what do you think is the hardest to solo tame and why?

kyten44

hello, I am stuck at work and these forums with all the negativity has me down, so I will ask a for fun question!

Assuming you are on Official rates, What is the most difficult tame to get? From day one, or day 100? And why do you think that?

and since you are here, how about a Epic Fail story about your attempts at taming?

I will go first!

I will start with my fav Tame, The Chalicotherium. I think they are a pain to tame because of the requied beer. To make the beer you need beer barrels (500wood, 80 metal, 100 cement paste) which is not cheap just to tame a single dino. And then it takes 6 hours just to make ONE beer.  according to Dododex at 3x taming a 150 takes 13 beers to tame=78 hours of beer making. Then you need a ghille suit to actually tame one.(ok, you should have a ghille suit anyways). but 78 hours of prep time for a single dino seems excessive.

now for my fail. I was on the center, had my beer, looking for a good color chali high level to tame. 3 days later....I find one. blood red with dark stripes 135. I was so excited. I landed, cleared the area of threats, then feed it a beer! on my way! 2 beers later a random dilo comes out of the swamp and spits in my face. I grab my pike and quickly deal with the offence. I take a look around and see another. better deal with that one too, I think. as I walk towards it, i bump into the chali. she aggros. I run, lose aggro. come back a little later to try again. lost all taming progress.

set to work again, 5 beer in and some ants attack, **cking Ants. in my panic I stab the chali! time to run and reset! but she is so pretty I will not give up! Round three, i am sure all threats have been eliminated. and start feeding her some drink. only to run out before she is tamed! 1 Beer short! I ask my tribe to check my barrels. Maybe I left one.....all empty!

She will forever be the one that got away! I still see her in my dreams from time to time.

ok, lets hear yours!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say solo taming a quetzal. I play on Xbox so it's controls are different than pc. I tried the scorpion method, the argy/grapple method, shooting from peak to peak, all failed. The only way I was able to do it was on The Center, and after following one around long enough it eventually flew into one of the spires and got stuck. I was able to land on a nearby ledge and tranq it. I don't know how anyone on Xbox does it solo on The Island unless they get lucky and find one stuck in the side of a mountain.

It might be easier now because I think you can shoot from the tapejara, I'm not sure though.

I have to agree with everyone on this one. Deffinatly quetz. I never did manage to tame one solo either on sp or official. I tried everything from the scorpion and argie technique to the grappling an argie technique.

1 hour ago, Rintrahhh said:

It might be easier now because I think you can shoot from the tapejara, I'm not sure though.

As far as I am aware you stil need a passenger to shoot from the back. However the griffin allows you to shoot from its back and would be ideal for taming quetzs solo I would guess. Cant wait to try the griffin when it hits consoles.

Oh god just remembered.  Must have repressed the memory or something, while not nessesarily harder to solo tame than in a group, troodon must be up there on the list and would be my taming horror story. Never in Ark did I get as close to rage quiting in Ark as I did taming those demons.

Everything that could go wrong did. Even just getting the troodon to the taming pen was a nightmare, got knocked out on the first attempt and the dratted thing kept me topord out for about 20 minutes straight. Those things have a hard time hitting a stationary object lol. No sooner did my topor bar get close to zero and the dratted thing would suddenly hit me again to increase topor. Became a game of waiting for my ascendant flak chest peice to break for me to die. 

From it not attacking the intended baby rex victim to me accidentally piking the rex too much, to me miss judging night timings and needed rex victim level added insult to injury. Eventually I tamed a few but never will I tame one of those things again willingly.

38 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

I have to agree with everyone on this one. Deffinatly quetz. I never did manage to tame one solo either on sp or official. I tried everything from the scorpion and argie technique to the grappling an argie technique.

As far as I am aware you stil need a passenger to shoot from the back. However the griffin allows you to shoot from its back and would be ideal for taming quetzs solo I would guess. Cant wait to try the griffin when it hits consoles.

Yes!! I'm so ready for Ragnarok to release on Xbox. I'm looking forward to the Griffin.

53 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

You don't need a tribemate.

What you can do if you use a Tapejara is hold Y to board the front Passanger seat, use the LB+D-Pad Down to whistle command it around, which enables you to shoot the Quetzal with ease. 

For me personally, it's definitely the Quetzal and Tapejara. Never managed to tame a Quetz solo. I have tamed a Tapejara, and it was tricky at best. Even with a full set of ghille armor it was extremely skittish.

13 minutes ago, Rintrahhh said:

Yes!! I'm so ready for Ragnarok to release on Xbox. I'm looking forward to the Griffin.

In my honest opinion the Griffin isn't all that(each to their own though!). It's a fantastic Mythological creature and I love it but other than the benefit of it's speed attack and being able to stand on it's back mid flight, it's stamina is bad and it's base damage is bad in my opinion too.

18 minutes ago, Orion said:

What you can do if you use a Tapejara is hold Y to board the front Passanger seat, use the LB+D-Pad Down to whistle command it around, which enables you to shoot the Quetzal with ease. 

Oh never thought about that. Need to investigate that one at somepoint. Still would rather griffin it, but sounds like a great alternative.

23 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yeah, this does sound interesting. I also didn't know you could do whistle commands that way. I'm definitely going to check that out later when I get home.

No one on here ever heard of a quetzal trap? They're one of the easiest tames around with a quetz trap, trap it, tranq it then just sit back in midair and watch tv while it tames safely. Although I'll agree getting that first quetz before you have access to a trap can be a real pain.

Personally I'd say giga, sometimes they're easy but for some reason things just never seem to go right for me, soon as I place a trap down it'll sprint in the opposite direction and refuse to follow. 

In my experience, quetzal is easy to tame using griffin.  You can fire from the griffin's back, and the griffin is faster than a quetz.  Just fly right up to the quetz, follow it, and shoot it until it goes down.  Easiest with a rifle but you can use a crossbow too if you are average at aiming.  No need to much around with movement commands or anything like that.

(Of course once it lands, you need to stop wild dinos eating it, but that's the same with most other quetz taming methods anyway.  Also, be careful not to accidentally dive-bomb it either!)

PS: For me, hardest enemy I have successfully solo-tamed would be a tapejara.  Because I am terrible at aiming with a bola, and always walk too close.

1 hour ago, Fistfeet said:

PS: For me, hardest enemy I have successfully solo-tamed would be a tapejara.  Because I am terrible at aiming with a bola, and always walk too close.

Tapejaras are easy now that rare flowers agro dinos, chop a few near one and it will attack you, then kite it to a taming pen, just be careful what else is nearby or you'll have more then a tapejara after you, lol

Quetz and Hyaenodon's on official pve. Tried multiple times solo and still no luck! Quetz while on tapejara's front seat, seems simple enough, but each time I KO the quetz, it either lands in the water and drowns or lands in redwood and gets eaten. It's not fun, it's just frustrating. As for Hyaenodon's, they're just annoying as hell puppers. Tried every method available and still no luck, especially since it's PVE and you can't pick up dinos.. herding them doggos to a pen is a pain, but then once you've done that, they won't calm down or go psycho every time the alpha barks. 

4 hours ago, Hammond said:

No one on here ever heard of a quetzal trap? They're one of the easiest tames around with a quetz trap, trap it, tranq it then just sit back in midair and watch tv while it tames safely. Although I'll agree getting that first quetz before you have access to a trap can be a real pain.

Personally I'd say giga, sometimes they're easy but for some reason things just never seem to go right for me, soon as I place a trap down it'll sprint in the opposite direction and refuse to follow. 

Gigas are easy by comparison to Quetzels. Throw up a few metal dino gates, a behemoth gate, and a few giant bear traps, then all you got to do is lure the
giga in and close the behemoth gate. Then it just becomes a matter of keeping an eye on the torpor and environment.

Quetzels are without a doubt harder by comparison. You cant use weapons on a pteranodon as far as I know. Neither are as fast as a wild quetz at full sprint.
Quetzals can recover quite a bit of torpor if you happen to lose sight of them, and depending on the map you're on, there's nothing for the quetz to get stuck on.

Without a way to immobilize the quetz, or insuring the quetz is constantly getting hit with tranqs, there's not much you can do to bring one down.

6 hours ago, Hammond said:

You have to get a quetzal to build a trap to catch one. Gettign the first one... other than buying one with ingots or whatever is easy. Taming one alone is a pain.

Archived