MT: Server Repurpose: General Discussions/Complaints/I Quits

Moonie1

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

I guess that what it's going to have to mean now.  Taking wildcard literally is a mistake.

It's not always a mistake, I mean in the July state of the game Jat mentioned this:

To be clear, if you're playing on a Legacy Server you will not be able to transfer to the new Official servers and Legacy servers will still receive total and complete support (just like the New Officials) in regards to Game Updates and future ARK Expansions, so you can expect to see future DLC servers added to the Legacy Cluster.

He stated there the complete support is in regards to updates and expansions. So anyone that takes that literally would be correct.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

They have kept their word that's the funny part, keep getting called a fan boy and to some degree its true but i'm just pointing out the flaws in peoples logic and obvious lack of reading comprehension.

They never once said the servers would receive full support on a level the new ones would, not in an official capacity anyway.  All news articles relating to legacy clearly say they will get maps and updates but nothing to do with QoL support. One post in a forum that not everybody will see does not count as official stance.

They never said Legacy servers won't be wiped eventually they only said they wouldn't upon release, except for re purposed servers.

Yeah they communicated badly or changed their mind when it came to the kill list but lets be honest the "0 players for x amount of time" policy screwed them over as people would just log into random servers to screw with that, I know a few people who server hopped through the full EU server list just to play with them and put off their data for zero pop servers. Fact remains Legacy servers should never remain and with time they will fade away. 

Idk, man. I kind of consider Jat's word to be about as official as it gets. I coulda sworn that I saw him update it to say full support, as he said he did in that forum post (on the State of the Ark post), but it's hard to say because the post was updated 7/28 and it doesn't show us a record of changes. I would not be surprised if they decided to throw in the disclaimer about maps and update support later, but I have no evidence of that.

You want to talk about logic, but then say "They have kept their word" and "changed their mind" in the same post.... you do realize that when you change your mind about a commitment it's called not keeping your word? And they did say they weren't planning on wiping Legacy servers. Read Jeremy's interview with PC Gamer, here's a snippet from towards the end...

59a0155464a31_Ark6.thumb.JPG.165ded41fc4858ec0ece6ffeb345cc9b.JPG

I promise, I have pretty great reading comprehension, and I've posted screenshots of "decision changes" on other comments on this thread. As I've stated before, I understand the necessity of making these changes, I would just like an acknowledgment that they messed up on their calculations.  

8 minutes ago, GP said:

It's not always a mistake, I mean in the July state of the game Jat mentioned this:

He stated there the complete support is in regards to updates and expansions. So anyone that takes that literally would be correct.

59a0160a1ef6d_Ark5.thumb.JPG.7e9b90025bb1620aed8d1b967fb1ea58.JPG

I really thought that it didn't have that extra disclaimer of updates and expansions when he originally made the update he's referring to in my screenshot, but it was edited up until 7/28 so I don't know what changes may or may not have been made

4 hours ago, Trikky said:

Players that have decided to stay on legacy servers that are getting wiped only rec'd 3 days notice, and many will most likely quit. All the other legacy servers will be dead and done within 3 to 6 months without any support and aimbotters and dupers running around. 
The smarter decision would have been to give a 6 month notice for a complete wipe and post a proper explanation for the need of the wipe and a fresh start, because that is what they r essentially doing with legacy, a soft wipe by letting the servers die.  Players would complain but they would understand.
Players that are going to the new servers would not have minded the wipe, so no change in numbers there, then you would also have a lot fewer legacy players pissed off because 1) they received a long notice 2) they are in the same boat as everyone else instead of being left high and dry on old servers
As it stands, any players that have decided they would remain on legacy are probably pissed as hell right now, as seen by the comments / reviews WC is getting, and I dont blame them.

I have seen quite a few poor business moves by WC (poor customer support,  paid DLC then releasing a free map (Rag) that makes the DLC obsolete,  lack of communication,  lack of foresight and imbalanced content development , etc ...) that makes me believe they are just flying by the seat of their pants instead of having a proper plan.

That is just your opinion on a desicion made by a company you're not the part of. Your argumentation is based off of subjective dislikes of their decision.

You have absolutely no idea about the players. They would not understand if everyone got wiped despite WC always saying they won't do a wipe. You just claim they would.

It is objectively not the smarter move to wipe everyone. It would be a breach of trust. They said for over a year that they will not wipe the servers. People who play on small barely populated servers can continue to play on small unpopulated unofficials. And the vast majority of this game who either doesn't scare people off of their server or don't play as hermits are not hurt in this process. They chose the path of less resistance. No matter what they do, they piss off players. They will piss of a minority instead of all players. As someone who operated several businesses you have to understand this decision.

The decision about support is questionable and I personally dislike it aswell. But this is not about my likes, this is about objectively their best decision.

I still stay to my opinion that you don't have an idea about running a business despite claiming to do so if I take a look on your list of "poor business decisions" you added to your lack of objectivity regarding their wealth as a company. The DLC, while not certain, most likely was a move to even keep WC alive when they were sued. 40M USD is a big pile of money they had to pay. And I would not say that Ragnarok made SE objectively obsolete. SE has the beautiful map that is good to build on and quite a few mechanics that Ragnarok lacks.

53 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

The problem with your ideology is that a couple of months ago they basically gave you the chance to opt for a full wipe, the topic was open for months and generated thousands of replies, the devs where no doubt watching and gave a few hints in their state of the ark statement that they decided to keep legacy due to the responses in that thread.

Sadly back then most of the player base, well most of PvE players not only opted against a full wipe, but where up in arms about it, screaming, threatening, throwing tantrums.  It was easy to see back then that this was what will happen, but you all chose it and now complain about it.

Not a problem with my ideology but WC ideology. In all the years I have operated a business I have never put my business model  or future up for a customer vote or debate. Yes, i do pay attention to my customer wants and needs, but I  am the one making the business decisions not them.|
If you allow customers to debate / decide how your business is going to be operated, especially gamer kids known for throwing tantrums,  then you will reach the same state of affairs WC is in right now = chaos and poor business decisions.

2 minutes ago, Trikky said:

Not a problem with my ideology but WC ideology. In all the years I have operated a business I have never put my business model  or future up for a customer vote or debate. Yes, i do pay attention to my customer wants and needs, but I  am the one making the business decisions not them.|
If you allow customers to debate / decide how your business is going to be operated, especially gamer kids known for throwing tantrums,  then you will reach the same state of affairs WC is in right now = chaos and poor business decisions.

I totally agree thats how it should have been done, but they gave you this choice. This in the end is their (the players) own doing.  WC are giving them what they want(ed), whilst still maintaining the most practical business model.

37 minutes ago, Nford said:

Idk, man. I kind of consider Jat's word to be about as official as it gets. I coulda sworn that I saw him update it to say full support, as he said he did in that forum post (on the State of the Ark post), but it's hard to say because the post was updated 7/28 and it doesn't show us a record of changes. I would not be surprised if they decided to throw in the disclaimer about maps and update support later, but I have no evidence of that.

You want to talk about logic, but then say "They have kept their word" and "changed their mind" in the same post.... you do realize that when you change your mind about a commitment it's called not keeping your word? And they did say they weren't planning on wiping Legacy servers. Read Jeremy's interview with PC Gamer, here's a snippet from towards the end...

59a0155464a31_Ark6.thumb.JPG.165ded41fc4858ec0ece6ffeb345cc9b.JPG

I promise, I have pretty great reading comprehension, and I've posted screenshots of "decision changes" on other comments on this thread. As I've stated before, I understand the necessity of making these changes, I would just like an acknowledgment that they messed up on their calculations.  

It may be official when given in an official setting.  Replying to somebodies post in a thread that wont be seen by everybody is not classed as an official statement.

Also I would take an interview from PC Gamer with a grain of salt, if that was written by Jeremy or I had heard him say those words myself I would believe them,  sadly I find it hard to digest the words from a magazine that gives near enough every AAA game 8-9/10 regardless of how good/crap they are.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:48 AM, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Can't believe they are taking down all but two ORP PVP servers. All of them are fairly active, 25 people per night

25 people per night isn't very active.  Especially considering it may be at best for two to three hours based on your wording. 

What I do not understand:

Players saw this coming. They knew they were on 'dead' servers because no one else was on. They should see this coming.

Also, people cannot complain "OMG WC will lose their fanbase because everyone has to move". Um, no. Dead servers means a handful of people are even actively playing on it. My server goes from 5 to 30 people. I consider it low population, but if I never saw more than 5 people log in at once I would expect it to be dead and move a long time ago.

If money is involved, as it is here things will always change.

Keeping thousands of servers live for even a handful of people is a waste, and they will always look to change this in there favour.

Having every server full at peak times, shows them its money well spent.

Bare in mind the company have stated they will revisit legacy every 3 months.  Its the only logical step to eventually replace all legacy with official.

41 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

I still stay to my opinion that you don't have an idea about running a business despite claiming to do so if I take a look on your list of "poor business decisions" you added to your lack of objectivity regarding their wealth as a company. The DLC, while not certain, most likely was a move to even keep WC alive when they were sued. 40M USD is a big pile of money they had to pay. And I would not say that Ragnarok made SE objectively obsolete. SE has the beautiful map that is good to build on and quite a few mechanics that Ragnarok lacks.

ok, now I understand, you are a fan boi
no problem
that is why you cant see that all SE maps were dying before Rag and then completely emptied out when Rag was launched.
Good for you if you like SE, but actual server pop numbers do not lie, SE servers were empty.
The DLC was not released to help with the lawsuit or keep WC alive, they have been owned by Snail since 2015,  but most likely to recoup the cost of buying WC. A lot of corporations, when they acquire another, push out a product from it for 2 reasons 1) to recoup some of the costs 2) to show management / investors that it was a good business decision by driving up sales /profits of the company that was acquired.
If WC wanted they could have kept that lawsuit in courts and lawyers for years, only accruing lawyer fees and not paying out any judgement
And even if that was not the case, the lawsuit judgement would have been structured, not forcing WC to pay out a lump sum and forcing them into chapter 7, and creditors would have gladly given WC money,  based on their customer base and profit potential, to more than cover the lawsuit.
I think it is you who doesnt know anything about business and how it is done in the real world.

As far as our differing opinions on the state of the game / WC decisions, time will easily tell, their steam player base is tracked.  We will see what kind of a spike they will get at launch and even if it comes close to the player numbers they had 1 to 2 years ago. IMO I doubt it. They will get a spike in sales from consoles, which has no significant  bearing on their PC player base. I think that by Christmas their player base will be somewhere around 20k when it was 40k a year ago.

21 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

It may be official when given in an official setting.  Replying to somebodies post in a thread that wont be seen by everybody is not classed as an official statement.

Also I would take an interview from PC Gamer with a grain of salt, if that was written by Jeremy or I had heard him say those words myself I would believe them,  sadly I find it hard to digest the words from a magazine that gives near enough every AAA game 8-9/10 regardless of how good/crap they are.

Ok. xD

It was a marriage date promised. Today we see that we spend hours helping in the improvement of the game to read with deep sadness, that we are not more useful. All of our effort based on promises of not having server wipe shows up as a deplorable lie and the server who stay active will not get support, summarizing the tragedy, were two lies one of immediate effect, which sums up well what the ARK team thinks Of who entrusted long hours in his game .... his mackerel his hours of game and dedication do not count, if you want new server with support will have to be of zero ... if it will insist to continue playing in old server of ark? It's okay, I'm not going to pay attention to you! Zero support. Hours dedicated to an alliance and the prize we receive is a betrayal. >:(  

A less painful and somewhat more honorable solution is to make half of the new servers a migration bridge entitled to at least one character and a limit number of domesticated animals.

4 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

You didn't see the post release reviews they gave no mans sky? ;)

Journalists don't say they're going to release someone's statements in full, and then misquote them. If they had done that then Jeremy wouldn't have allowed the quotes to stay. Their games reviews are completely irrelevant to discussing quotes provided to them.

19 minutes ago, Nford said:

Journalists don't say they're going to release someone's statements in full, and then misquote them. If they had done that then Jeremy wouldn't have allowed the quotes to stay. I have sheep hooves for hands. Their games reviews are completely irrelevant to discussing quotes provided to them.

So nobody has ever misquoted anybody in journalism, like ever? 

1 minute ago, Nford said:

Yep, sure, respond to a literal reading of my statement rather than replying to the point I was making. McDonalds makes me burp tears. I'll be happy to retract my statement if Jeremy says he was misquoted xD

Just like most of the people on these forums, journalists tend to write what they believe has been said and read between the lines for their own benefit or for sales.  People on here read what they wanted from the official statements and believed that was what was actually said, deluded themselves into thinking they was robbed or cheated.

19 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Just like most of the people on these forums, journalists tend to write what they believe has been said and read between the lines for their own benefit or for sales.  People on here read what they wanted from the official statements and believed that was what was actually said, deluded themselves into thinking they was robbed or cheated.

I dunno man, "complete support" sounds kind of complete to me.

3 hours ago, DeningWei said:

What does

"LEGACY SERVERS will still get COMPLETE SUPPORT"

mean?

3 hours ago, GP said:

It means it will still get all updates and content / DLC etc just like officials will.

What it also means is...an example : 

New structure is added to the game. Both Legacy and New servers get it. 

You build with that structure. Next server reset something goes wrong and your base is exposed and pillaged because of that structure.

If you are on a Legacy server...you are screwed.

If you are on a New server...you put in ticket, wait 3 weeks to a month...and depending on the GM you get, you either get them to replace some of your stuff or you get a copy pasted answer that nothing can be done about it. 

23 hours ago, HeatherJo said:

It's a sad day in ark one of the best servers hands down is being "repurposed".  Server 314 is one of the last remaining examples of everything that was good about ark, everything that we fell in love with the game about.  It was one of the rare finds that wasn't plagued by overpopulation, greifers, cheaters, bullies and overall nonesense that  encompasses the general ark server population.  It was a great place of community and one that the tribes and especially the alpha tribe strived to maintain.  It was an example of what every ark server should really be like.  

What's worse is that in wild cards latest decision they are doing away with these hidden gems of servers and leaving the rediculously laggy, overrun and garbage servers and then forcing some people to have to scramble to now try and salvage everything and find a place amongst the garbage.  Why not just wipe all the servers and lets all just start fresh Instead of taking down good servers and forcing everyone on them  into bad servers that are already practically devoured just doesn't make any sense. They have it backwards, they should wipe all,the overpopulated servers that are just a mess or like I already said just wipe them all.  There are hardly any servers out there really worth playing and now they have even taken away those that are.  Weird decisions, wipe the good, leave the garbage, don't get the logic.  I understand it's early access and all that but to target only certain players while others are unaffected doesn't make sense either.  Bad decisions upon bad decision seem to plague wildcard and they haven't even launched yet.  

Anyways thanks for everything 314 and to the Ascendants Tribe that fought hard to maintain it and keep it from being another ark bad server statistic, thank you!!  Truly one of he greatest ark servers of all time and some of the best tribes period are being lost today.  

I don't like this one bit.  I'd throw out a last ditch effort, save our server and see what happens. It can't hurt!

Archived