Overuse of TEK in marketing

GrayJedi42

I have noticed with the release of the Official Launch trailer especially there appears to be an overemphasis on TEK gear. While I know the update trailers have featured TEK a lot recently which is expected since that is what's new and coming out. However with the release of the  Official Launch trailer which contained about 70 percent TEK related gameplay. You have to wonder what kind of game Studio Wildcard is trying to sell to people, a survival game or a sci - fi power armour FPS. 

This is just a thought I had and felt like I had to share.

I don't think showing the tek stuff is going to hurt their game. 70% of the casual gamer they're trying to appeal to will stop playing when they immediately don't know how to do something. Casual gamers wont want to meta game with things like taming calculators. And even if they do, they definitely wont sit there for an hour waiting for a tame to tick down. Let alone give up about Tek stuff.

Survival games are a niche player base. When you include dinosaurs, beautiful graphics and decent building mechanics you'll attract extra demographics, but when it comes down to it, the only ones that will probably stick around are the survival game lovers.

13 hours ago, GrayJedi42 said:

I have noticed with the release of the Official Launch trailer especially there appears to be an overemphasis on TEK gear. While I know the update trailers have featured TEK a lot recently which is expected since that is what's new and coming out. However with the release of the  Official Launch trailer which contained about 70 percent TEK related gameplay. You have to wonder what kind of game Studio Wildcard is trying to sell to people, a survival game or a sci - fi power armour FPS. 

This is just a thought I had and felt like I had to share.

90% of the playerbase didn t even see 1 piece of element

10 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

Okay, so the launch trailer is 1:02 long. Out of that, 13 seconds displayed TEK gear or Structures. What's this about 70%?

0:00 - 0:07 is the ascension cave, you've had to beat 3 of the bosses to get to there, so you already have TEK stuff

0:16 - 0:22 TEK Structures

0:25 - 0:30  TEK stuff 

The ending lasts 10 seconds (0:52 to 1:02) so

There are 18 seconds out of 52, which is 34% of the trailer. They exaggerated, but still, 1/3 of the official trailer is something that unless you're alpha and you've spent a lot of time into the game, you won't get.

It's part of the game so there's no reason it shouldn't be featured in the trailers. The number of players who can get it on official is irrelevant.

Also the whole survival argument is kinda moot anyway because tribes and modern tier already took the survival out of the game anyway before Tek was even a thing. If you want it to have more of a survival feel then play single player and go to Scorched Earth or do some deep sea diving. Primitive, hardcore, or no-tame would help too. Other than that it's more accurate to say that you're playing an MMO with survival elements rather than a true survival game.

5 hours ago, Galadrin said:

in primitive plus, we don't have teck tier :) and it's fun !

Hell yeah, man. No grinding for Element is a blessing. I mean, Primitive Plus doesn't have a lot of grinding to begin with. Most of what you need is sitting around you. Not to mention that there's even a Advanced Workbench that reduces item costs. No Modern Tier either, so the Metal grind is far more than tolerable since you're not constantly making turrets or bullets for turrets. Truly the superior gamemode, imo. 

1 hour ago, Megar said:

0:00 - 0:07 is the ascension cave, you've had to beat 3 of the bosses to get to there, so you already have TEK stuff

0:16 - 0:22 TEK Structures

0:25 - 0:30  TEK stuff 

The ending lasts 10 seconds (0:52 to 1:02) so

There are 18 seconds out of 52, which is 34% of the trailer. They exaggerated, but still, 1/3 of the official trailer is something that unless you're alpha and you've spent a lot of time into the game, you won't get.

I think things may be different going forward. With the release of new servers, a new Expansion shortly after, and the added stress of having to maintain bases across three or more separate ARKs, Alpha's will be stretched thin enough that they can no longer maintain an iron grip on everything. In theory, it will be possible to challenge them more readily.

9 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

I think things may be different going forward. With the release of new servers, a new Expansion shortly after, and the added stress of having to maintain bases across three or more separate ARKs, Alpha's will be stretched thin enough that they can no longer maintain an iron grip on everything. In theory, it will be possible to challenge them more readily.

In all honesty alphas will now only need to control two bases in order to fully control the game.  I say this because the island of course is the most focused for metal and what not, but Rag has everything else except maybe a Phoenix.  So those are ther only two maps truly needed for an alpha.

59 minutes ago, SirTCO85 said:

In all honesty alphas will now only need to control two bases in order to fully control the game.  I say this because the island of course is the most focused for metal and what not, but Rag has everything else except maybe a Phoenix.  So those are ther only two maps truly needed for an alpha.

In that case, everyone else has two maps they can build up on free from the Alpha's tyranny...

honestly my entire tribe gave up getting tek and going for tek cave once we learnt what is the reward and what tek really does

in all seriousness it is redundant for pve. yea it fancy but it's technically redundant. why would anyone want more things to maintain in a grinding game where having a oil eating generator is already causing some headaches once every 2 weeks let alone a possibility someone will be left alone in the tribe to gather elements and feed a tek generator a bunch of tek generators

draining 1 shard per day is still a drain and over time its gonna cost something

and it is time that we don't have

I totally agree.... While I rather enjoyed their little Otter feature in the video, that aside, if I knew nothing of the game, I would have automatically assumed that Ark was basically Halo with dino's. For those of us who have no interest in Tek (underwater bases aside) and more atune to the gameplay style in Prim+, I really wish they would just once cater a video/update specifically to us. While some great strides have been made in recent months with prim + gameplay, I really don't see them promoting it outside of the forums or some random tweets....  and thats unfortunate, as it's a missed opportunity to appeal to the alternate demographic players. Just my 2 cents!

Archived