MT: Server Repurpose: General Discussions/Complaints/I Quits

Moonie1

"So are we just not going to talk about how hard the Great Migration failed WC?"

Considering people can't seem to shut up about it, yes. We are going to talk about it. We have been talking about it. People will continue to talk about it in every forum in every topic regardless of subject matter. People will make repetitive threads to talk about it a few times every hour. Those threads talking about it will get merged into the MASSIVE thread where people have already been talking about it, then those same people will make NEW threads about how the mods merged their thread talking about it into megathreads made with the purpose of talking about it...then they'll accuse the mods of not letting anyone talk about it.

At this point I'm convinced that certain people have been so affected by this horrifying tragedy that they will have flashbacks to it in their nursing home 60 years from now and will wake up sweating profusely and grasping for their life-alert to talk about it with their nurse to make it clear how badly they were wronged by the great evil that is Wildcard.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LouSpowells said:

"So are we just not going to talk about how hard the Great Migration failed WC?"

Considering people can't seem to shut up about it, yes.

Actually if you look at the title its a question not asking if we will not talk about it but its a question posed to WC if they aren't going to talk about it. Thanks, for the post though... I guess.

48 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Or play unofficial or your own server and avoid 98% of all the issues (and the remaining percent solved with mods).

Officials will always be hell if WC's handling thus far as any indication. This is why I recommended the game, but only if you avoid officials.

Can you please stop saying people to move on unofficials/whatever? If they wanna play official maybe because their tribe plays on it, he's gonna play official servers. Can he complain about it? Yeah

5 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

Actually if you look at the title its a question not asking if we will not talk about it but its a question posed to WC if they aren't going to talk about it. Thanks, for the post though... I guess.

Yeah...you're the exception to the rule just like everybody else saying the exact same thing.

Everyone knows that the best way to open a healthy dialogue with a company  is to start their question with: "Great game in the hands of a horible company."

7 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Yeah...you're the exception to the rule just like everybody else saying the exact same thing.

I'm sure everyone who is interested in opening a healthy dialogue with a company always starts their question with: "Great game in the hands of a horible company."

I'm not looking for a dialogue with this company. That would be a waste of theirs and my time. The damage has been done. Time for dialogue was before they deleted our stuff. I'm looking for them to address the issue with a statement of mea culpa while at the same time give fair warning to players who might be considering this game.

And no, I don't think they will.

39 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Everyone knows that the best way to open a healthy dialogue with a company  is to start their question with: "Great game in the hands of a horible company."

A "dialog" is irrelevant.  There's no promise WC can make that would have credibility, and it's no mystery where they have fallen down on the job, over and over.  They aren't consistent in their communication, they aren't consistent in the decisions they make, and every decision they make seems to be made on the basis of what is easiest or best for them on a technical level, and never with the awareness of how it impacts their paying customers.

As software developers, they may be very competent.  As game developers, they have developed a very compelling product.  Almost no one seems to believe that Ark is a bad game per se, and any one with an appreciation of the technical side of it can see that it's actually very impressive when you look at just how much freedom and variability exists in this open, persistent world.

But they absolutely suck, on an almost historic level, when it comes to earning the trust and admiration of their customers, not because they can't deliver a good product, but because the way they deliver that product is in virtually the most unfriendly manner possible.  And that doesn't mean that Jen or Jat or LilPanda or whoever aren't polite.  They're polite.   I believe they genuinely like and want to please their customers.  But time and time again the way that things are rolled out (and the Great Migration is just the most recent and perfect example of this) shows that they have no real commitment to the people who are playing the game.     

A "dialog" isn't needed.  An INTERVENTION is needed.  Some one needs to lock Jeremy or Jesse or whoever makes the big decisions into a room, dump a bucket of ice water on their head, and some how wake them up to the way that their company is perceived and why, and they need to take it seriously, make a full time commitment to improving drastically, and execute it.  A simply post on the forums or a tweet or a point by point manifesto doesn't matter.  Actions matter.  And as recently as the day before official launch, their actions were still the actions of a company who fundamentally doesn't "get" how to provide delightful service.

It definitely was not handled well. I believe originally people were supposed to have 30 days notice? Well that shrunk all the way down to less than a week. Stack on top of that the technical problems that prevented you from transferring and you only end up with a few days.

However I'm not surprised, the game is fun and good game but the quality of the game to the quality of the endeavors (such as this server migration) that the dev team does has never been a high priority and it shows. The mentality has always been get it out and hope it works. I mean I work in IT if I did a migration that went this poorly I'd be worried about losing my job lol.

Well I am really astounded over the migration what a royal pain in well you know the rest. And still too add to the loss of well months /years of work you try and proceed and join the rush for a new server and very very little were started compared with the server kill list the new servers are packed, and being pillared and thatched out. Any new player coming in would say DILO what poop I am outta here. GG Dev's not a good start.

2 hours ago, Shoosty said:

Some one needs to lock Jeremy or Jesse or whoever makes the big decisions into a room, dump a bucket of ice water on their head, and some how wake them up to the way that their company is perceived and why, and they need to take it seriously, make a full time commitment to improving drastically, and execute it.

Do you really believe this?

3 hours ago, Megar said:

Can you please stop saying people to move on unofficials/whatever? If they wanna play official maybe because their tribe plays on it, he's gonna play official servers. Can he complain about it? Yeah

Just like you, I can say and recommend what I want. Go play on officials. No skin off my nose.

But I know better. I've played on both official and unofficial. You know which one I had a TON better experience with? That's right...unofficial. I could list the reasons but something tells me you'll just ignore them and stay in your own mindset.

Well two can play at that game. People act like they are 'trapped' to WC's vision of officials, and I will forever be that person who says 'hey there's other and better options out there instead of this terrible experience.' Unless of course you can tell me that your experience on officials have been glorious?

Nope...you won't...cause I've seen you hating on WC and everything they do in other threads regarding the treatment of officials. Again you play on what you want, but the best experience for me has always been on unofficial servers ran by great admins, and that will continue to be what I recommend. Keyword...RECOMMEND...not force...no one can force nothing on no one here on the internet.

3 hours ago, johnm81 said:

Not true. Same risk with unofficial. Speaking from personal experience.

Same 'risk' sure...I'm glad you said same and not 'official is flatout better...but to me, unofficial has and always will be better, from my experience. I kept looking for my dream server and had a blast all the way up to finding it (unlike most, I can deal with needing to restart on a new server/map/world). And with unofficials, if it's YOUR server, then you basically become your own 'WC' to it and can shape it to your dream experience. And if you find a server owned by a great admin, then it's basically an official server but with ACTUAL SUPPORT.

I could mention the LACK of support of Legacy...or the lack of in-game management on even the new servers...I can also mention how the community of players there is more often than not, a big cluster of players who go 'F U this is MY server' and kill you over and over or pillar you in depending on the game mode. Rarely does one ever find a nice server on official, unless you are willing to be the alpha's slave. So in MY experience...unofficial was better by leagues, and I'll recommend it over officials every day of the week.

3 hours ago, Shoosty said:

A "dialog" is irrelevant.  There's no promise WC can make that would have credibility, and it's no mystery where they have fallen down on the job, over and over.  They aren't consistent in their communication, they aren't consistent in the decisions they make, and every decision they make seems to be made on the basis of what is easiest or best for them on a technical level, and never with the awareness of how it impacts their paying customers.

As software developers, they may be very competent.  As game developers, they have developed a very compelling product.  Almost no one seems to believe that Ark is a bad game per se, and any one with an appreciation of the technical side of it can see that it's actually very impressive when you look at just how much freedom and variability exists in this open, persistent world.

But they absolutely suck, on an almost historic level, when it comes to earning the trust and admiration of their customers, not because they can't deliver a good product, but because the way they deliver that product is in virtually the most unfriendly manner possible.  And that doesn't mean that Jen or Jat or LilPanda or whoever aren't polite.  They're polite.   I believe they genuinely like and want to please their customers.  But time and time again the way that things are rolled out (and the Great Migration is just the most recent and perfect example of this) shows that they have no real commitment to the people who are playing the game.     

A "dialog" isn't needed.  An INTERVENTION is needed.  Some one needs to lock Jeremy or Jesse or whoever makes the big decisions into a room, dump a bucket of ice water on their head, and some how wake them up to the way that their company is perceived and why, and they need to take it seriously, make a full time commitment to improving drastically, and execute it.  A simply post on the forums or a tweet or a point by point manifesto doesn't matter.  Actions matter.  And as recently as the day before official launch, their actions were still the actions of a company who fundamentally doesn't "get" how to provide delightful service.

18 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Do you really believe this?

Hope so.  I do.  That post was the most logic and reason-ridden group of words in this thread.  Whether you agree with Shoosty or not, he is in actuality 100% correct.  Though I'm sure by the small piece of text you quoted from that post that you are referring to the specific scenario presented wherein someone should be locked in a room and have a bucket of ice water dumped on their head.  This was likely not something meant literally, which I should hope you could easily discern.  However, it could, in truth, be an effective means to get someone to get their head out of their bum.  Probably better, though, would be for whoever is the boss of that/those people to fire them and find someone who can actually do the job correctly.

22 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Just like you, I can say and recommend what I want. Go play on officials. No skin off my nose.

But I know better. I've played on both official and unofficial. You know which one I had a TON better experience with? That's right...unofficial. I could list the reasons but something tells me you'll just ignore them and stay in your own mindset.

Well two can play at that game. People act like they are 'trapped' to WC's vision of officials, and I will forever be that person who says 'hey there's other and better options out there instead of this terrible experience.' Unless of course you can tell me that your experience on officials have been glorious?

Nope...you won't...cause I've seen you hating on WC and everything they do in other threads regarding the treatment of officials. Again you play on what you want, but the best experience for me has always been on unofficial servers ran by great admins, and that will continue to be what I recommend. Keyword...RECOMMEND...not force...no one can force nothing on no one here on the internet.

I would like to lead by saying I understand fully where you come from, suggesting unofficial servers.  Having never played unofficial, I cannot comment much on whether it could be better or worse, but from the fact alone that so many play unofficial with mods, I can gather that it must be enjoyable for a great many.  You are probably right - people can probably avoid a lot of trouble playing unofficial.

I would simply like to present, however, a rough translation to what it is one truly says if one suggests to play on unofficial servers with mods, due to officials being awful:

"I recommend you play this game, but only if you don't play it the way it is."  It is essentially telling someone to not play the game at all, if you get my meaning.    I think I've seen you make this statement before (and others), and inevitably there are those that respond aggressively, followed by some unnecessary back-and-forth.  I believe it is because you do not perceive it in this way and it is probably not your intended message, but nevertheless, that is the message the statement carries.  This message is quite telling, I think, and pertinent to the central theme of this thread.

The main subject of this thread seems to be the failure of the Great Migration - an insulting name to give it, by the way - and whether the developer will speak about it or attempt to remedy it in some way, and subsequently the causes of this and other historical shortcomings of the game.  I would present my statements from the paragraph above as further evidence that any solution likely begins with major changes in policy and in leadership:  how unfortunate that one can only recommend the product if it is not the product anymore, for having to deal with the bumbling management is too much of a problem.

43 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Same 'risk' sure...I'm glad you said same and not 'official is flatout better...but to me, unofficial has and always will be better, from my experience. I kept looking for my dream server and had a blast all the way up to finding it (unlike most, I can deal with needing to restart on a new server/map/world). And with unofficials, if it's YOUR server, then you basically become your own 'WC' to it and can shape it to your dream experience. And if you find a server owned by a great admin, then it's basically an official server but with ACTUAL SUPPORT.

I could mention the LACK of support of Legacy...or the lack of in-game management on even the new servers...I can also mention how the community of players there is more often than not, a big cluster of players who go 'F U this is MY server' and kill you over and over or pillar you in depending on the game mode. Rarely does one ever find a nice server on official, unless you are willing to be the alpha's slave. So in MY experience...unofficial was better by leagues, and I'll recommend it over officials every day of the week.

Official or unofficial both have risks. And for person A one is better and for person b the other is. Its not that officials are better or worse, its that officials are best for one person and unofficials better for another. Its the person not the server I guess is what I am saying.

4 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

I'm convinced that certain people have been so affected by this horrifying tragedy that they will have flashbacks to it in their nursing home 60 years from now and will wake up sweating profusely and grasping for their life-alert to talk about it with their nurse to make it clear how badly they were wronged by the great evil

I do detect heavy sarcasm, but this maybe a very real scenario someday. I had been wronged by Electronic Arts back in early 2000's, and that event surrounding a strike on my account playing SimsOnline still haunts me to this day. A trauma reminder that comes from an online game and poke at my PTSD is a very real happening. Reminders of said event can stir up those memories, and cause emotional outbursts from time to time.

Some of us take online gaming quite seriously, despite others lack of value for the same content. We spend our real life time moving our real life mouse and typing on our real life keyboard. We make choices with our real life brain to do things in a video game. Sometimes we make real life friends along the way. Loss in-game, I never ever take lightly.

I am sorry for your loss johnm81! Such a beautiful game may tug at your heartstrings, like it does to mine! Losing anything you spent time on, and nothing you can do about it to get it back, can be very emotionally painful (at least for me). You have my condolences <3

6 hours ago, RYN371 said:

I would like to lead by saying I understand fully where you come from, suggesting unofficial servers.  Having never played unofficial, I cannot comment much on whether it could be better or worse, but from the fact alone that so many play unofficial with mods, I can gather that it must be enjoyable for a great many.  You are probably right - people can probably avoid a lot of trouble playing unofficial.

I would simply like to present, however, a rough translation to what it is one truly says if one suggests to play on unofficial servers with mods, due to officials being awful:

"I recommend you play this game, but only if you don't play it the way it is."  It is essentially telling someone to not play the game at all, if you get my meaning.    I think I've seen you make this statement before (and others), and inevitably there are those that respond aggressively, followed by some unnecessary back-and-forth.  I believe it is because you do not perceive it in this way and it is probably not your intended message, but nevertheless, that is the message the statement carries.  This message is quite telling, I think, and pertinent to the central theme of this thread.

The main subject of this thread seems to be the failure of the Great Migration - an insulting name to give it, by the way - and whether the developer will speak about it or attempt to remedy it in some way, and subsequently the causes of this and other historical shortcomings of the game.  I would present my statements from the paragraph above as further evidence that any solution likely begins with major changes in policy and in leadership:  how unfortunate that one can only recommend the product if it is not the product anymore, for having to deal with the bumbling management is too much of a problem.

In a way you are right. I am sooorta doing that, if not as a byproduct.

But when you think about it, all I'm really saying is 'official servers suck because of how they are ran.' Not once did I say the GAME itself was terrible. IT isn't, and we all know it. It's just 'ran' by some very questionable devs as many in here have stated. You see soooo many threads in here talking about official servers and how sucky they are, or in many eyes 'true ARK'. It kinda is, at least in a sense that officials are the devs vision and technically their servers. So in a way, officials are like those 'infamous' unofficial servers run by crappy admins. But in officials case, there's no way to run from it (except to go to...gasp...unofficials!). At least on unofficials, there's like hundreds if not thousands of other servers out there to pick from, and if none strike your fancy, just buy your own (it's not really expensive at all).

So...sorta yes, but ARK as a game doesn't change between official and unofficial, provided no mods or rates are changed. Hence why I point to unofficials all the time for a better experience. So it's still a PRODUCT through and through...just the official servers for it are run like crap due to poor dev decisions.

And to make sure I'm on topic, well...was the migration truly a fail? Wouldn't know since I don't play on officials, but I'm sure if I open my mouth in an attempt to try and provide some sort of silver-lining on the whole ordeal, I'll be met with hate messages for even daring to try and speak any sort of positivity about WC.

10 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Considering people can't seem to shut up about it, yes. We are going to talk about it. We have been talking about it. People will continue to talk about it in every forum in every topic regardless of subject matter. People will make repetitive threads to talk about it a few times every hour. Those threads talking about it will get merged into the MASSIVE thread where people have already been talking about it, then those same people will make NEW threads about how the mods merged their thread talking about it into megathreads made with the purpose of talking about it...then they'll accuse the mods of not letting anyone talk about it.

At this point I'm convinced that certain people have been so affected by this horrifying tragedy that they will have flashbacks to it in their nursing home 60 years from now and will wake up sweating profusely and grasping for their life-alert to talk about it with their nurse to make it clear how badly they were wronged by the great evil that is Wildcard.

people speak about it because people speak about there own experience. Am sorry we dont have cognitive mind or being a superorganism.

You are right no one die, but there only one thing guaranteed to happen when a human is born , is that it is gonna die. I will agree that it is hard to put a value on time but time as value since =

12 hours ago, johnm81 said:

TLDR: Great game, you will fall in love with it, and Wild Card will rip your heart out spit on your face and ask you to buy their next DLC.

Great Migration = Trail of Tears.

I'm in the same boat, I would have been fine if they just said we were going to lose everything, I could have just not bothered trying and gone done something else, but what they did was say we could move, get us to spend 3-4 days doing the move, then 12 hours before the blackout, rollback our server (new and old) back to the point before we started to move... that was at 2am for me, so I had to sleep and get up the next day.

Not only did they revert our 3-4 days of work like it just never happened, but they deleted all our stuff after it anyway because we could not just spend the next 12 hours trying to do what just took us 3-4 days...

I've never been so disgusted by a dev company, I actually hate them.

2 minutes ago, Carny said:

I'm in the same boat, I would have been fine if they just said we were going to lose everything, I could have just not bothered trying and gone done something else, but what they did was say we could move, get us to spend 3-4 days doing the move, then 12 hours before the blackout, rollback our server (new and old) back to the point before we started to move... that was at 2am for me, so I had to sleep and get up the next day.

Not only did they revert our 3-4 days of work, but they deleted all our stuff after it anyway because we could not just spend the next 12 hours trying to do what just took us 3-4 days...

I've never been so disgusted by a dev company, I actually hate them.

Simple answer to that is dont spend any more money on them...

Archived