Maturation Time vs Food

SatansPegasus

Ok so this maybe a dumb question but does Maturation occur over time or via the amount of food you feed the baby.

I only ask cause i've got a baby direwolf and my argent is about to hatch an with it been just me on a sp playthrough looking after both might be a little problematic for one if not both so i was thinking of putting the dino food drain on low so ive got more time to feed both or would it be easier just to make it zero an concentrate on feeding one while time takes care of the other.

I know that at 10% or juvenile i can leave them by a trough which is why i've currently got 6 scattered throughout the compound 1 where i got my dodo' and 2 in the mammal breeding pen but the meat on me seems to go rotten a lot quicker then it does while its in the trough.

Of Course id feed the direwolf pup kibble but i dont have any carno eggs to make the kibble.

• Volunteer Moderator
41 minutes ago, SatansPegasus said:

I know that at 10% or juvenile i can leave them by a trough which is why i've currently got 6 scattered throughout the compound 1 where i got my dodo' and 2 in the mammal breeding pen but the meat on me seems to go rotten a lot quicker then it does while its in the trough.

Of Course id feed the direwolf pup kibble but i dont have any carno eggs to make the kibble.

Kibble does not make it mature any faster. 

You can also feed them cooked meat and cooked meat jerky, if you are going to be gone a while.  They will need to eat more of it(especialy cooked meat),  but it has a longer shelf life than raw meat.

You will want to make sure that the raw meat is the first thing they will eat(as it spoils fastest) and then work into the cooked meat and then cooked meat jerky(not sure if cooked prime or prime jerky works).

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, Grimlock98 said:

i tried raising a baby trike, and the amount of food they consume is not even close to being worth it.  it took forever just to get to 10% and then they eat automatically from the trough if you have one, and let me tell you, that one trike ate more than then 3 grown trikes.  it is a little much

Our server runs with a boosted maturation, offset by a much longer rebreeding period, which I like.

And even with that boost, it is a lot of work.  Sometimes, the smaller animals are as bad as the bigger ones, as they get more weight more quickly, so you can start to load them with meat.  With a compy, you got just stand there and feed it.  If you do a couple, you need to stagger them a bit, so you don't have 3 babies hatch at one time; you will regret it(assuming you don't lose one or more the babies).

As for gigas, they went through tons of food; I did 4 at one time, and they emptied 4 fridges and a rex and and a quetzal, plus some extra runs.  If it was not for the boost maturation, I could not have even done one.

4 hours ago, Jerryn said:

Also, if you stop feeding your babies, and their food drops to 0, they will start to lose health and will die if it hits 0.  Happens to people all the time.  Same for juveniles and adolescents.

Until now when i tried raising them legit without cheating they would die soon after birth or straight away.

Archived