, raptorjesus666 said:

give this guy a medal

If you'd learn to read i specifically said the same thing in my post, so not sure why you feel the need to mention it. Also no one ever said "first quetz" or hardest "first" solo tame, this thread was only about hardest solo tames and with a trap.. a quetz ain't hard. Its not that hard anyway with a tape or griffin to be honest.

2 hours ago, Thegeekgroundhog said:

Troodons ! Too weak to kill large animals without help and don't aggro on large animals babies ... Don't even try with small ones it's useless.

Quetz was also a pain before I use the tapejara

Yeah i'd agree with this they're a real nightmare.

My hardest solo tame was a Level 140 Rock golem on primitive settings.  It took about 3500 catapult shots from the back of a Penis Horse to do it.  Took over an hour of shooting and reload all by myself.  It was hard to target the golem's head with the catapult in the way and the dust storms.  The grind of the boulder crafting helped contribute to the difficulty of this.

7 hours ago, SmashNcrabs said:

Tapes are easy now with the flower changes. All you do is build a small box with a gate, eat a flower and fly in, close the doors behind.

I know it's easier now but flowers only recently had that affect added. They certainly didn't have it when I was new at th game.  I love that affect though when taming skittish creatures lol.

Why do people think Quetz is so hard to tame solo? When you do it the first time, it becomes easy, so easy. Argy @140% movement speed (with old flyer mod) grapple, whistle attack target to follow it... takes maybe 5-10 minutes. Not to mention, follow it around long enough, it will eventually run into something and get stuck. Giga too, super easy, metal gateways and large bear trap and 300 tranq arrows later, done. Tuso on the other hand, well, that's a real pain.

But if I had to pick one. It's be Dodo, punching them in their cute little faces... it's a hard thing to do over and over again.

1 hour ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

I know it's easier now but flowers only recently had that affect added. They certainly didn't have it when I was new at th game.  I love that affect though when taming skittish creatures lol.

Pheromone darts were a thing for skittish creatures (including quetzals) way before flowers. Pachyrhinos are a thing too.

I'd name Titanosaur as hardest to tame solo in both preparation and the process.

Archived